Tips & Tricks

A find & a fail: Younique & Teething

I’ve decided to start a new series in the spirit of sharing my experience with different products (some makeup some not) I’ll pick two: one that totally hit it out of the park and one that completely fell flat for me.

This week is a quite random edition (but maybe prepare yourself for random editions since I kinda think it might be like that often:)

Let’s start with the bad news and just get that out of the way.

Younique 3D Mascara. This is fail I’ve been sitting on for a while now, I get asked about it often. The reason I haven’t talked about it until now is because, while it was a total bummer for me I know lots of people totally love it. I have some theories as to why that is, so let me explain.
I tried it 100 different ways. I tried going light, heavy. One coat, two coats & three coats. I tried it with different mascaras. Each time my lashes looked more like squashed spider legs. (my brows are pretty sad in this photo as well:(

Two things to keep in mind though:
1. I am USED to the look of false lashes and lash extensions. That is just my personal taste. I have never really liked the way heavy mascara looks, while some people definitely do like that look. I have noticed it’s actually a popular look right now actually!
2. I have very short/sparse lashes and I’ve noticed most people that really love this product have pretty good lashes to begin with so the product has more area to build on without clumping up so much.
I really liked the idea of not needing falsies to get glam lashes and I’m stoked for all the gals who have had great results with it, I’m just not one of them.

On to the good news!

Another product I get asked about constantly is Billy’s Amber Bead Teething Necklace. (A necklace he wears made of amber beads that are supposed to be a natural anesthetic from teething pain)
Does that thing actually work?
Well the truth is I don’t know for sure that it removes his pain. He can’t talk and he does still seem to be bothered by teething with it on. What I do know for certain is it does help with the drooling associated with teething pain. Before we got the necklace he was drooling though every single shirt we put on him in a matter of minutes.
We put it on and like magic there was no more drool! I didn’t even believe it the first time I just thought he must be growing out of the drool faze…until we took the necklace off and he went right back to being a faucet.
It really makes a huge difference. Plus it looks really cute on him. I will say no matter what he’s wearing people CONSTANTLY assume he’s a girl but I’m not sure if the fact that he’s wearing a necklace is the cause of that or his crazy lashes:)

Hope you guys had a great labor day weekend!

September 8, 2015 at 10:38 am

Totally agree on the Younique! I also have short, light lashes; and although I have never done false lashes or extensions, the Younique just made my lashes clump together. I agree that the people who get amazing results had void lashes to begin with.

Kris and jack blog
    September 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

I was disappointed with younique too! I even tried the “new” formula hoping it would be better. O well!

September 8, 2015 at 11:01 am

I agree – Yonique Fiber Lashes has been a total fail for me and I’m surprised that people rave about it. It made my lashes look spidery, flaked all over, etc. I may just not like the whole concept of fiber lashes in general since I’ve had similar fails with Too Faced, Touch in Sol, Tarte, etc.

September 8, 2015 at 11:15 am

I have naturally thick lashes so I like how younique makes them longer and thicker, but what I don’t like is how spidery and clumpy they look. And I am so trying a teething necklace next time I have a teething baby 🙂

September 8, 2015 at 11:15 am

I had excellent results with Younique. I used to have super long, thick, full lashes naturally and I as I aged, they weren’t as awesome. A friend suggested Younique, I tried it and loved it. I don’t get spider lashes, nor does it flake. I also used the amber necklace on my youngest, and it made me a believer for sure!

September 8, 2015 at 11:59 am

So glad to hear your review about younique. My daughter has to use false eyelashes for ballet and a lot of the other moms were pimping it as so much better. Glad I didn’t waste my money on it now. Thanks!

September 8, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I don’t care for the Younique mascara either. I bought it to use on my clients who have spare or short, straight lashes but it was awful . And it’s SO expensive!

Laura @ S.S. HEART
    September 8, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Oh my goodness, I didn’t like Yonique either!! I have pretty long lashes but the fibres kept getting stuck in my annoying! Glad I’m not alone on this.

September 8, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Younique! I also use Latisse for longer fuller lashes…especially after taking off my lash extensions off. They did a number on my natural lashes and I was super sad. I have used both Younique formulas and have never had a problem. I get compliments on my lashes all the time – wish I could attach a pic for you all to see!

September 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Cara, I’ve been having a really tough time with your website lately. It takes forever to load and usually the last thing to load is the new top bar thing. I’m not a programmer so I don’t really know what you’re dealing with here, but it makes reading your blog kinda tough these days.

September 8, 2015 at 9:55 pm

I’m so sorry Anna! I really appreciate you letting me know! The company that helped me with my site update is still working out a few kinks (it’s taking a lot longer than I expected!) I’ll make sure to get it going seamlessly ASAP!

September 8, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I’m not a younique fan either. I have fairly good lashes so I don’t have a clumping issue. I wear contacts and those stupid fibers always get in my eyes and burn like the fire of 1,000 suns!!! I have other friends who wear contacts and love it though so maybe I’m just extra delicate. Idk. Either way when I need to splurge on some mascara I grab a tube of Lancôme hypnose drama. Holy Grail.

Jennifer Hoffman
    September 8, 2015 at 1:26 pm

What mascara do you recommend for those who want the look of fake lashes without the cost?

September 8, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I get great results with L’Oreal Million Lashes Excess and it is very affordable, too! It’s a red and gold tube.

September 8, 2015 at 9:53 pm

They’re real is the closest I’ve come on my lashes:)

September 8, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Thank you for another honest review!! Every time someone in my social media circle posts about Younique I wonder if they think their lashes look good, because they look like clumpy spider legs to me. 🙂

September 8, 2015 at 2:12 pm

You were brave to at least give Younique a try. I don’t get it…Even on people who say they LOVE it, I don’t like how it looks on them. I have a few friends on fb who swear by it and are constantly posting selfies raving about their lashes and trying to get me on board. I don’t have the heart to tell them I think their lashes look terrible so I just say that the makeup really bothered my contacts so I can’t wear it. Maybe that makes me a terrible person, but if they love it, who am I to rain on their parade. Whatever floats yer boat. ;P

September 8, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I was shocked to see the advertisements as well. Who wants spiders on their lashes. It shocked me. You should try fairydrops mascara. There are some fibers built in but not a ton and a great brush.
    So disappointed in younique

September 10, 2015 at 9:04 am

Where do you get Fairy Drops mascara from?? Thank you in advance!! 🙂 TIA

September 8, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I can’t wait for more of this series, random or not, I am sure it will be awesome!

September 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for the reviews! I just recommended the Amber necklace to my cousin for his daughter. Not being a Mother myself I couldn’t really speak on it, I just see them everywhere so it’s good to hear this, as I will be sharing your experience with them. Billy is absolutely handsome, such a beautiful baby boy! Give him my shugas 😉

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    September 8, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I’m disappointed that you’re featuring the amber teething necklace again. It’s a dangerous choking hazard and it doesn’t work. Even if it did work the pain would have to be so tremendous for the risk of the choking hazard to be worth it.

I’m usually a live and let live kind of mom but I was recently at a playgroup where one of these necklaces broke and the beads ended up in multiple kids’ mouths while the moms scrambled to pick them up.

September 8, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Wow that is awful! I didn’t realize this was the case as long as you didn’t let them sleep in it I thought it was A OK. Thanks for letting me know Liz. )I hope you and your little Henry are doing good BTW)

brittany a.
    September 8, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I didn’t like this mascara at all either. I thought I was the only one.

On a side, yet eye-related, note, who did you get to do your tear trough injections? I am looking for a good injector and your eyes look great.

September 9, 2015 at 9:01 am

I JUST got mine this week. Not very impressed with the outcome either AND it dries my eyes out!

September 9, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I agree that it totally helps with drooling!

September 10, 2015 at 1:57 am

Interesting look into risk/benefits of amber necklaces:
    That article links to an interesting one on whether teething pain is actually present:
    The more you know…

September 10, 2015 at 9:15 am

I know lots of mothers who love the amber teething necklace!! I know some people have good luck with the Younique mascara. I tried it & it flaked like crazy. Someone told me to be sure to end with the gel part of it to avoid that from happening. I’ll have to try that before I completely decide..

Miki Nyckel
    September 10, 2015 at 7:27 pm

I absolutely love Younique lashes. It is such an interesting dilemna, how different it is for everyone. But I love your theory 🙂 It totally makes sense! I agree it is probably because your lashes are sparse. I don’t get spidery lashes at all (provided I don’t go cray cray with the layers! I stick to 2 or 3 coats max) but I have full lashes, they just aren’t long and don’t hold a curl. Having said that, while I do love it and rave about it, I don’t really turn to Younique a lot, it’s just a lot of work. Which is silly because it’s not, but that extra few minutes is just too much most days lol.

September 10, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I don’t like Y. either. And it’s a MLM so I don’t like that. Who wants spider legs? I love Benefits new Roller Lash!

September 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I was disappointed in the Younique mascara too. So many people seem to love it but that’s typical for me. Something about my lashes makes them look spidery really easily so a lot of mascaras that others love just aren’t great on me. My oily skin also makes mascaras smudge easily on me. Covergirl Lashblast in the orange tube is my “old faithful”, Maybelline Falsies and Loreal Voluminous are pretty good too. I wasn’t super impressed with Benefit They’re Real either- another cult favorite. But then again Porefessional primer (who many people love) was nothing special to me either so maybe I am just weird!

September 13, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Billy is absolutely darling! With or without the amber necklace I am sure he gets tons of attention. He is such a beautiful child and has the sweetest expression on his face. Good job there Mom!

Karen Haskins
    September 13, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Billy is just absolutely a beautiful baby! He’ll be a heartbreaker when he is older. 🙂

Laura Mattson
    September 14, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Hi Cara! I was wondering if you have tried Lancôme’s eyelash primer? I just got a sample and I am in love. It doesn’t add a ton of buildup or make lashes clump but makes them look extra long and full with less mascara. It also doesn’t irritate my eyes or flake off during the day. I have tried it under drug store and high end mascara and it makes both look and feel amazing. It seems to make lashes look more like fake lashes, not creepy spider legs. I will admit I have long full lashes but it might be something that would work for you too!

September 15, 2015 at 4:47 am

Sorry, another thumbs down for the amber teething necklace. even if there was one piece of scientific evidence that the succinic acid was able to be absorbed through the skin and produce the magical effects claimed, it wouldn’t outway the potential danger that my precious baby could be strangled by the necklace or choke on or inhale a loose bead. I’d wipe up drool all day…

September 16, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I love Younique’s mascara WITHOUT the fibers, actually! It makes a nice regular mascara that doesn’t flake or rub off! The fiber step just isn’t my favorite, either. Although, I highly recommend their new eyeshadow palettes, o m g the #1 palette is AWESOME. And if you want a hot pink lip color that will last, try their lip stain in Skittish, it will stay on my lips for over 24 hours. It’s AWESOME.

September 29, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I’ve been tempted to try the Younique mascara, but I have some that I really like (by Tarte) but I’m wondering if you have tried the brow pencil/fibers?? If so I’d love to hear your review on them!! I use Brun on my brows (weird, huh) but the fiber stuff from Younique looks like it might be easier to apply and more natural looking.