My Life

Flying with a baby.

I flew to Boston yesterday ALL BY MYSELF!
I did miss my boys later but while I was on the plane I definitely did not!
What a joy to just sit, read and relax. I told one of my friends how wonderful it was after something like 20 flights (poor billy!) with an infant over the last year. I get so stressed and worried about him having to endure a flight and concerned we’d be bothering others. To that she said that she wished people were more understanding and nice to moms on the plane.

That totally stopped me in my tracks.

OH no! I did not mean to imply that people were at all rude, quite the contrary in fact!
It got me thinking over some of the sweet experiences I had with the goodness of strangers and I think, those people…the everyday kind hearted souls, just don’t get enough credit, so I thought I’d share a couple of those stories today.

While Billy was teething I was exceptionally stressed, he was pretty miserable and fuzzy and I went to the very back of the plane and prayed for an empty seat next to me (southwest seating). At the very last minute a tough looking man ran down the aisle. As soon as he laid eyes on the tight squeezed seat next to me and an infant he looked like he might hyperventilate and started mumbling something about being claustrophobic to the flight attendant. He thinks this is bad, I thought, wait until I have to breastfeed! There was no where else for him to go so grudgingly he sat down and put his head in his hands. I tried to keep the little wandering and sticky hands as far away from this poor guy as I could and struggled to shush him and keep him distracted even more than usual. It was going to be a long awkward flight!
But as soon as we were safely in the air the guy sat up and started playing with Billy. He was so sweet with him! He sang him songs and played games with him. He reassured me a thousands times that he wasn’t bothering him one bit. He showed him photos of his puppies on his phone and dangled his keys and before I knew it we were landing!
Before he got off he said “Man, I thought that was gonna be a terrible flight stuck in the back but it was such a pleasure to get to sit by this cute little guy.”

What a lovely surprise. He may not ever know how much that meant to me and how much worry and stress he so sweetly alleviated that day.

The next act of kindness comes to mind when Billy was exhausted during a layover and this baby whisperer took him in her arms and rocked him to sleep (in like 10 seconds flat!)

Or when this family across the aisle entertained him with crayons and toys and snacks on a long flight from New York to Las Vegas.

Not to mention to 100’s of women who gave me reassuring smiles during crying spells and offers to do anything to help during the flight as soon as they spotted me holding an infant.

It is really incredible that people would go out of their way to show kindness when it would be so easy and quite reasonable to be annoyed or indifferent instead.

It’s not easy being a parent. We can’t possibly be everything they need. But we are lucky,
oh so lucky,

that there are so many grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and perfect strangers willing to lend a hand when ours alone are not enough.

September 30, 2015 at 4:23 am

I love this Kara! I found the same when I traveled with my twins when they were infants. Most people are kind. Welcome to Boston! If you need any suggestions let me know…

September 30, 2015 at 5:03 am

I live right near Boston. I wish you were here to do my makeup!

September 30, 2015 at 6:27 am

So excited you are in Boston so sad for you it is during torrential rain. Would love to see you. My friend Jess and I think you are amazing!!

September 30, 2015 at 6:31 am

Thank you!!! In a world of parents freaked out by their own shadow this is such a breath of fresh air. I always try to explain to others that I don’t necessarily believe in stranger danger, as my experience is the exact opposite! When people see me with my babies they open doors, help catch my toddler if he takes off, get napkins for me at McD, the list goes on and on. Yes there are crazies out there but there are FAR more angels.

September 30, 2015 at 6:45 am

This is the sweetest story Cara! I absolutely love it when people step up and show the caring side of humanity! The photo of the baby whisperer totally reminds me of my Aunt! She has always been there to put all of my kids, when they were fussy, teething babies to sleep and on occasion many of whom she didn’t know. She just has that special technique! She is very well endowed, and it’s just something about her wrapping them up in her arms, nuzzling them into her bosom, and rocking them to sleep while softly singing hymns. She literally has a 10 second record! I just love this Cara, and thank you so much for sharing!

September 30, 2015 at 7:24 am

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

September 30, 2015 at 8:05 am

What a beautiful post! It’s so easy to get caught up in the negative and hard aspects of our experiences…these are wonderful! It’s so awesome to see the special people that our placed in our path to help us out…so glad you had these people to help you!

September 30, 2015 at 8:09 am

I love this post and I couldn’t agree more. We have flown to visit my Mom on about 20 flights since my daughter was born, and we’ve been so fortunate to have some very sweet passengers around us. I think a lot of people are so nervous and dread flying with their baby, but as long as you are prepared it really isn’t that bad! The sounds and motion usually help put them to sleep too : )
    When Billy gets a bit older you’ll have to grab some window gel cling decals from Target, they really helped keep my toddler entertained on flights!

Jamie Buchanan (@helllotherelady)
    September 30, 2015 at 8:25 am

This post reminds me of the story that came out this week of a woman who offered to hold a crying baby to help the mother out. Stories like these just warm my heart. Glad that women can come together for the best moments and support each other!

September 30, 2015 at 8:41 am

I love this! We flew with my toddler and 6 month old recently and they were both soooo upset. Everyone was so understanding! People gave our toddler toys and snacks (we had some but he loved the new ones so much more) and a woman played with our baby for a good 30 minutes! It was amazing because I was so worried about bothering people. There are so many kind individuals out there who are so understanding of parents just doing their best.

September 30, 2015 at 8:47 am

This is such a great post! Thank you for sharing!! It’s a great reminder of how those who have no children can offer a helping hand:)

September 30, 2015 at 8:48 am

That is awesome. I love it when goodness walks right down our path. I flew with my little ones back in 1987 and both were under 3. After sitting my DD needed to be nursed, I covered with a blanket as I always did in public, a guy 2 rows over immediately rushed to the aisle seat near us for conversation on “wow, I never heard of anyone missing their flight” DD wanted to play the peak-a-boo game and nursing was done.

September 30, 2015 at 9:10 am

This was touching! There are good people everywhere!

Becky Clegg
    September 30, 2015 at 9:22 am

I agree with Jaclyn, and loved this post. Your pics especially moved me. Babies are the one thing that bring us beyond our reservations and cultural boundaries to express love to perfect strangers. I love this!! thank you!

ashley mills
    September 30, 2015 at 9:26 am

This was a joy to read. Thanks for posting. My son is 7 months and we’ll be flying for the first time next month so it was awesome to read that very positive things can happen when flying with an infant. The pictures were so sweet and I especially loved the picture of Billy being fawned over while sleeping in another flyers arms. Again. Thanks for sharing this!

September 30, 2015 at 11:08 am

I forgot to add… you seem to be doing a fabulous job with your little ones, you’re so patient and positive, it’s really inspiring! You probably don’t need the advice since you’re now an experienced flyer, but if you ever need some tips for flying with a toddler, I wrote a little post about it here:

September 30, 2015 at 11:43 am

This kinda made my day. Thanks for posting. It’s so good to see the better side of humanity and I love that you took photos! I have 6 kids and I’ve been there with babies on flights and it is an answer to prayer when people are kind. I love this!

September 30, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I love these stories! So often we are thinking about what can this person do for me when we all could do a little better at asking what can I do to for someone else to lift their burdens.

Rachel Starr
    September 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

So sweet! Years ago, I was flying alone from Phoenix to Seattle with my daughter (3yrs) and my son (6mo). A woman was traveling with her granddaughter who was about the same age as my daughter. During the flight my son got fussy. This woman offered to let my daughter come and sit in the extra seat in their row (across the aisle from me) to color and bought her a snack box. I was so grateful! It was quite possibly the nicest thing a stranger had ever done for me! I’ve definitely been trying to “pay it forward” ever since 🙂

Kara Dalmacio
    September 30, 2015 at 12:41 pm

This is a great post! So heartwarming! ❤️

Miki Nyckel
    September 30, 2015 at 12:59 pm

There is nothing like women who give you sympathetic, understanding smiles! It’s really nice. Rather than the nasty, evil eye. I had a collicky, demanding baby. I am always sympathetic of other Moms 🙂

September 30, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I swear I seem to be crying with everything I read lately but I really appreciated this post! I tend to be more of a shy person around strangers but this helps me want to help mothers out more. I just feel sometimes like they would get antsy with a stranger wanting to hold their baby but perhaps it would be exactly what they need. Thank you for this!

September 30, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I fly a lot and am sorry to say that many people (but not all) with very young ones do not seem to have thought ahead about what will make the flight easier for their little ones. In fact, I also see adults who do not seem to make the effort to control their kids or consider how disruptive behavior impacts others. It may be that the parents are weary of traveling with their kids, but the issue seems to be pervasive from my point of view.

September 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Thank you for sharing these experiences. It made my day!

September 30, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I think your sweet disposition naturally brings it out in others.

September 30, 2015 at 3:58 pm

You totally got me tearing up!! Your baby is so cute, though, how could anyone be annoyed at him!

September 30, 2015 at 5:46 pm

You have no idea how much I needed to hear this! My husband and I are about to take our 2 and 4 year old overseas to the Philippines to be full time missionaries. We will be traveling for over 30 hours, with nearly 24 of that in the air. I have been worrying myself to death about flying with two toddlers. Although I am sure people are much more considerate about a cute little baby, I hope to goodness that people will have mercy on a 2 year old little boy who will probably be running up and down the aisles on our long flights!! Thanks for making me feel a little better about what strangers will think!!

September 30, 2015 at 8:04 pm

THANK YOU for sharing this. The picture of the Baby Whisperer made my day. It is SUCH a blessing when people reach out to and encourage moms (and dads). 🙂

Karen Peterson
    September 30, 2015 at 8:16 pm

So sweet; thank you for being generous enough to share your baby. I am the one that always love the little ones when I am out and about. Many moms are not very receptive to you holding their little one to help out.

October 1, 2015 at 1:28 am

What a lovely post. Love this. 🙂

October 1, 2015 at 7:50 am

I was moved to tears. Thank you for sharing.

October 1, 2015 at 10:58 am

I’m hoping for the option of “Child Free Flights” soon to ease everyone’s worries!!

October 1, 2015 at 11:45 am

Cara, I think you’re the generous and kind one to share the joy of your baby with others!

October 1, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Saw this article today and Immediately thought of this post! At first glance, I thought maybe it was the same lady who held Billy…. she just goes around holding crying babies on planes. Ha ha.

October 2, 2015 at 2:22 am

What a sweet story, Cara!! I’m glad you got the help you needed. Flying with little ones can be quite difficult.

October 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm

What an uplifting post, thank you so much for sharing! Glad I stopped by today.

Maria Angelica
    October 2, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I am not a mom, I really won’t fully understand this situation until I have my own children. However, I wanted to congratulate you for being aware of the kindness of people and talking about it. I have found that there is so much kindness around us, unfortunately we always tend to focus on the negative and that prevails.

October 3, 2015 at 4:26 am

Cara! Are you doing make up while you’re here??? How can I get in on it? Dying to learn your brow genius – I’ve tried it myself and its not pretty…

On the plane situation: I’ve avoided taking my 2 year old on a plane thus far – because I can’t imagine him staying still for 6 hours… At what age did Crush become able to sit without freaking out?

October 11, 2015 at 5:58 am

These are my favourite types of stories EVER. With all the horrible stuff that’s in the news, it’s easy for people to forget that there are gentle, kind, loving human beings in the world, and they probably make up the majority of people one comes across!
    That photo of the “Baby Whisperer” is amazing. She looks like she is transferring waves of tranquility and love and comfort to little Billy, and it’s taken him straight to dreamland!
    God bess you for sharing these stories x

October 13, 2015 at 1:53 pm

We’re so often too quick to share a negative experience, but we don’t always feel inclined to share the positive ones! I was flying once from California back home to Boston with my 4 year old & 2 year old. My 4 year old had broken his leg a week before & was in a toe-to-thigh cast. He was too young to be given crutches, so I had to carry him. The airline was AWFUL; not helpful to me at all. However, other passengers were lovely. They offered to carry my backpack & to lead my toddler to a seat. They let me sit down on their armrests so I didn’t have to stand in the aisle holding my child & bags. It’s a beautiful thing to see kindness 🙂

October 18, 2015 at 8:04 am

Love this story! I’m not a mom but am encouraged that people are kind to people traveling with their babies.