Makeup Makeup Products

Lip University

Have you ever seen a pair of lips that were THE PERFECT COLOR YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR and asked about the lipstick, then tried said lipstick and it looked completely different!?

I sure have.

One lip color can look drastically different on one mouth compared to the next.
Here are the main reasons why:

1. There is a WIDE range between natural lip colors.
Even very opaque lipsticks can be altered by the color you are beginning with on the lips.They can range to almost skin color to dark purple to ruby red even in their barest state. So if you saw the most gorgeous color and she told you she’s wearing something that turns out to be mostly sheer you can bet it won’t look the same on you. She’s got genes to blame for that rather than lipstick:)

2. Skin tone also changes everything!
Put a bubblegum pink lip on a porcelain face and you might get the sweetest pop of powder pink. Put it on a tan or ethnic beauty and you’ve got a glow in the dark avantgarde look. As well are well aware the color surrounding a color is what gives it context. A true red on one woman might be full throttle orange on another.

3. Lip shape has a part too.
As if it wasn’t individual enough as it is there’s also the issue of lip shape at play here. For instance a single shade nude lipstick might look perfect on a pair of puckers that is naturally “pouty” and sticks out from the face because it creates a shadow therefore differentiating the nude lip from the rest of the face…while that same color on a woman of the same skin tone might completely disappear if her lips are more flush with her face.

SO are we all just stuck with ever trying to get the lip color we want?
No ma’am! It just might take a little more experimenting if you’re looking for something super specific!

One of the best ways to do that is to get yourself a lip palette! One of the keys to getting the lip color that is perfect for you is mixing a couple together. Try using a darker or cooler color around the edges or mixing two colors together on the whole lip. This also gives you the opportunity to try a color (or mix of colors) that looks like it totally won’t work for you and falling in love with it. Lip colors can be incredibly deceiving in the tube!

If there was any time of year that would be perfect for getting one it would be NOW. There’s so many palettes that are around for Christmas at a great price and it would make a great item for your santa list! Bobbi Brown Palette (the one I’ll show you in this post) is a great one to try for those who like mostly neutral lip colors, another that looked like a great variety is this Smashbox one.

Here are some swatches and some different lip colors I got out of my palette (the mixes are endless!) As I hit on above these colors will probably not look exactly the same on you, this is more an example of the different options available in one palette and the basic tones of the colors:)

lips copy swatches

December 16, 2015 at 4:48 am

Wow, you have really adorable lips and all the lipstick are looking wonderful! My favourites are the darker shades 🙂
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

December 16, 2015 at 5:33 am

What did you use to line your lips? Did you use the same liner with evey color you tried?

December 17, 2015 at 2:04 pm

For all but the red colors I used my trusty occ cosmetics Sebastian for the red I just liked them with the darker reds in the palette (I could have don’t that with the other shades too and just used one of the darker shades in a similar hue but the occasion was easier:)

Karen Haskins
    December 16, 2015 at 6:18 am

Those colors are gorgeous! And while they are all look fabulous, I would really love to know which colors, specifically, you used in the first and last swatches…. and the liner…..

Thank you, Cara, and Merry Christmas!

December 17, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Good point I’ll go through and add that to the post!

December 16, 2015 at 7:34 am

Wow those all look beautiful! Do you have any suggestions for some great “natural” lip colors? I have sensitive skin and my lips seem to be allergic to anything that’s not really simple, small ingredient lists (I’ve had good luck with “stains” not causing the hives though). i get jealous of all the beautiful lip shades! 😉

December 16, 2015 at 7:53 am

Gorgeous! That’s a really pretty palette!

Alyssa | Glitter and Grey

December 16, 2015 at 8:06 am

Great tips and gorgeous palette!

December 16, 2015 at 8:29 am

Love the colors on this palette!

Mary Kate
    December 16, 2015 at 10:11 am

I seriously never would have thought that so many things influenced what color lipstick looks good on different people!

Mary Kate

Shannon Sage (@shannonsage7)
    December 16, 2015 at 11:16 am

This was so informative! I have always wondered why I see a lipstick I love on one person and then when I try it, it looks nothing like that! Yeah, I had no idea that so many factors when into this! Thanks for sharing and educating me haha!

Miki Nyckel
    December 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Ooh that bobby brown palette looks lovely!! Thanks for the tips!

December 16, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Beautiful colors and great tips, but could you recommend a more affordable option? Spending that much on one product is out of reach for a lot of us. Thanks.

December 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

Cara, love this lip post! I just started getting into doing my lips a little and am BEGGING for a post about Lipsense, what are your thoughts on the products? They are kind of pricey, if you’ve tried them, is it worth it? Are they good/bad for your lips?

Nisi Kemp
      October 6, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Tara! I just tried Lipsense for the 1st time and absolutely fell in LOVE with it!!! They are kind of pricey however if you sign up to be a distributor you automatically get a 20% discount. Trust me, I’ve tried getting it on ebay but they’re the same price if not more :/. The ingredients are all natural and actually make your lips really health. Helps “sloth” off all the dead skin

December 22, 2015 at 8:38 pm

How do you feel about lip primers?? I don’t try lipstick very often, but every time I do, I feel like it looks flaky. Thanks so much!

Livia @
    December 27, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Amazing swatches and awesome post. Thank you for sharing! xx

January 1, 2016 at 11:30 am

Well, little lady. Your post MADE ME buy the BB palette! The photos just knocked me out! I own dozens of lipsticks and even lipstick palettes (by Japanesque) that I’ve filled with my own lipsticks…..but here I go again! I’m currently transitioning from dyed medium brown to my natural white and grey via blonde highlights to blend the grey into the brown; hence, I’m now a very light blonde! And I’m afraid my makeup look has to change a bit, so the palette will help me try different lip shades (don’t you love “Makeup-rationalization? lol). I own one Bobbi Brown lipstick and I love the formula….now I have to find my lip brushes!

Maggie Homstad
    February 8, 2016 at 5:01 am

Cara!! Lips are one thing I have been neglecting in my makeup routine mostly because I can never find that perfect color. Trying the Bobbi Brown Palette and I’m so excited. Thank you for this post!
    Maggie XO

June 14, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Cara, you are amazing! I bought the Smashbox palette, but I’ve wanted the Bobbi Brown one for awhile. Do you have both? If I have the Smashbox, do you think I need the Bobbi Brown? Just curious…
    Thanks for the great post! Sorry I read it so late! haha