Beauty Basics Hair Hair Products

Dry Shampoo: You *might* be missing out on some of it’s benefits!

The process of washing and styling your hair can be an arduous one.
So I was obviously thrilled when I became familiar with the bottle of oil cutting bliss that is Dry Shampoo.
But it wasn’t until my recent conversion to Living Proof and my discovery on how to actually use it that I found out that bottle can be more than glorified hair rice paper. It can be an actual time machine that transports you back to your last shower cap free shower in smell, feel and look. I swear.

Here’s some proof, although the grease and stank in the before cannot be accurately demonstrated through photographic evidence so you’ll have to trust me on this one. (which might be easier for some of you if you know right up front that this post is not sponsored)

Here’s the Good Stuff & here’s my video schpiel on it…

Sorry if I’m a bit long winded here…I’m just so passionate about dry cleaners! (speaking of “passionate” have you seen this video? Because it is HILARIOUS and you should watch it. And you’re welcome.)

Kris and Jack Blog
    February 3, 2016 at 4:55 am

Thanks for this!!! I definitely wasn’t doing the full process and it was leaving white flakey stuff. Will have to try it again!!

Nicole Walker
    February 3, 2016 at 4:59 am

Thanks for this great tutorial, I feel like I have been using dry shampoo all wrong! And I didn’t know most dry shampoos only tackle oil, not sweat as well. Definitely trying this product 🙂

xoxo Nicole

Jamie Rowe
    February 3, 2016 at 5:15 am

I received this product in my Birchbox and was underwhelmed. I really just sprayed it on, rubbed my scalp, but skipped the brushing part. I may give it another try. Thanks!

February 3, 2016 at 5:23 am

So helpful, thanks! I’ve been doing it the super-lazy way, haha! Here’s my question: your hair is straight in the video, but you usually curl it, so what you do then? If I brush my hair out when it’s curled it looks crazy! Do you touch up the curls with product and maybe re-curl some pieces? I love the idea of only heat-styling my hair once every few days, but I can’t go without brushing my hair every day, Marcia Brady style. 😉 We have similar hair so I’d love your input.

P.S. Love you and your blog!

February 3, 2016 at 6:08 am

hi which boar bristle brush do you use?

Laura C
    February 3, 2016 at 7:13 am

Does dry shampoo work for short hair? Every demo I see is with long hair and that makes more sense to me.

Jamie Rowe
      February 5, 2016 at 4:45 am

I have a pixie cut and dry shampoo is my best friend! haha

Holly McLoughlin
    February 3, 2016 at 7:32 am

Loved the video it was super helpful and you looked lovely, I love your makeup x

Maggie K
    February 3, 2016 at 7:42 am

I love the living proof dry shampoo. I actually use it on my 7 year old sometimes. She doesn’t like regular hair washing so she gets super happy when I bust out the dry shampoo!! Great video! Thank You!

February 3, 2016 at 7:55 am

Hey Cara- Thanks for the video! What about girls with curly hair? If I brush out my hair when it’s dry, I’ll be left with a frizzy Brillo pad situation.

Theresa Allen
    February 3, 2016 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the tips, I do usually brush mine out after dry shampoo, but I don’t think I’m using enough of the product! I may have to splurge on that living proof, you’re really making me want to try it! I’d also love to know what boar bristle brush you use and where to get it. Thanks Cara!

February 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

I have really gotten into dry shampoos, when I was not for a very long time! Definitely aids my hair when I don’t wash it for a few days.

February 3, 2016 at 10:15 am

I did not like it, especially for the price! It smells amazing, but I wasn’t impressed otherwise. My hair is the same color as hers and I have always applied it just like she does. I always go back to Batiste for Dark Brown, it’s really cheap and works great for dark hair! Another I’ve tried and would consider a 2nd pick is the Dove. I talked to an Asian American sales girl with black hair at Ulta and she told me she only uses the Dove.

February 8, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Yes I have dark hair as well and never have a problem with Dove!

February 3, 2016 at 10:57 am

I have been using Living Proof Dry Shampoo for a couple months now and absolutely love the results. I’ve tried other brands, but they feel awful! This one makes my “second day” hair feel light again. By the way, I am OBSESSED with the Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner that you featured awhile back. Life changing for me and my hair has never looked better. Thank!

February 3, 2016 at 12:34 pm

This is great. I tried the Living Proof shampoo and conditioner after you posted about them and they have TRANSFORMED my hair! I received the dry shampoo in my Birchbox and didn’t see why people loved it so much. Now I’m excited to go back and try again. I’m really seeing results limiting the amount of washing to 2-3x per week and this would help that!

February 3, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Hi Cara! Does Living Proof’s Dry Shampoo spray on clear? Or is it white? I cannot tell from your video and thought that it was a white powder. I have very dark hair and have been searching for something that sprays clear and is less visible.

February 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

It sprays on in a light powder

February 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Thank you!

February 3, 2016 at 12:43 pm

One more question – what does it smell like, can you describe it? I am very sensitive to smell so that’s why I ask.Thanks!

February 3, 2016 at 2:30 pm

it’s a really soft clean smell. I would say a little more masculine than I expected but I love it! (sorry I’m not that good at describing scents!)

February 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm

This is great, thank you! Haha – you described it just fine. 🙂

February 3, 2016 at 12:44 pm

would love to know what boar bristle brush this is. I’m looking for one for just this purpose.

February 3, 2016 at 2:28 pm

shoot I honestly don’t remember where I got it and it isn’t labeled! But I also love my Sonia Sashuk from Target, super similar!

February 3, 2016 at 1:43 pm

thank you!!! I definitely wasn’t using it correctly!!!!

Simply Rachel Nicole

Rebecca Regnerus
    February 3, 2016 at 2:56 pm

The BRUSHING!!!!!!!! I bought living proof dry shampoo a few weeks ago (Amika has been my go to for forever) and I was a little bit disgusted at the hype and “oh it’s science!” I was like, guys this stuff does NOT work. But I literally just went and tried it again and wow. You. Have. To. Brush. It. Out. !!! Big difference. My hair feels like it’s loaded with texture (which I like) has a ton of volume, and is free of stringy greasy hairs. Thank you, Cara, for enlightening me ;).

February 3, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Thank you! I love this video! I bought this dry shampoo after Kate (from the smallthings blog) suggested it, but it wasn’t working for me. It made my hair feel even dirtier. But I can’t wait to try it out like your tutorial to see if it works better for me! Pretty sure I didn’t brush it out nearly enough the first time.

February 3, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I have the same question as Mandy, so brushing out curls – do that, add the Living Proof as you did, then re-curl? I have thick, dark hair like yours so Im not afraid to add heat a couple days later….and here’s another quick one – what about the product that is already in there? Will it clean all that out and make it soft with the curls?… I should probably just try it and stop asking! Thank you da’ling, in my later 40’s and love your blog!!

February 6, 2016 at 5:10 am

Did you get an answer? I also have curly hair and am concerned about the brushing part. Love the idea of this product getting the sweat Out!!

Mary Kate
    February 4, 2016 at 8:22 am

I love this!! I use dry shampoo a couple times a week and I was definitely doing it wrong!

Mary Kate

February 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

This is the million dollar tutorial! #1 i was afraid to do a lot of touching or brushing thinking it would turn oily again and #2 i always end up with static frizz at the bottom. can’t wait to try this technique! Thank you!!

February 4, 2016 at 11:10 am

Now I know why I wasn’t lov’in my dry shampoo, I wasn’t using it right! Thanks.

February 4, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I love, love, love Living Proof’s Dry Shampoo as well! Thanks to Kate from The Small Things, I having been using it for about a month now and will never go back to anything else. I have tried other professional and drug store brands and nothing works or smells as great as Living Proof. I guess you could say they “nailed it” when it comes to dry shampoo.
    Great Post, Thank you!

February 4, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Some of *its benefits, not “it’s”

February 5, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Sorry for the unrelated question, but what IIID foundation colors are you wearing? Beautiful!

February 5, 2016 at 3:26 pm

thank you so much for this, definitely will help as my hair is capable of getting yucky pretty quickly so I rely on dry shampoo and I clearly need to try this! Thanks again!

February 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm

What if you have curly hair? I have dark curly hair, and I avoid washing it often (I am one of the people who tried and tried to make WEN work, but experienced more hair loss than I care to admit) so I love using dry shampoo to extend my hair washing timeline.
    Trouble is, I have to find one for dark hair so it blends in, because it never completely comes out, and I try to sort of flip my head over and shake from the scalp, down about 3 inches before I start running into MAJOR frizziness. Brushing my hair and hoping to keep from looking like something out of the Lion King is the goal.
    Do you have any suggestions for naturally curly girls? Or did Living Proof give any tips for this type of hairstyle?

Link Lov'in - a woman of a certain age
    February 5, 2016 at 8:13 pm

[…] Doing Dry Shampoo Right: (Link) […]

February 5, 2016 at 10:18 pm

It’s in your title should be its. (It’s=it is)

Laura Ali di Polvere
    February 6, 2016 at 11:26 am

Thanks for this tutorial, it is very interesting. Love so much your makeup!

February 7, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Hi Cara
    Love your blog! I’ve been using Pssssst for years. Inexpensive and works well. Trick is to use a good portion as you show in your video.
    Keep up the great work!

February 7, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Love it, thanks Cara!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

February 9, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Some say to use dry shampoos before you need to use it I.e. Don’t wait till it’s greasy- use it when your hair is still clean. What do you think?

February 11, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Nothing much has been happening around here lately.

February 12, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Whatever happened with Shark Tank? I’m thinking maybe I missed the update on that!?

February 13, 2016 at 5:17 pm

I keep hearing about this. I need to try it!!

February 15, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Where do you get your gold rings from? I love the one on your middle finger in this video

February 27, 2016 at 12:46 am

I REALLY want to try this! Thank you for taking the time to make a video, Cara! 🙂

February 29, 2016 at 8:49 am

My stylist uses the bluish label Batiste dry shampoo as a styling tool on my wet hair to give it body! Seems to work. I love LP products, too. So $$ tho.

Wednesday Wish List 3-16-2016 | Mollie's Musings
    March 15, 2016 at 7:06 pm

[…]  It really allows me to push the number of days I go between washing my hair.  I watched a video about dry shampoo that helped as well.  I wash just spraying it in my hair.  Now I work it through and can tell a […]

April 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I love your color, I want to achieve the same look. What do you tell your hairdresser to get that gorgeous brownish red rich tone?