Makeup What's the Difference?

What’s the difference wednesday

Take a look at today’s photo to see if you can spot the difference before you scroll below it:)

(sometimes it helps to cover one side with your hand so you can see them independently:)

Can you tell what’s different? Which side do you like better?

Ok so on the left side my contouring is right below my cheekbone & my blush is right in the apples of my cheeks, the right side the contour is a bit lower and continues on down to my jar and the blush is along the contour line up to my temples.

I prefer the left side. The way it lifts and enhances your cheeks is very youthful and I love putting blush were it would naturally be, right in those apples. There’s nothing necessarily wrong the the right side, expect that on some it can be aging and drag your face downward. I’ve gone too low in the past on my clients and it always bugged me when I noticed it in the photos later!

I heard somewhere recently that you should treat your contour like a pushup brow for you cheek, that totally nails it:) If you draw an imaginary line from the outer corner of your lips up to the tragus of your ear remember that you want your contour on and not below that line. The apples of your cheeks are easy to find also, when you smile it’s the part of your cheek that sticks out:)

So, do you agree?! Would love to hear your opinions!

Carol Higdon
    May 25, 2016 at 5:00 am

I agree with you. The right side looks fine but the left side looks much better.

May 25, 2016 at 6:51 am

I also agree and I love the tip. I was kind of doing that already but it’s nice to have a reference of where to put that line.

May 25, 2016 at 7:15 am

I honestly really love both on you! They give you two completely different looks, but I would agree on your reasoning on both as to what the placement does for sure! I try to always focus on the apples of the cheeks on my clients but I do drag the color back toward the hairline to give more definition to the face.

Question, what template do you use for your blog design? I really love how clean it is and I am looking for a similar template when I start my blog as well! Any advice is much appreciated <3

May 25, 2016 at 7:31 am

I love the left as well, I feel like it is like an instant face lift! I seriously can never tell the difference until you tell us! Haha. Love this series. XO -Kim

May 25, 2016 at 7:59 am

So funnily enough I actually prefer the right. However, I have a very square (wide) face and the contouring on the right would elongate my face (a look my squareness needs), where the one on the left would emphasize its width. You’re stunning in both though

May 25, 2016 at 8:00 am

I agree! I love this series!! I also prefer the left look. I think it gives a more youthful, fresh appearance. 😉

May 25, 2016 at 8:26 am

I like the left side better, too, Cara. It looks more natural and less severe. Because contouring is so on trend, with every makeup company having contour kits, the majority of women aren’t learning how to do it so that it looks right on them. They either overdo it with dark brown streaks or choose the wrong color contour for their skin coloring. I think you are doing a great service for women who want to learn how to apply makeup for a natural look that brings out their best features without over-doing it!

May 25, 2016 at 10:32 am

My goodness, that is a beautiful picture of you, Cara.

ps What concealer stick did you use on Tiffani?

Heidi Loch
    May 25, 2016 at 11:11 am

For those of us with without a defined cheekbone and full cheeks, does your advice stay the same? The right looks like it might create more structure on my otherwise structure-less face.

May 25, 2016 at 11:14 am

I agree! I love the blush on the apple of your cheek. You look so stunning! 🙂

Simply Rachel Nicole

Emily W
    May 25, 2016 at 12:22 pm

This is sooooo helpful, just the kind of tip I need! Little things that make HAC work better!

May 25, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I love this series! It really makes me think about makeup things that I wouldn’t have normally given a second thought to. I like the left side better as well. It feels more natural and girly.

May 25, 2016 at 4:45 pm

It looks really good. I was wondering what your skincare regimen is. Joliemd has been out of stock & I was wondering if you still use it or have you found something else. Your skin always looks amazing.

May 25, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Love this! I was definitely doing my HAC too low initially, this is super helpful!

May 25, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Love the left for the visual lift. Appreciate the tip on contour placement.

May 25, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Holy typos!

May 26, 2016 at 3:56 am

Loving your What’s the Difference Wednesday posts, such a great idea! Saying hi from South Africa.

Kiss & Make-up (@Kissmakeupblog)
    May 26, 2016 at 5:01 am

Yep, I also prefer left!

May 26, 2016 at 6:42 am

I prefer the left side as well, it defines the face better without making it look too sharp!

May 26, 2016 at 1:02 pm

The right side definitely looks more mature, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing for you 🙂 . Totally agree with the “push-up” function.

– Isabel

Roxy | The Happy Momster
    May 27, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I love the left side! Very good demonstration that blush, contour, and highlight have to be placed strategically. The one on the left lifts the apple of the cheeks and the cheekbone and makes for a more youthful overall appearance. 🙂

Miki Nyckel
    May 29, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I totally agree! i used to do contour and blush lower, until I tried it higher and it looks so much better!

May 29, 2016 at 9:56 pm

They both look amazing but I see the difference and I agree, left!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Boni Bird
    May 30, 2016 at 3:48 am

Definitely the left, although the right looks good also! 🙂

Jacqueline R
    July 15, 2016 at 11:04 am

I totally agree. The left looks the best. I always end up looking like the right 🙁 lol I have an aversion to the apples of my cheeks I guess. I will try your “tragus tip” and see if I can’t do a better job of it! Thx 🙂