Featured

Three beauty things I avoid

If you’ve been following along here for very long you probably already know that I am not a big believer in beauty “rules”. I figure if you feel pretty that’s the goal and you’re reaching it. Rules need not apply.

Buuuuut sometimes there are things that gain popularity that I think make life more complicated while also making me feel LESS pretty. So I’m calling a few of those out in this video!

If you’ve got some of your own I’d love to hear about them!

Also I wanted to say thank you so much for all of your sweet comments on my last post. So happy you’re still here! Thank you so much for all of the kindness and support, always!

25 Comments

Sarah
    May 24, 2017 at 10:32 am

A makeup artist once told me that “eyebrows are sisters, not twins.” Made perfect sense, and since then, I don’t obsess about them being any more than fairly even and very similar!

asandstrom
    May 24, 2017 at 11:28 am

I was thinking “but, but, but…” when you were talking about magnifying mirrors. Then you mentioned the one exception that applies to me. I’m nearsighted and need one to pluck the occasional stray eyebrow hair. I agree about the crazy color correcting. And same about eyebrows; had mine micro bladed a year ago. They’re not perfectly symmetrical. The can’t be. But they look great!

The one I’d add is contouring. It could work fine for a still photo shoot, I guess. But it doesn’t work in 3-D real life.

I/m also not a big fan of elaborate nail art. But that’s just me. (I’m a guitarist, so nail polish on finger nails is wasted on me anyway – the toes are a different story.)

Susan Iseman
    May 24, 2017 at 12:23 pm

I am far sighted, so I need the mag mirror to see enough to put on my eye makeup. I am not a fan of false eyelashes- I think they can be seen a mile away and it reminds me of the sixties LOL. Have never had much success with eyelash curlers either. Cara, I think you do an incredible job with the before and afters I’ve seen. Happy Memorial Day!

Erin
      May 24, 2017 at 4:12 pm

At my age, I can’t go without the magnifying mirror either. #presbyopia

Anna B
    May 24, 2017 at 12:29 pm

PREACH! i love it and totally agree. Also, I need to go find that post about the color correcting. I have a lot of rosy in my skin, but I think the green color correcting makes me look weird and I hate putting on more than one layer of make up so that post is right up my alley!!

stephanie
    May 24, 2017 at 1:09 pm

summertime always brings this one up for me but french pedicures. gross. please pick a solid color for your toes and be done with it. not to mention the toenails for a french pedicure are sometimes oddly long. I’m ‘ew’ on this whole trend.

Catherine
      June 1, 2017 at 6:25 pm

YESSSSS!!!!!

Ann Kelly
    May 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I admit to using the Floxite magnifying mirror every night before bed–just for a few minutes. Believe it or not, it relaxes me and I usually just pull a few stray hairs and look at the hydration condition of my skin to choose the product I use before bed. I agree with the color correction and it’s not really that essential to most people. The eyebrow discussion is something I needed to hear! Thanks Cara, you are looking as beautiful and healthy as ever and are glowing.

Lisa N.
    May 24, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I agree with this whole post, plus I’ll add false lashes to my own list. I get it, for a photo shoot or a special event, but not for every day wear. I don’t have time time or patience for all that mess, and that’s exactly what they end up looking on me, like a huge black mess. Plus they almost never look natural on anyone. So that’s why I nominate false lashes as a beauty item to avoid.

Beth
    May 24, 2017 at 1:37 pm

ove love LOVE the song playing in the background! In high school, my BFF had this little red portable tape player & we went around playing that song on repeat. It was awesome.

It’s so funny you mention magnifying mirrors! I was recently in Vegas & there was one in my hotel bathroom. I discovered a scary chin hair that I didn’t know was there, and now I am totally paranoid that I have more that I can’t see! I was even researching mag mirrors on amazon lately…thinking that I might buy one. I might hold off now…LOL.

Totally unnecessary – eyelash fibers. I tried them once, totally made me feel like I had slivers of fiberglass poking me in the eye all day & I promptly returned that product. I know giant, long, spidery fake eyelashes are all the rage, but in a lot of cases it makes the wearer look like a clown.

Same with all the drawn-on eyebrow products…light touch, ladies. LIGHT. TOUCH. Nobody wants to sport a permanently surprised look!

Lisa Adams
    May 24, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I beg to differ on the mag mirror. At 48, it is my best friend and I won’t go into menopause without it. Nothing is more unattractive than stray chin or upper lip hair. Also, without my glasses, I cannot see well enough to put on eye makeup, discovered this on a trip without my lit mag mirror. A must in midlife, not needed when younger. Costco has the one I own. Cheers!

closet to street
    May 25, 2017 at 5:02 pm

love this!

Allie
    May 26, 2017 at 7:59 am

I said this after your last post, but it’s so great to read your blog posts again! I’m so glad you and your lovely family are doing so well!

Kari
    May 30, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Mag mirrors are the worst!!!! I don’t own one but when I stay in some hotels, it’s right there in the morning. Then I get sucked in and begin analyzing each and every pore on my face. No one looks good in those mirrors. Hotels need to ditch them! 🙂

business news
    June 5, 2017 at 8:58 pm

business news

I believe that is among the so much vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to observation on some common things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Good activity, cheers

digital camera
    June 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm

digital camera

Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this web site.

stock quotes
    June 7, 2017 at 10:15 am

stock quotes

}

value investing
    June 8, 2017 at 4:41 am

value investing

What’s up, I read your blogs on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep up the good work!

home and family
    June 9, 2017 at 7:20 am

home and family

Thanks for another magnificent post. The place else may just anyone get that type of info in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the search for such info.

THREE BEAUTY THINGS I AVOID – Beauty Corner
    June 9, 2017 at 7:42 am

[…] Source: THREE BEAUTY THINGS I AVOID […]

sleep better
    June 9, 2017 at 10:13 pm

sleep better

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Many thanks!

Ava Kumari
    June 10, 2017 at 8:08 am

You are so beautiful and your suggestions are really nice.

M
    June 12, 2017 at 8:20 am

Every time I use my magnifying mirror I say, “you’re my best friend and worst enemy!”
    I need it for stray hairs and eyeliner, but I stop once I start inspecting my skin too closely. I have issues with enlarged pores and blackheads, but if I can’t see it from a normal distance in a regular mirror I don’t worry too much about it. I follow Paula Begoun’s advice (Paula’s Choice), she also warns against magnifying mirrors, use it to make sure your makeup is blended and then STEP AWAY! As you said, the bigger picture is more important!