Hair Hair Products

Living proof and a Living Hair Legend

A few you weeks ago I was able to go on a really awesome trip to visit the lab for a hair care company called Living proof. I was invited to come with a few other bloggers to check out their lab, find out how their products work and meet their top stylist. I’m always interested in how things are made and the story behind successful brands so I was all about it!

When we arrived we realized that their stylist was none other than Chris McMillan!

AKA the guy who cut “The Rachel” (and has been Jen Aniston’s stylist ever since). He’s also the man responsible for Miley’s iconic haircut!He’s basically taken his scissors to pretty much every huge celebrity’s locks in the last 20 years. We hung out with him most of the day AND he even cut and styled my hair!!

He was just a joy to be around and knows his stuff!

Here are a few of his best pieces of hair advice:

“Organic inside, science outside”

His thinking here is that eating healthy organic food is great for your body, hair and skin but in his findings with organic hair products…not so much. He thinks with companies like Living Proof showing the scientific proof of results in haircare, then why not use it?”

“Your hair starts growing as soon as you leave the salon.”

The guy is a master with short cuts so it’s not a shock that he’s all about taking risks! (I had to argue with him a little because yeah it does START growing but for some of us that could be a decade long event.) I see what he’s saying though, its just hair, it will eventually grow back and you might as well have fun with it!

“The KEY to perfect air dried hair is DO NOT TOUCH IT!”

Well aren’t we on the same page on this one Chris!! I too am a firm believer. He said the new trend is all about air drying and natural texture but you gotta use the right products (he recommended Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner because it cuts the frizz and lets the softest side of your hair texture shine) and no touching. Just leave it alone!

They also introduced us to the team at Living Proof and told us what the brand is all about.
It’s really a cool story about how they basically noticed that all of the hair products out there were using the same ingredients in their products and no one seemed to be making any real scientific advances so a couple of scientists got together and started trying to fix hair problems from a scientific approach. It was really interesting to see some of the tests they put the products through to find out if they were actually working.

Like with their Dry Shampoo, they took microscopic photos of dirty hair and then compared that to the post dry shampooed hair until they got it to come out almost completely clean! I was pretty amazed by that. It was really fun to see. Here’s a little recap video of the trip:)

I’ve been using their products since and so far so good (especially loving the Dry Shampoo) but as always I’ll let you know after a thorough vetting what my final word is:)

*This post was in collaboration with Living Proof:)

Meri Waldron
    October 27, 2015 at 4:40 am

That cornstarch thing was cool. What a cool CEO for doing that. Love this!

October 27, 2015 at 5:56 am

Am I the only one who sees ads over half of the text? I’ve noticed this since you changed your format a few months ago. I can only read your new post a few days later after it drops below the ads. Does anyone else have this problem?

October 27, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Yes, I’ve been having the same problem in Chrome, if the window is not fully maximized. I’ve also noticed it IE, but not as dramatic.

October 27, 2015 at 6:31 am

Look at you there with Bri – another blog I read! I’m interested in your final vote on this product because I am still searching for a great shampoo and conditioner. However, I have to say I don’t agree with the organic on the inside, science on the outside approach because our skin will absorb what we use on the outside so the science will end up on the inside! As a two time cancer survivor, I really want a totally healthy hair care routine. But no luck so far. I may have to settle for unhealthy but effective. Still searching for that to!

Just Me
      October 27, 2015 at 9:56 am

Have you tried Carina Organics? It’s 100% natural and actually cleans and doesn’t leave me stinky. It has a light natural scent too bc I don’t do the who fragrance thing. Only downfall is you have to order from Canada so shipping is pricy.

October 28, 2015 at 7:24 am

I never heard of this line. I live in Canada definitely going to check them out!! Thanks

October 28, 2015 at 7:21 am

There is also ACURE ORGANICS. They have a website online at or you can get them at VITACOST. They have alot of amazing reviews and the prices are super affordable.

October 27, 2015 at 7:02 am

I LOVE their Perfect Hair Day creme…I love it. I tossed so many products after I started using it…and you need so little of it at a time.

What a fun field trip for you!

October 27, 2015 at 7:14 am

Cara, this post is awesome! I’m so glad you’re testing this line because I greatly trust your opinion. You are such a lucky girl! What are the names of the other bloggers in the photos? Can’t wait for your results! Love you and your makeup!

Felicia Eis
    October 27, 2015 at 7:44 am

Oh my gosh I totally LOVE the dry shampoo (the only product I have tried so far) as it’s totally changed the hair game for me!! I was so excited to see that you are learning about and trying their products! Can’t wait to see what more you have to say 🙂

Miki Nyckel
    October 27, 2015 at 9:19 am

How cool is that! Neat to know, and what a blast for you 🙂

Tasha Juli
    October 27, 2015 at 9:29 am

What a cool trip! I’ve always enjoyed Living Proof products.
    Tasha Juli

October 27, 2015 at 10:16 am

Does this mean no more Wen? I was on the fence about Wen (because it’s so expensive) & went thru months of meh & down right fails with off-brand dupes. Almost a year ago I tried the real stuff because of YOU & haven’t looked back since! I’m a true Wen girl now!

Lovely Sharice
    October 27, 2015 at 10:37 am

You truly have beautiful hair!

Jennifer Wright (@stylishlysocial)
    October 27, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I love Living Proof products, haven’t met one I didn’t like yet!

October 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I love Living Proof anti frizz products. The styling cream! The humidity shield! All of them! Too many to mention! I have VERY curly hair, but you’d NEVER know it. My hair is sleek, straight and frizz free. Best stuff ever!!

October 27, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I’m also curious if you’re going to stop using Wen and what you think of these products. Great post!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    October 27, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I’m interested to hear your take. I love their dry shampoo and styling cream but the No Frizz shampoo and conditioner made my hair really tangly and frizzier!

October 27, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Living Proof! Use no frizz religiously and it’s been my lifesaver since ☺️☺️

Kathy OHalloran
    October 27, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Do you use styling product when you air dry? And if so, do you comb it through and then not touch it? Thanks.

October 27, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Totally looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the dry shampoo! So far I’ve just found dry shampoos that make my hair look less oily, but no more clean 🙁

October 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

Awesome!!! Living Proof is my favorite line of hair products! 🙂

October 28, 2015 at 11:05 am

The “Organic inside, science outside” approach doesn’t sit well with me. Science here seems like a nice way of saying chemicals. Chemicals in our beauty products would be fine for us if our skin/bodies were unable to absorb them, but that’s simply not the case!

I used chemically (technical term lol) hairspray, maybe twice a week for four years, until one day, I sprayed it on my just curled hair and immediately needed to puke/started to get a migraine. Around the same time I started getting rashes on my wrist. Not fun, but I loved how my hair looked with my chemical hairspray so I tried a few more times! Nope, my body was done with that crap. I’ve had a few doctors explain it me: I was putting chemicals into my body and kept adding and adding to the amount, and then one day my “chemical tank” was full, so everything else I added overflowed and that’s why I was having reactions. Worse yet, I was working as a nanny during the time I was spraying the chemical hairspray on, then I was carrying the kids/babies around and they were potentially absorbing chemicals from me…I still feel guilty about that but it didn’t even cross my mind at the time.

Freaks me out what I was spraying on my hair. So his motto throws up some red flags, and quite frankly, bums me out!

Toronto Hairstylist
    October 28, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Like Olivia here, I’d rather go with herbs and natural products. However, if you’re going for a particular look then chemicals are the quickest way to it.

Ciji Sampson
    October 29, 2015 at 9:33 am

I’m so jealous you got to go there and meet Chris! Your hard work has just opened the whole world to you and you deserve it! I’m so happy for you! Definitely let us know what you think after trying these products for awhile.

October 29, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I love Living Proof products! I’ve only tried out a few products this year, but I definitely want to try out more.
    Also, I’m jealous that you got to meet Chris McMillan!

Kristi | Be Loverly

kristina malinowski
    October 31, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Omg love your top.. where you get it!?!?

Chrissie Dyson
    November 2, 2015 at 11:52 am

OMG Chris McMillan did your hair?? That is crazily cool. It looks great btw but no surprise there. Has the range been launched yet? Thanks Chrissie

November 3, 2015 at 8:48 am

I loved seeing you on the camera all smiling! You’re such a happy person! It rubs off.
    I was kinda laughing listening to that stylist because, um, don’t these people realize that a large part of why people want to use organic products is not because they’re so awesome on our hair, but because they are environmentally friendly? Lots and lots of people are sacrificing the ‘effectiveness’ of non-organic products because they don’t want to be washing gross stuff down the drain and into our waterways, and are just trying to do that less. I just didn’t know if they addressed that somewhere else or what.

November 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I just ordered Perfect Hair Day to use before I get my next auto shipment of Wen. I have been wanting to see if there is any difference in my hair and how easily it will (hopefully) style. Great post. You said that you would give a follow up on how much you like it, when can we expect that?

November 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Do you like Wen or Living Proof better?