What's the Difference?

What’s The Difference Wednesday

For today you’ll notice that neither side of my face looks right. So try to ignore that small fact:)

One thing that I’ve wondered when I see these intense color correcting photos and videos around is ‘OK I see that after all of those colors are layered on you are able to take foundation over the top and make it look good. My question is, are those colors actually helping you do that or making it harder?’

Don’t get me wrong, color correcting can be very useful but its also easy to over correct. Which means you then have to correct that and pretty soon you’ve spent 15 minutes and you’ve got 5 layers of makeup on your face.

I don’t have a ton of redness in my cheeks so I used my lips to demonstrate. On the left side I used green concealer and then covered it with a foundation. On the right side I used a yellow concealer (sunlit) alone.

The best color correcting is the one and done kind.
If you can neutralize the color with something that is a tinted skin tone rather than a full on color, it will look better and be easier.

Before jumping for a color correcting palette try something tinted first:

For redness: Yellow based concealer
For dark under eyes & dark spots: peachy or yellow concealer
To lift and brighten: pink based concealer

Also keep in mind that your skin tone matters.
The color you start out with is pretty crucial when considering whether a color correcting tool will work for you. For instance if you have a dark skin tone and very dark under-eyes using an orange concealer might be the perfect way to brighten that area and make it coverable.  Although, if you are very fair to begin with, orange will likely take you further from your goal.  Or, if you have a dark complexion and want to cover a blemish, using a pale green will more than likely only create an ashy spot you’ll have to cover completely as well. That is why choosing a tinted concealer in your color range will probably be better for most people than a color correcting palette.

So what do you think? Are you a big fan of color correcting? Have you seen that scene from Edward Scissorhands ?

May 11, 2016 at 9:50 am

So grateful for your IIID foundation. I’ve tried color correcting with products from other brands (greens, peaches, yellows), and I always look so washed out and sad. Your products cover all of my redness, dark circles, sallowness, etc and I also look lit from within. Thank you!!

meme kennedy
      May 11, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t tell you how many makeup counter people came at my Irish red cheeks with green cakey grime as a teenager convincing me I need to use it to look natural and tone down my ruddy cheeks.

Ashy ghoul. Every. Time.

IIID is really great, so little needed, huge difference, and actually natural looking – really! 90 seconds every day, never “go out” – without.

May 11, 2016 at 10:19 am

Finally, someone who doesn’t just jump on the color correcting bandwagon because it’s cool. I’ve tried a peach color correcting concealer under my regular yellow based concealer and it didn’t look as good. My skin looked dull and more… make-upy. I’m sure it works for some, but not me. Also, I like the non-color corrected side of your lips better too.

May 11, 2016 at 11:45 am

Me too!

May 11, 2016 at 10:26 am

Oh my goodness, my husband and I JUST rewatched Edward Scissorhands last night! Poor Peg and her Avon!

May 11, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Such a big difference Cara!! All the heart eyes coming atcha. <3

Any thoughts on what to use for under eye circles that don't play well with orange? I'm fairly medium with yellow undertones. So far I've tried sunlit, white peach and linen. The linen and white peach seem to settle in weird and highlight my circles? The sunlit is too yellow. But they all blend well and look lovely everywhere else on my face. Help?

May 12, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Ha I always think of Edward Scissorhands when I see women wearing waaay too much makeup!!! 😀

Kiss & Make-up
    May 13, 2016 at 6:14 am

Yeah, plastering on 50 layers of make-up is never a good idea, lol.

May 13, 2016 at 7:37 am

I love the sunlit shade from your line and it erases my dark undereye circles but it doesn’t stay on my skin for very long. Layering a few products seems to give me longer lasting coverage

May 16, 2016 at 10:28 am

LOVE Edward! haha =D And your great tips! Thanks Cara!

May 18, 2016 at 7:25 am

This is makeup know-how gold! Thank you for these posts, Cara!!