Makeup Skin Tips & Tricks

6 Tips for buttery smoooth foundation

For years I was always on the lookout for the perfect foundation. One that would make my skin look as smooth as a babies bottom. And along the way I found some good foundations, yes,  But the biggest thing I realized is that the prep work is what makes the allllll difference.

My little sister Celeste was sweet enough to help me demonstrate. I swear, she just keeps getting prettier.

Over the years I’ve come to quite a few conclusions on the subject so it’s time I share.

#1 Microderm
I love using a PMD every few weeks. They make a huge difference in skin texture! I’ve tried them all and my fav for the price is RejuvadermMD Start with just a small portion of your skin when using one though, they are a serious and somewhat harsh tool and you wanna make sure your skin can handle it before you use it on your whole face!

#2 Fuzz removal
Peach fuzz is one of those things that varies quite a bit from person to person (like everything else I guess).  I have a fair amount and I don’t really mind mine but I TOTALLY love the way my skin feels and how smooth my makeup looks when I get rid of it. My VERY favorite blades to use are Tinkles. They are BY FAR the best. (I wasn’t using them in this photo because I tried another brand and was not impressed) MM&L made a pretty entertaining video teaching you how exactly to use them (here)

#3 Moisturize
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 1000 times MOISTURIZE! Every single time I do an event and get my hands on women’s faces by the 100’s I’m amazed by how many of them have dehydrated skin! (I’m also amazed by how beautiful and funny and down to earth they are:) That skin needs it’s TLC! I tend to use a handful of different creams to keep up with the change in seasons, hormones and moods but one of my all time favorites is my First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. Have you tried it? It’s luscious. And affordable.

#4 Prime Properly
Primers can seem like such an annoying extra step. Trust me, I don’t use one everyday. But on days when I want my makeup to look smooth and flawless and to last longer I really need to prime it nicely. What primer you need is all based on your skin and preferences I break down my picks in this post.

#5 Perfector
Anyone who has tried a one of these babies can attest to the fact that the foundation looks absolutely smooth and flawless once you use it. If you haven’t yet tried one I have them in my shop for only $13 so you have no more excuses!

#6 Color choice
It is AMAZING how uneven and heavy foundation can look when it’s not the right color. There’s been many times that I thought a whole formula was a bust because I got it in a shade too dark (Laura Mercier tinted moisture for instance, I turned up my nose to it the first time I tried it! I thought it was sooo heavy! Just the wrong color!)

Do you guys have any tips on making your foundation go on like butta?

Anna Bennion
    August 25, 2015 at 4:25 am

Your sister looks like Megan Fox!

August 25, 2015 at 11:02 pm

She’ll love reading that! 🙂

August 25, 2015 at 5:13 am

Great post! 🙂

Do you still use the cleansing tool in place of the clarisonic? I can’t remember it’s name but there was a post about the tool and new cleansing balm and how you fell in LOVE. I’d love to know if you’re still in love with it and if it’d be worth the investment:-)

August 25, 2015 at 11:03 pm

I do still love it! And use it, I have yet to charge it too! I will say that I have started rotating my oil cleansing balm with a regular face wash for the summer because my skin has been much less dry!

August 25, 2015 at 7:26 am

Removing the peach fuzz is huge! I’ve noticed such a difference in my makeup application since doing it!

Alyssa | Glitter and Grey

December 24, 2015 at 12:15 am

How noticeable is it on your face when it grows back?

August 25, 2015 at 8:03 am

Love!! What did you do on her eyes? They are amazing!!! I want that eye makeup every single day! 🙂 please share the details!! 🙂
    P.S. Just ordered the IIID pallet and am very impatiently waiting for it to come in the mail!! and got the perfecting sponge too! 🙂

August 25, 2015 at 11:05 pm

So excited for you to try it! I used my old trusty of doing the halo (going all around the eye at the lashes) with a bronzer and then black line smudged into the waterline as well. It takes like 30 seconds!

ashlee norton
    August 25, 2015 at 8:38 am

Love these tips! I just learned this one, but love it, I adine little drop of coconut oil to one or two pumps of foundation and it truly makes it go on like buttah!!
    Also, I have peach fuzz, and I trim it with sharp scissors, im so nervous to do anytgibg else in fear it will feel ike I’ve shaved or it will grow back crazy, is using the tinkle something j will have to keep doing once I start? What does the hair grow back like? Still super fine and light?

Kari Anne
      August 25, 2015 at 9:15 pm

It grows back the same 🙂 it’s an old wives tale that it grows back darker/thicker. I think Cara even has it in a post about beauty myths

Claire Strauss
      September 2, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I wondered the same thing the moment I read that! I have MAJOR peach fuzz, I swear some of these babies get an inch long and I’ll pluck ’em. At least they are white/light, not black! I’m so afraid of shaving it!

August 25, 2015 at 9:32 am

Holy cow, her eyes are so different in the after! So great 🙂 Also, I am about to look at the Tinkle Razor you linked, but … when you shave, the hair comes back thicker right? Won’t that eventually make your face have rough stubble like a guy? I’m going to look at the video (there’s no link here! But I’ll see if I can find one online!).

August 25, 2015 at 10:47 am

It will not come back thicker, you will however feel it when it comes back but it will not be thicker or blacker. I have been doing my whole face for 10+ years no problem and Tinkle razors do rock. You can find good ones at Sally’s too. Waxing was too harsh and broke me out. I will admit in the beginning my husband thought it strange, but then he started noticing all the facial hair on women and was like woah!
      Kind of funny!

August 25, 2015 at 10:48 am

Plus they do this in spas and charge $50 and up and call it dermaplaning!!

August 25, 2015 at 9:42 am

Clarisonic! Or some kind of daily exfoliation. Figuring out that my skin needs a LOT of exfoliation was a gamechanger (I know not everyone’s can take it, but if your skin gets clogged a lot, try it!). My makeup looks a million times better now, and a billion times better using the rest of Cara’s tips :).

August 25, 2015 at 10:15 am

Yes! Yes! Eye makeup details please!

August 25, 2015 at 11:53 am

This is great! I use an Enzyme cleanser which is a natural, deep pore cleanser that isn’t an irritating abrasive. It clears my pores and leaves my skin smooth and soft. I also use facial oil to moisturize, nothing else. I know, oil right? Your skin produces oil, it is meant to have it and works better than water based creams. I use a mix of argan, rose hip, and sea buckthorn and apply it with a few drops of water to absorb quickly. My foundation comes out dewy, not oily, and very smooth. Broccoli seed oil is great too as it resembles the feel and effect of dimethicone, but allows your skin to breath. Skin care is the best makeup!

Elizabeth S.
    August 25, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Hi Cara! Thanks for all the tips! I used to have the PMD but have now been using the Rodan + Fields Macro E for over a year. Have you ever tried it? It’s fantastic!

August 25, 2015 at 12:05 pm

MANY years ago, my MIL to,d me that she shaved her face…like Geishas do! And men!! I’ve been scaping off the peach fuzz for YEARS…look at your face in a mag mirror in bright light and you’ll be horrified. It SO doesn’t grow back thicker/darker! And the added bonus is exfoliation! I use that same type of ‘eyebrow groomer.’ (TJMAXX and/or Sally Beauty supply!)
    It’s become my mission in life to rid every face of peach fuzz!! (Kind of hard to broach the subject though.)

Leslie Barrett
    August 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Beautiful makeup! Please share details.

Kacey Simpson
    August 25, 2015 at 1:23 pm

What kind of camera do you use?? Your photos are amazing! And thank you for the tips. I have noticed that when I do a couple of the things you mentioned that I do see a better difference in the way that my foundation looks. But now I am even more inclined to get my skin situation together! Great post!

Ammie England
    August 25, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I love these tips. I started using a MacroExfoliator and an Amp MD needling tool last year and my face has never looked better. In fact, I was so happy with my results (smaller pores, noticeable difference in fine lines and wrinkles, smooth texture) that I ended up buying a virtual franchise from the company that manufactured them! They’ve made a huge difference in how my makeup goes on. Beware though, not all tools are created equally. Do your homework. 🙂

Sonia Siganporia
    August 25, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Hi Cara, I think you’ve updated your website and now the email subscriptions aren’t working!

August 25, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Your sister is gorgeous and I find these tips super helpful! I do have a question for you though. I have tried a variety of different moisturizes to help to keep my skin moisturized but they all seem to make me break out. It doesn’t matter if they are a thin or thick moisturizer, my skin still breaks out pretty bad. Do you have any tips for me because I hate the thought of drying out my skin 🙁

August 25, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Beautiful! I just use Derma E microdermabrasion scrub once a week. No need for fancy gadgets. The scrub makes my skin so smooth — I get tons of complements on my skin!

Question: I have dark, thick-ish hair and pale skin. Will those razors make the hair grow back all stubbly?

August 25, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Hi Cara–
    I lurrrrrve your HAC pack, but I’m confused–am I supposed to use it in addition to foundation? Or is it one or the other?

Diana in LAS
      August 28, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hi Julia. I’ve been using Cara’s products since she launched. You can use it alone or, for more coverage, use it to HAC over your existing foundation. Sometimes I just need a little something before I head out of the house on my days off so I don’t scare the general public (I’m in my 50’s). When I’m going to a gig (hubs is a professional singer in Vegas) and I want a more defined look, I start with foundation and HAC with IIID on top. Either way, you can’t go wrong!

Niamh xoxo (@beautybud3598)
    August 26, 2015 at 6:28 am

I also love using makeup sponges for foundation. Your sister should be a model, she is stunning <3

Niamh xoxo

August 26, 2015 at 7:33 am

I use a cream hair remover by Sally Hansen on my face. You put it on let it sit for 3 minutes and rub it off with a washcloth. Easy Peary and doesn’t hurt

August 26, 2015 at 9:42 am

Ok, serious question about the “peach fuzz removal”: do I do my ENTIRE face or just start at my cheeks and go down from there? I ask because I also have some fuzz on my temples, just above my eyebrows and I HATE it. Should I shave that as well or leave it to a professional when I finally can afford to have my brows shaped by someone who knows what they are doing?? (they are a MESS)

September 9, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I don’t know about Cara, but I pluck the stuff up near my eyes and only shave the peach fuzz from the cheeks down. And really, eyebrows aren’t hard unless you want really thin brows. Just pluck anything that’s clearly on your eyelid or clearly on your forehead/temple, and use the “less is more” philosophy on your tweezers.

Erica C
    August 26, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Moisturizing is SOO important for flawless foundation! I find it very helpful to let the moisture product “soak in” for a few minutes before applying makeup. Before even applying my foundation I apply an acne medication, vitamin C serum, moisturizer, and sometimes I spot-treat dry spots with argon oil. With all of that, it’s important to let each product soak in for a few minutes before I apply the next or my makeup will not go on evenly at all!

PS- just ordered both of your new double-ended brushes and I can’t wait to try them!

Brighter, Darling
    August 26, 2015 at 11:19 pm

How does it grow back and how often do you usually do it? I’ve been reading so much about this lately but nervous to try…

Steffanie @

September 9, 2015 at 1:30 pm

It grows back like anywhere else you’d shave, so it varies by person. Waxing is a better choice if you don’t want to commit to shaving frequently.

August 28, 2015 at 6:46 am

Love her look! Especially the lips. Could you tell me what you used? Thank you:-))

Liz Hayes
    August 28, 2015 at 10:20 am

These are amazing tips, thanks for sharing!

xo, Liz

August 28, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Lovely! I always find that a good primer can really change the way your foundation looks – it looks SO much better and feels so smooth!

Friday Favorites!
    August 28, 2015 at 3:00 pm

[…] Best Places to Pitch a Tent in the U.S. via Greatist 5 Ways to Stop Food Shaming via Fitful Focus 6 Tips for Buttery Smooth Foundation via Maskcara Cashew Chicken Quinoa Bake via Fit Foodie Finds – made this for dinner this […]

Iridescent Places
    August 28, 2015 at 4:46 pm

I know exactly what you mean with the beauty blenders. Somehow they just manage to blend in your makeup so beautifully – I hated that brush effect! Also it’s important not to cake it all on at once which I’ve only just learned…! Lovely post xo

August 30, 2015 at 9:27 am

This is a wonderful tutorial! I think getting perfect foundation coverage is one of the biggest things most of us struggle with. Thank you so much for sharing this.

August 31, 2015 at 9:35 am

What did you use on her face for make up/lips?

Jamie Buchanan (@helllotherelady)
    August 31, 2015 at 11:47 am

I never thought about the peach fuzz. You would think it would be a common thing we think about but it has yet to cross my mind until your post. I may need to give this a try.

Jamie // Hello There, Lady!

September 1, 2015 at 4:29 am

Hey, Cara! First, I have to ask: is everyone in your family such hot stuff? You’re both so pretty it’s almost rude. 😉 Second, I’m sure you know this but just in case someone is reading this and they’re as clueless as I was, I want to add another tip for flawless foundation: clean brushes! Any time I get lazy and use a brush that has quite a bit of makeup on it (don’t judge me!), my face enters STREAK CITY! You’d think that’s a commonly known thing, but it took me a while to catch on. Whoops!

Third (and last, I promise), I have a question about your skincare regimen. Do you do the PMD and Dermaplaning back to back, or on different nights? I know you also use the Cure exfoliator, so I’m trying to figure out when to do what. (And this is open to anyone that has suggestions – not just Cara – since I’m a little overwhelmed and want to make sure I have skin left over when I’m done!)

Thanks so much, and I LOVE your blog (and makeup)!

September 6, 2015 at 12:22 am

Hey Cara, I think you should do a video or blog post all about getting rid of peach fuzz. I know a lot of people, including me, are very interested but just scared to take that first step. Thanks!!

September 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm

*another* peach fuzz question. But I wax my upper lip and it has grown in thicker. So that makes me feel scurred. Really? No change in hair type? Because that would just be the worst.

6 Tips for Buttery Smooth Foundation
    September 18, 2015 at 6:51 am

[…] Get the Tips […]

Torie Horton
    October 21, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I’ve just stumbled upon your blog and I’m in love. (Had to get that out of the way.) I’m not a big make-up person but I like to look put together. I love my mascara and it’s usually accompanied by a little blush and some gloss or lipstick. I have pretty decent skin naturally but, of course, like everyone else, it can be uneven in areas (not to mention my eyebrows are on strike). I have struggled with finding a foundation for years, which is why I’ve pretty much given up on it. Most of them break my skin out. I recently went to the Bare Minerals store and got a sample and it immediately caused a bad reaction. I’ve tried translucent powder, but it just makes me look pale. 🙁 I would like something light that creates that pulled-together look but don’t even know where to begin.