Hair Hair Tutorials

Festival Hair

I know that braids are so hot right now.
It makes me feel kind of outside the club.

Like in Junior High when all the cool kids in school went snowboarding every SINGLE weekend and I didn’t have the cash, the board or the know how to join them…pretty sure I never got invited either but that was totally because I didn’t have the required equipment, cause middle schoolers are always very inclusive and welcoming with everyone:)  I prayed for April to come and if the snow melted early I’d nod understandingly at their frustration while inside I was fist pumping and doing the dougie. I was so relieved that I didn’t have to feel like I was missing out on something that was so incredibly cool and exciting. (epic as it may be I still have yet to do it!)

Festival Hair copy

Instead of wishing that braids would go away I just stare longingly at them and wish I had the patience and dexterity (and sheer amount of hair) to do them myself.

In the meantime  find a hairstyle that is so cute and so boho-esque with braids involved and everything! So, I teamed up with Sally Beauty to show you how I do it! For all of those like me and for anyone else who like pretty hair here’s the tutorial!

First you want to curls random pieces by wrapping them around a 1” curling Iron. I’m using this new Hot Shot Tools Extra LONG Barrel Gold Curling Iron. IT is PERFECT for long hair because you can curl the strand evenly wrapped all the way down instead of scrunching it up at the bottom because you ran out of rod! I’ve wondered for a long time why there weren’t longer wands and apparently Hot Shot Tools was reading my diary. BLESS THEM!

I go back and forth at what direction I am wrapping (some toward your face some away from your face) Leaving some pieces out so there’s a messiness to it.

step2 copy

Next spray the hair with a wax spray (I used Beyond The Zone Rock on Spray Wax) That will give it a lot of body, texture and grit

Following that I grab random pieces all over my head, some on top +  some underneath and braid them. Using DCNL Gummi Clear Elastics at the bottom or just braiding it to the very teensiest bottom and spraying a little hair spray to make it hold. Tousle the braids and pull them out a little bit so they aren’t all uniform.

I make sure not to braid the “bang” pieces around my face, instead I curl them away from my face – leaving the ends out a bit so it doesn’t look too curly.

To finish give it an all over shot of a soft hairspray like Ion Keratin Flex Finishing Spray for a soft hold and voila!

Hope you love this look!

PS I actually slept in this hair and I swear it was even cuter the second day!

September 9, 2015 at 4:35 am

I *dream* of doing braids!! And then I wake up and either go with the slight weird wavy hair that I went to bed with wet OR I throw my head upside down, twist into top not and cross my fingers my one clip I could find hold it in place

September 9, 2015 at 9:55 am

hahaha EXACTLY!

September 9, 2015 at 8:48 am

Since you changed your site (beautiful by the way) the ads on the left side cover half your writing when reading on an iPad.

September 9, 2015 at 9:56 am

Thank you so much for letting me know! We have the web guys working on it as we speak! So sorry! Ads are annoying enough as it is!

Jazzmin Cunningham
    September 9, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I really like this, boho is totally not my typically style but I feel like this isn’t too boho that I could throw it into my mix for a change. What I’m wondering is when you curl random pieces approx. how much was curled at the end? 30%? 80%?

September 9, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I am desperate for a product that will help hold curl. When I curl my hair it just falls out within a few hours. Do you know of anything that works?? I pin up my curls while they cool but I don’t have time, money or energy to try out all of the different products out there. Any product advice from anyone would be amazing!!!

Jami Morrell
      October 27, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Are you curling your hair clean or a day+ old? I would get a salt spray and a good hair spray. Also what are you using to curl your hair?

April Farwell Harper
    September 9, 2015 at 4:14 pm

What color dye do you use in your hair?

Leo Sigh
    September 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

This looks really cute. I like braids, but not the really tight kind. The way you have done it here is much more free and a lot more sexy. Love it. Will have to try it tomorrow and see if I look half as good 🙂

September 10, 2015 at 7:36 am

I would also love to know what color you use on your hair/ask for at the salon 🙂

September 10, 2015 at 9:20 am

What eye makeup are you wearing?? It’s gorgeous!!

September 10, 2015 at 11:42 am

Gorgeous! I love the colors and your makeup seriously looks flawless!!!

September 10, 2015 at 1:19 pm

LOVE this hair!! My hair has recently thinned a ton so I feel like I can never do braids… so I totally want to try this! 🙂

Also… WHERE IS YOUR SHIRT FROM?!?! Oh my… I LOVE IT!!! 🙂

September 10, 2015 at 3:43 pm

love love love your dark hair!

Friday Favorites: First Installment! | Save a Skillet
    October 2, 2015 at 6:07 am

[…] Do : Festival Hair.  I could never pull this off.  But, ugh… it is just so festive.  I know, cliché…. […]

Mar Pantoja
    October 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm

love love love, i love this kind of hairstyle. Can i ask What is your haircut?

Festival Hair - Baseballs & Beauty
    October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am

[…] looking at Maskcara’s Festival Hair Tutorial I knew I had to recreate it! So I went to a music festival (talked a little about it HERE) & […]

Teresa Brooke
    November 25, 2015 at 12:21 am

I love your style

Friday Favorites: First Installment! - Save a Skillet
    January 23, 2016 at 6:32 am

Khyama cuisine
    July 23, 2016 at 10:57 am

You have a goer go us hair, I’m following you from a while, tried many of your tutor’s, they’re so helpful, and I love every single post you make txs a lot for sharing