Hair Hair Products

Am I switching to Living Proof? The verdict is in!

As many of you well know I have been a long time lover of cleansing conditioner, namely Wen.

And while I have tried many, many other products intermittently along the way I never felt very much compelled to switch.

I especially felt like I needed Wen after I totally fried my hair an inch from life and had to nurse it back to health. I refused to use lather, colored it sparingly and used hot tools only when absolutely necessary. And eventually the really bad stuff was trimmed away and the rest that I have now is really quite strong and healthy.

About that time is when I started realizing that there were some things that were irking me about it:

1.Hair loss.

The emails and concerns I’ve received about the hair loss factor. While I’ve never

experienced this I am very concerned about any reader who have or could. Losing

hair is no small thing. I don’t know what would cause that but it does make me more tentative about it.

2. Time

My showers are usually a 2 minute allotment of time where Billy is distracted by Baby First

and where I am often turning off the faucet in order to make sure that “mom!” I’m hearing

is only in my head, it usually isn’t:) In other words I don’t always have time to do all of the

pumping, scrubbing and rinsing that’s required with a cleansing conditioner.

3. Grease

I have noticed (now that my hair is healthy again) that it does get greasy pretty quick. Especially when I wasn’t terribly thorough in my rigorous washing & rince (see previous reason:) which means less time out of my hairstyle and more time washing my hair. Not terribly excited about either of those things!

So I decided to look into some other options and then give them a REAL try before I made up my mind one way or another. Living Proof came HIGHLY recommended from a few of my hairstylist friends and from Kate (from The Small Things). I decided to take Living Proof up on their offer to have me try it for a few months and share my experience.

The first few times I used it (I tried the No Frizz line as that was what Chris McMillan recommended for me) I was shocked by how long my hair stayed clean!

One of their objectives is to “Stop the damage cycle” meaning they make sure the product doesn’t build up on your hair or attract dirt and oils so you don’t have to wash it nearly as often.

Well, they have certainly succeeded in that!

My hairstyles have lasted longer and I could go FOREVER without shampooing again. Call me gross but I went 7 days and I wasn’t even trying to! When I added it up I was shocked myself because my hair still didn’t seem greasy! Mind you I was also using their amazing dry shampoo but I couldn’t have gone half that time before even with dry shampoos. I also tried a few other really nice shampoos and conditioners to make sure I wasn’t just seeing a difference that was mostly the fact that I’d switched from cleansing conditioner to traditional and the results were not the same. I had to wash my hair at about the same rate as I had with Wen… Maybe a little longer, but not nearly as long as with the No Frizz.

Secondly, I was also shocked by how soft my hair felt with Living Proof! I couldn’t believe how silky it was. I honestly had to call my sister from California and be like “Duuuuuuude you need to feel my hair right now!”

So when I say I could go longer between shampoos it wasn’t because my hair was just dry as a bone:) It still had moisture just not so much at the roots.

I still wasn’t SOLD though because I wanted to try it for at least a couple of months before I made my decision – which is why I haven’t said much yet! I didn’t want to jump the gun!

Guys, I’m sticking with Living Proof.

I still love Wen. It was everything I needed while I needed it and if you’re still loving yours I totally support you in that.

I’ll just lay it out for you:

Living Proof No-Frizz Pros:
Silky & shiny Hair
LOOOONG time between washes
Simple shower routine.
Healthy hair

Living Proof No-Frizz Cons:
I did notice that my hair color lasted slightly longer with cleansing conditioner. At first when I saw that I was like “welp, I guess I’ve got to switch back!” so I did…but it only lasted like one wash. After seeing how soon I needed to re-wash I decided it wasn’t a good enough reason to weigh out the pros.
It’s a little on the pricey side but since you have to use it less than half as often, I think it will even out. I’ve always felt that since I wear my hair every single day it’s well worth it to invest in good products (you don’t need many!) and good cuts (that are designed to grow out well so you don’t need them often!)

Love you guys!

December 22, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I totally agree with you! I am a hair stylist and recently made the switch to Living Proof! I only wish they made gel….but I love the line, it really works! Glad to hear that you found something healthier and more effective for your hair!!!! Love your site and everything you do by the way!!! xoxo

December 22, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Thank you so much!!! Hopefully they’ll get some gel in there in the near future!

Kelly Schade-Bebenek
    December 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I purchased their Perfect Hair Day (phd) Kit after your last blog when you visited the location. I used it for 2 weeks and I wasn’t happy with it as I found my hair greasey and it never felt clean. I was washing more often using Phd. The conditioner said it improves hair with use so I continued to use it. I did notice that my hair had better texture when I curled it but when it was straight it looked flat and greasey (I had to also wash my hair twice to get it to feel clean). I trust your opinion and will take your recommendation and try the No Frizz Shampoo to see if I get a different outcome. I will update after.

December 22, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Shoot! I’ve never tried the PH.D. Shampoo and conditioner but I definitely don’t think you’ll have that problem with the No Frizz!

December 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

If your hair leans towards the greasy side or you live that squeaky clean feeling, try the volume shampoo. I use the volume shampoo and the frizz conditioner and the combo is perfect. Add in the dry shampoo and you’re set for a week. PHD is one of the heavier lines with Restore being the heaviest (great for blondes in need of moisture). One of my favorite things about Living Proof is mixing and matching. If you only get one styling product, Prime will hold your style for days. Primer for your hair!

December 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Thank you for the review. Maybe I never gave it a long enough trial, but I never really got into Wen. Despite the commercials, it seemed like my hair needed lots more conditioning than just the cleansing conditioner. And, heeding your and others’ recommendations to “really scrub it in there,” I now have very noticeable breakage on top of my head which I suspect came from said scrubbing. It is virtually impossible to camouflage the hairs standing straight up. I can’t say I’ve had hair loss from it, since I shed like a golden retriever anyway. I hate to spend the $$ Living Proof would require, but I may have to give it a shot.

December 22, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I’m really really sorry to hear that about breakage! I’m also sorry if my recommendations had any part of that! I do understand how you feel about the cost! if you live near a Sephora they do free samples so it might be a good way to try it first!

December 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I love living proof! I switched a few years ago from Pureology – and haven’t looked back. Using a coupon on the Christmas gift packs makes it much more affordable!

December 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Hi Cara thanks for the review. Can I ask if you were using a separate shampoo and conditioner from the No Frizz range or was it a cleansing conditioner as I’m not seeing one on the website? Happy Xmas from Scotland ❤️

December 22, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Thank you! It was good old traditional shampoo and conditioner:)

Susan Iseman
    December 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

My husband & I have been using Living Proof Perfect Hair Day for over a year now, and we both like it. I have tried a few other products via samples and I would just say that if you don’t use the correct amount, you get poor results, so you really need to experiment with what works for you.

December 22, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for the post! How many of the No Frizz products do you use?

December 22, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Thank you! Right now I’m just using the No frizz shampoo and conditioner and the perfect hair day dry shampoo:)

Amy Hocking
    December 22, 2015 at 2:39 pm

The last gallon of Wen I purchased over a year and a half ago, I noticed the excessive falling of my hair. I had always noticed some hair coming out while washing it, but this time it was crazy. I could feel the clumps running down my back as I rinsed. I’d turn around in the shower and see them slide down the drain. Then my 14 year old daughter started mentioning her hair was all over her tub. Now, I don’t know what had changed between the other gallons I had purchased, but this time was different. I wonder if Gunthy Richer (sp?) changed something. Swapped something out for another. Used a less quality source for an ingredient. Well, I returned my half used gallon to QVC last January. I even posted my hair loss to a website for the class action suit back in January of 2014. To this day I haven’t found a shampoo that I love. My hair, and my daughter’s, has stopped falling out excessively. I truly miss Wen, and am excited to try something new like Living Proof.

December 22, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Wow that is awful!!!! I’m so so sorry! I definitely think you might love this one!

Colleen Vierling
      December 23, 2015 at 11:03 am

I never even considered that the breakage on top was due to all the lathering recommended by Wen! Going to have to figure out a way to finish the rest of my bottle without scrubbing and therefore more breakage; then I’m getting Living Proof. And so sorry about your hair loss :(.

Laura C
    December 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I never liked Wen. I recently switched to a Suave Sea Mineral Infusion shampoo and love it. I have highlights and they look great since I switched. I will have to see about getting the Living Proof shampoo with Sephora points!

December 22, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Oh! I’ll have try try that! Do you use tha conditioner with it as well!?

December 22, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I was along time user of Wen primarily because it had been the only shampoo that didn’t fade my purple hair. I have since switched to NoPoo from DevaCurl after it was recommended to me by a hairdresser friend, and am never going back! I get twice as much for the same price, with way more volume and no fading! I usually get it on Amazon, but have seen it at Ulta too.

December 22, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I’ll have to give it a try! ❤️

February 11, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Love deva curl no poo too, great products, especially for curly hair …but hate the smell! What does living proof smell like and does the scent stick around or fade?

January 4, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Another lover of DevaCurl, works great with my natural curls. I,get mine at Ulta and the 20%off platinum coupon works. I’ve read some Amazon reviews that 3rd party resellers have watered down product

December 22, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I am also blown away by Living Proof. It started with a couple samples of the styling creams from Sephora, then noticing that all my good hair days correlated to when i used those products. Then I got the dry shampoo and it’s official. I actually spent way too much time yesterday watching their (and your!) YouTube videos to decide if I needed to invest in the shampoos. This seals the deal! Do you use any of the styling products or the nightcap/restore repair stuff too? What do you like the best of those? I want to try it all!

December 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Hahaha Isn’t the Dry Shampoo WORLD ALTERING!? I think I need to do a post about it all by itself! I LOOOOVE the nightcap I haven’t used the Restore yet but I will and I’ll report back!

Cathy B. (@fulltimemamom)
    December 22, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I LOVE Living Proof! I’ve been using their Perfect Hair Day shampoo and conditioner for almost a year. It is THE BEST. I love their dry shampoo and their thickening cream also. Like you said, it’s expensive, but you use the products less, so it evens out. 🙂

December 22, 2015 at 6:23 pm

So glad you love it too!!!

December 22, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Not being a stinker, but honestly weighs my decision….do u receive any kind of kick back or payment from living proof? Love u and use your products, I’m a huge fan.

December 22, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Great question! I totally understand why you’d want to know! Living Proof DID compensate me for the two trips I took ( to their lab in Boston & to meet Jennifer Aniston in LA) and the subsequent wrap up posts but I was under NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to say I liked the product or that I used it. I would never have taken the opportunity in that case because I had no idea going in what I would think and I was fully prepared to tell the truth (good or bad) after giving it an honest go. I also am not much of a product Junkie so when I like something I use it and talk about it often and I stick to it because I know most people aren’t beauty bloggers and don’t have the time or money to spend on switching to a new product constantly. For something to win me over usually takes a lot (before this I used Wen for around 4 years) and I take my recommendations very seriously. so there’s no way anyone could convince me to switch up my repeats for any amount of $$$:) Thank you so much for asking you’re not the least bit of a stinker!

December 22, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Perfect day hair is the only product I use right now – I used to use 3 products after every wash just to get a little bit of hold for curls. PHD is great for getting a style to last. I’ve never tried their shampoos (I am a pureology fiend) but now I am wondering…

December 22, 2015 at 6:23 pm

I actually LOVE Pureology too and that was one of the shampoos I was comparing it too. I got longer hairstyles after using No-Frizz but my hair was equally soft with both:)

December 22, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Are they Cruelty free?

December 22, 2015 at 6:22 pm

December 22, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I love Living Proof! Kind of expensive so I haven’t tried the shampoo and conditioner yet but I own a lot of their styling products. The thickening cream is a godsend to my thin hair. And it smells amazing. Thanks for the honest review.

December 22, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I really need to try the thickening cream. Everything I’ve heard is GLOWING! And yes all their products smell FANTASTIC! 🙂

December 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I have used Wen for more years than I can remember. It’s curly, long and thick so any kind of washing means tangles. I’m used to combing tangles out, either wet in the shower or out. Either way, I’ve lost hair in this process my entire life. I could never say that Wen has contributed to it. I love in an extremely dry climate, with hard water. It’s harsh on hair and skin. My hair is healthier now than it’s ever been! Every person is different and what works for some, won’t work for others. While I appreciate advice, I think it’s misleading for you to promote a product without being honest about the fact that the company paid you to visit them and meet their spokesperson. You’re cheap advertising to them, and honestly, it makes me want to stop following you.

December 22, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I’ so happy Wen works for you! It definitely worked awesome for me for a long time! I’m also really sorry to hear you feel that way. I felt that I had been very upfront that I was working with Living proof to tour their facility and meet their spokeswoman. This post was my honest opinion about their products that I would have posted either way:) I really hope you’ll stick around!

Elizabeth Frank
      December 22, 2015 at 11:11 pm

I don’t think that’s entirely fair… We all know she’s used Wen, so I think it would have been shady if she didn’t address it, and hair loss is a big issue for them right now. Just because it works for some people (I’d say a majority of people), there are still too many women with hair loss issues right now for it to be a coincidence. Yeah we all lose hair and for many different reasons, but I don’t think that many people noticing it right around when they started using Wen could be making it up. Now, it may not be entirely Wen’s fault, they could be scrubbing too hard or something, but it does seem like at least some batches of their product SOMEHOW contribute.
      As for your comment about Cara’s reservations, she was completely honest about that too… She never said she experienced problems, just that others have gone on record saying they have and that’s worrisome. I would feel awful if a product I previously promoted turned out to have adverse side effects on a great number of women, some who possibly bought into it based on my recommendation. To unfollow someone based on the tiniest reference to something that is a major deal is silly.

Elizabeth Frank
      December 22, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I’m really glad you addressed the hair loss issues with Wen, I knew you previously endorsed it and I was curious how you felt about the allegations. Living Proof is pricey but so is Wen!

December 22, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I also used wen to fix my damaged hair. It worked great until I noticed a greasy build up. This was probably after a year’s time. I switched to Living proof and absolutely love it. My hair is healthy and shiny. Even though it is kinda expensive, I find that a small amount goes a long way. Like you, I switched to a cheaper product that I could just pick up in a local store but my hair just seemed to frizz up. I’m staying with Living proof too!

December 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Haha so basically we had the exact same hair journey! Love that! #hairbesties

December 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

My stylist used the Living Proof Styling cream with Redkin shampoo and even though it was two different brands, I noticed how much cleaner my hair was and I also went a week without washing my hair. I have never used Wen but my stylist said she has three clients who had their falling out and issues with growing back after using Wen.

December 22, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Cara, if at any time you feel compelled to venture out of dry Utah, you must try Living Proof’s Frizz Shield. Oh. My. LIFE CHANGING for those of us battling humidity!! Love, love, love. But I love you and hac more, just so you know! 😉

Stephanie Valdez
    December 22, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I truly appreciate your honest recommendations and transparency about compensation. Wondered how Living Proof No Frizz smells? Also, have you used any of their styling products besides dry shampoo (like the curl line)?

December 23, 2015 at 11:44 am

Their curl line is a no poo shampoo so it’s fantastic for curls and keeping the moisture!

December 23, 2015 at 12:53 am

I started using Living Proof a year ago. I struggle with thin, limp hair, so I went with the “full” line of shampoo and conditioner. I LOVE IT!
    I’ve tried so many brands of salon shampoos. This is by far my favorite. It just works! Plus, it smells amazing and lasts forever. I haven’t even used up the original bottles.
    I do recommend using the styling products sparingly. They are so potent, a tiny bit goes a long way.
    FYI… If you spend $300 a year at ulta, you get platinum status on their rewards. I get 4 coupons a year for 20% off everything but fragrance. That’s when I buy refills of everything, including my living proof.

December 23, 2015 at 4:12 am

I love both Wen and Living Proof No Frizz products! I have to wash daily because I work out. So I use WEN during the week. But on weekends or when I know I will skip a workout I use Living Proof. I find the combination of both products is my sweet spot! And the Living Proof Nightcap is da bomb!!

December 23, 2015 at 5:23 am

Hi Cara, you’re my go-to for all things hair and beauty Always appreciate your honest and practical insight! You are literally the only blog I follow. I’ve been using your makeup line for over a year now and am in LOVE!

My question is how long would you estimate a bottle of shampoo and hair conditioner would last with the less frequent washes? My hair is pretty similar to yours.

Thanks, love you! Keep up the awesome work!

Amy Fiala
    December 23, 2015 at 6:01 am

Hello, I would imagine the No Frizz would be for curly/wavy hair. Do you recommend it for finer straight hair? Would LOVE to not wash my hair as often!

December 23, 2015 at 11:49 am

Try the volume line. The No frizz line might be a little heavy for hair that is very fine. Or try mixing and matching

December 23, 2015 at 6:04 am

Cara, the reason Wen users lose hair is because the product contains heavy film formers that literally starve your hair and scalp if not periodically clarified, eventually leading to loss.
    Katie Siepierski, a fellow cosmetologist, researched the ingredients and had this to say:

“Wen had and still has the potential to be something great if they would A) remove the non water soluble artificial film formers from it, or B) include a strong clarifying shampoo and instruct to use it every few washes, or include surfactants efficient for removal of the buildup. Sorry, but what cosmetic chemist formulated Wen? Any cosmetic chemist should know that you cannot leave buildup forever on the scalp! There’s so many good, natural, beneficial ingredients in Wen, if they left out the various artificial polymers/silicones, and instruct to clarify every few washes, or include surfactants efficient for removal in the cleanser, it wouldn’t cause hair loss.

Katie has formed a Wen hair loss support group on Facebook if anyone is interested.
    Glad to see you address this!!!

December 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Snopes and webMD says that pretty much baloney but that misinformation has been spread around the web by lawyers. Yeah, not trusting lawyers when it comes to hair science. WEN has helped my hair a lot from falling out. Have baby fine hair and its very prone to breakage and fallout. Its very fragile. Since using WEN for a few years now, its long for the first time, healthy with very little fallout. Its very possible some people are allergic to its ingredients because lets face it most of us have a bad reaction to a beauty product. Also correlation is causation. Unless they have a doctor that specifically says its WEN and WEN only, not buying the pseudo hair science.

Irissa (yourgirlnextdork)
    December 23, 2015 at 6:35 am

Oh, boy. Yet another great post that makes me wanna buy all that you recommend!! And you look stunning as usual. What makeup are you wearing on these photos Cara? You look like a million bucks.

December 23, 2015 at 7:47 am

Have you tried the Harry Josh Hair Dryer? I’ve read great things about the dryer, but it has such a hefty price tag. I’m still using your last hair dryer recommendation, Conair Infiniti Pro.

Back to Happy
    December 23, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Are these products natural?

December 30, 2015 at 11:10 am

I think that kind of depends on how you define “natural”…

December 23, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I have been using WEN for 1 year tomorrow. I like it a lot – but it IS expensive & I will check out some of these other options I have read here today.
    My biggest problem with WEN, which I have mentioned in reviews on Amazon & QVC, is the amount recommended to use in the directions. 16-20 pumps for short hair? 20-30 pumps for longer hair? I don’t think so! I have below-shoulder length medium fine, wavy hair & use 6-8 pumps max, & my hair is fully saturated. If you used the recommended amount, your bottle would run dry in a week. If that is WEN’s marketing plan, that irritates me & I will discontinue buying it based on that alone.
    However, my hair has never been better (health-wise) & I haven’t noticed any increased hair loss.

December 23, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I have been using wen for about a year and love it. As far as the buildup issue goes, I take Cara’s recommendation on making a paste with baking soda and water and using that to “wash” my hair every few weeks. This gets rid of the buildup immediately. I have used the regular living proof shampoo and conditioner about 2 years ago and didn’t love it. It stripped my hair and made it dry. I am looking forward to trying the no-frizz line instead. I love Wen but also love the Oribe line of shampoo/conditioner (moisture control line). Oribe is crazy expensive but your hair feels amazing afterwards. I would love to see a review on the Oribe products vs Living Proof. I have never noticed my hair falling out with Wen.

Karen Peterson
    December 23, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I bought a kit of the PHD from Sephora as it was travel size and I have been traveling pretty frequently; fell in love with the shampoo and conditioner and the 5-in-1 styling treatment. My hair feels like actual silky hair now instead of straw…

Kristi Beth
    December 23, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I just started using Living Proof products and I love it! I switch between Living Proof and Bumble and Bumble, and my hair just loves it! I love that there are so many great hair products out there right now.

Kristi | Be Loverly

Lani W.
    December 24, 2015 at 10:04 am

After reading your blog, I immediately went to Amazon and the No Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner are being delivered today! I use a few other products from the Living Proof line, and I am very excited to try these, too. Thanks for doing all of the research for us!

Renee LeVine
    December 25, 2015 at 9:01 am

Joining this conversation a little late but I am BIG fan of Living Proof! I started using the Perfect Hair Day shampoo and conditioner about a year or more ago. And I have found it to be that wonderful that every time I’ve thought about switching I decide it’s not worth it to switch. I have found the washing in between time has increased which is great and completely agree that in itself makes an expensive product worth it since it lasts longer. I have also used their dry shampoo (happily) and the No Frizz Conditioner (I switch back and forth with the 2 conditioners depending on weather). All of the products I find to be great – my hair feels soft, not weighed down, and clean after but also helps get the knots out that I have with my thick wavy/curly hair (that I straighten). Oh, almost forgot – I use coupons at Ulta to buy the products. You can’t use the regular weekly coupon but if they ever have 20% off, you can use that on the products.

Lauren Clemons
    December 25, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Cara, are you wearing hair extensions in this photo? You look gorgeous and you’re my hairspiration for my next appointment.

Casey Cooper
    December 26, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I am very interested in trying the Living Proof products! I was using Wen consistently for over a year, but the last shipment I got seemed to make my hair very oily and I did notice more hair in the drain than usual. That, in addition to the HORRIBLE customer service when I called them led me to look for another shampoo/conditioner. I have not found anything yet that works wonders on my hair. I am looking to fall in love with another hair line! Does anybody have a PROMO code for the Living Proof products? I want to try them without breaking the bank first, and I don’t live anywhere near a Sephora to get the samples that were mentioned. Cara, can’t you get us a deal??? Pretty please???

December 27, 2015 at 8:16 am

Cara, I would love to know if you or any of your readers have used a product called “Unwash”. A friend of mine recently started using it after a recommendation from her hair stylist. She loves it, but I am hesitant because it sounds similar to Wen. I would love some feedback if anyone has an opinion. Thanks!

December 27, 2015 at 7:25 pm

This sounds amazing and I am so glad you actually tried it for a few months before endorsing it. My only question is – if you workout and sweater vigorously every day would you still recommend it for daily use? Thanks!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

January 7, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Not cara, but I would suggest that you can simply rinse, and lightly detangle or condition, your hair after workouts and do full washes less often. It will be better for your hair anyway, and save product and money. Sweat doesn’t need much more than water to rinse away. I work out every weekday, but I only wash 3 times a week (trying to get back down to 2 times a week, but my skin and hair got oilier due to going off the pill last spring).

Chelle T
    December 27, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Do living proof products help with hair growth?

January 7, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I bet if it helps you wash less often, that is less damage to the hair, which can help hair grow longer.

December 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I love this post. I had exactly the same reaction when I started using Living Proof Volume Shampoo and Conditioner. My hair stayed styled and clean looking and feeling MUCH longer. At first I didn’t like the feeling of how squeaky clean my hair felt but after I realized it’s texture had improved overall- (I was able to air-dry my crazy, frizzy, unruly hair for the first time in my 29 years and it looked good!) And I also loved that I wasn’t washing as much as with other shampoos and conditioners or cleansing conditioners (deva curl, L’Oreal Ever Crème) I am sold. I don’t particularly need volume so I may try the Frizz Free next. I won the Volume shampoo and conditioner in a raffle otherwise I never would have shelled out the money to try it. It lasted me a long time too so I think it is definitely worth it. I also use the Restore Mask about once a month and I love that as well. It is not too heavy but definitely helps with any dry or blah feeling hair I think. I recently purchased the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo now that I know I like a “clarifying” shampoo and I like that as well for a cheaper option. I tend to use that on the day I am going to use the hair mask. I figure- make sure the hair is super clean so the mask can really do it’s job!

December 31, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I just wanted to say how much I love your guts and your blog. I have been following you since your first tutorials in a low lit kitchen, many years ago. I have loved watching your blog glow, I love how genuine and transparent you seem, and I appreciate that you aren’t a sellout! I genuinely believe that you stand by the products you promote. You are so beautiful inside and out and I just wanted to say thank you for remaining true throughout the years!

Angela Cruz
    December 31, 2015 at 11:20 pm

I just purchased the Living Proof Perfect Hair Day dry shampoo and the travel size kit of the shampoo, conditioner and 5-in-1 cream. This review makes me even more excited to try them. Your hair is amaaazing! And I need fewer washes!

January 2, 2016 at 2:35 am

Thank you for this post, Cara!! I am very curious about Living Proof. My hair is blonde & fine & damaged by my illness that I had a second major surgery for in late April last year. I got down to 96 pounds due to a bowel blockage caused by my Crohn’s disease that had me throwing up tons for months & alternating between eating a little to starving for days. As you can imagine it took its toll on my hair & body (& mind)! 🙂 I have all kinds of breakage around my crown still. I really need something good!! So I’m excited to look into this product. It sounds just lovely!

Mary Kate
    January 3, 2016 at 9:14 am

Hmm I haven’t tried living proof yet, but I’ve tried several different shampoos and always had issues with my hair getting greasy within like 12 hours. I’ll have to look into Living Proof!

Mary Kate

January 4, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I’ve been debating trying Living Proof & honestly haven’t mainly for the costly factor.. But after reading your review , I think buying the travel pack is in my near future!! Thank you!!

January 4, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I wanted to try Wen, but ended up giving another drugstore brand cleansing conditioner a go since it was such a bargain. Is the hair loss related to the type of shampoo, rather than just brand? I had been using it for about two years w/o problem, but I’m noticing significant loss. I come from a family of terrible hair and am getting a little older, so it’s really hard to pin it on the shampoo only.

Anyway–I think I will try some of the Restore formulation and go from there. Someone had asked above if it will help with growth. I’d love to know as well–I’d sure like to see that! But I’m assuming if the hair & scalp is healthy, it will grow better.

January 4, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I started WEN about 3 months ago based on your reviews. My hair has NEVER looked or felt so good. AND I am getting tons of compliments from my friends. I love the product and have no reason to stop using it. I did check out Living Proof and saw that it was $54 per bottle!!! I’m sorry but that’s just insane for shampoo. My WEN was $36 and lasted 3 months!

January 7, 2016 at 8:58 am

HI cara! You have the best white tees. could you tell me where you got the shirt you’re wearing in these photos?

January 21, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I’m curious about your white tees as well!

January 7, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hey Cara! 🙂

Every time I click on “older posts” it keeps taking me back to the homepage. Maybe something is wrong?

Happy Thursday!

January 7, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Me too!

January 7, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Whelp, I just bought the travel sizes of the No Frizz Shampoo, Conditioner, Styling creme, and the Curl detangler from Sephora…I only came to restock on Walnut contour, but I read this post about Living Proof and now I’m about $50 poorer, LOL! I also got the deluxe sample of the Curl conditioning cleanser and styling creme with the order, so I’m hoping for the same amazing results that Cara got! What really sold me was the fact of being able to go longer between washes…I’m always looking for ways to delay washing for many reasons (saves water, saves product, saves money, saves plastic from bottles, and saves my hair color!).

Mellisa Louise
    January 10, 2016 at 10:56 am

All of those posts about Wen and hair loss scared the crap out of me too! So glad you found an alternative that saves you time and will save you from Wen-Alopecia(yeh I made that up).

January 14, 2016 at 2:44 am

Great post.well done.keep going
    I really like your blog. I hope you will like mine

January 15, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Thank you love! So helpful as always. <3

Jamie Buchanan (@helllotherelady)
    January 18, 2016 at 8:02 am

Great review. I’ve been on the fence about Living Proof since a few friends tried and disliked it – but that’s going to happen with just about any hair product right?!. With a hairstylists as a husband he’s always skeptical about what I use but never said no to Living Proof.

Jamie of Hello There, Lady!

January 20, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Hi just received my Living Proof No Frizz shampoo and conditioner (ordered it after reading your post)…I’m so excited to try it! I hope my hair looks half as amazing as yours!

Marleina Harvey
    January 22, 2016 at 8:41 am

Can I just say how absolutely beautiful I think you are! You are my beauty inspiration! Can’t wait to try living proof! Love ALL of your blog posts! Thanks for being a true inspiration of beauty, inside and out!!!

Amanda Hanic
    January 23, 2016 at 6:49 am

I was getting so depressed about my hair after the birth of my 2nd child. It just seemed limp and lifeless. I was having to wash my hair almost every day and had to use heat styling a lot more. No fun!! I’ve always had really thick hair, but it just seemed like I was going to have to get some Rogaine!! Lol. I splurged and got the the Full Shampoi and the Frizz conditioner and after 1 use my hair actually feels clean and voluminous!! Going on day 3 (even with wearing my winter hat often to play in the snow) and my hair still feels just as clean!! If this continues I am a new Living Proof customer!

Shan Brown
    January 23, 2016 at 9:16 pm

The only two shampoos I really dislike are Wen and Living Proof. Wen to me was way too time consuming after rinsing and letting hair sit and Living Proof made my hair dull and greasy. And I’ve never had greasy hair in my life!! I prefer just about ANY OTHER shampoo but these two.

February 3, 2016 at 7:28 am

I’ve been trying the Living proof no frizz shampoo for about a month now and was so hoping for it to be my holy grail. Sigh. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for me. I have fine, but thick wavy hair. The shampoo makes it feel soft but it actually makes my hair frizzy and takes out all the waves. The result is a frizzy and kinda poofy un-straight mess. Guess I need to keep looking!

The Living Proof Experiment | Jillian Danielle
    February 5, 2016 at 5:02 am

[…] outrageous and I couldn’t convince myself that it would be THAT good.  It was finally Maskcara’s post about her switch from Wen to the Living Proof No Frizz line that pushed me over the edge to decide […]

February 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm

My hair is super dry and the ends keep breaking off. But it gets greasy and I need to wash about every day. Would u recommend the Living proof or is there something else.

February 19, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I’m a huge fan of cleansing conditioners as well, always trying different ones to find the right one for my curly hair. After reading this, I’m definitely going to have to give Living Proof a try, hope this will be the one. Thanks for sharing this review.

March 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Hi Cara, I’m so sorry if you’ve stated this before, I’ve only just found your blog! Who does your hair, cut & color? I don’t even know where you are located, but I’m hoping LA (or close by!) I’m a blonde who wants to go brunette, and I read that you did that! Your hair is gorgeous! xxoo

April 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hi Cara!

I have been wanting to give LP a try since I read this and finally made the leap. I bought the no frizz since my hair is pretty thick and wavy (when left to its own devices! 🙂 ) I’ve been using it for a little over a week. So – I’ve done about 3 washes. I am
    Loving the silky hair but I haven’t noticed any reduction in how
    Often I need to wash. I’m also using the split end repair in conjunction. Any thoughts on how long I should use before I make a decision? Thanks!

Katherine Carter
    July 3, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Do you have a post on how you “nursed your hair back to health” after frying it? I am in the same boat and can’t seem to find anything that helps! I have been using heat tools much less and am about to try the LP Restore line but was wondering if you had any other suggestions and tips. Thank you!

“Guys, I’m sticking with Living Proof” | Tryst
    July 9, 2016 at 8:50 pm

[…] I’m often asked by clients about Wen hair products. Television marketing is a powerful tool. I myself have been captivated by the infomercials. BUT, all of the research I’ve done has led me back to NO. Just no. My opinion: bad ingredients, bad reviews, and now more than 200 women claimed Wen hair products caused baldness. Blogger Cara of Maskcara was a lover of Wen, until she tried Living Proof. Here is her testimony: “Guys, I’m sticking with Living Proof”. […]