Before & Afters HAC Makeup

Makeover Monday – Kat (Over 40 Series)

First things first, what do you think about the new site!!??
AND ESPECIALLY what do you think about the NEW LOGO!?
I’ve been so excited to show this to you guys. We’ve been working on it for ages!
I know some things will be a little wonky for a couple more days so please hang in there:)

OK on to the makeover:

Meet my right across the street neighbor Kat.
She is hilarious. She’s also so warm, beautiful, fun, talented (interior design miracle maker!), sweet mama and all around fantastic person. She said after the makeover she took her first ever successful selfie:)

I’m sharing the “Over 40” tips in this video so be sure to watch!

She is wearing:

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisture
IIID Foundation in Medium Dark ( sunlit + stone + dahlia + pearl)
30 Second HAC Brush
Makeup Forever Shadow in Amber
I Shadow Everything Brush
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
Taupe Brow Pencil on the lips
Buxom Gloss in Sweet Thang

Hope you had a great weekend!!

August 18, 2015 at 5:26 am

The ads are over the post on my ipad. Please fix it! I love your posts and that new brush looks fabulous!

August 18, 2015 at 5:35 am

I sooooo do not want to hurt your feelings b/c you seem like genuinely one of the nicest people ever so please know that I say this not to be mean but only to be helpful while you work out the kinks on your new site. The font for your typing is really small and hard to read on my screen. It could be my computer but it wasn’t like this before. No matter what, it will not stop me from visiting your site b/c I absolutely love it (and you)! 🙂

I just noticed the old posts scrolling across the bottom–love this!

Kallie (@blondeeambition)
      August 18, 2015 at 6:41 am

Love the logo! But yes I find the font too tiny as well even if I zoom in the computer screen.

August 18, 2015 at 10:06 am

Agreed, the font size is way too tiny.

August 19, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I have to agree with the above. I think its more that the font is too thin, which is what makes it really difficult to read. If you are set on the font, maybe try it in a bold to help it stand out. Also the light pink font is near impossible to see against the white or even lighter pink background.

Like Beth said above, no matter what, I will still come to your site for its content and for YOU!

Laura C
    August 18, 2015 at 5:36 am

I have to say that the color of the font is very light and rather small. It is difficult to read with “over 40” eyes!
    I appreciate the white background though. Patterned backgrounds make it difficult too. Is it designed for mobile viewing. I enjoy your makeovers and they seem very doable for rest of us wanna-be makeup experts.

August 18, 2015 at 5:54 am

Love the Kat’s makeover. On the website makeover-I still can’t zoom in anything to make it easier to read like I could before. Is that temporary or the way it is?

August 18, 2015 at 6:04 am

What did you use for her brows? I’m a blonde and it’s hard to find something for my brows that looks natural. Thanks! I agree with the ladies above the links and color of the font is difficult to see/read. Love the new look!

August 18, 2015 at 10:18 am

I need to know the brow makeup too! It’s perfect!

August 18, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Me too!!!!

Claire Hoffman
    August 18, 2015 at 6:14 am

Hello! I love your site and the new look! However, the font is very difficult to read. A little darker and slightly larger would be great!

August 18, 2015 at 6:18 am

The new site looks so cute! I have to agree that the font is a little squint inducing though…other than that everything is fabulous! 🙂

Michelle H
    August 18, 2015 at 6:41 am

I agree with the font being too small/light, but overall I like the new look.

August 18, 2015 at 7:02 am

I’m loving the new site! I think it’s great you put your past posts scrolling on the bottom! You did an awesome job with your neighbor- she looks gorgeous!

Mary Kate

Pretty Proof (@PrettyProof)
    August 18, 2015 at 7:10 am

The makeover is great! You really made her look more youthful and rested.

As for the site, I agree with the others that the font is too small and the pink is too light, making it difficult to read.

August 18, 2015 at 7:26 am

only swearwords come to mind….this is amazing….hope she feels as beautiful as she looks!!!

August 18, 2015 at 7:56 am

Killer makeover! The nose, the cheeks, the eyes! She looks lovely. As for the site changes, the font is too small and light and the words in pink are really faded. The logo design is good but needs to be more bold. The font really downplays the impact of the content.

August 18, 2015 at 8:05 am

I just purchased the foundation palette. I have super dark circles under my eyes. Should I first apply concealer and then the highlighter?

August 21, 2015 at 11:43 pm

I wish Cara would answer this question. I have really dark circles too so because of that I’ve been kinda sceptical about buying the pallet.

March 25, 2016 at 2:51 am

Did u get an answer? I want to know too.

Fair and with dark circles from birth.

August 18, 2015 at 8:07 am

I love your makeovers and this one is no exception. The new site is great. I do agree that the font is too light and too small. Go for larger and black.

Nicole K.
    August 18, 2015 at 8:26 am

The new font is teensy tiny! I had to increase the viewing image page 2 times just to be able to read the post.

August 18, 2015 at 8:27 am

Adding my two cents: the font is waaay too small. I have good eyesight and I can barely read it. The logo is awesome though. I’m also not a fan of the huge banner at the top with the scrolling posts, it takes up my whole screen and I have to scroll down for the newest post. The scroll at the bottom is awesome though.

August 19, 2015 at 10:33 am

I agree about the top banner…it annoys me that I have to scroll down to see your posts. I’m sorry, Cara!!!

August 20, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Ya actually, I kept visiting the site and thinking you hadn’t posted anything new because of the top banner. I finally figured it out and had missed 2 or 3 posts. But I caught up on them anyways 🙂

Karen J
    August 18, 2015 at 8:37 am

I agree about having difficulty reading it. The font is small and too light. Otherwise, love the design. Will remain a faithful follower (and customer) if all I can do is look at the pictures.

August 18, 2015 at 8:55 am

Congrats on the new site. I would LOVE (really) to see an unedited explanation of the HAC. It goes from looking blotchy to beautifully blended. I’m so nervous to try it and if you could just post a video that shows exactly how to do it, beginning to end, without skipping the blending parts, that would be awesome!

August 19, 2015 at 6:46 pm

totally agree with this!

August 18, 2015 at 9:01 am

Love the new site!! The font is a little small, but everything else is awesome!! 🙂

August 18, 2015 at 9:58 am

Could you maybe do a back to school day to night look please please please?? I love the over 40 collection, but can you do something for us 20 year olds? 🙂

Elizabeth S.
    August 18, 2015 at 10:19 am

Wow!! I actually did a double take. I love reading your makeover posts. I wish I lived near you to get a makeover! I read your posts through feedly, an RSS reader, so all the fonts are standardized and no ads. So no complaints from me!

August 18, 2015 at 10:33 am

I love the new site and she looks gorgeous! My only comment would be that the font is a bit too small 🙂

Simply Rachel Nicole

liz @ btb on etsy
    August 18, 2015 at 11:04 am

I need to know more about this new brush!!

Diana in LAS
    August 18, 2015 at 11:50 am

What a HOOT she is – love it! You look FABULOUS, DAHHHLLLING!! Seriously, though, she looks great. I need to hire you to do a makeover for me to represent the 50+ crowd. Do you ever get back to Vegas? Heading over to to buy the new brushes!

August 18, 2015 at 11:53 am

Your logo is lovely and suits you well! The font size is too small yes, and hard to read on your very light background.

August 18, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I can’t zoom in and that drives me crazy. I like the old maskcara logo better because it was more legible. This looks a little like scribble and sloppy handwriting. Sorry, I love the site though.e The font is small and the ads are really big.

August 18, 2015 at 12:51 pm

She looks gorgeous! Those blue eyes- so lovely. You can tell from this video that she a lot of fun!

August 18, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I find the logo really hard to read at first. I agree with the previous poster who said it looks like scribble. I loved the old logo. Same thoughts as everyone else on the font. But I know you will tweak and find your vision perfectly!

August 18, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I live for Monday Makeovers!! Love to watch you work your magic! QUESTION: what kind of tinted moisturizer do you use?

August 18, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Love you, Cara, so don’t be sad…but I like the old logo better. It was just more “you.” Otherwise, looking good here!

August 18, 2015 at 6:01 pm

As others have said, the font is really hard to read. Also, I find the huge banner across the top to be really annoying and distracting. It makes the site look cluttered. As far as the blog content goes, it’s fantastic as always!

August 18, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I love this look! I’m a 40+ gal who wants to up her professional appearance at the office and this look is definitely what im striving for.

I love the new site and don’t have any issues with the fonts or colors (I’m on an iPad if that helps).

August 18, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I love that you highlighted the things that were always beautiful about her and with minimal product! Sometimes what makes someone beautiful is the inner light that radiates out, especially those moments after a makeover, when they allow themselves to feel and see themselves as beautiful! She really glowed after she saw herself!

August 19, 2015 at 7:41 am

What color Laura Mercier foundation did you use? Thanks!

August 19, 2015 at 8:14 am

What a great makeover!! She looks amazing!!
    Annster’s Domain

August 19, 2015 at 9:21 am

oh, this font is SO MUCH BETTER! thank you!!

Meri Waldron
    August 19, 2015 at 10:33 am

This lady is so cute!

August 20, 2015 at 11:42 am

Hi! Will you be doing other makeup on your site as well like you used to? I’m sure your foundation is fantastic but I used to be able to come to your site and see your reviews and videos on a whole lot of different types of makeup! I miss that! Just wanting to know if I’ll be able to come back to your site at some point to see more of a variety of makeups.

August 22, 2015 at 8:45 am

Kat is gorgeous… and a total crack-up! What fun you two must have together!! Great make-over! I totally don’t mind longer videos. I like the details, like exactly how and where you lined her eyes.

August 23, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I don’t like having to scroll down to read the new post.

September 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm

The ads are over the words on my ipad also. I love your page but can’t read it…..

September 17, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Love you Cara. I’m on over 60! follower & love that you offer tutes for my crowd. Hard to find good makeup bloggers that pay attention to baby boomers-we like to look good too! You are so beautiful & a genius makeup artist.

Ter'e Crow Lindsay
    November 21, 2015 at 9:31 am

Margaret said it all. We Boomers still like to look pretty.
    As a CALI gal, living in FL……..what can we do to cover discolorations, i.e. Sun spots???

You “young thangs” made me laugh as I was reading the comments……….I wanted to sing “Welcome to my world……..”!!! At 67, I can’t see anything w/o my glasses. You can bet, I have done my fair share of squinting.

GREAT site…… the concept. Cannot wait to try. And, after seeing Kat…….Va Va VOOM!!!! She looks positively gorgeous!!!!! Took 15 years off her face. She looks natural and healthy!!!! Way to go Kat.

HOW TO REDISCOVER YOUR STYLE AFTER 50 - Pretastyler: Style Clinic
    March 25, 2016 at 12:35 am

[…] Click here for make-up videos. Also here. […]

May 24, 2016 at 3:14 pm

WOW! She looks like Jessica Capshaw in the after picture! (Arizona from Grey’s Anatomy.)