My Life

Agree to disagree. Sayings/quotes.

great_minds

What?
First of all I talk about people ALL THE TIME. It’s definitely my favorite subject. I talk about people that I love, funny things people do/say, cool things people do/say, I analyze why people do what they do, I wonder about the people I love – how they feel, what they are up to, what they need. I think most people talk about things they care about and the things they love the most. If that’s people I don’t think that means you have a small mind.
And can you imagine what a buzz kill the Great Minds would be if you tried to have a conversation with them?

“It was so funny yesterday me and Rachel were talking and….”

“I apologize it would seem that we are veering into small minded conversation, I think it would be prudent if we focused on some of my latest ideas.”

Talking about ideas? Most people will glaze over as if you were telling them your dream last night once you start peppering them with all of your good ideas mid conversation. Just my experience.

If I dig deep I guess I can understand it if the quote is referring to gossip but I think if that’s the case it should be specified. It shouldn’t just be assumed that if you are talking about people it must be negative.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I didn’t understand this saying until I was like 13. I would always think:

When you get a cake you have that cake. You look at it. It’s pretty and looks yummy.
You then eat said cake.

Sounds pretty standard. You have it — then you eat it.

It would make mountains more sense if the saying said:
You can’t eat your cake and have it too.

cake

The order matters. Once you eat your cake you can no longer have a cake to look at. You obviously have to pick one or the other. (But of course you always pick eat it. Especially if it’s confetti cake. Because, duh.)

never_go_to_bed_angry

Never go to bed angry.

I really believed this advice for a long time. I have it to blame for the longevity of many a nonsensical argument.
Until one day it occurred to me that when I did go to bed angry %90 of the time I woke up happy/not angry. Meaning  that the going to bed was actually THE CURE!
It’s like saying “Never eat when you’re angry.” Well what if you’re Hangry? You’re just gonna sit there hashing something out that isn’t even a something because your stomach is making you completely irrational and petty!  No. Not wise.

In fact if you get angry and start having words you might be wise to press pause on the brewing fight you’re creating to pound a taco and take a quick power nap just in case that fixes things.
It probably will.

So I’m really wanting to hear about the sayings/quotes that you are totally not on board with!?

cara

102 Comments

Roxy
    August 6, 2015 at 5:01 am

I’ve never liked the saying “Opposites attract”. Sure, when it comes to magnets, but not people! There must be SOME common thread between two people in order for a friendship or relationship to work!

abby
      August 6, 2015 at 10:20 am

I agree!

Britney
      August 6, 2015 at 10:30 am

I totally agree Roxy! That saying it totally not right. If EVERYTHING is the opposite then there is nothing that connects you!

August 6, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I’ve never thought of that one but I totally agree!

Emily
    August 6, 2015 at 5:19 am

“You get more flies with honey”. I don’t want flies. Flies are a nuisance. I value kindness in others and always try conduct myself in the same manner, but I just don’t like that saying. Maybe if it was you get more butterflies with honey, or unicorns with honey.

andi
      August 6, 2015 at 8:13 am

Lol. I like unicorns. Let’s agree on saying that!

andi
      August 6, 2015 at 8:31 am

I think that intelligent people should be able to have all conversations. It seems, though, that talking about people is like a treat. It’s fun, and indulgent. You have to put little thought into what comes out of your mouth. Ideas on the other hand really get you thinking. It is also intelligent to know what kind of conversations different people are drawn to, and to try to talk about things they are interested in. I have a family member who only talks about his own ideas and beliefs, and likes to argue because he is good with words. It is very hard being around him. Intelligent? Maybe. A good friend, definitely not.

August 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Very true! I totally hear what you’re saying!

Darcie
    August 6, 2015 at 5:29 am

“You Only Live Once.” No, you only DIE once. You get a new opportunity every single day to make a new start, do something new, to take a risk, to change your mind!

Paula
      August 6, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love this thought! :o)

susannequine
      August 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Fabulous perception. Darci, I’m adopting that one!

Harper
      August 7, 2015 at 9:03 am

Whoa…I had to read this a few times…absolutely resonates with me… thank you for sharing

Debbie
    August 6, 2015 at 6:06 am

Haha! Yes Cara!!! I SO agree on all of these! Also…I love your humour….and thank you for all the eyebrow help…I’d look scary without ya.

Hannah @HannahEverAfter
    August 6, 2015 at 6:07 am

I don’t have anything off the top of my head, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE your commentary and thanks for the laugh this morning! 🙂

August 6, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Thanks Hannah! Glad to have you:)

Cait
    August 6, 2015 at 6:16 am

“Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” I know what people mean when they say it, but how on Earth these words equate to that meaning I have no idea.

P.S. You’re too funny and cute!

Rachel
      August 6, 2015 at 6:40 am

I think I know the background for this one! Fun fact: You can tell a horse’s age by looking at their teeth, which is probably the origin of the saying. So basically if someone gives you a free horse, don’t be rude and check to see the value (i.e. old horses are not worth as much). 🙂

McCall G.
        August 6, 2015 at 11:17 am

I’m so glad you commented this…I’ve always wondered! ha!

Megan
    August 6, 2015 at 6:42 am

“pound a taco and take a quick power nap just in case that fixes things” is pretty much the philosophy of my life. LOL

taylorgia
      August 6, 2015 at 8:39 am

hahahahaha

Britney
      August 6, 2015 at 10:31 am

Hahahahahah SAME! Non nom nom

lehcar90
      August 11, 2015 at 8:08 am

totally!!

Breana
    August 6, 2015 at 6:42 am

Yes! I love everything about this post! I’ve always wondered why everyone said “you can’t have your cake and eat it too” because you certainly can! Some of these life quotes need to be re evaluated.

I also enjoy talking about people! If I have a nice story about someone or even sometimes if I have a not so nice story about someone, sometimes it gives me more perspective to talk about something negative that happened to me. And I don’t believe that I am small minded because I talk about my experiences.

I like what Darcie said about how it’s actually that you only die once! I think that gives life a much bigger and valuable perspective!

CBrooke
    August 6, 2015 at 7:02 am

“No good deed goes unpunished.” This is an awful quote to live by. All good deeds are good deeds and we should continue doing those that are in our capacity to do. Thank heaven for good deed doers!

August 6, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I have thought this before but you’re 100% right. I wish the saying didn’t exist so it wouldn’t ever pop in my head!

Jennifer
        August 10, 2015 at 12:55 pm

So maybe I’m off on this one, I thought about the “you can’t HAVE your cake and eat it too” saying. Ok is it possibly meaning you can’t “have” as in keep, save or treasure that cake and eat and enjoy it too?….
        Ultimately it’s not a well worded saying. Just a thought!

lehcar90
      August 11, 2015 at 8:09 am

i agree. when something goes wrong for my grandma, her first reaction/question is, “could i have been kinder?” even if somebody else did her wrong and she is at no fault, she always places kindness and compassion first. “no good deed goes unpunished” has always been a phrase loaded with bitterness. love that you posted your thoughts on this.

bonniebes
    August 6, 2015 at 7:06 am

I SO AGREE on the “never go to bed angry” one–even though a similar exhortation is in the Bible–and for the same reason you expressed: I cannot hold a grudge for anything, and so I’ve always found I wake up and nothing seems as bad as the night before. I feel so much better knowing I’m not the only one!

Alexis
    August 6, 2015 at 7:10 am

It took me a long while to understand what “love is blind” meant.

Janet
    August 6, 2015 at 7:13 am

The ideas part of the first quote doesn’t mean idea in the way of innovation or personal opinion. It means delving deep into things like love, philosophy, friendship, beliefs – all the conceptual things that define and drive humanity. So yeah, that takes greater mind power to discuss.

I use that quote with my middle school students all the time to show them how vapid gossip is and how fulfilling philosophy and literature can be. Seems to get the point across pretty simply.

Emmy
    August 6, 2015 at 7:36 am

I’m weary of anyone who repeats the “no regrets” mantra. I think regret is what helps us grow and learn from our mistakes.

Julie
      August 6, 2015 at 9:39 am

Thank you!! I completely agree! There are plenty of things I regret, and that regret has driven me to become a better, kinder person with, hopefully, more wisdom.

August 6, 2015 at 9:55 pm

AMEN SISTA! I have always said that! Really? you never did anything mean you regretted? It’s OK to feel bad about what you’ve done if it was bad! Then you won’t do it again!

Jean
    August 6, 2015 at 7:44 am

Ah, yes, the cake issue…one sees the cake, eats it, and then…wears it!!

Jamee
    August 6, 2015 at 7:54 am

Oh I agree with not agreeing to never go to bed angry. We learned this the first time husband and I stayed up until 3am trying to tirelessly hash so ethi g out! When in all actuality if we would have just gone to bed angry, we would have woke up with a fresh perspective forgiven each other and moved on!

Bethany
    August 6, 2015 at 7:55 am

Common saying here is I’ll be back in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. I have no real reason, I just really dislike that saying! I guess I don’t like picturing lamb butt every time I hear it!

August 6, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I feel like I might start using this…just to be a weirdo! 🙂

Shauna B
    August 6, 2015 at 8:01 am

I hate those motivational posters in schools that say, “Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you’ll land among the stars.” The stars are literally light years further than the moon. The moon is the closest thing to us so if you miss it you’re just floating in space.

Julie
      August 6, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hahaaa! You’re right! And….I just laughed out loud and spit out my coffee!

Britney
      August 6, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hahaha us Shauna!!! That is so true! I’ve never even thought of that!

August 6, 2015 at 9:54 pm

hahaha And in a school no less! They should know better!

Grace-Anne
    August 6, 2015 at 8:09 am

I always feel so uncomfortable when people bring out “the rule of thumb” comment. If they knew the origin of this rule, they certainly wouldn’t say it! -a man could beat his wife and children with a stick no thicker than his thumb! I’m going to stick with the three rules my husband has for our two boys… Never fight an orangutan, don’t let a spider near you ‘weiner’ and never pee on an electric fence!

August 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Oh dear. Yeah I’ll drop that one off my list for sure! Love your hubs advice, he knows the important stuff!

Cory
    August 6, 2015 at 8:27 am

I couldn’t agree with you more. There is basically nothing a taco and a power nap can’t cure!

Kady
    August 6, 2015 at 8:30 am

That 2nd to last paragraph may be the most sage piece of advice I’ve ever heard. Preach.

August 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm

you made my day with this:)

Britney
    August 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

The phrase I use when I am helping my cosmetology students with their clients haircut or color…
    “There’s more than one way to skin a cat”
    I have NO IDEA where it comes from and most the time they have never heard that saying before, but I still love using it though because it just sounds sooo bad Hahahahaha but it really does have a good meaning! Theres more than one way to do the same thing! As long as you end up from point a to point b it doesn’t matter which roads you take!

August 6, 2015 at 9:52 pm

hahaha yeah! I wonder where that even came from…I’m afraid to know! I’ve used it too though!

Brittany
    August 6, 2015 at 11:55 am

I’ve always hated “…you really lucked out on that deal..” which means you were really lucky. But doesnt it sound like you weren’t lucky?? Cant bring myself to use it and honestly get confused when others say it to me. Love this post and your humor 🙂

August 6, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Thank you! HA I’ve never thought of that before, you’re totally right!

susannequine
    August 6, 2015 at 12:51 pm

My most unfavorite is “It is what it is.” To me, that person is saying “this situation sucks, but there’s no way to make it better, and I’m not going to try!”
    For me, there is a solution for every problem; all you have to do is get up off your ass and use your brain!

marselaine
      August 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm

oh gosh yes, this one drives me bonkers! My husband was on a roll of using it way too often.

August 6, 2015 at 9:51 pm

ABSOLUTELY! UGH

Chelsea
      August 10, 2015 at 5:08 pm

I was going to say this one! I especially hate when someone at work says it…problem solving is a valuable trait in an employee. You’re hurting yourself and career living by this “it is what it is” philosophy. UGH.

Emily W
    August 6, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I can’t think of a saying I don’t like but I can think of something I really like: this post! Awesome and you are so wise! Love and agree with everything you said, which may make me unoriginal but whatever!

christina
    August 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Just wondering if you are still doing makeovers and if so what would be the best way to get in touch with you? (i live in saint george)….. thanks 🙂

August 6, 2015 at 9:51 pm

My business (and family) have grown to the point that I am not accepting makeover appointments at this time! So sorry. I hope that I can find more time in the near future to start up again!

allison
    August 6, 2015 at 3:15 pm

When I think of discussing “ideas”, things like philanthropy, justice, goal setting and change come to mind. There’s so much that people can discuss in regards to those ideas and it can spark an interesting conversation. I don’t think “ideas” in the quote above was meant to be like, “Hey guys! I just had this crazy idea!”

August 6, 2015 at 9:47 pm

I agree, I was kind of just poking fun! My point really is that it’s probably best to be well rounded and talk about all three of those things. It’s unfair to say discussing people is for the small minded in my mind:)

mkmcc1992
    August 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I love your comments on these! I totally agree, you definitely can’t eat your cake and have it to, but you can have your cake and then eat it!

Stephanie
    August 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I loved this post! I have two sayings I really don’t like the first one is when people say have a good one (have a good one what?) It sounds kinda personal to me if you know what I mean! And then I hate “it’s all good” it sounds so wishy washy and like the person is zoned out.

August 6, 2015 at 9:46 pm

haha yeah they both sound a little lazy:)

Britni Lewis
    August 6, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I just found your blog recently. I love your take on the quotes above. Especially ‘Don’t go to bed angry’. Recently I was at a Bachelorette party where we had to give advice to the bride-to be. Our advice was “GO to bed angry”, for the exact reasons above!

August 6, 2015 at 9:45 pm

hahaha I LOVE that! I had to read it out loud to my sister. Totally sounds wrong but it’s so right!

Tara
    August 6, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Re the cake saying:) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/magazine/20FOB-onlanguage-t.html?_r=0

August 6, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! So nice to know the background!

Melissa
    August 6, 2015 at 10:18 pm

I’ve always hated “too big for your britches,” just because it sounds cheesy. My dad used to say it. It’s a dumb way to way to say that someone thinks that they are more important then they are…. I also hate don’t go to bed angry. Whoever said that couldn’t have actually been married.

Cindy
    August 6, 2015 at 11:03 pm

This isn’t a saying, but when I was in elementary school math, I hated word problems that said things like, “You have 5 apples and Johnny wants 3. How many apples do you have left?” I always got those wrong because I would answer 5. Just because Johnny wants my apples doesn’t mean he gets them! What if I am making pie or something? I need all my dang apples! I know, I’m weird.

Angela
    August 6, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Yes! My husband and I definitely go to bed angry. And then in the morning we are fine. And well rested. 🙂

Angela
      August 6, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Oh and thanks for teaching me the meaning of that cake quote. And I’m almost 30

Erin
    August 7, 2015 at 3:19 am

Time heals all wounds. I don’t think this is true. It’s what you do with that time that helps or doesn’t help you heal.

Harper
    August 7, 2015 at 8:51 am

HANGRY? Just spit my coffee out! NICE…I am dead from laughter. I am loving the fire of this post… Happy Friday!

Valeriya M
    August 7, 2015 at 3:22 pm

In Russian we have this saying for the “never go to bed angry”, which basically states that tomorrow is a new day. To be more precise, night to the morning wiser.

Sheila
    August 7, 2015 at 5:37 pm

You know the saying, “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”? For the longest time (I mean like, up until 6 months ago), I thought it meant “don’t be stupid and do something stupid like throwing stones around in your glass house… Since it’s glass, you could very well shatter your home, then you’ll have no home”. Yeah….. No. Not what it means. I mean, I’ve used this expression tons of times in relation to stupidity. Oops 🙂

Marie
    August 7, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I know someone who can only talk about people and it makes me crazy. It’s usually people that I don’t know or things they do that i don’t care about. She definitely makes me think small-talk, small-minded. But if it were more idea-like, as in what chemical in their brain makes the neighbors leave that dead tree in the front yard, I’d be more interested. And I’m totally with you on the “pound a taco and take a power nap”. The idiots that told us not to go to bed angry at our wedding were the only reason we argued our first year (exaggeration).

Weekly Reads and Fun Finds {8/8} - Sweet Tooth Sweet Life
    August 8, 2015 at 4:00 am

[…] Agree to Disagree. Sayings/Quotes. via Masckara […]

Deepti
    August 8, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Love and agree with all of these! I hate “everything happens for a reason.” I think it’s just a way for somebody to dismiss other’s hardships! I believe that we can learn from everything that happens to us but sometimes there just isn’t a justified reason for WHY it happened.

xo, endlesspostcards.com

Kristi Beth
    August 9, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I totally agree with the not going to bed angry thing. When I’m having a disagreement with my husband, the longer we discuss it, the worse it gets, so having time to sleep on it really helps to diffuse it, and it’s funny too how I’ll forget what we were even upset about.

Kristi | Be Loverly

Rhiannon
    August 9, 2015 at 4:36 pm

“Bloom where you are planted.” My mother used to say this to me when I would tell her how much I hated the town we were living in. She said it so much and I thought it was a horrible and cruel thing to say given the circumstances. Especially because she kept saying it to try to discourage us fron moving to a better place. . Thought, “no, you take chances and you improve you life.”

Andrea
    August 9, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Your born alone and you die alone. I always think really? What weird ass birth experience did you have? I was born with my mother and multiple doctors and nurses and if I’m lucky I’ll go out the same way. And they always say you know what I mean. Yes the saying means no one will ever care about you but you. And I don’t the meaning is any more accurate than the saying!

Alex
    August 9, 2015 at 10:24 pm

“Boys will be boys.” This could be reversed for girls too, first of all, and second of all, why should we simply ignore rude/inappropriate behavior because they are supposedly filling a said role of being a boy? If you ignore the behavior and justify your ignorance by saying that a boy will be a boy, you are not necessarily teaching him to be a gentleman, but instead are telling him that his behaviors are okay by means of ignoring it. Not trying to be controversial, this is an opinion. ❤️

Miki Nyckel
    August 10, 2015 at 11:50 am

Haha I had no idea what the cake saying meant either! Now I do! 😀

Jenny
    August 10, 2015 at 7:52 pm

“God will not give you more than you can handle.”
    Our pastor just preached about this and how it can be interpreted as “even if it’s really really hard, you need to handle it” when in fact it’s okay to rely on God to handle it for you. So he re-phrased it and suggested, “God will not give you more than HE can handle.”
    I like that better. 🙂

Gean
    August 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

You are seriously my favorite blogger ever. Please keep the funny relevant content on the blog!!

Lily
    August 20, 2015 at 6:56 am

I don’t think many of us can claim to be a ‘great mind’ though, Cara. I’ve worked with and know a lot of physicists and most of them have staggeringly high IQs, and they are exactly the kind of people your meme there has been written about. Main topic of conversations at our social events tends to be theoretical ideas, philosophy, etc. (I hasten to add that I definitely fall afoul of being a ‘great mind’ too. I have perfected the nod and smile technique of socialising. ;))

What the meme up there is missing though, is that you don’t have to have a ‘great’ mind to be a great person. There are other qualities which are far more important to life than the ability to grasp intricate theoretical concepts, and to sit around discussing ideas rather than events or people at a dinner party. How to be happy, how to be at peace and feel joy, how to love someone and have them love you, how to be kind to others even in your darkest hours. Those are the greatest gifts of all. 🙂

Lily
      August 20, 2015 at 7:07 am

I meant to add at the end there, that I also fall far wide of being a great person. But I strive to be a better person!

After years of readership of this blog, I suspect you already have most of these qualities though, Cara. 🙂

Michel Andrade
    August 26, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Wow! I love everything in this post!

Miguel
    August 28, 2015 at 6:20 am

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to claim that I get
    in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing on your augment or
    even I success you get admission to consistently rapidly.

Aneeka
    September 8, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hi, Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. It really made me think and I hope I remember these, especially about rather taking a nap;)

Kimberly
    September 29, 2015 at 10:10 am

A little late for responding to this post, but I have never liked the saying “no regrets.” I think it’s OKAY to have regrets in life, it makes us human and we learn from our mistakes! I doubt there’s anyone on this planet that can’t think of one single regret they have in life. I mean, we’re all sinners, and everyone has had feelings of guilt at one point or another. I know someone already mentioned this saying above, but I totally agree!

motuandpatlugames.in
    February 19, 2017 at 3:15 pm

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

number clicker game
    February 24, 2017 at 11:11 am

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

hampton bay ceiling fan blades
    February 24, 2017 at 3:15 pm

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

penis enlargement
    March 1, 2017 at 8:54 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Find More Informations here: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

Skrota bilen
    March 4, 2017 at 8:18 am

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

hire an injury lawyer
    March 7, 2017 at 2:30 pm

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

women on women
    March 8, 2017 at 1:24 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

Dicito
    March 9, 2017 at 1:02 pm

[…] Read More: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

UK Chat Rooms
    March 18, 2017 at 7:03 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

a total noob
    March 29, 2017 at 12:38 am

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 31745 more Infos: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

economics tuition
    March 29, 2017 at 9:46 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More Infos here: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]

browse around this website
    March 29, 2017 at 11:31 am

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 89855 more Infos: maskcara.com/2015/08/06/agree-to-disagree-sayingsquotes/ […]