My Life Uncategorized

Makeover Monday – The Creative Process:)

I’m always fascinated about how the creative process works. Whenever my friend Mandi (from Vintage Revivals)  has an amazing idea or creates an incredible DIY my first question is always; How did you think of that!? And I really want to know every step of the process from the little idea seed to the finished product.

Maskcara Beauty has definitely been a processes! Over the last couple of years since it’s birth it’s changed quite a bit. Thanks to all of you, my INCREDIBLE team and an amazing designer by my side to help me. So in case any of you are like me and like to see the process I thought this might be fun.

Here’s the first one out of the gate:

As you can see the highlight and contour weren’t refillable so if you ran out of contour but still had highlight you needed to buy a whole new compact, many of you were so helpful and suggested being able to buy them separately, I knew I wanted to have it fillable for that reason, for the customizability and to save on having to re-buy and re-buy compacts, which seemed so wasteful. I also thought all 4 products needed to fit into the compact because it would make things soo much quicker and easier.

Second time around:

We got it refillable and all 4 products in one! Now I knew, from listening to you guys and trying it on 100 of ladies I knew we needed more colors an updated the texture to be longer lasting and more buildable. The clamshells were needing a makeover and the shipping envelope too.

Since you can keep the compact forever we wanted them to be neutral and almost handbag-like. That way we could get a little more flashy with the tins!

These are some of the rejects and our half-way-there’s we tested along the way…

And the final products…at this point! Right now we are working on more compacts (different sizes – some fun surprises there) and a few other fun things (eyeshadows!)

I really wanted to see if there’s anything you guys would like to see added/updated/more colors? I don’t know how many business owners get the opportunity to learn from so many of their friends experiences like I have. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I have loved and been so grateful that so many of you have done that for me. So many of you have told me your honest opinions and I know even when they weren’t all positive they were definitely coming from a constructive supportive place. I cannot thank you enough!

I owe so much to you<3

May 31, 2016 at 12:20 am

I hope you do mascara someday…it only makes sense with the blog name right?! 😉 And brow stuff please! I’m obsessed with everything you have so far.

May 31, 2016 at 1:32 am

This looks so beautiful! You have come so far.

May 31, 2016 at 4:20 am

Congratulations and thank you!! Would love to see a nose contour powder some day- Powders last longer on my skin

Carissa Stangl
    May 31, 2016 at 5:30 am

I would love a formula of your makeup that will stay on very oily skin. I cannot wear your makeup currently as it slides off my face a few hours into the day. I’ve tried primers and setting powders without luck. I really would love to be able to use your products!

May 31, 2016 at 6:03 am

I was going to say that too! Especially now that it’s getting warmer this makeup doesn’t last very long. I’ve tried primers, powders, and setting sprays too. It would be great to have an oily skin formula.

May 31, 2016 at 10:54 am

I was going to say this too. I would love to use your product regularly, but it slides right off my oily skin, despite all my best efforts with primer, powders and spray. I would love to have formula that worked for oily skin.

H. Lee
      June 1, 2016 at 12:04 am

I’m in the same boat. I love the way the makeup looks right after I put it on but it’s completely gone within about 2 hours. Primers, etc… No luck! I still use your blush but I had to go back to a matte finish foundation formulated for oily skin 🙁

May 31, 2016 at 5:34 am

Hi Cara I recently bought a refill however because the color name wasn’t listed I ended up getting the wrong one. Can you put the name on the refills.?

Sera Lewis
      May 31, 2016 at 5:50 am

Yes this! Me too!

Jennifer S.
        May 31, 2016 at 8:28 am

I agree. Print the name on the back of the tin.

May 31, 2016 at 9:01 pm

The back of mine has the name, it’s the newest tin and has it written kind of small but it’s there!

May 31, 2016 at 6:16 am

Love the new designs! If you don’t have lip crayons in the works already, I would love to try! I usually use some of your baby watermelon blush while I’m doing my makeup (which is the perfect color!), but it doesn’t last. I would love a specially formulated lip color to coordinate!

June 4, 2016 at 11:00 am

Oh my gosh yes please!!!

May 31, 2016 at 6:25 am

It’s been a pleasure to see your company evolve!

The only issue I’ve had thus far (besides a bigger compact!) is how melty the product can get. I love wearing it in the fall and winter, when the air is definitely cooler and drier, but my products melt off of my face and in the palette when it gets warmer (and more humid where I am) out!

Setting powder, primers and sprays unfortunately don’t work when it gets too warm.

May 31, 2016 at 7:44 am

Oh one more thought too! Your blushes are my favorites!! Have you ever thought of doing a corally-red? I have a cream blush from Urban Decay from years ago that they retired and only brought back as a powder which too me isn’t the same. It look so scary and bright orange/red in the pan, but it’s the most gorgeous natural flush on the skin and so perfect for summer!

May 31, 2016 at 7:03 am

Although I love your work and the concept of your products, and have purchased each iteration in hopes they would work on my more ‘mature’ (ahem) skin, the foundation/contour creams always settle into my fine lines and pores and are simply not successful. Despite your makeovers on older women, I don’t think these products work for those of us in our 40s/50s and beyond. I love your blush colors, but they do not last on my dry skin, despite moisturizer/primer. Also, in warm weather, the colors in the palette all ‘sweat’. I am going to try purchasing again as you continue to improve upon your formulations. I prefer products that one can squeeze or pump out so they stay more sanitary, and I so wish I could do that with yours. Best of luck with your new products!

May 31, 2016 at 7:43 am

I love the contour, illuminator and blush shades; they blend well and stay put. My problem is with the highlights 🙁 Every time I wear the highlight shades it gets patchy looking and separates throughout the day. It goes on beautifully and looks great when I leave the house, but within an couple of hours the highlight starts to look terrible! I have tried different shades (I am fair/light complected and have tried white peach, moonlit, aura and even sunlit with white peach seemingly being the best fit). I have used primers (even Becca Ever Matte as suggested) and setting powder (I love the Vanilla dust) and even tried a setting spray with and without the priming powder, but nothing works. I LOVE the way Maskcara makeup looks and feels initially so it’s frustrating to have the highlight not wear well.
    I love that you are going to have eyeshadow available and agree with a previous request for mascara! I would be interested to see more powder formula makeup as well, your new bronzer and setting powder are fantastic!

June 1, 2016 at 8:39 am

I had the same problem with the 1st generation of IIID. Have you tried using less product and finishing with the beauty blender? I find that the less I use, the better it looks.

May 31, 2016 at 8:30 am

Brow products! I KNOW you would get them right.

May 31, 2016 at 8:49 am

I use the highlight, contour and illuminator EVERY SINGLE DAY. I love the compacts (so easy to travel with/store), but I truly wish there was more of a separation between the colors because some of them get migrate when used with the brushes and my contour will bleed into the lighter colors, my blush, etc. This makeup is fantastic and I tell everyone who asks (which is a lot of people!) where I got it and how amazing/easy it is.

I cannot wait for eye shadows!

May 31, 2016 at 10:20 am

Some kind of lids or small cases for the bristle parts of the double ended brushes would make it easier to store

Maryann perry
    May 31, 2016 at 10:43 am

Primer!!! A one stop shop! I just want to get everything from you!!!

May 31, 2016 at 10:53 am

I absolutely love your foundation! I actually still have mine from when you first released them and love it! I am almost excited to run out though so I can try your new stuff. 🙂

Simply Rachel Nicole

Jennifer Paskey
    May 31, 2016 at 11:52 am

I love your makeup so much. It is all I use now and I just love it. As far as constructive criticism, I’m not a fan of the presentation of the bronzer. I bought it and opened it and it got all over- I haven’t opened it since. Maybe a deeper container with a flip lid? Thanks for always looking to improve your products.

May 31, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I would like to see a change to the highlighter – it feels tacky and looks streaky and heavy on my skin, no matter how much I blend (I use a brush and a beauty blender). The other products are so easy to work with so the highlighter not working is a bummer. I wear the contour and blush very often, but usually with a different foundation to fill in for the highlight because the texture just doesn’t seem to work great with my skin.

June 7, 2016 at 9:04 am

I agree. I really dislike the new formulation of the highlight. It is sticky and makes me look like I have a ton of makeup on no matter how much I blend. i wish you would bring back linen.

Amanda R.
    May 31, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I’m a long time follower and finally just placed my first order!! I’m so excited and can’t wait to try everything! 🙂

May 31, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I purchased your very first version of IIID Makeup and then purchased the updated formula after that. I LOVE the colors of the products but I have never been successful in getting them to stay on. They feel greasy on my skin. I used to wear powder foundation and now use liquid foundation but your products are just too slippery on my skin. I do like the blush but I find it doesn’t last the whole day, even with setting powder. One thing I have been really happy with is your brushes! They are fantastic and are in daily use. 🙂 I did have one brush come apart at the ferrule but I think that is probably because I got it too wet when washing it.

May 31, 2016 at 9:00 pm

i absolutely love the products but I feel like the compacts should be bigger, I have a few different colors of each thing and I’d like to keep them all together. Also… I would absolutely try your version of mascara. It seems do fitting because of your brand name and I think people would flip for it. We’ve all been waiting for Maskcaras mascara!

May 31, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I just received a bunch of refill colors and the new pressed powder set. The packaging was stunning! Such a fun treat to unwrap! I love the products so much and can’t imagine going back to a liquid foundation. I would be so excited if you introduced eyeshadows!

My only feedback is that the new tins are a little tricky for me to open. I’m not sure if I’m squeezing when I should be pulling or something? Small problems to have though, right?

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Sarah La Croix Kallberg
    May 31, 2016 at 9:18 pm

So excited for eyeshadow–would be especially great to have color options that work into a palette, like your foundation. Agreed, you’d hit brow product out of the park! Stoked for larger compacts, too!! And I agree, something to prevent bleed-over between colors in the palette. I’d love to see something to hold my Maskcara brushes at home and something good for travel. Oh, and I’d also echo the request for a coral blush. Also loved someone’s idea for a lip product that was the same colors as the blush but formulated for lips. So many great ideas!!

Brittany B
      June 1, 2016 at 9:03 am

I have been with your products every step of the way, and I loved things about each edition.

I echo the comments above a larger compact option and I think you would nail a brow product! I also second the lady above and think a travel version of a HAC brush would be great. I carry your compact with me lots and I hate putting an unprotected and so long of a brush in my purse it doesn’t fit in my make up bag.

May 31, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Hi, Long time follower, first time commentary! Have you considered a skin care range? I always follow your skin care advice and it’s never steered me wrong xo

Roxanne Girlie Cipriano
    June 1, 2016 at 3:18 am

Hi Cara, I just want you to know that entrepreneurial moms like you — a makeup artist slash beauty enthusiast! — are very, very inspiring! You go girl! 🙂

– Roxy |

Kiss & Make-up
    June 1, 2016 at 5:05 am

Everything looks lovely! Such nice designs.

June 1, 2016 at 9:11 am

I know I’ve mentioned this to you before but since you’re asking I’ll mention here too, so you have feedback all together to look back on.

For me, I just really miss the old formula of the (linen) highlight. It was smooth instead of thick and sticky. I’m now using the white peach, but I had to try numerous brushes to be able to apply it since it’s so thick, and I still don’t love it. Please consider going back to that original formula as an option for those of us who loved it. I know you’re always trying to improve and I love you for that, but sometimes nothing compares to the original.

On a second note, (maybe I just got a weird one), but my pink grapefruit blush is a different consistency (and a little different color too), now that I’ve ordered it in the new tin style. Anyone else finding theirs a little different?

June 1, 2016 at 10:12 am

I agree!! I loooved the linen formula compared to the newer thicker highlights. Still enjoying the new products, but pictures of my makeup when I was wearing the linen make me miss it.

September 26, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I agree. the old formulation of the highlighters were my favorite. This new formulation is harder to apply and make it look natural

June 7, 2016 at 9:08 am

Another vote to please please please bring back linen. It went on so easy and looked great. The new formula is difficult to work with. I just don’t need that much heavy coverage all over my face. it just feels and looks thick and sticky more like something for covering a spot than foundation.

June 27, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Oh my yes!!!! I thought it was just me. I agree the newer is stickier and doesn’t smooth out as nicely looking at the last version.

June 1, 2016 at 11:48 am

Cara! Congratulations on all the fun new things happening in your make-up/business/blog world! I think we all love you for all you are – but mostly just because you’re so REAL and at the same time – a DREAM! Thank you for being both =) You are so very *relate-able* and **inspiring**. We follow to wish you the best, watch what you can accomplish, and to hope we can achieve our dreams as well (even if those “right-this-minute dreams” are only to have an almost flawless face!) Thank you for asking for our thoughts and then actually LISTENING and striving to better your fabulous line. <3
    My thought for something better has been mentioned but I will reiterate – Brush covers!
    Thanks! And have a wonderful Summer!

Karen H
    June 1, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I haven’t ordered the new products yet, but I will as soon as I run out of the older ones! I, too, see a difference in White Peach and Linen, I thought it was just me thinking the White Peach was so thick, but I see a few others feel the same. I have just learned to use less product and blend, blend, blend! But I did prefer the texture of Linen more.

The one thing I would love to see in your line is an orange concealer (maybe a few different colors – light, medium and dark). Orange works so much better hiding any imperfections on my face and darkness under my eyes. I’ve tried using just the White Peach, but it doesn’t seem to cover them quite as well as when I use my orange concealer (from another line… gah! I know!) first.

Thank you, Cara, for all the hard work you put into your product line! I know it can’t be easy trying to please so many women! But we all love you for listening to our suggestions and incorporating where appropriate!

June 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I would love more blushes that are on the peachy side of things! You have some great pinks but I still have to use BB pot for a summer peachy look.

Janine Markham
    June 1, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I truly believe as a product junkie and having a background in advertising design, that you have some of the best package design out there. It truly is so pleasing to look at, like a work of art.

You better believe we need some eyebrow products though. I love them as much as you do!

June 1, 2016 at 5:42 pm

love your stuff, love you! Whatever happened with Shark Tank??

June 1, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I love your contour creams and I’m amazed that they don’t break my skin out. What I would like to see new is a compact that holds 6 or 8 tins. I have one compact that has 2 highlight colors and 2 contour colors which leaves my blush and shimmer tins just laying around my makeup bin. I’m going to order another compact next time I order, but it would be so great to have them all in one compact.

Hope Dawson
    June 1, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Brow products! 🙂

June 4, 2016 at 11:16 am

I think it would be awesome to have different formulations for dry skin and oily skin. Also, as I’ve seen in all the other comments, brow products, mascara, primer, and lip products! I love you so much and have been following you for so long!

June 4, 2016 at 11:18 am

Also maybe concealer for redness and dark circles! I just want to use everything from you! Haha!

June 4, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I love your products! I recently bought one of your eye brushes, and I love the length and the firm but soft bristles. I plan on getting more!
    I use your makeup everyday. I put your makeup on at 5:30am and go to the gym and workout. I never have to reapply all day ( just have to do eyeshowdow again). I love putting the highlighter under my brow line. It makes my brows look more defined, it brightens and also makes my eyes look bigger. My husband always says I look younger when I have your make up on. I feel wonderful and every day I look forward to putting my face on. I think others notice that there is something different with my makeup compared to others. Its like a light, natural, beautiful look that just can not be described. I always get compliments, thanks from your brilliant products.

June 5, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Hi Cara! I would love to see a color correcting product by Maskcara. I’ve tried many and I’ve never liked the texture.

June 6, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I use your make-up every day. I love it. I would also love to see some brow makeup. And brush. I know you would do an awesome job with it.

June 6, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Travel sized brushes. They don’t fit in any of my makeup bags 🙂

June 7, 2016 at 9:10 am

For the compact I would love an option without a mirror. It makes it heavy and if I am doing a touchup on the run I usually have access to a mirror (bathroom, car). it would lighten the load in my purse. Also an option for a larger compact. Thanks for being such a responsive company,

June 8, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Some lip liners would be great!

June 24, 2016 at 1:05 am

Wow, what a fun post! I love seeing the evolution of your incredible make up line. My request is definitely a bigger pallet so I can fit more colors. I currently have three pallets and it would be nice to consolidate. I sympathize with other commenters who have mentioned how the cream foundations can accentuate oily skin probs, so an ingredient that can “matte-ify” T-zone shine would be awesome. Even so, I absolutely love your make up and use it exclusively for my foundation/blush & HACing. Keep up the great work! Cheers to your success.

Isabell C
    June 24, 2016 at 10:13 am

love the new designs, love your site!

August 21, 2016 at 4:36 pm

This was a really insightful article. Love how you got around to the concept of refillables.

August 23, 2016 at 8:09 am

These are so pretty!

September 18, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I really miss the Linen color you had in the beginning. White Peach is ok but Linen had the perfect undertone and consistency. White Peach seems tackier in consistency. I am not really sure how do describe the difference in undertone but Linen was a better match for my skin. Also, maybe a storage holder for the double ended brushes. I end up putting mine on the counter and then they get smashed in on the side that touches the counter.

Abigail Silvester
    September 30, 2016 at 9:40 am

Wow! I really love your packaging, this is first time I have seen it and it is beautiful, clean and simple.
    Just Abigail