Before & Afters Makeup

Kate at Small Things Bombshell Makeover

Clue #3!

Find this photo on our instagram feed and spot the discount code!

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 2.04.50 PM

Can I just tell you how much I love this woman?
I knew I loved her when I started following her blog ages ago but once I met her it was solidified in a major way. She is so sweet, down to earth and fun! Plus her blog is a wonderland of amazing hair tutorials (here is one of my favorite’s) for mid length hair. So there’s that.
She’s also well versed in the world of makeup. She posts tips and products and all that and the girl knows her stuff.

(Kate from The Small Things Blog)

Anyhoo, when I found out I was going to be in North Carolina I emailed her right away to see if we could do a collaboration. She had mentioned wanting to learn more about contouring and heaven knows I needed help in braiding so it was kind of a date made in the stars.

She put the PRETTIEST braid in my hair (check that out here) I wanted to do something totally different from what she was used to because that’s what makes a makeover fun, right?

We made a video of the process. Not so much a tutorial because we were too busy chatting, but I kind of explain my train of thought and why I chose the look I did.

(also let me apologies in advanced for my hair looking so scraggly. A trim is calling my name!

Without further adieu…..I give you Kate:

Isn’t she a babe!?

Photographs by Janae Godfrey

What I used:

Tomas Tanner on her face and decolletage

IIID Foundation (for coverage, color, complexion & contouring all in one) in Medium Dark {AKA stone + sunlit + pink grapefruit + pearl} Without the Tanner Kate would normally be a Light.

Mac Brun on the brows

Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer on the eyelids and lower lash line.

A little bit of Mocha from the Naturally pretty Palette in the crease.

Kat Von D Ink Liner on her top lash line

Esqido False Lashes in Lashlorette

Lip Liner NYX in Taupe

Gerard Cosmetics in Buttercup

A Bombshell Makeover by The Contour Queen - Beauty Tips Around The World | Beauty Tips Around The World
    June 22, 2015 at 4:22 am

[…] above is clearly the before photo. Click over to Cara’s blog to see the look she created. I’ve got one word for you: […]

Annette E
    June 22, 2015 at 4:43 am

Wow! This could be your best make over yet! You’re right… she’s a bombshell and you are extremely talented as a make up artist.

At some point, can you please do countouring on older woman with wrinkles. I feel like contouring & foundation make my wrinkles appear deeper. I need my face make up look as natural as possible.

Kristine D
    June 22, 2015 at 4:46 am

LOVE this makeover!! Did you use the black or the brown eyeliner?

June 22, 2015 at 4:59 am

Oh God she is unrecognizable! I love Kate and her blog and I am so used to seeing her in a particular way and for moment I couldn’t recognize her picture after you worked your magic Cara! brilliant job! 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I felt the same way. Totally unrecognizable! Great job. She looked beyond amazing!

Nicole Walker
    June 22, 2015 at 5:01 am

Kate looks amazing! I absolutely love her blog and I liked what you did to switch up her makeup in this makeover. Her eyes look stunning with those lashes!!

xoxo Nicole

June 22, 2015 at 5:17 am

Yes! I’ve followed Kate’s blog for a long time and when you mentioned her a while back I thought, “Wow…Cara should do Kate’s face!” Kate! Hope you keep this look…gorgeous, younger….awesome!

June 22, 2015 at 5:24 am

I’ve been following her blog and she is a natural beauty! But this makeover, wow! I’m not sure I would have recognized her. I ditto the comment above about makeovers for older women. You have an amazing talent!

June 22, 2015 at 5:30 am

Have loved both of you for a long time!!!! This is awesome …. She looks AMAZING.

June 22, 2015 at 5:38 am

Wow!! Can we just say “stunning”! I love this look on Kate, a nice change up for summer. I just love the way you did Kate’s eyes, beautiful. Just love, love, the result! Bravo!! Makes me want a makeover now!!

June 22, 2015 at 5:54 am

Oh wow! haha, it’s funny how a different style of makeup can make such a big difference—how fun!

June 22, 2015 at 6:06 am

Wow! I love those eyelashes on her. She is stunning!

June 22, 2015 at 6:09 am

I love the Small Things Blog! Kate looks awesome! What is that little leopard pad that you used at the end of the video? How have I not seen that before? 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 6:13 am

WOW! You two are my favorite bloggers, so this is so exciting to see you collaborating! Kate was beautiful before, but she looks like a total bombshell model now!! Awesome work!

June 22, 2015 at 6:17 am

Wow!!! I have been following Kate’s blog for a while and I feel like I know her. I also feel llike I know what she looks like. This makeover is amazing!! Kate is a natural beauty. She has that cute ‘girl next door’ look. After your makeover, she looks completely different!! She is a bombshell. This really shows how contouring and makeup can really transform someone. Cara, you are amazing at whet you do! Keep it up

June 22, 2015 at 6:30 am

Wow, Kate looks amazing!! Great job!

Jessica Horton
    June 22, 2015 at 6:40 am

OMG!!!!!!! I’ve been following Kate for years and always love her natural face… but DAUUUMMNN!! Total knockout! Hope Justin was as excited as her readers!

June 22, 2015 at 6:54 am

This is amazing! Best one yet! Love both you and Kate! Great job.

June 22, 2015 at 7:14 am

She looks like Heidi Klum! Gorg!

A Bombshell Makeover by The Contour Queen | The Beauty Mag
    June 22, 2015 at 7:16 am

New Hairmatick A Bombshell Makeover by The Contour Queen - New Hairmatick
    June 22, 2015 at 7:24 am

June 22, 2015 at 7:36 am

Wow that is seriously amazing!! Gorgeous! Bombshell is right. I’ve followed Kate’s blog for years and haven’t ever seen her “made up” like this before, what a fun look. Great collab! 🙂

Katherine @ Grass Stains
    June 22, 2015 at 7:41 am

WOW! I’ve read her blog for years but never would have recognized her here. That’s amazing!

Jessica Hansen
    June 22, 2015 at 7:44 am

Gorgeous!!!! Absolutely one of my Favorite makeovers you’ve done! Bonus that it was on one of my all time favorite bloggers! Def a winner! 😀

Nicole K.
    June 22, 2015 at 7:48 am

OMG complete change from what she normally does! Hottie! Great job switching it up!

Hailey Spencer
    June 22, 2015 at 7:52 am

WOW! She looks like a different person. Absolutely STUNNING.

Kimberly Jordan Reynolds
    June 22, 2015 at 8:07 am

I love this look on her. I have followed her blog for many years and this is so pretty. I love how it brings out her eyes. She is almost unrecognizable.

June 22, 2015 at 8:07 am

Oh my gosh! You did a great job. It doesn’t even really look like the same person (in a good way). Her natural look is great, but this is really fun for something different. Makes me wonder what you could do to my face 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 8:09 am

Shut up! She looks absolutely amazing!

June 22, 2015 at 8:11 am

You did not say what color on her cheeks…they are pinkish, so I know they aren’t from the bronzer. Could you tell me what you used? She and I are the same coloring. The only 2 bloggers I follow are you and Kate, so I thought it was pretty great that you two were together! Great Job!!

June 22, 2015 at 8:33 am

My two favorite bloggers together! Kate, you look fann-tastic! Same question as above, what is the leopard pad you used on her face?

June 22, 2015 at 8:34 am

Kate, you look amazing! I have been a long time follower of both of yalls blogs. When I saw yall teamed up, I was so excited! Cara, you out did yourself! Its so crazy how someone doing your makeup differently can make you look so different!

June 22, 2015 at 8:45 am

Woah! Kate looks so beautiful.

Nicole Phaler
    June 22, 2015 at 8:53 am

Holy wow!! Kate looks amazing! She is a bombshell for sure!!

June 22, 2015 at 8:58 am

Cara, you did an amazing job! I love that it’s such a departure from what she normally does for makeup but it still looks so natural and like herself. Amazing job!

June 22, 2015 at 9:17 am

Wow, you did amazing Cara, she is a babe!

June 22, 2015 at 9:25 am

she looks amazing. Beautiful to begin with! I think she looks like Heidi Klum.

June 22, 2015 at 9:31 am

My two favorite beautiful bloggers!

June 22, 2015 at 9:32 am

I’ve followed Kate for a long time too! She’s one of my favorite bloggers. I was blown away with this makeover! I hardly recognize her! Not to say she doesn’t look beautiful both ways. It’s just cool to see how different makeup techniques can changes things up! I’ve secretly wanted you to do her brows for ages. They look so nice and natural and make her pretty eyes stand out even more.

June 22, 2015 at 9:58 am

This is AHHHMAZING! I’ve followed Kate for quite some time and love her look! But WOW! Gorgeous. I’m also a new mom and feeling so blah with my makeup. I need you in Minneapolis! Ever thought about doing makeup tours? Heehee. But seriously, I’m your newest fan. Wow. I’m stunned. And envious, ha!

June 22, 2015 at 10:02 am

I also love Kate’s blog! I’ve been following her for a few years and always have lived her hair styles and makeup tutorials. All I can say is your skills are insane! She doesn’t even look like the same person! She looks so gorgeous!! Great job. If your ever in New York Id love a makeover lol!!!

June 22, 2015 at 10:20 am

Holy crap! I’ve followed Kate forever, and this is THE BEST she has ever looked to me. Like, holy cow. Well done, lady!

June 22, 2015 at 10:21 am

Love the eyes! They really stand out!

Mia @ MakeMeUpMia
    June 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

So gorgeous!! Kate you look stunning <3

Kristi Beth
    June 22, 2015 at 10:56 am

I love Kate too! She seems like the sweetest, down-to-earth person.
    The makeover is gorgeous! I love it! I like that you chose to do something completely different from her normal look.

Kristi | Be Loverly

June 22, 2015 at 11:11 am

I’ve seen her on Pinterest. The makeover is gorgeous! I love seeing a more dramatic look.

June 22, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! She is stunning to begin with, but those eyes! And the pink is such a beautiful color on her. Did you say color and make on the lip color and I just missed it?

Sissi Nuthman
    June 22, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Hopping over from Kate´s blog- and wow Cara: you did amazing. Kate looks like a super model! I wish you could do my makeup as well!

June 22, 2015 at 12:43 pm

What the what?!?!?! Holy WOW! I am speechless. She’s always beautiful, but WHOA. Absolutely gorgeous!

June 22, 2015 at 12:46 pm

What! She doesn’t even look like the same person. You are so talented with makeup. Can I be your next makeover 🙂

Betsy diFrancesca
    June 22, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I agree with what everyone says! Just gorgeous!

pamela murphy
    June 22, 2015 at 1:31 pm

STUNNING!! I follow Kate’s blog & just love her… you hit it out of the park with this… just gorgeous!!

June 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Wow she is stunning! I’m heading over to check her blog now 🙂

Ellen Denkers
    June 22, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I follow her blog to, and must say that your make-over is stunning 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Simply stunning makeover! Looks fresh & natural. Best one yet! Great job Cara!

Sarah Olson
    June 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Big fan of Kate’s blog as well, she looks so so so cute like this! I bet you all had a blast!

June 22, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Oh my gosh! She looks aMaZIng! I follow both of your blogs & both of you are beautiful & extremely talented. I am speechless, really. She looks like a sexy mommy. (PS. I totally wish you would come to NC. I would absolutely love for you to do my make up).

sharon /
    June 22, 2015 at 6:08 pm

hit it out of the park, and i’m going to copy it! lol

June 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I am totally speechless! She looks gorgeous!!! Cara you are simply amazing.

June 22, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Oh my goodness, absolutely stunning! Cara you are a master!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

June 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm

This is unreal! Holy Gorg!! Holy talent! So stunning!

June 22, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Oh my goodness! I love Kate! She looks incredible! It doesn’t even look like her but in a good way! This is amazing, Cara. I just wrote a post about my favorite bloggers and you were on the list, Cara. I would love it if you checked it out! I love what you do!

June 22, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Wow Kara beautiful job on the make over. I’m very impressed.

Pru Yeo
    June 23, 2015 at 3:17 am

Love how the eye makeup enhance the beauty of her blue eyes and the overall look is so natural! Beautiful make-over!

June 23, 2015 at 4:27 am

Finally! Kate has brows! I have always thought she just needs a bit more brow. Not a huge powerbrow but just more brow than she has right now…great job

June 23, 2015 at 5:48 am

kah-ray-zeeeeee She doesn’t even look like herself after the makeover! crazy how makeup can do such a transformation!
    Allison from Mercuteify

June 23, 2015 at 7:06 am

She looks like Hillary Duff! Beautiful.

Katie Ball
      June 23, 2015 at 7:15 am

I was wondering if anyone else thought that!

June 23, 2015 at 8:53 am

That is an amazing makeover! Her eyebrows look amazing, too (one thing I’m currently working on) I would love to have you get your hands on my face (lol, is that weird?) 😉

Jamie Buchanan (@helllotherelady)
    June 23, 2015 at 8:58 am

She always looks so pretty but she is a bombshell with this makeover!
    Jamie // Hello There, Lady!

Traci Gayle Weaver
    June 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

LOVE!! I’d love to see you do this or tell me any differences you’d make for a pale strawberry blonde like myself!

June 23, 2015 at 11:02 am

OMG I love it! Kate is the one who introduced me to your blog! The only two I follow regularly!

June 23, 2015 at 11:40 am

I happen to have bigger eyelids – I always call them “disney-huge” because my eyes/eyelids remind me of the disney princesses. I always thought of this as a bad thing because it means that when I wear eye shadow it always looks like too much, especially for a daytime look. Do you have a previous video/blog write up where you explain how to enhance eyes when you have big eyelids and aren’t going for a super dramatic look?

June 23, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Ha! My two favorite blogs have combined! Great job on Kate – she looks amazing!

June 23, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I think Kate looks like Faith Ford!

June 23, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Wow! Stunning! Cara- can you explain the benefits of a self-tanner verses just going a little darker with foundation? She looks amazing and her eyes are totally popping with those lashes!

June 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Wowzah! Cara, if you’re ever anywhere near Fresno, CA can you PLEASE let me know…I want you to show me how to do this!!! This is probably the only look I’m going to be doing until I get it right. And if you think you want to go ahead and do a full tutorial (Tomas and all), I would second that thought! I LOVE how she looks sun kissed, I’m want that look so bad!…And on a side note, no only do I want to look like I’ve been at the beach, I want to smell like it too… any suggestions?

June 23, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Those filled in eyebrows make all the difference!

June 23, 2015 at 10:16 pm

She looks fabulous! You did an amazing job. It’s crazy how much better she looks when she has eyebrows!

June 23, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Kate looks absolutely to-die for!!!! And I want this for my everyday look!!! Can you do a more thorough step by step of this look please!!!! Love, love, love it!!!

June 24, 2015 at 3:15 am

My two favourite blogs together – just beautiful! Totally love it!!

June 24, 2015 at 10:47 am

AMAZING improvement on her eyebrows!!

Leticia Justus
    June 24, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Kate looks Great !
    I was just thinking the other day while I was putting on my own maskara that Kate should try lash extentions . Cause she has for years longed to have more in the lash dept 🙂
    Yay ! She look so stunning ! LIKE HER BEST EVER ! good job Cara …you worked your magic once again .
    So awesome to have my 2 favorite bloggers in 1 place !!!!!

Brittany Coleman
    June 25, 2015 at 12:45 am

How do you choose people to makeover?

June 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I feel like you made her look like you and not herself.

June 25, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I love Kate’s blog and you did an amazing job with her makeover. She always looks so pretty anyway and you gave her a whole new look that’s gorgeous too. Love it!

June 26, 2015 at 8:26 am

Oh my gosh! So amazing!! She looks flawless! I wish I could get my blonde eyebrows to look like that without looking sillly.

June 26, 2015 at 9:45 am

Kate is stunning with or without makeup but this makeover is stunning! Her eyes look amazing!

June 28, 2015 at 6:26 pm

She looks GREAT!! I follow her blog and now will follow yours. I look like her a bit/have her coloring (eyes/hair, etc.) so I went out and bought some of these products! Thanks!! I love Kate’s natural makeup look, but she really should do this bombshell look more!

June 28, 2015 at 6:33 pm

And I agree with one of the comments above — can you post a longer video of it?? I’d like to see more/all of the steps of this!!

Samantha Pulliam
    July 1, 2015 at 8:48 am

I follow both of you fine lady’s blogs & I must say, I was totally stoked to see a collab!
    Look at your eyes, Kate! They look so sultry & noticeable!
    And your braid, Cara! Looks so effortless & boho!
    Love both the looks, great job girls!

July 1, 2015 at 2:49 pm

We’ve loved Kate for years! Cara, this turned out so great! So beautiful in the before and after. I love what you did with her brows and lashes. Her eyes look incredible!

Shelly Grant
    July 2, 2015 at 7:55 am

Ok, so I’ve followed both of your blogs for years now, so it is so cool you’ve redone her comfortable subtle makeup routine. I’m telling you, she looks like a different person, so much like Sheryl Crow with the bronzing and tan. You are truly amazing with your makeup skills!

Melissa T.
    July 2, 2015 at 3:33 pm

WOW, amazing!! I follow both of you, love you both. So amazing to see the transformation!

July 2, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Wow, I didn’t realize it was possible for Kate to be even more beautiful!! You made her such a bombshell!

July 2, 2015 at 9:12 pm

wow! talking about making eyes POP!!!!! What a great job you did of highlighting her beautiful features and making her look so good and still so natural.
    PS – I have waited patiently for you to have some makeovers for people of color. I think in all, there’s been one girl :-(… C’mon Cara, I KNOW you can do it! and me…. well I’m 54 with a platinum fauxhawk that’s growing out and freckly face that hasn’t started to get wrinkled but isn’t as lifted as it used to be. – … i don’t see a lot of makeovers that I can relate to although you’ve done some beautiful work on older women… your MOM was A-MAY-ZINGGGG! I would love to see how contouring works on a thin angular face that could use some POP and LIFT Ok, I’m rambling…. just offering some ideas for future makeovers for the sake of variety 🙂 you are so very talented!

July 2, 2015 at 9:14 pm

oh and PS – I am DEFINITELY going to try and wear lashes this weekend – Kate’s look is so tempting to try out.

june 2015 favorites. | a tattooed teacher in texas
    July 6, 2015 at 5:35 am

[…] kate at small things bombshell makeover by maskcara […]

August 28, 2015 at 4:38 am

Hurrah, that’s what I was seeking for, what a material!
    existing here at this website, thanks admin of this website.

September 4, 2015 at 3:39 pm

TOTALLY great!!! I love how you gave a step-by-step!

October 14, 2015 at 9:58 pm

What a difference the eyebrows make! She was stunning before but WOW!

December 4, 2015 at 1:29 pm

OMG!!! You are amazing!….I love how you picked out her best features (which she has great features btw) and you just made them POP! You are truly talented!!!!

December 10, 2015 at 6:03 am

I’m just now seeing this and you look beautiful, she looks beautiful and I just love you both! 🙂

December 18, 2015 at 1:09 am

She is SO gorgeous with NO make up!! It’s insane! Of course she looks great with make up too, but WOW, natural she is stunning!

Things That Thrill Me – Miss In The Midwest
    April 23, 2016 at 12:36 am

[…] all of you see Kate from the Small Things Blog’s major makeover from Maskcara? It’s amazing how different (but still beautiful!) she […]