Brow School Makeup

Tip Tuesday: make those brows last longer

You know, there’s nothing I love to see more than half of my brow drooping off my face when I glance in the mirror mid day. It’s got crazy lady written all over it.
Something you naturally full brow’d people don’t have to worry about one little bit. (cause I’m pretty sure actual hair doesn’t go smudging all over your face on hot sweaty days…unless nair is involved somehow)

I’ve found that brow powder or eye shadow looks the most natural but really doesn’t last as long as I want.
Then there are things like Dip brow or other brow pomades last longer, yes, but they are REALLY tricky to apply and stick get a natural finish. It takes a loooong time and a very soft hand to get them just right and if you screw up it tends to get a little messy.

I think I finally found my solution!

The Brow Pen. Kat Von D Tattoo Brow (medium brown)

I’ve used them before, mostly just for touching up and adding hairs. I guess I just assumed that if I did my whole brow with it the turn-out would look…well…like brows drawn on with with a pen. That was until I was stuck last week on a trip without my beloved angled brush. When I was left without options I had to try using it to create my entire brow.

I just flicked hair strokes over and over again in my hair pattern until I had a brow (see instagram video). I was really surprised by how natural it looked and even more pleased by how long it lasted. ALL DAY. AT THE BEACH. WITH BILLY’S CHUBBY HANDS ALL OVER THEM! Sorry for shouting it just kind of blew my mind.

Here’s what it looks like one brow on – one brow off:

Totally hairy, right? And this color is one of those universal colors like brun works on everyone I’ve used it on so far!

Love you ladies,

Elise Richard
    August 5, 2015 at 6:35 am

This is awesome! I have been needing something that is long lasting too. It is like my child knows the exact wrong time to grab my face/eyebrows, and smudge them or just wear the color out. haha. Can’t wait to try! Thank you! 🙂

Darcy Saffar
    August 5, 2015 at 7:05 am

Looks amazing! I have fair skin and am a brunette but I have black eyebrows. Should I use this type of color even though my eyebrows are black?

August 5, 2015 at 7:08 am

Hey,new follower since today (feedly app suggestions) & this def looks like something I’m interested in. Your saying here to check out instagram vid but I can’t find it?

“I just flicked hair strokes over and over again in my hair pattern until I had a brow (see instagram video).”

Thanks for a great looking blog 🙂

August 5, 2015 at 7:53 am

Ahhhh I want to try this. I have to fill in the inner corners of my brows and sometimes the Brun won’t stay. Is there a link to the instagram video? I don’t ever it.

August 5, 2015 at 7:55 am

I don’t see* it. Ugh autocorrect.

August 5, 2015 at 2:46 pm

You have to go to the maskcara cosmetics Instagram account

August 5, 2015 at 8:17 am

Pens and pencils are so much better than powder! powder doesnt last and i dont think it looks natural. I used the Anastasia Bev Hills pencil but it costs way too much to only last for one month when you fill your brows in every single day. I now use the NYX micro brow pencil which is 1/3 the cost and EXACTLY the same as the Anastasia one! Way better than powder in my opinion. Your brow above looks much more natural than when you use powder. Gorgeous as always!

August 5, 2015 at 9:18 am

That’s amazing! I have a little one who does the same thing, so I may have to try this out. Thanks for the tip!

August 5, 2015 at 9:45 am

Hi! I’m curious how long you’ve been using this pen. I’ve seen several reviews that say it’s great, but runs out after a couple of weeks. Thanks!

August 5, 2015 at 11:58 am

Great post! I have been looking for an alternative to my eyebrow powder.

What nail polish are you wearing in this post? The color is gorgeous!

August 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Gorgeous! Your brows look amazing!

August 5, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I love doing my brows but I understand what you mean about the crazy smudgy look. I have fallen in love with Chanel’s brow pencils, perfect for my skin tone, and then I pop on some Mac or Marc Jacobs brow gel over top to keep them put and they last and last until I scrub them off. Thanks for sharing!

August 5, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Love love love this! Waterproof products and techniques can’t be beat.

Kendra L.
    August 5, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I use the angled brush with the brow powder but I actually put eyeshadow primer (urban decay)on the end part of my brows where there is the least amount of hair and the most filling in…. It really helps them stay!

August 5, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Cara, I love your blog. I really do. And I think you’re wonderful. However, I just went and looked at your makeup page to possibly place and order and whyyyy the pale, pale pink (?) font? I seriously can’t even read it unless I highlight it. Your blog has all the links in this color too. I have good eyesight. It is very frustrating when bloggers do this and it seems to be more and more common. Please consider changing the font color so people can read it. Please don’t take this personally because I think you’re truly gifted with what you do. I just don’t get the font thing.

August 6, 2015 at 8:54 am

I just wanted to chime in as a fellow brow-fanatic! I have an oily forehead so you would think something like the Anastasia Dipbrow would stay better than say, pencil or powder with regards to smuding. (I’ve tried them all – MAC (brun and pencil), Anastasia (dip brow and powder), Maybelline, eyeshadow, you name it, I have quite a haul of brow goodies!)

My absolute hands down holy grail product for the past 7 years is the Wet n Wild brow kit. It’s 100 times better than Anastasia, stays on (I only need to touch up the next day if I accidentally sleep with it on, oops), and doesn’t smudge. I rarely use the wax that comes with it. I try new things and that’s what I wind up going back to. I found my original kit on a whim at Wal-Mart and recently bought it at Target. For $5, it’s a total steal!

Amy Sanders
    August 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

You’re so pretty! Love your tips 🙂

Amy Sanders
    August 6, 2015 at 1:47 pm

You’re so pretty! Love your tips!

Jazzmin Cunningham
    August 7, 2015 at 11:18 am

I read your post yesterday and was excited to try this product out as I experience the exact same issue you’ve described. So I headed in to Sephora to try it out. The only challenge I found was getting the pen on my skin when brow hairs are in the area. The pen wouldn’t get down in there as well as the angled brush. Any tips on this? Also I’m curious to hear your response to Elizabeth’s question.

Best of the Beauty Blogs – August 7, 2015 |
    August 7, 2015 at 11:42 am

[…] be scurred! Cara at Maskcara shows you how to get a natural look using a brow […]

August 7, 2015 at 1:11 pm

As a strawberry blonde, I have blonde eyebrows, some people think I shave them :-O Yeah…No.
    I am afraid to go dark, dark, and why I don’t normally use a pencil is the fact you stated, “losing” your eyebrow during the day. I will try this! Thank you!

August 8, 2015 at 3:15 am

This looks brilliant and so natural!!

Jess xo

Sam Sands
    August 10, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I love Kat Von D’s products, especially her tattoo liner in Trooper! I have never tried this though! Is there anything out there comparable?

November 28, 2015 at 12:16 pm

pens are always the way to go, better than powder in my opininon they last longer but also depends on the pen though! have to try this, thanks for the review 🙂

December 23, 2015 at 5:45 am

I bought this pen and although I liked the look, it dried out super quickly! Even though I made sure to keep the cap on tight. Great product but not long lasting unfortunately.

January 22, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I got this for xmas and it only wore 6 times before running out. Mad.

March 20, 2016 at 11:06 pm

I had the same experience of it going dry until I realized – it only runs out if you don’t keep it stored vertically. I keep it with the tip down in its box. When I travel, I make sure that it stays vertical the whole time. Mine last practically forever this way. This brow pen has completely changed my life. Seriously. It’s the first thing I do everyday. Magical. Thank you, Cara!