Products

Tip Tuesday – A Diva believer.

OK it’s not terribly often that I feel the need to break for usual programming and vere into “Lady Talk”. Only when something is sort of life changing for me to the point that others NEED TO KNOW. So I will say this right off the bat:
The Diva Cup is amazing and you should try it.

diva_cup

For those of you who are A. My brothers, dad or one of the other handful of dudes that happened upon this blog or B. a woman who prefers not to discuss things of a monthly nature at the moment (or ever) I suggest you conclude this posts reading here. Thank you for stopping by today! I’ll have something awesomely non-TMI for you tomorrow! See you then!

For the rest of you, carry on…

The nitty gritty.

Back in the good old pre-baby days I used to have little teensy-3-day-low-flow-zero-side-effect periods (I didn’t even know how lucky I was!) but ever since I had my babes (and mostly I think) since I’ve been using the copper IUD (hormones of any kind do not agree with me) my periods are like montezumas revenge.
I’ve struggled with having to use the extra super huge mama tampons in order to avoid leaks. I can go through a whole box in a hot minute and they are so so uncomfortable.
I had heard about the Diva cup before but frankly it sounded weird and crazy. I wouldn’t have even considered it until Michelle Money started singing it’s praises. I was still side eyeing the idea until the recent return of Aunt Flow (I’ve been breastfeeding so it stayed away but as the frequency began to wane the period came back) After one round of that I said what the heck and ordered it on Amazon.
I have only used it for one cycle now but I can confidently say I WILL NEVER go back to tampons. Ever. For these reasons:

1. Oh my gosh! So comfortable! I don’t even know it’s there. Even on my heaviest day!
2. Way less waste! One cup is all you need for up to a year!
3. Only needs to be removed and rinsed every 12 hours.
4. You don’t have to use a bunch of different sizes through your cycle – 1 cup all period long!

#1 alone would be completely worth the switch for me.

So if you aren’t already a believer I suggest you check out the amazon reviews (and answers to any and all of the questions you could think of!) and decide for yourself if it’s worth trying out. (hint: it is!)

If you ARE already a believer I feel our sisterhood strong right now. You go girl:)

cara

90 Comments

RealigningRhodes
    September 1, 2015 at 4:32 am

yessssssss! I’ve totally used it for around 6 months and tell every woman I see! Which isn’t really necessary and some people would rather not know 🙂

Aya
    September 1, 2015 at 4:36 am

I’m so with you. LIFE CHANGING. I’m not being hyperbolic. Everyone needs to know about menstrual cups. Thank you for spreading the gospel.

Missy
    September 1, 2015 at 4:42 am

I am with you! I switched a few months ago and I am kicking myself for taking so long!

Annika
    September 1, 2015 at 4:45 am

What a pretty name you have for it, diva cup! Much better than what the swedes decided to name it, mens-kopp, as short for menstruation cup. So dull.

casiruns
    September 1, 2015 at 4:47 am

Yes!!! I love the Diva Cup!!! I use it even when I’m running – I’ve run 8 miles with no leaks. It doesn’t drop down while running…it’s just amazing.

Y Pragoz
      September 1, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I was wondering how it would do with workouts!!

Claire Strauss
    September 1, 2015 at 5:04 am

I’ve had the copper IUD for 3.5 years now and in the beginning my periods were awful! They lasted a good week, were incredibly heavy and I could go through a super tampon in under 2 hours, easily. Before having the IUD, I was a lucky menstruator (yes, I just made that up) with 3 days of light-medium flow and done. So this was very new to me! I think you are right, it’s mother nature’s way of getting back revenge on us light & lucky menstruators. I will say that they become less intense about month 6-9, so hang in there!! I still get the dreaded heavy days that require supers every now and then, but not every day… of every cycle. This cup sounds messy, especially in a public restroom. How in the world do you rinse and re-insert in a public restroom?! If they work, and don’t cause a bloody scene, then I wish I found out about these before rotations, they would have been a huge life-savor!

Ruthanne Khoury
      September 1, 2015 at 7:13 am

Hey Claire, you take it out every 12 hours, so you don’t have to empty it when you know you’re going to be at a public restroom — just plan ahead! But even if you are in a public restroom, i’ve found that it’s really easy to be discreet about it. it does require a trip out of the stall and back into the stall, but I say that’s a small price to pay and I haven’t really found it to be much of a problem anyway!

Karen
        September 1, 2015 at 7:43 am

It doesn’t need to be rinsed. Empty the cup, wipe with tp if you want (I don’t), reinsert, wipe yourself with tp or a flushable wipe, wipe the tips of the two fingers and thumb on tp or your flushable wipe and go on your merry way. Wash your hands on the way out.

I have to empty the thing usually twice during the day and once in the middle of the night in the first 36-48 hrs so I have 10 years worth of experience doing this in a public restroom.

Justine
          September 1, 2015 at 7:48 am

Karen is right. I only rinse it when a) I’m at home or in a private washroom, or b) when I’m done with it. If you’re in a public stall, I take it out, dump want I can in the toilet, wipe the rest of the stuff out, and reinsert. Open the stall with TP, and wash your hands well. That’s it. Unless you are HEAVY, you can usually wait till you get home to take it out. I’m on the pill, so my periods are fairly light and even during the heaviest day or night, I don’t need to take it out until I’m home.

I usually wear it over night, clean it out in the AM. Clean it out when I get home from work (could be 6 or 7 pm) and then do the whole thing over in the morning. Most women don’t realize that they don’t bleed buckets every cycle. It’s usually only an ounce or two, and maybe some discharge.

Beth
        September 1, 2015 at 10:08 am

OK good, I am glad you ladies are talking about this! I have been hearing the praises of this Diva cup, but the building I work in shares the bathroom with a restaurant next door so it’s basically a public venue! There was NO WAY I was going to be able to figure out how to be discreet with it so thanks for enlightening me!

alittlekiran
    September 1, 2015 at 5:04 am

I have a good feeling that this will come in handy in my future, so thank you for the information!

Kiran x

Lori Johnson
    September 1, 2015 at 5:07 am

Wow! As always your timing is amazing, Cara! I just bought one of these on Amazon last night! I’ve heard so many wonderful things about them (and all the actually really shocking things about tampons!) that I thought I’d give it a try! I’m amazed at how many 5 star reviews there are since many believers-for-life were once a little squeamish at first like many of us who have not tried it yet might be. That’s saying a LOT!! Thanks again for sharing!! Xo
    P.S. Might be worth saying that there are 2 sizes available ~ pre childbirth & post childbirth 😉

Angie
    September 1, 2015 at 6:17 am

Oh I’m excited to read this! I ordered it last week!! Thanks for the pep talk! 😉

Aleida
    September 1, 2015 at 6:18 am

Yes! It took me a while to figure out how to get it to sit right, but once you have your method, the cup changes EVERYTHING!

Justine
    September 1, 2015 at 6:31 am

I love your blog and never comment but just HAD to today.
    Readers may be a little squeamish but its easy to insert. The cup folds and is flexible.
    I am a Diva Cup worshipper. I don’t have difficult periods but I made the switch for a lot of reasons.
    1. It’s So. Much. Cheaper. It pays for itself in spades.
    2. No smell. Unfortunately this is a harsh reality of pads and tampons. Because the Diva Cup is air tight, there’s no chance of oxygen breeding bacteria.
    3. 12 hours. Like, LOVE.
    4. I almost forget I’m on my period unless I have other symptoms. It’s just so comfortable.
    5. I never have to remember to bring tampons with me. I just leave the Diva Cup in its little bag in my purse and I always have it. Easy, peasey.
    6. It creates little waste.

Becky
    September 1, 2015 at 6:51 am

I can’t pee with a cup inside so I can’t use it.

Justine
      September 1, 2015 at 7:08 am

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your comment but to clarify, you CAN pee with a diva cup inserted. You don’t pee from your vaginal opening.

Becky
        September 1, 2015 at 11:29 am

Yes I know, I’m not an idiot! Some people talk about it here. http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/660031.html

Marie
          September 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I looked at that LJ page and better understand what you are talking about.

If I’ve had to wait too long to pee and am really bursting it can be hard to let down because the muscles have been working so hard not to do that. It can be even harder with a cup in for me.

I’ve found if I use the cup to press on the cervix a bit that seems to exert enough pressure on the bladder to move things along. Same thing if I don’t feel like my bladder has fully emptied.

I’ve been following Katy Bowman’s pelvic floor program and have much less trouble with slow let down and not fully emptying the bladder than even a couple months ago.

Marie
      September 1, 2015 at 7:48 am

Stick your finger onto the stem to hold it if you need or take it out, empty and reinsert.

Really, though, if a menstrual cup comes out when you pee you have bigger pelvic floor issues you need to figure out.

Justine
        September 1, 2015 at 7:51 am

I guess I did misunderstand! I don’t think it can fall out because of its shape. Maybe you are using the wrong size? #2 is a little bigger for women who are over 30 or have had children, which I assume is due to pelvic issues. That might help.

Lexy
    September 1, 2015 at 6:53 am

Love this post! I have researched the Diva Cup before, I now have realatable, real life review to give me that final push. I have two kids as well and as I have gotten older, my periods are heavier. You are a mind reader, thank you for all you do.

Amy
      September 13, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I am with you Lexy…I’ve researched the diva cup many times before…I even HAD one once a long time ago! BUT, things have changed, and the whole not needing to fiddle with it for 12 hours is what sold me. I think my issues with it before were that I was fiddling with it too much (treating it like a tampon that you don’t want to leave in too long…) I am going to get one because I THOUGHT it was JUST ME, but the super tampons I need to use for that ONE day actually hurt my insides! I don’t know if they press on nerves or what, but I have a love/hate relationship with them! I think the cup is what I need. I spend most of my day at home, so I can certainly plan my outings so that I don’t even need to “fiddle” with stuff. I’m going over to Amazon NOW!! Thanks Kara and thank you to all you ladies for talking about this stuff so frankly and giving real-life, non-fluffy examples so Lexy and I can jump on the bandwagon!

Sarah
    September 1, 2015 at 6:54 am

I am sooo with you, Cara! I just finished my third cycle with the Diva Cup and it has totally changed my monthly experience. I love ❤ it!

Ruthanne Khoury
    September 1, 2015 at 7:07 am

ABSOLUTELY agree!! I cannot believe I didn’t know about these things before! I cannot even imagine why tampons are so popular when the diva cup is available. I’m mad because I’ve been missing out! ha! I’ve only used it once but yes — it is amazing.

Rachel
    September 1, 2015 at 7:07 am

Without getting too graphic my periods have always been intense. So much so that I couldn’t leave the house during my heaviest days because I was soaking through heavy duty tampons within two hours. A friend told me about the diva cup years ago and I haven’t looked back. It’s literally a life changer. I can actually have a life during my period and not worry about having a middle school is the back of my jeans a mess moment.

Ruthanne Khoury
    September 1, 2015 at 7:10 am

Also I was super surprised at how little blood is actually coming out…I was like…THATS IT??? hah all those messy times with tampons and pads, and diva cup gets it all — no mess. Sorry for the TMI but it really is life-changing.

Alex
    September 1, 2015 at 7:11 am

I purchased mine because I was going on a beach vacation last June and have never looked back!!! I recommend it to everyone: it’s way easier AND better for the environment. I know the company recommends replacing every year, but if you’re diligent about washing it, I’ve heard of ladies having theirs for 5! Mine’s just over a year now and still going strong.

Karen
      September 1, 2015 at 7:57 am

My current cup is at least five years old. Just rinse it well, it doesn’t need to be washed with soap or soaked in vinegar or sterilized.

Manufacturers tell you to wash it or boil it and to replace it once a year as a cya liability practice.

Lindsey
    September 1, 2015 at 7:12 am

So glad you found a product that you love! I also had issues with crazy heavy periods after my babies. Turned out it was an imbalance in the body and with some vitamins it was back to normal. Babies can deplete vitamins and change hormones and then if your breastfeeding as well that adds to it. Hope the Niagra Falls periods slow down for you, in the mean time Diva Cup it up! Xoxo

Tera
      September 2, 2015 at 8:35 am

Lindsey I am curious as to what vitamins you took? I am having the same issue after having my second child. I feel my hormones are out of control. Thanks!

Stephanie
    September 1, 2015 at 7:21 am

I just ordered one! I have leaking issues ALL THE TIME. I am hopeful that this makes my life so much easier:)

Elise Richard
    September 1, 2015 at 7:54 am

Okay, I am going to have to try! I have been on the fence and never actually tried it, but apparently I need to. haha. You have never let me down yet, so thanks for sharing the TMI. 🙂

–Elise

Carisa
    September 1, 2015 at 7:56 am

I was just researching these and then got your email!! Incredible timing! I’m going to try it, because I can go through a box of tampons each month.

dg
    September 1, 2015 at 8:00 am

Jen from Head to Toe does a fantastic vlog about menstrual cups, if anyone is interested. 🙂

Kat
    September 1, 2015 at 8:41 am

For anyone interested in getting a cup, do your research to find the best fit! Diva is the most available but all the others can be purchased online. They come in many shapes, sizes and firmnesses. Diva was too long for me personally so I use a yuuki. The menstrual cups LiveJournal has a wealth of information.

Maggie
      September 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

Some women may find that a more rigid rubber cup like the keeper works better than the softer sided silicone like diva or mooncup. Specifically, my keeper opens up more easily than my diva once it’s inserted. I usually have to spin the diva around to get it to open up fully but the keeper pops right open when I let go.

Carrie M
    September 1, 2015 at 9:01 am

OK, so I tried this about a year ago for 3 months worth of periods. No way. It was like a crime scene in my bathroom each month. TMI? Out. Back to tampons.

Collette
      September 2, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Carrie, maybe this is TMI but I had that problem at first too. i found that I was pulling the diva cup out at an angle, instead of straight down. Once I figured out how to pull it straight down, everything stayed in the cup and no more crime scene! Just a thought.

Heather
    September 1, 2015 at 9:27 am

Cara! Your timing is impeccable. I have been researching these diva cups or moon cups for a few weeks now. My husband is like, “You are turning into a hippie…it all started with those Birkenstocks you bought in June…” Ha! I ordered the Diva Cup from Amazon after reading your post. You pushed me off the fence to purchase. I am stoked! Thanks for posting TMI. You are the best.

Heather
    September 1, 2015 at 9:30 am

Also, I read that if you are over 38 and have not had a baby, you will want to go with the size 2 cup…simply because your hips hold the cup in place…and according to the pros at Diva Cup, our hips spread as we age (I know depressing, right??).

Maggie
      September 1, 2015 at 9:38 am

I’m 45 and have never been pregnant. I use the smaller one.

Meri Waldron
        September 1, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Hope for the future! Thanks 🙂

Saba @ sabaandthecity.blogspot.com
        September 1, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Hi Maggie! So interesting that you say this. I use the Mooncup (I think the equivalent of the Diva Cup here in England?) and they advise the larger size for women over 30 regardless of whether they’ve had kids. I struggled with my MoonCup for a few months (and part of me thought to use the smaller one) but I stuck with it and I’ll never go back to tampons (I HOPE!). Interesting to see that you use the smaller size.

aimee
    September 1, 2015 at 9:30 am

Thank you for this Cara. I’ve been debating for YEARS about this, being pre-menopause. I read a lot of the reviews on Amazon and they really helped too. I’m a little concerned about getting used to removing/putting it in…but doesn’t sound like many women have had issue with this. It’s so helpful knowing other women are out there with all the same problems!

alwaysneedher
    September 1, 2015 at 10:28 am

Yesss! I’ve been using mine for over a year now and I love it! I still get leaks (ugh, totally understand what a copper IUD can do to that time of the month), but barely, and the money and waste I save on tampons is absolutely amazing.

I, and my two best friends, are fully converted.

Tiana xx // alwaysneedher.com

Brenna
    September 1, 2015 at 10:29 am

YES! Please everyone pay attention to this blog post. I have been using the Diva Cup for 8 years now and I don’t understand why more people aren’t. I forget I have my period when I use it because I don’t have to worry about carrying anything around with me or changing it often. There is no risk of TSS. You can sleep with it (no more sleeping in diapers!), I actually only change it once every 24 hours when I take a shower (if you have a very heavy flow you might need to change it more). Yes it takes some getting used to putting it in and taking it out (but so did tampons when you first tried using them). And Cara actually there is an error in your article- you said you have to buy one every year. Actually they last TEN YEARS! Think of all the money you save on tampons/pads in 10 years!

Cailin
    September 1, 2015 at 10:37 am

YES! I have been using a Diva Cup for probably close to 10 years now and I will never go back. You actually don’t need to get a new one yearly either – just make sure to clean/disinfect your cup after each period and it will last for years. I’ve only purchased 2 of them – and that’s only because I lost my first one on a camping trip!

Danielle
    September 1, 2015 at 10:53 am

Michelle’s raves about it also got me to try it! I LOVE IT!!!! I’m a busy mom of 4 boys, my periods are super irregular and I suffer from cysts that can be painful when my period does show up…. I have always hated tampons, and felt like pads were all I could use :/ Diva cup is SERIOUSLY THE BEST!! I don’t waste time dealing with my period and it’s not even noticeable to have in. I honestly don’t think a lot of women even know about it! I’ve told at least 4 friends who hadn’t, and a couple who were nervous to try it! Best $25ish bucks I’ve ever spent! And I love knowing its Eco-friendly.

Derika
    September 1, 2015 at 11:01 am

I did a little research on menstrual cups and I decided to go with the MeLuna cup. I loved it because you can get it customized. You can choose what type of stem you want and you can choose the firmness of the cup. Menstrual cups are a godsend!

Jamie
    September 1, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I bought the Diva cup last year, but I’ve struggled to make it not leak. I loved it the few times I was able to make it work. Maybe I should give it another try.

Maggie
      September 1, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Yes, do give it another try. Make sure it opens fully and that it isn’t too high.

There’s no shame in wearing panty liners or thin pads with it for a few months until you get the hang of things.

Cara H
      September 2, 2015 at 7:49 pm

I’m in the same boat as you, Jamie. It’s been great when it works, but lately I’ve even more paranoid about leaks with my cup than I was with tampons. I think mine often doesn’t open up all the way, and I can never get it to ‘spin’ 360 degrees like you’re supposed to be able to. So many people seem to love it though, so I’ll try again!

Anna
    September 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Cara, this is so awesome of you to post! I have a blog where I talk about my ballroom dancing and was wondering if I should eventually write a post on this as well 🙂

Anyway, I don’t use DivaCup, but I do use one of its sisters haha, the Instead SoftCup (it’s available in my NYC drugstores). I made the switch after reading a bunch of TSS stories where the disease wasn’t caused by the lady leaving her tampon in too long, but in most of them, a part of the tampon broke off inside her and was absorbed into her bloodstream. That was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen!

I have been since I was in college and it really is amazing. After the bloating and etc. is gone, I forget I have my period because it’s so comfortable. Whoever says you can’t feel a tampon when it’s in is lying to themselves and you. But with cups, you don’t feel them at all. And it is airtight, so no smell. Also if you’re not home all day, you can bear down like you’re making a bowel movement and it dislodges the cup just enough to empty it. It replaces itself, though, when you relax.

The SoftCup also is supposed to be disposed of after 12 hours (which I guess is one of those weird rules that isn’t really necessary), but I usually rinse it with hot water and reuse the same one the entire cycle. The most I ever use is two or three. And because they last so long, you save yourself way more money on lady stuff!

Also the best thing about the SoftCup…you can have sex while it’s in! ;)))) (Possible TMI alert) Your partner probably will notice that you’re a little “shorter”, but it’s not a big deal 😛

Maggie
      September 2, 2015 at 12:09 am

Used these starting in the early 90s. The only place I knew to get a menstrual cup was mail order from the back of MS Magazine but I could get the Instead in the drugstore. Bought The Keeper when Amazon came along and now I see the Diva Cup available lots of places.

Like a dummy, I forgot a cup during a business trip last year. A trip to Walgreens for a box of Insteads solved my problem and yielded plenty of leftovers to stash in my overnight bag, travel toiletries bag, travel makeup bag and briefcase so I won’t have that problem again.

The fit is different, worn right under the cervix like a diaphragm (are those even available still?) and can be used during sex. That reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was hoarding a supply of Today’s Sponge when the got scarce and having to decide if a guy was “sponge-worthy.”

D
    September 1, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter…love your blog, Cara! 10 years ago when I was in college, my best friend (who went to an all-women university) told me some girls in her dorm used menstrual cups. I was totally grossed out by the idea and quickly put thoughts of strangers emptying their cups into the communal sinks out of my head. Fast forward to 2 years ago–I became more interested in environmental issues and the impact our waste has on the planet, did some research, and decided to give it a go. To say I love it is an understatement!Depending on your period, you really do only need to change it twice a day, so my previous impression that I’d be rinsing a cup out into a public bathroom sink was a completely unfounded fear. It’s so freeing to not have to worry about changing a tampon every couple hours (ie: beach, long flights) and (complete tmi) I’m no longer exclusive to black underwear during my period, if you catch my drift. I find that because I’m not dealing with cotton soaked anything, it makes the whole monthly experience a lot more palatable somehow. And no more emergency tampon runs, ever!

Erin B.
    September 1, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I am a Moon Cup user for about a year now and I did have a bit of a learning curve the first few cycles (I had just gotten my Mirena out and my cycles were trying to regulate) but after that it has been a breeze. I think using it has actually shortened my periods and lessened my cramping. I will never go back to pads or tampons.

Janna
    September 1, 2015 at 12:40 pm

You go girl, I am right there with you! I bought the Lunette cup last year (same thing, different brand) and I will never go back to Tampons. I’m glad you’re loving it and spreading the word!

Kristin
    September 1, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I recommend menstrual cups to every female I know. Love them. Spread the word.

Kiera
    September 1, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Yes yes YES! Super convenient and simple to use (once you figure it out). But the main selling point for me was that I wasn’t inserting chemicals (fragrance, bleached cotton, etc etc) every few hours for 7 days a week. Plus the huge cost break for someone who had to go through boxES of tampons every month.

martine
      September 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm

You’re right: once you figure it out. In the beginning I found it a bit hard to find out the best way to pull it out. But once you figured it out it’s easy.

martine
    September 1, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I am so with you on this one. I will never. ever. go back to tampons. A few more reasons to add to your list of reasons: You don’t have wet cotton in your vagina, with all the bacteria groing in it…(they can’t grow on sillicone) no chance of TSS… all the money you save… it feels better…
    And btw, you can use it longer than a year. You can use it till it’s broken, wich is…i don’t know, after years and years?

martine
    September 1, 2015 at 1:37 pm

And 1 more thing. I hope I don’t gross some people out… but I went swimming while on my period, with the menstrual cup, for a few times now, and you totally can. Because it’s ‘vacuum’, there is never a chance of 1 drop of blood leaking. I also went to the sauna with it one time, that’s totally fine too. FREEDOM, GIRLS! 😀

Jessica
    September 1, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Perfect timing on this post! I just finished my first period using one! I debated for over 3 years (yes THREE YEARS!) before I finally couldn’t take it anymore and had to try it. I’m definitely sticking with the cup. I also have that IUD and its been wonderful and awful. As soon as I stopped nursing I had horribly crampy and heavy periods. Its been 9 1/2 years and I still have the IUD and my periods are not quite so crampy but still just as heavy. Like going to ruin everything I own heavy… The cup really worked so much better than tampons. It was awkward at first but it didn’t take long to become comfortable using it. PS my friend that told me about the cup years ago uses it because she’s allergic to many things, such as the components of women’s hygiene products. She loves the cup because there is nothing to be allergic to! PPS I found mine at Harmon’s grocery store.in Utah.

Grace
    September 1, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Cara, thank you SO MUCH for this post. I think a lot of women look up to you and are influenced by you, and you supporting this produce makes people reconsider the ‘ick factor’ or try something new. I’m a big Diva Cup fan but find most of my female friends/relatives think they are ‘ too gross’. So so so impressed by this!

Stevie Nicole
    September 1, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been using it for 4 years now and will never go back to any other way! I absolutely love it! & ordering it once a year is so great and saves me so much money!

IsLA
    September 1, 2015 at 3:07 pm

omg! i love the Diva Cup, been using it for years and want to shout out to everyone how awesome it is. so glad you found it and spread the word!

Saba @ sabaandthecity.blogspot.com
    September 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm

thanks for talking about menstrual cups!! I heard about the MoonCup years ago and was so grossed out, I was like who would want that?? Then just over a year and a half ago I started reading about it again. I am on the implant and my periods are whacky – they are not super heavy anymore but can last 2-3 weeks. And I was having enough of guessing with tampon to use and when and also where to stock up from (tampons in the Middle East are not prominent). So I read about the MoonCup and every review was positive. A year and a half later and I am still raving about it. It did take me a few months to get used to it (unlike my friend who bought one at the same time) and I did have a few leaks. But I love it. Btw, MoonCups can last up to 10 years (I believe) and I never disinfect mine. I did for the first couple of months but the lovely ladies at MoonCup told me it’s not necessary. So now I just wash it really well and every few months I use a dedicated toothbrush to give it a good scrub with water only. I’m still trying to change the minds of other women! We need a revolution!! I feel so sorry for the MoonCup – it’s always at the bottom of the shelf in the pharmacies and ladies have no idea what it is.

To top it off, my hubby nick names it “MooneyCup” hahaha

Saba xxx

Jessica
    September 1, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I myself have just began using the cup. My first time was not quite as successful as I hoped but I will not give up. I did have quite a bit of leaking and not to be gross a clot fell out on the floor as soon as I placed it. Not sure what that was about. I do agree it is so much cleaner and I love that there is no waste. I am about to begin my cycle and will see how this one goes. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thank you for posting about this. I love your blog.

Nora
    September 1, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Don’t know anything about the cup but …. Ladies, don’t buy Mascara makeup, it’s CRAP.

Maggie
      September 2, 2015 at 12:13 am

Ah, aren’t you a ray of sunshine. Do you feel better now?

Emily Fox
      September 2, 2015 at 7:17 am

Nora, I know there is a learning curve when trying anything new. But I, along with countless other women, have had life-changing results from using Cara’s makeup. I encourage you to visit her tutorials and really tune in to her advice on application. Give it another go, and I’ll bet we’ll see you back here with a much kinder comment in the future.

Mags
    September 1, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Ive been going back and forth on this for a long time. I keep reading good things, but am not sure if it is for me.

Amanda June
    September 1, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Okay, probably the main thing that stuck out to me is that you found big tampons to be super uncomfortable. This is totally bizarre to me. I’ve always had a heavy flow the first couple days and I use the super-plus or now ultra ones they make and — never even having had children — I can’t even feel them once they are in (like any other tampon). If your flow is heavy enough and you are inserting them properly a tampon should never feel uncomfortable — you shouldn’t feel it at all once it’s in! I realize this is a moot point now since you have an alternate method you’re thrilled with, but I just don’t understand what was going on there!

The only cup I’ve tried is the Instead SoftCup, a disposable cup someone else mentioned. The main selling point is that I can have sex with my husband even during those heavy first few days…but honestly, I hate using it because I dread removing it. It’s a gross process, so I’ve never really felt compelled to look into a Diva or anything of the sort, even though I had a friend a couple years ago who also was over the moon about it.

Liz
      September 2, 2015 at 11:57 am

I’ve had the same trouble lately with tampons being very uncomfortable. I’ve used OB super plus and ultra for at least a decade, but lately they’ve felt awful. Also, my sister in law was taking progesterone for a few months and being close to her all the time really threw my period off track. She just went off the pills and my cycle is going back to how it used to be. Crazy pheromones! I just ordered the Diva Cup, so hopefully my next cycle is pain and hassle free. I’m really excited about not having to buy two boxes of tampons every single month! That’s $144+ per year!

mashy
    September 1, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I use instead soft cups and one of the best things about a cup is that you can completely eliminate that period smell!!!
    fresh vag without smell!!

Jacque
    September 1, 2015 at 10:23 pm

YES I love the diva cup! Best choice I ever made was to switch!

Miki Nyckel
    September 2, 2015 at 5:40 am

This is a great post, I’ve always been cup curious.Thanks for sharing a bit of a more private issue in a post, I appreciated that. Haha I laughed at ‘montezuma’s revenge’ hehe.

Sandra
    September 2, 2015 at 10:40 am

All of your comments are sooo informative and some are hilarious! Thank you! I’ve NEVER heard of the menstrual cup but I am intrigued. The one comment that made me hesitate purchasing is the comment about the bathroom looking like a crime scene (LOL) every time she removed it. I know it’s not rocket science but, is it a very slow pull-out process or is there more to it? Maybe you shouldn’t wait too long before removing(?) Just need a little more sway b/c I don’t want my bathroom (or anyone else’s for that matter) looking like a “crime scene”(?) EEEK!! Can you imagine?! >:-0

Maggie
      September 2, 2015 at 12:23 pm

It’s not fast, not slow, just break the suction and draw it out. You can tip it into the toilet immediately on removing it and then rinse in the sink instead of transporting a full cup to the sink. Try it initially on lighter flow days or try emptying in the shower until you get used to it.

The previous commenter’s tolerance for blood may be very low or she may be squeezing the bottom too hard and getting spillage or waiting too long to empty it.

On my heavy days if I have to wait longer than I really want to and the cup is very full to almost overflowing there can be a bit of smearing on the toilet rim or a drop of blood on the floor that needs to be wiped up. I suppose that could look like a crime scene to someone.

Tipping a full cup into a toilet can look scary and with a low-flow toilet can mean two flushes to rinse the porcelain if there is tissue as well as blood. If you tip it into a drain but just dump it over the edge of the sink instead of pouring into the drain or take it out in the shower and tip it out from up high instead of down low or stick it under the shower flow without emptying it will be messy.

sydeliza
    September 2, 2015 at 11:00 am

Oh my goodness gracious. The Diva Cup literally changed my life. It is incredible. Diva Cup for life. Get one get one get one. There is a learning curve, so I always recommend that people just stick it out the first few cycles-you will get the hang of it. I’m basically a Diva Cup evangelist. I have convinced so many people to come to the Diva Side.

Jenny Wallace
    September 2, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I love that Amazon asks if you’d like it gift wrapped

Allee
    September 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm

DIVA CUP FOREVER!!!

lburrell2013
    September 3, 2015 at 10:39 am

I almost didn’t even read this post because I thought there’s no way I’d be interested. Now after reading it, and all the comments, I’m intrigued… 😉

Tracy
    September 3, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Really? I wanna but I’m still super chicken. I’ve read every single comment on this post and I’m sooo with the OB Ultra strength (more absorb than any Super Plus) comment and black underwear. Literally will go through one an hour and what a hassle that is at work! Here’s the kicker: I had toxic shock syndrome when I was only 17 years old. Full blow, comatose and packed in ice with a 105°F fever for almost a week in the hospital. Other details you do not want to know about. I still wear tampons even after 32 years. I’m allergic to pad adhesives and plastics. So….I do believe you wonderful women have me convinced to order one. If it’s as effective as I’ve read, you’re all invited to my house for killer margaritas and pots de creme ( who doesn’t crave chocolate during that time ?? ). Thanks for the straight talk and sharing personal information.

Cojo Graab
    September 4, 2015 at 9:30 am

I NEED to try it! Ordering one right now!!!

Lena
    September 5, 2015 at 12:10 pm

i’ve been meaning to get one, now i am really convinced. thanks to everyone who’s contributed to the discussion here on the comments section, really helpful!

Gabriela
    September 7, 2015 at 1:09 am

Hi Cara! I just want to applaud you for speaking up about this topic! I feel that so much of the time, women are discouraged from openly discussing menstruation which is pretty absurd considering how much an impact it has on every woman’s daily life. Bringing this discussion to the open in an accessible way is such a great thing. This gives me hope that by the time I have a daughter, all this open and positive discussion will have changed the way we discuss menstruation so that it is a positive and informative discussion, not necessarily something shrouded in mystery or shame. Thanks for being part of that!

Rachel
    September 7, 2015 at 11:25 am

I am probably commenting a little too late to get a response, but how do you like the copper IUD?? Are the heavy periods worth it? I hate using hormonal birth control because it makes me moody and gain weight. But changing birth control is always scary!