My Life

Hawaii Baby

We had such a wonderful time on our vacation this year! Last year was a blast but we were right in the middle of a few delays on our newly released product (something we had no way of knowing when we made the reservations!) so I still spent a lot of the time at the computer working through emails and begging delivery services to rush. This time around I was more “unhooked” than I think I’ve ever been for that long! It was so fun and refreshing and good to just enjoy family and friends but by the end I was starting to really miss it! It’s such a huge blessing to be able to love your work as much as you love your play:)

I’ve had a bunch of people ask for recommendations for the Island. I’ve only been twice now but I’ve been given some amazing recommendations so I’m thrilled to pass them along to any of you who have a Hawaiian trip in your future!

We stayed on the North Shore at Turtle Bay so most of the recs are in that area.

First of all we found this amazingly fun and picturesque swing right next to the water. The kids loved it and the photos are some of my favorites ever! (It was right off the main road about 5 miles north of the PCC)

8G2A0565 copy

Shave Ice. It was controversial in our group which shave ice was the best. I voted The Aloha General Store & Nick was all about Matsumoto’s, both are pretty incredible!

We visited the LDS Temple and walked around the visitors center, it is so pretty. Isn’t my mom lovely?

8G2A0275 copy

Sunset pillbox hike. This hike made for such a beautiful view and was a really good choice for kids (we left Billy back with grandparents because he refuses to stay in the baby backpack but if your kid will for sure bring them!)

This t-shirt is one of my absolute favorites BTW. I have it in like 4 colors. It is a flattering cut, such soft fabric and (best of all!) it actually washes well! I’ve washed them a bunch of times and they haven’t faded, thinned or misshapen which is more than I can say for most of my tees. Get one here (AE) For 20 bucks.

Lanikai Beach in Kailua. The waves were pretty hardcore on the North end of the island so we went to this beach and it was perfect and so pretty.

Surfing. Here again the waves were to crazy for beginners so we went to Waikiki to surf. It was SO packed but the waves were great (so long as you didn’t run someone over!)

I had this overwhelming urge to scoot around on this baby and couldn’t convince anyone to join me until the last day!
We got them from Hele Huli, they were awesome.

It was so much fun and I obviously looked SO cool doing it:) friend Jill who I totally talked into coming ended up taking a slide in the gravel with hers and got pretty beat up. I felt so awful! She’s OK but got some scrapes and bruises. I will say to ride around a bit and get comfortable with the turns and the breaks before taking on the faster roads. We definitely should have done that.

Her Ray Bans didn’t survive, we found them just like this after the crash.

Places to eat:

Kua’aina Burger – If you love fresh avocados their avocado burger CANNOT be beat and their shoestring fries are AMAZING.

Ted’s Bakery – Holy HANNAH! Best donuts of my life!

Lei Lei’s – If you wanna have a night out this place is delicious. It’s a little pricey so we just snuck away there for a date one of the nights and left the kids with the grandparents:) The pork loin is FANTASTIC.

Giovanni’s Shrimp Trucks – Full disclosure I wasn’t a huge fan, the food was good but I couldn’t handle the fishy smell. Everyone else really liked it though, so I thought I’d add it for shrimp lovers.

Waialua Bakery and Juice bar – Really good Acai bowls here and I really liked the set-up.

I’d love if any of you who have them would add their recommendations below! Since I’m just a rookie:)

Mary Kate
    March 2, 2016 at 5:41 am

Sounds like this was an incredible trip Cara, your family is beautiful! Thank you for letting us peak into your life!

Mary Kate

March 2, 2016 at 5:47 am

so sweet!

Sara Kate
    March 2, 2016 at 6:56 am

Oh my goodness! I love these, my heart is melting!!! That pic of you on the swing with the babe is adorable!!!

Sara Kate Styling

March 2, 2016 at 7:48 am

Thanks so much! Heading to Hawaii Monday, and already have a few of these places on our list!

Kristen Tu'ifua
    March 2, 2016 at 8:13 am

Aloha, Cara! You were here! Your family is beautiful. 🙂 All those places are great and some of our favorites as well. Do you mean Kua’aina Burger? You are right! Best shoestring fries on the planet!

March 2, 2016 at 10:23 am

Neither link to the t-shit works! 🙁

March 2, 2016 at 2:07 pm

What an incredible trip! I’m so glad that you were able to unplug and relax!!! I am definitely keeping those food places in mind for future reference. Oh and the Hawaii temple looks incredible, I would absolutely love to go!

Simply Rachel Nicole

March 2, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Oh and I just wanted you to know that I tried to click on your t-shirt link and it took my to a photography website? Not sure why, but I’d love to know where you got your shirt from. 🙂

March 2, 2016 at 5:09 pm

We went to Turtle Bay on our honeymoon last year and it was spectacular. We really liked Hailewa (sp?) and the restaurant called Haleiwa Joe’s right as you come into town was awesome. One of the chefs was playing guitar and singing at Turtle Bay on one of our first nights and that’s how we found out about it. One of the best means we had on Oahu!

Looks like you had as much fun as we did!! 🙂

March 2, 2016 at 6:31 pm

The swing pictures are perfect! ❤️

Ashley Hlavaty
    March 3, 2016 at 12:08 am

Your post made me so homesick for the islands. I lived there for three years while my husband was stationed at Pearl Harbor. We lived in Kailua and think Lanikai Beach is heaven!!! Kayaking out to the Mokes from there is so much fun. We also loved renting a sailboat and sailing out to the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay. That’s amazing!!! If you were there last week I’m sure waves on the North Shore were crazy! Did you get to see the 25 footers going off at Waiamea Bay? They hosted the Eddie Aikau surf tournament there and I live streamed it here in Texas. I hope you got to see that! The LDS temple at Laie is beautiful!! My Auntie Lani lives just minutes down the road in Kahuku and does lots of temple work. The grounds there are stunning. If you ever go back to the islands I have a million recommendations!!!

March 3, 2016 at 12:38 pm

When I saw the title of this post, I thought you were going to tell us that you got pregnant while in Hawaii. 🙂

chelsea jacobs
    March 4, 2016 at 6:01 am

That first picture is priceless!

March 6, 2016 at 10:32 am

Boots and kimos for macadamia nut pancakes!

March 6, 2016 at 1:18 pm

What size shirt are you wearing?

kristina malinowski
    March 8, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Omg love the white dress! Where did you get it?? Please share ♡

Johanna Killpack
    March 9, 2016 at 9:38 am

Chocolate Haupia Pie is the at Ted’s Bakery. Used to go there all the time while at BYU-H and split a whole pie with my roomie! Those were the days…

March 10, 2016 at 10:51 am

CARA!!! Where did you get that cream dress in the first pictures?! ITS PERFECT XD

March 10, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I love your aviators and this looks like an amazing trip!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

March 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Such beautiful pictures of you and your family! Angel’s Ice Cream in the Laie shopping center has awesome halo shave ice (shaved ice with ice cream, condensed milk, and whipped cream) YUM!!! Aloha Stadium Swap meet is a great cheap place for souvenirs. Koa House has delicious banana pancakes, Liliha bakery awesome coco puffs, there are so many great places to eat. When we visit I feel like all we do is eat all the time :)! Love Oahu, miss my family, friends, and the food :’)

March 17, 2016 at 9:10 am

I just bought 5 of those t-shirts after seeing yours in these photos! Ha. They are indeed fantastic!

Jess O'Day
    March 23, 2016 at 7:15 am

My husband and I went to Hawaii for the first time – Wailua Bakery is awesome!!!