Before & Afters Makeup

Monday Makeover: Kim 40th Birthday

When I asked for suggestions on my makeover posts the number one thing I heard was makeup on women over 40. So how fitting to start out with Kim who just had her 40th birthday! She looks absolutely beautiful! She was feeling like her usual routine needed some updating so update we did:)
I decided with each of the videos in my Over 40 series I would specifically focus on a couple of things that are key changes to keep in mind. Then the rest of the makeovers are just like I would do on anyone of any age. It’s all about making subtle but important adjustments.

kim

What I used:

IIID Foundation in Medium Tan: Sunlit + Stone + Dahlia + Pearl
Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
Brun MAC Shadow (on brows & on eyes at lash line)
Too Faced Milk Chocolate Bronzer (as eye shadow)
Urban Decay Liner in Rush
Sephora Collection Gloss in shiny Pin-up

Hope you’re having a great Monday!

cara

59 Comments

Meri Waldron
    July 13, 2015 at 4:31 am

She’s so pretty! Love this <3

Allison
    July 13, 2015 at 4:38 am

Love this look! The eyes are so much more soft, looks great 🙂
    Allison from Mercuteify

michelia
    July 13, 2015 at 5:21 am

This is so good! But the entire time you were working I kept thinking “oh, what is her nail color?” Haha

Mikaela
      July 14, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I love this makeover! Also have to offer a “me too!” Couldn’t stop admiring your nails and wondering what color they are.

Cara
        July 14, 2015 at 11:52 pm

haha oh thank you! I wish I knew the name of the color! It’s a gel!

Holly
    July 13, 2015 at 5:23 am

She looks like a completely different woman! The after is just so subtle and pretty. The eyes pop. Such a great updated version of the before.

Eileen
    July 13, 2015 at 6:02 am

What tinted moisturizer do you use?

Teri Keels
    July 13, 2015 at 7:14 am

What makeup brush are you using with the foundation? I love the larger end for highlight!

Melissa
      July 13, 2015 at 9:11 am

Yes, I second that question! What makeup brush is that?

LisaP
      July 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm

That’s Cara’s brush! I have it and LOVE it – the two brush sizes are awesome, and it’s so perfectly soft. Like a cloud! It was a but of a splurge for me, as a confirmed cheapskate – but I’m completely glad I got it with my IIID. See it on maskcaracosmetics.com.

Karen Haskins
        July 13, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Has Cara changed her brush? I have hers and it looks completely different than the one she is using in this video. Mine is longer and the small end is much smaller. It
        is also silver rather than white with white bristles and brown tips. The one she is using here has brown bristles with white tips. In fact, the one I have is the one she has listed for purchase at maskcaracosmetics.com.

Is it possible this is a different brush? Or maybe a 1st generation of the the one she now offers? Hopefully, Cara will chime in. While I love her brush, I would also love to have the one she is using in this video.

Karen Haskins
          July 13, 2015 at 5:12 pm

OK, in re-watching the video, she is using two different brushes At the beginning, she is using her own current brush. At about 2 minutes into the video, she transfers back and forth using her own brush and a different brush….I think that’s what was so confusing.

Cara, what is that second brush you are using, please? Thanks!!

• Cara
            July 14, 2015 at 11:54 pm

They are both my brush! This one I used for most of the video is *NEW* I haven’t released it yet but I’m super excited about it! Should be here in the beginning of August!

Misty
    July 13, 2015 at 7:23 am

Is that Bubble Bath on your nails ? Lol your nails are so pretty and Kim looks gorgeous! I’m turning 40 in a month
    Thanks for the tips!

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:54 pm

It’s a gel but I LOVE bubble bath and this was the closest thing I could find at the nail salon! haha

Theresa
    July 13, 2015 at 9:39 am

Beautiful!! I thought her ‘before’ photo was really pretty, but it’s always amazing what YOUR special touch can do…wow! So much more sophisticated and natural!! Great job as always, Cara!

p.s….please sign me up when you’re ready to do makeovers for ’50 & over’….I definitely need one! 🙂

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Thank you! You got it!

Mary Ann Lipstreuer
    July 13, 2015 at 9:50 am

Sorry, Cara, but I’m just not feeling this one. I actually think the model looks older in the after photo..I think it might be the placement of the blush, which looks like it’s not on the apple of her cheeks. Just my opinion as usually I LOVE every model’s after picture.

Rebecca L
      July 14, 2015 at 9:53 am

I agree! I think she looks much older in the after picture..

I usually love your work Cara, this just wasn’t my favorite.

Mary Ann Lipstreuer
        July 14, 2015 at 10:00 am

I’m glad someone agrees with me!

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:57 pm

I do agree that I should have done her blush up higher! It’s more highlighted in the photo though, if you look at the video it looks a little less pronounced I think:)

Rachel
    July 13, 2015 at 9:54 am

She looks so beautiful! I mean she is natural beautiful of course, but your brought out that beauty even more! You are seriously incredible!!!

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:58 pm

THank you so much!

Emily Fox
    July 13, 2015 at 10:23 am

Beautiful, Cara!!!

Crystal
    July 13, 2015 at 10:25 am

Yes, that brush! Details please!

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:56 pm

YAY soooo happy you guys are excited abou tit! It’s my newest development! I’ll be selling it in the next few weeks!!

nycgirl0417
    July 13, 2015 at 10:40 am

awesome video! one of the best yet!

Natalie W.
    July 13, 2015 at 11:14 am

She looks gorgeous before and after! But I feel like in the after her brows don’t look very natural…like drawn on. But the look is beautiful otherwise! Well done, Cara!

Katie
    July 13, 2015 at 11:21 am

what brush are you using in this video? it looks awesome!

Cara
      July 15, 2015 at 12:00 am

It’s my newest addition to my line! I’ll be releasing it in august!

Erin K
    July 13, 2015 at 11:36 am

What brand were the double ended brushes you used? Love the makeover and the tips!

Cara
      July 15, 2015 at 12:01 am

It’s my newest addition to my line! I’ll be releasing it in august!

Abby
    July 13, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Quit making stuff up. She doesn’t look 40, in either picture.

Leticia Justus
      July 25, 2015 at 9:06 am

I hope you are being sarcastic 🙂 I am turning 40 in a few months and look similar to this .

Linda
    July 13, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Like the other ladies I’d love to know which brush you are using here. Thanks!

Cara
      July 15, 2015 at 12:00 am

It’s my newest addition to my line! I’ll be releasing it in august!

Kacia
    July 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Dumb question – what other brush were you using?? Love this makeover!

Kristi Beth
    July 13, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Kim is beautiful! I love how your makeover makes her looks so fresh and her eyes really pop!
    Also, I hope I can look that good at 40!

Kristi | Be Loverly

Angela Bailey Coffman
    July 13, 2015 at 1:38 pm

The pictures were good, but the video really does her justice. Gorgeous!

Lauren @ She Tries It
    July 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm

She sparkles inside and out – love this makover! Gorgeous.

pamela murphy
    July 13, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I love this!! She is glowing! Absolutely Stunning!!

Kelsey
    July 13, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Hey, cara. Are you still taking volunteers for make over Monday? I sent a couple of emails, but never heard back. Thanks!

Cara
      July 14, 2015 at 11:59 pm

I am so sorry you haven’t heard back yet! I am but since I only do a few a month and I have thousands of emails it is taking quite a long time to get through them!

Kelsey
        July 15, 2015 at 10:27 am

Oh wow! I underestimated how busy you are. 🙂

Ritu
    July 13, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I love the transformation. It is truly amazing!
    Is there a chance you can incorporate different skin tones or ethnicities in the makeovers? eg an Asian Indian, Asian, Hispanic, etc. Thanks.

Cara
      July 15, 2015 at 12:01 am

absolutely! I actually have a beautiful Asian American woman I’ll be posting this monday, so watch out for that!

Boni
    July 13, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Wow is she pretty!! 🙂 Love the makeup love the hair!!

Danielle
    July 14, 2015 at 8:10 am

Gorgeous. Loved this.
    xo

Angie
    July 14, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Ooo, beautiful as always Cara! You do such a lovely job! I know you have so many comments to respond to, but would you pretty pretty please tell me the name of your fingernail polish? I’ve never found the perfect soft pink (and oh man, I’ve tried). I love yours!! Thanks!

kellysparklesshoes
    July 14, 2015 at 9:39 pm

It looks AMAZING, well done!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Katie Luntz Prettyman
    July 15, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Great job Cara – I’d love for you to do my make-up sometime too! I turned 47 this year! I just ordered your set from Evine and am excited to try it but I’m nervous about my color selection. Congrats on added a new brush to your line. Hugs, Katie

elevenof12
    July 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I wish you were in the Washington, D.C. region. I am turning 51 Friday, July 17th. While I feel absolutely fabulous, I could use your help in the make up department. I love your work and I absolutely love that you love it too! It shows. Blessings to you Cara!

Allison
    July 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Cara,
    I’m sure you’ve shared this before, but what brush are you using for her eyebrows?

Emily
    July 16, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Did you end up going in with the beauty blender to blend everything together or did you just use your new brush? I have your old one and I find if I apply it with the brush and try to blend it , it sits on top of the skin and each of my pores has a little “foundation dot” sitting on top

Johnna
    July 21, 2015 at 6:01 pm

As a woman over 40, 46 to be exact, thanks for the makeover. Picked up some new tips. However, I wear glasses everyday and would love to know how to put my makeup on. Would love to here some suggestions, videos, etc….Blessings

Leticia Justus
    July 25, 2015 at 9:03 am

Can you please tell me what tinted moisturizer you primed her face with ? thanks !
    I think she looks great ! I am turning 40 this December and appreciate your before and afters in this dept.. I ordered the IIID a few weeks ago and have had such glowing results and compliments . I really like that you allowed the mix and match combo with the IIID . Very happy with it ! I would like to use a tinted moisturizer for all over my face and highlight and contour with your IIID . So I hope you are able to answer this question 🙂 Thanks again !!!!

Debbie
    July 26, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I have recently purchased one of your palette’s but had a huge problem with the highlighter settling in the fine lines under my eyes.. it was pretty bad.. what can I do to prevent that from happening?

A Few Things I’m Loving Right Now | In Jackies Shoes
    October 21, 2015 at 10:41 pm

[…] hooked, well… I can’t make excuses for such behavior.  Meanwhile, I’ve watched this one more than […]

Leslie Wright
    January 23, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I would absolutely love to get a makeover done. I’ve recently felt like I can’t do my makeup very well and am approaching 42. This tutorial was helpful as she resembles me somewhat. I live in the Phoenix metro area (Chandler/Gilbert) and wondered if you could recommend somewhere or one for me to go to? I’m a real estate agent and my appearance has a lot to do with confidence and successfulness. Please Help! Everytime I try to follow a tutorial I end up looking stupid or the same as always. Lol. She looks beautiful and refreshed!!! Great job!!!