Featured What's the Difference?

What’s the Difference Wednesday

It’s been a minute since I’ve had the pleasure of playing WTDW with you guys – incase you’re new here it’s all about SLOWLY scrolling so you can only see the top photo and looking if you can spot the difference in the two photos, and what I actually did to make that difference. Some are more obvious than others but it’s always fun to see exactly why we do makeup a certain way or why I recommend certain beauty efforts:)

So go ahead and take a gander at today’s installment:

Any guesses?

If you said I appear to have two totally different noses you’d be right! I actually contoured both of them. One in the way that did when I first learned contouring (the left) and one in the way I use it now (right) albeit they are both a bit exaggerated for effect.

On the left side I basically drew two dark line down the sides of my nose indiscriminately and one light line down the center. About finger width.

On the right side, I drew two very fine (and curved at the brow) lines on the top of my bridge and a very thin line down the center then blended. One BIG different to note as well is the highlight I applied to my nostrils and to the sides of the nose below my fine contour lines. You can play with the thinness here, it certainly doesn’t have to be as pointed as I’ve done but it does help diminish the focus on your nose so other features are able to shine brighter.

Nose contouring can be a tricky beast but one tip I’ll leave here in addition to the above is to face your source of light. Sit in front of a window or use vanity lighting. It’s almost impossible to do well with side lighting and still pretty tricky with overhead.

Jaclyn Levy
    August 17, 2016 at 5:22 am

Oh wow, I love WTDW posts! They are so informative and interesting and showcase the power of makeup. This one is especially great! Soon as the difference was revealed I couldn’t not notice! I’m not a big contouring person but this will be fun to play with!

Sarah-Louise Baker
    August 17, 2016 at 7:26 am

Great post! It’s so subtle until you point it out
    http://www.indigoandmouse.blogspot.com Follow me on snapchat @ indigoandmouse

August 17, 2016 at 8:05 am

Ok love your contouring tips! My only problem I have is I tend to break out with large black heads when I countour and highlight around my tzone area. Do you experience this ever?
    Thanks for your advice

August 17, 2016 at 8:41 am

My nose has a big bump near the tip (thanks horseback riding!) so I can never seem to get the line straight over that area – any tricks?

Andrea Handojo
    August 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm

So crazy how contouring can completely change your face! Who needs a nose job when you got bronzer?

August 17, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Thank you. I’ve been trying for months and rarely seem to get nose contouring right, even with my amazing Maskcara products!(And when you have a nose like this girl, ✋you need to be a contouring pro!) I’d love if you did a video tutorial soon with your updated method and maybe more details as you do it!

August 17, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This makes such a big difference. I love the thinner nosed look! I am excited to try it. 🙂

Simply Rachel Nicole

August 17, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Wow, this is great! Wish I had your skills.

August 17, 2016 at 6:31 pm

What contour kits or products do you use?

August 18, 2016 at 8:57 am

Jenifer! She has her own line! Check out maskcarabeauty.com. Great stuff!

Bookworm Beauty
    August 17, 2016 at 7:23 pm

That was CRAZY! I cannot believe how different your nose looks, it’s like you had a nose job! This post was fun & informative! What did you use to contour here?

August 18, 2016 at 8:57 am

Jenifer! She has her own line! Check out maskcarabeauty.com. Great stuff!

Kiss & Make-up
    August 18, 2016 at 3:14 am

Oh wow, yes, the difference is enormous! Well done!

August 18, 2016 at 8:06 pm

oh, i LOVE this. i rarely contour my nose because it never looks right, but i love this helpful diagram to (hopefully) thin out my nose a little. yay!

Ela Kaimo
    August 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Yay, I got it right!

August 22, 2016 at 6:54 pm

This was super helpful! I struggled with the thought of putting highlight on the sides of my nose for fear it would have a widening effect, but you fixed my fears! Thanks for teaching.

August 22, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Oh my goodness, what an amazing tip, I need to try this over the weekend! Thanks Cara!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Crystal O'Morrow
    August 24, 2016 at 10:10 am

Yes, can you do a nose contouring video??? I’m a visual learner & while the exaggerated pics are amazing, I feel like I need to actually see in detail how you apply the contour & highlight up close and how you blend them out in detail.

August 25, 2016 at 4:32 am

Oh wow! Until now, I never noticed that nose contoruing can make that much difference, I will have to try it myself!

Ela BellaWorld

August 25, 2016 at 7:30 am

I have a lot of trouble contouring my nose as I broke it twice playing high school soccer. It is now slightly crooked and has a slight bump midway down. My problems are generally that because my nose turns ever so slightly to one side the straight lines down either side exacerbate the curve and the highlighting seems to exacuarte my bump. Contouring with these guidelines actually makes it look worse. 🙁

August 25, 2016 at 7:54 am

Just wanted to pop in to say I miss you blogging regularly :/ I know you are super busy with your new little one (!!) and your beautiful new makeup (!!), but I used to check your blog daily for new posts, tips, etc. I now sometimes forget to come to the site for weeks at a time because the posts are only once every couple of weeks and are typically (not always, of the course) the same small rotation of makeovers, what’s the difference Wednesday, and a random tip or two thrown in. I almost feel bad commenting because I’m not trying to complain or not support you…really! You truly have accomplished so much through this blog and it is amazing. You should absolutely be proud of yourself for killing it with your makeup line, being a mom/wife, etc. I am just saying I miss your blog, for what it’s worth. I was truly a loyal, regular reader, so to see your blog slip out of my daily blog checks has been pretty sad for me. And maybe your goal all along was to use the blog as a platform for launching your makeup line and you were always going to dial back the posting once you launched your line. But, if that’s the case, will you tell us/post about it/let us know for the sake of a little closure? Kind of like when Young House Love was toning back on their posting, having much shorter posts, etc….I think we were all hanging on and hoping it would change until they finally came out and told us what we had started noticing ourselves (that they were stopping with the blogging regularly). Is that what’s happening here?? Anyways, I support you and your choices, and you are doing great things! Just felt like finally commenting about this since it has been on my mind…

August 30, 2016 at 11:27 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

August 30, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I have been wondering this as well. Missing your regular posts so much!

September 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Very nicely worded! When I first found this blog, it was such a wealth of info to catch up on & I loved getting waking up to my email notification in the morning. This blog was one of the reasons I started getting into makeup as an adult because there were so many helpful tips and recommendations. I hope you find the time to come back to it regularly one day!

August 29, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Please help me!! I want to love your product so much! I have purchased multiple contour and highlight colours, but they don’t seem to work for me! I have tried primers, moisturizing, exfoliating, and no matter what I do, the highlight (especially) is so flaky and sits on top of my skin rather than soaking in! It goes on beautifully, then an hour later it is sitting on top of my skin and doesn’t look natural at all! what am I doing wrong? Is it just too dry up here in Canada?? I want to purchase the double decker and load it up, but I’m scared I’ll keep having this issue. Any advice??

September 7, 2016 at 7:34 am

As a make-up passionate, I have to thank you for this post. It really reveals the power of make-up. Although I have noticed the difference from the beginning, this is definitely something to learn from!

September 7, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I have a thin nose and want to make it look a bit wider, so thank you so much for the “bad” contour example. I’ll be using that on me for the effect I’m going for. On another note, you have a heart of gold and you are a great reminder to us all that true beauty comes from within!

Haley Milligan
    September 22, 2016 at 9:38 pm

I really had no idea how contouring the nose so simply can have such a dramatic effect on the before and after!

Sarah Parker Shaw
    September 28, 2016 at 1:11 pm

This post is so creative and original! I love how you can really see the difference!

Laura Rowe
    October 12, 2016 at 7:57 am

so great!! can you tell me what products you use in the pics?!

October 15, 2016 at 9:39 am

I just discovered your blog and I love it! These what’s-the-difference posts are SO helpful! I’m trying some of the ideas already. If you take requests, I’d love to see one on corrective techniques — Jen above asks about disguising a bump on her nose. My lips are uneven. I know someone whose natural cheek curve is different from one side to the other. And that’s just coming from me. Surely there are many people who’d like to even out features and make bumps less noticeable. I realize that there is great beauty in our differences, but it would be nice to have the choice of showing off, playing down, or playing up unusual features.