Makeup Makeup Products

Tip Tuesday: Lash Extensions

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about my lash extensions lately so I thought I’d fill you in on the details.
Lash Extensions2

So I used to have lash extensions but when I noticed that my lashes seemed to be really suffering and becoming more sparse I jumped ship. I have few enough lashes as it is and I didn’t really want to risk losing more of them!
Once you’ve had them though, it’s hard to go back! I never really got used to going without so I started wearing falsies more and more.
Once Billy came along falsies seemed like a far cry for me so I considered getting extensions again. I wondered if there had been any advancements that would be safer for my lashes and in my research I learned some great tips.

1. You have to be careful with your length choice.
I’d always request 12’s or 13’s (long/glam) but my fine feathery natural lashes really couldn’t handle that much weight. They would turn into each other (which creates a clumpy spidery look after a while) and were stressing my baby lash hairs out big time. Now I compromise on the length so I can keep them looking better longer without the damage.
2. Find an artist who does volume.
Volume lashes are the newest advancement in extension and they are amazing! I can go twice as long between fills (4 weeks now – before they looked sparse after 2) They are lighter and thinner so they tend to look more natural. They’re especially good for people who don’t have a ton of hairs to begin with.
3. Don’t touch them with your fingers, ever!
Nervous habits beware: there is nothing to be gained from picking at, arranging or petting these guys. It wreaks havoc on the glue and pulls at the follicle. You can always use a spooly to brush them when you feel like they need it:)
Lash Extensions
4. Try not to sleep on your face
Face sleeping seems like a hard habit to break but it’s gonna cause fall out. After a couple nights of forcing myself to sleep sideways instead and adjusting the pillow a bit so it doesn’t rub my eyes I got in the groove pretty well.
7. Not all applications are created equal.
I never thought about requesting anything besides length on my lashes until I’d used falsies for a few years. I have a really specific taste in those so why wouldn’t I want mine done in a similar way? I asked that she do varied length (8, 9 & 10’s I believe) I prefer that because I think they can look a little broom-like when they’re all the same. I also wanted the longest ones in the center of my eyes. A lot of people prefer the longest to be on the outer corner but for my eye shape I prefer center.
6. Find an artist with GREAT reviews.
Photos are nice and I definitely scouted a bunch of them before I found my girl but an actual referring is much more assuring. I feel like it’s a really specific talent of being very patience and paying attention to finite detail. I also asked to see a photo of one of her clients lashes after removal. They looked great! For St. George & Salt Lake Gals (she travels to both) my lash artist is Kaitlin she does a really beautiful job! Tell her I sent you:)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Micah Tjeerdsma
    October 20, 2015 at 7:16 am

Do you know what brand she uses? We have quite a few places in Tulsa that use different brands…which just makes it harder to choose a place to go!!

October 20, 2015 at 8:22 am

I was going to do this but decided to give the individual lashes from Sephora a try before I made the commitment. I’m hooked on them now, they’re easy to apply, stay on all day and I can reuse them if I take them off carefully. A $14 box lasts me a month. I think they just got rid of the Make-up Forever line and started their own. I haven’t tried those yet but they look very similar online.

October 20, 2015 at 9:08 am

I have been getting lash extensions for a while now and I am totally hooked–I can’t image life without them (well, I don’t need to imagine…before extensions, my pathetic little stubs all pointed downward into invisibility). A good lash tech should listen to what it is that her client wants, but should never comply without serious thought to what is best for the health of her client’s lashes. Before I committed to the tech I see now, I went to a lovely woman who really wanted to make me happy by giving me super long extensions. Well, those lasted for about 2 days before they all drooped down. I think my current tech saved my lashes and explained to me that the ones the other tech put on were way too long and heavy and should have never been used. I love Xtreme Lashes and their techs are highly educated (but that also reflects in their price, too). The one bit of advice that I’d like to pass on is to not expect super lush (volume) lashes if you don’t have something to attach the extension to. As I said, my natural lashes are sparse and so therefore, I will never get the same look as false eyelashes by using extensions. Having said that, I’m still super happy with extensions and they are a totally uplifting and joyous gift I give to myself!

October 20, 2015 at 9:25 am

This is so informative! Thank you! I’ve been thinking about getting lash extension for a while. Do you have any experience with lash TINTING? I’m curious about this option as well and would love to hear your opinion if you’ve given it a try! 🙂

October 20, 2015 at 10:38 am

Your eyebrows look different, and I am not sure why. Are they filled with a different color? Or just filled in a different style? I actually liked them more before… and I’m not sure what I liked more about them, haha!

October 20, 2015 at 11:15 am

Awesome advice! I’ve always considered getting this done because I wear falsies from Morphe Brushes every day, but I am still weighing all my options.

October 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

I’ve had extensions before for several months and loved them, but I was impatient and uncomfortable to lie there for the application and fills. Recently in my hunt to get them again, however, I ended up at a salon that does “individuals” for $20 and it takes about 10 minutes. They last 2 weeks, and I’ve had them for months (going about every 2 weeks I mean). This past Friday I got them taken off as I was in a hurry and I wanted to confirm that I still had real lashes under there, so with the intent of taking a short break, I had to drag out my last curler and mascara and frankly it’s not that fun. I sure got spoiled not having to do a thing and having nice long lashes. I will probably go back soon to have them put back on. (PS I’m in Orange County CA and this salon is in Fountain Valley – so many ppl have asked me about it, but I don’t know what salons do it and if you would just ask for “individuals” or ?)

October 20, 2015 at 1:10 pm

HI anyone know any good lash salons that does what Kara is describing in the fort lauderdale, hollywood, boca area?

Claire Hawkes
    October 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Cara, what is your opinion on permanent makeup? I’m considering eyebrows and/or top eyeliner from a girl in North Ogden who did my sisters but I’m not sure if there is a downside to getting it done (unless you are getting thin black ones).

October 20, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Lash Extensions destroyed my lashes. But I have a problem with touching my eyes.
    I use GrandeLash MD, it’s like Latisse but way cheaper.
    My lashes are still thin, but they are way longer and healthier. I really recommend trying it !! I’ve been using it for a while now and no bad reactions.
    I’ll only ever get extensions again if I go on a long vacation or when I get married ☺️

Diana in LAS
    October 20, 2015 at 9:11 pm

The last couple of times I did extensions, I had the worst reaction to the adhesive. I even tried their ‘sensitive’ adhesive (Cherry Lash Lounge) with the same results. While I LOVED having extensions, my eyes revolted and lashes fell out to where I was almost bald. Alas, they aren’t for me!

October 21, 2015 at 7:14 am

Unfortunately, lash extensions destroyed my lashes… even when being very careful with length and care.. and even when going to a highly trained and highly recommended lash ‘artist’. I think some people respond differently but you never know the full impact until you let all the extensions come out (which is hard! they’re addictive) and see what you’re left with. Its not fun. I will never do them again. I had to use Latisse to get my lashes back and now have my lashes tinted once a month– they have never looked better – plus there’s no maintenance to worry about.

October 21, 2015 at 7:56 am

Have you thought about using Younique 3D mascara? Our mascara actually helps to rebuild and thicken your lashes while giving them volume and length at the same time. If you’re interested, please let me know or you can visit my website at

October 21, 2015 at 3:07 pm

How do you wash off your eye makeup with lash extensions?

October 21, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I wish falsies and extensions covered blond lashes. Mine are dark brown except for this weird annoying patch of blonde on my right eye. I hate it lol. Only mascara covers it because it coats my lashes, but I detest mascara.

October 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm

i’ve been getting lash extensions for the last few months since my 2nd was born, and it’s amazing!! helps me to feel a little less tired when i look in the mirror, and makes getting ready for work a breeze.
    i’m curious, what do you mean by you prefer the longest lashes in the center of your eye for your eye shape? i honestly haven’t thought much about it; my technician is pretty great and i’m always happy with her work. but wondering how i can optimize my lash extensions when i go for my refill tomorrow!

October 23, 2015 at 4:43 pm

ok turns out my technician has been doing the same thing (longest lashes at center of eye); she said it helps to open up my eye. putting the longer lashes at the end would kinda drag my eye shape down. whatever it is, it works and i love it. fresh lashes are the best 😉

October 25, 2015 at 2:01 pm

How do you wash off your eye makeup with lash extensions?

November 17, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I use a Q-tip with non-oily makeup remover. You have to be careful not to get “fuzzies” on your eyelashes though.

November 4, 2015 at 10:12 pm