Tips & Tricks

Vita-drate yourself!

Let’s just get this out of the way from the get go – I’m no expert on health. I’m actually Terrible at being on any kind of a strict diet at all. So I hesitate to even post about it..but it occurs to me that maybe a lot of people are that way.
I mean, we all know that if all we eat is lean chicken breast and raw veggies and work out daily we are gonna be in pretty great shape, there’s no secret in that right? Most of us just can’t/won’t do that. All of the Food is just too delicious!
I feel like I’ve tried every diet known to man. I used to really obsess over my weight. I was constantly weighing out every morsel of food that went in my body and it ruled my thoughts. I was always trying to get a liiiiittle bit skinnier and never quite getting there. It was exhausting and  very self centered way to spend so much time and thought.

I did finally lose that 10 lbs I wanted to but not until I radically changed my focus/thoughts and adopted a much longer lasting, much more moderate, view on what I ate and how I wanted my body to look.
So I figure if these small changes help me stay more healthy and happy then they’re worth sharing.

For me the second I tell myself I can’t have something, that’s all I want. I’m like a 2 year old. Instead of having a list of foods I’m not allowed to eat I try to add in things I know I should have instead. Which ends up leaving lots less room for anything bad.

Staying hydrated and including vitamins is a huge part of this so I figure I’ll start with that, and share more tips if you guys are down to party with posts like this every now and again:) Let me know!

From top to bottom

1. Drink Packets.
I LOVE my flavor packets so dearly cause I get so bored with just water all the time. I usually use at least double the amount of water they call for so I can spread my sweetness farther.  Plus you can get them with added energy boosters as well if you like a little pickmeup in the a.m. (side note the True Lemon brand is by far my favorite because the other brands make me feel bloated…just a little FYI)

2. Suja Essential Organic Greens (I get a big jug at Costco)
Is this stuff the tastiest thing you’ll ever drink? No, probably not, unless you are super into that grassy tang. But it’s much more drinkable than many non-sugar loaded green drinks I’ve had. I mix a half a cup of this with a huge glass of water first thing in the morning and just gulp the whole thing down.
It makes a huge difference in the way I feel and it’s honestly a great way to start the day because I’m much less likely to crave junk afterwards.

3. Emergen-C
Like a drink packet but packed with vitamins! Here again, I drown these out with more water and sip them when I get bored and think I’m hungry but I know I’m not cause…I just ate an hour ago:) Plus I like to give these to Christian instead of punch or juice when I can get away with it!

4. S’well Bottle
I know I talked about this once before but it need to be addressed again because these babies are incredible. I’m much more likely to go for my H20 when I know it’s going to be cold and refreshing (keeps liquid cold for 24 hours! Even in scalding summer heat!). And I’m much more likely to carry it with me all of the time when it’s really cute and I like to look at it:)

5. Alive Women’s Gummy Vitamins
I hate swallowing pills. What I do not hate is eating gummies. So this is a no brainer.

6. Fruit tea
I always want treats at night. That is my achilles heel. So I have a bunch of different tricks for making me think I got something indulgent even when I didn’t (all the tricks in the world won’t keep me from my treats every night but these definitely help me cut down) Sipping on a yummy hot tea is a GOOD one! (I use a little stevia to sweeten it)

June 24, 2015 at 6:18 am

Love it! I love to trick myself too 😀 I’m not “naturally” a great eater. Ha. Meaning, if left to my tastebuds I’d eat fast food and bagels all the time, but wow, I feel so much better with good nutrition.
    I’m a “two squares of dark chocolate at night” kind of girl 😀

June 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm

two squares is totally good for you! right!?

June 24, 2015 at 6:30 am

I love the idea of adding extra water to the emergen-c and keeping with me all day! I’m pretty good about drinking my water-but with the heat and training for my first race, I’m not quite used to drinking MORE yet. I keep having the, “yeaaahh, I’m pretty sure I’m dehydrated…” thought. :/ This list will help tons!

June 24, 2015 at 7:39 am

so many good tips – I must have missed when you mentioned the S’well bottles before so I’m glad you did again – sounds like stocking stuffer material (and of course, I will have to stuff my own stocking..) I would love to see more posts like this, anyone who found methods that works for them is expert enough to share it 🙂

June 24, 2015 at 7:45 am

Love this. I would definitely love to see more posts like this one.

June 24, 2015 at 8:19 am

Thank you for this post. I will try the emergen c and the suja. I would really appreciate more posts like this. I have more than just 10 to lose and I have been struggling with it for far too long.

Josie Adams
    June 24, 2015 at 8:40 am

I bought 3swell bottles from this link and I only received 2 after a long period of time. I have tried contacting missy multiple times regarding the same, she does not respond and I have not received my 3rd bottle. I am very upset about this so please beware when ordering from the link.

June 24, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Oh no! I am so so sorry to hear that! I will contact Missy myself to see what I can do to help you!

Ashley Grissom
    June 24, 2015 at 9:20 am

I’m getting a s’well bottle, some suja greens, and ermergen-c! Thank you for the post, would definitely enjoy more like this!! xoxo

Liz Little
    June 24, 2015 at 9:28 am

These Greens are awesome! Berry flavored. So good even my kids ask for them!! Loaded with superfoods, probiotics and helps alkalize your bod!

June 24, 2015 at 9:37 am

I personally am not a big flavor packet person, Ive reduced my sugar intake and most packets taste syrupy to me, but I do love putting frozen fruit in my water- raspberry, strawberrys, lemons exc. My five year old daughter also loves this. I also make my own juices for breakfast. In a blender I put in two cups of green tea, a couple handfuls of spinach leafs ( I hate greens so this is a good way to get them in), green apple slices, a lemon wedge, and sometimes I add berrys. I don’t add ice or yogurt of any kind. It is so good. Seriously, you cannot taste the tea or the spinach. Also Arbonne makes a sports line now that has low sugar water inserts. A friend gave me some samples for free and they are yummy.

Kelli J
    June 24, 2015 at 9:40 am

Do you add sweetener to your True lemon? I have both the Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonade and they are both so bitter. I love anything lemon and when I make my own homemade lemonade its on the bitter side. I really want to like them, but those little packets are too bitter for me, and I have two full boxes!

June 24, 2015 at 11:25 pm

strange! I wonder if they are a different type? These ones are very sweet!

Kristi Beth
    June 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

I personally love just water, but my husband gets bored with it, so using flavouring for his water helps him a lot. I need to remember my vitamins though! I always forget..

Kristi | Be Loverly

June 24, 2015 at 11:56 am

New to your blog and LOVE IT! Just had my second child and these tips are just what I needed to see when diet seems too overwhelming.

June 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I never thought of it this way. Great ideas!!

June 24, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Most of those drink packets & squirty water flavorings are full of additives & chemicals that are NOT good for you. Stick to natural flavorings like lemon, lime, fresh mint, berries or whatever you like & you won’t be bloated at all! (Plus you won’t be ingesting things you can’t spell or even pronounce!)

June 24, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Was going to say the same thing! Crystal Light is the WORST. Don’t put these chemicals and artificial sweeteners in your body. Cucumber is a great water add-in!

June 24, 2015 at 11:23 pm

much better idea!!! I need to get some frozen fruit or cucumbers for that!

June 24, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I love the crystal light energy packets but I’m trying to cut back due to the aspartame they contain. The emergen-C packs I have used for my kids who play sports to keep them from getting dehydrated. Doterra oils are a great way to add some flavor to your water. My favorite right now is the grapefruit but any of the citrus oils are great, and from what I understand citrus helps balance the acidity in your body. Just remember if your using the oils to use a glass or steel container since the oils break down plastic.

June 24, 2015 at 11:24 pm

oooh I need to try oils for flavoring, I’ve never thought of that!

June 24, 2015 at 2:00 pm

That water bottle sounds amazing! I really need to do a better job of drinking in some of my vitamins and nutrients

June 24, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Please do more posts like this! They’re great!

June 24, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I have a sensitive stomach – is the Suja acidic at all? You think I could drink it on an empty stomach? Coffee and OJ on an empty stomach is a no go for me….

June 24, 2015 at 11:23 pm

It isn’t very acidic at all, more like apple juice with maybe a hint of lemon:)

June 24, 2015 at 8:10 pm

FYI, just be careful with loading up to often on the super doses of Vitamin C. It can be hard on the kidneys, especially for kids!

June 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Thanks so much! That’s good to know!

June 25, 2015 at 3:16 am

Nice Post, Thanks For Sharing.

June 25, 2015 at 11:50 am

This is helpful! Thank you! I am a fan of all the True Lemon products as well!

Melissa Kendell
    June 25, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I was thinking about how I want to be more healthy today. I’m 20lbs. more than I want to be, and every time I try to get healthy and “go without” yummy stuff my husband begs me to stop because I get really cranky pants when I deprive myself. So these little hints should help me a lot.
    Thanks! Would love more posts like this every so often. 🙂

June 26, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Love this post SO much! would love to see more!

Rosanna Nichole Hollis
    June 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I love this post! Definitely think you should do more like this one! I got great ideas from you on this one

August 17, 2015 at 8:56 am