Hair Hair Tutorials

5 Day Hair Recipe: Heat Free

While I TOTALLY love and use my 5 day hair recipe I posted a few weeks ago, I have a confession to make.
That one day when I had to spend the 15 minutes with hot tools at the beginning? Turned out to be a little too much to ask of me mid summer.

So I decided to make one that requires even less time and no heat (read: damage) on the old locks.

Is my hair stunningly gorgeous everyday in this recipe? No it’s not.
But it’s a heckofalot better than the droopy messy bun I could be wearing everyday for nearly the same time commitment. The week I used this I felt pretty/put together every day and I intend on putting it on repeat through July.

(all the deets on my air dry in case you missed it)

SO here ya go!

Triple Sec  & Head band

If you try it be sure to post your looks on social #maskcara5dayhair cause I wanna see how it looks on ya!

July 16, 2015 at 5:17 am

So cute! I try to stay away from heat unless it’s a special occasion. Can you link what brand volumizer you actually used on day 3? My hair doesn’t do well with wind blown, was hoping you can recommend something else. Thanks!

July 16, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Oh my gosh how did I forget that I didn’t actualy use the wind blown haha It’s Dry Bar Triple Sec I replaced it in the info:)

July 16, 2015 at 6:48 am

I would love to try this style out; but does anyone know if it would work for curly hair?

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    July 16, 2015 at 9:11 am

Ooh, I’m going to try the 5th day style today. My hair is too short for a single messy bun right now. (Lesson learned, do not let a a friend of a friend who just finished beauty school give you layers. I spent $50 getting it fixed and lost almost 5 inches in the process!)

July 16, 2015 at 9:25 am

What was the volumizer you used on Day 3 (not the windblown that it links to) that you liked the smell of? Also what serum did you use on day 3? Thanks so much! I adore your blog and love that you post real, everyday looks that anyone can wear.

July 16, 2015 at 9:34 am

Love this! I am all about using my dry shampoo, and braiding my hair different ways 🙂 Also YES to no heat! You’re amazing Cara!

July 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

Love the 5 day hair styles. So I had an idea. It may take a while but I think it would be really fun and REALLY worth it. Maybe if you could do a 5 day recipe with a flow chart so we can see some options. So day 1 would probably be 1 option. but day 2 would have 2 options for style. Day 3 would have 2 options from each of the prior. Day 4 more options but they could crossover from the day 3 options. And then day 5 still having a few options. I know for me if I do a braid it will be braid kinky the next day. So like after day 2 I’d have this random section of extra wave. So having some options would be great. So maybe in a month or 2 😉 It sounds a like it would be magazine worthy so if anyone can do it I am sure you could.

July 16, 2015 at 10:04 am

Where do you get headbands like that? So cute!

Sarah Netah Paxton
    July 16, 2015 at 10:13 am

I wash my hair about every 5 days in the summer as well! This is your most helpful and practical tutorial yet. I love these ideas! And you look gorgeous no matter what you do with your hair! Thanks for sharing with us!

Ashley H
    July 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I love this! Unfortunately, my hair falls into the super duper duper straight category mentioned at the beginning of the video. I hope there are more hair recipes in the future, I adore them!!!

July 18, 2015 at 12:32 am

Mine too. Booooo

July 16, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I love this so much! I have to wash my hair every other day so it isn’t gross and greasy… how can I train my hair to go longer amounts of time without being washed?

Sarah La Croix Kallberg
      July 17, 2015 at 8:32 am

It’s unfortunately one of those things where you kind of just have to live with it. It takes a little bit of time, but eventually, your scalp will get used to not being shampooed so often, and will slowly stop producing so much oil. Our bodies produce the oil because the skin is dry–once your scalp figures out that it’s not being dried out so often by shampoo, it will stop producing so much oil. Also, Cara uses Wen, which is super hydrating & sulfate free. I know that’s what she credits with being able to go so long between washings, as do I! The dry shampoo also really works, too!

July 16, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Cute! The reviews on the headband are so-so for it staying in place, any recommendations for a headband that stays??

My Two Cents
    July 16, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I can’t even go two days without my hair being a totally flat greaseball. Any tips for that other than dry shampoo? I find that works great for the morning but by the afternoon I’m greasy again. Five days without washing sounds amazing!!!

Weekly Wrap-up | plandolive
    July 17, 2015 at 7:24 am

[…] to look professional while saving time, the Five Day Hair Recipe may help. I think that the Five Day Hair Recipe Heat Free would be more appropriate for the weekend or vacation. Who doesn’t want to maximize the time […]

July 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

do you use any special shower cap on the days you’re not washing your hair? Everyone I’ve tried I get out of the shower and my hair is a frizzy mess underneath!

Sarah La Croix Kallberg
      July 17, 2015 at 8:32 am

I’ve found that if I throw it into a quick messy bun, then put on a headband, prior to capping up, that really helps.

July 17, 2015 at 10:04 am

I love your blog! Your posts always make me smile, you are adorable! 🙂

July 18, 2015 at 12:31 am

So cute. I want that head band! Oh and I laughed and laughed when you woke up the day after the braids .

Jessica Pierson
    July 18, 2015 at 9:27 am

SO GLAD you did a no heat one! I just will never be a person who curls my hair on a regular basis. I have too much and it’s a lot of work.

My only qualm with the 5 Day Hair deal is I workout a few days a week, so my hair can get PRETTY gross pretty quick, but I guess if I need to shower for the sweat I can wash my hair while I’m in there too…. just more work but whaddaya do? 🙂

July 21, 2015 at 5:19 pm

The day 5 hair was a revelation! I’ve done triple buns before, but the headband just seals the deal. Very lovely!

Weekend Links / / No Heat Masquerades - a short blonde - Thoughts on love, life and style
    July 24, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] / Five Day Hair — No Heat! I used to blow-dry and/or straighten my hair just about everyday. That routine has slowly changed. […]

July 31, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been mixing both “5 day hair recipes” and:
    1. Back to waves! I have to say I missed them (and being lazy is a plus, I have to say)
    2. The braid is so simple, different, and put together – love it!

Awesome! 🙂 Please… more!! 😀

August 4, 2015 at 5:38 pm

No heat hairstyles are great because you can look cute without the damage! I will definitely be trying some of these styles out. Thanks for sharing.

August 22, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Great video, thank you very much for adding it. Would love to try the style and hopefully I would be able to post it.

September 25, 2015 at 7:37 am

I have very thin, very fine hair with NO volume at all, would this work for someone like me?