Before & Afters Makeup

makeover monday – Nicole

I cannot tell you how sweet this woman is.
Not to mention GORGEOUS!
Her eyes are like pure sapphires.
And I gotta say. I get totally mixed reactions to the makeovers. Sometimes women cry, often they turn bright red, or laugh. I think it’s a pretty wacky experience to see you in a whole new way. Plus it’s somewhat awkward to be checking yourself out with an audience mirror bombing you over your shoulder (🙋). But I really loved her reaction. She was so surprised and I could tell she felt really beautiful.

Photos by Jessica Janae

Makeup Capsule Approved

What I used:

First I gave her a little color with some Tomas (sprayed onto her face and décolletage and then I let it rest for about 10 minutes before applying foundation.

IIID Foundation un Sunlit (highlight) + Stone (contour) + Dahlia (Blush & lips)+ Shadow (to contour the nose)
Brun MAC Eyeshadow for the brows
Sunrise on her lids & Mocha on her lash line (top & bottom) both form the Naturally Pretty Palette
Too Faced BTS mascara
Lip Liner in Sebastian (then filled with Dahlia blush)

I’m trying to think of ways to make the Makeover Monday’s a little more fun ( I mean, if you can get any more fun than a MAKEOVER:) Would you guys like to see more video makeovers? Learn more about the beautiful lady? Or do you have anything else you’d like added to these?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Have a wonderful day you guys!

PS I’m going back on Evine live Wednesday at 9pm Central then again on Thursday at 12pm & 8pm Central. We will be stocked with Walnut & brushes and it’s going for a GREAT DEAL!

June 8, 2015 at 11:02 pm

VIDEOS! I love following along with them while standing in front of my own mirror. Reading the products you used is helpful but I love when I see a video of someone with a larger nose (like me) for example and can watch the video and apply the same techniques. I feel like you’re in the room with me. So my 2 cents is more makeover videos! 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I’d like to see videos so I can follow along including hair tutorial please 🙂

June 8, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Oh gosh! You’re right. Nicole’s eyes are like bright sapphires. I love her before & after! :]

// ▲ ▲

June 8, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I’d loovvveee to see more women in their 40s, 50s, and beyond. I know I’m speaking for myself and my friends and family who follow you…we’re all in our 40s and 50s.

June 9, 2015 at 7:17 am

I’m one of those who would love that also.

June 9, 2015 at 7:41 am

Yes, we need some expert advice!

June 9, 2015 at 8:47 am

me too!!!

Sarah in Colorado
          June 9, 2015 at 11:03 am

Me too. 48 and still love learning new things about hair and makeup. It keeps us looking fresh and current aka younger than if we stick with a style and look that worked for is in our 20’s or 30’s.

June 9, 2015 at 8:23 am

agreed!!! Lets hear it for waking up tired eyes and faces with a few more years!

June 9, 2015 at 8:25 am

and mature makeovers above mid 40’s always welcome!

June 9, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I totally agree! More 40+ makeovers. I’d also love to see multiple looks on the same person… Like a going out version and a daytime look. I pretty much have one look and don’t know how to change it up very well. I also agree with the poster below about how to keep the look fresh. I know I’m not 20 anymore and (sniff, sniff), never will be again. However, I’m happier and have more time and money for freshening up my look, I just don’t have those mad Cara skilz to bring it together!!!

June 10, 2015 at 7:54 am

Agree! And videos!

June 8, 2015 at 11:30 pm

More videos!!! And longer ones that include special tips about face shape, finding their correct shade for foundation AND blush, contouring their nose shape, etc.

Kari Anne Duwe
    June 8, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Yes please more videos! I love seeing/hearing the techniques used

June 8, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Yes please, more videos! Your work is amazing. I always see the first picture and think, “oh they are cute”, then I scroll down and say, “wow, they’re beautiful!” Her face so light in the second picture. Is that the lighting on your camera or did you do that with makeup?

Ashley Gaskin
    June 8, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Would love to see more videos! I learn so much by watching you work!

June 9, 2015 at 12:13 am

I would like to see make up ideas for gray hair. Since I have let my hair turn gray I find that I am almost completely washed out and need something new but am not sure what. Thanks!

June 9, 2015 at 9:25 am

Kay, my sister in law is very into the whole color wheel thing– what season you are, clear vs. deep, cool vs. warm etc. and as both our mothers have decided to embrace the gray, she has shared a lot of valuable info. We lose a lot of pigment as we get older– not just in our hair– and our color palette moves to cooler (likely) and softer. The makeup and clothing colors we’ve chosen our whole lives to look our best now may need rethought! Our hair, skin, eyes, and lips have changed so gradually that we probably haven’t realized that it’s time to pick new hues– we just feel pale! The same with *how* we do our makeup. Applying eyeliner etc the same way at 50 as 20 may mean we’re not keeping up with the changing topography of our faces and doing ourselves an injustice! Personally, that would be my vote for makeovers etc, Cara!– Optimal color choice (hair, makeup, & clothing) for our skin coloring, adjusting our makeup as our faces/coloring change/age etc!

June 9, 2015 at 12:22 am

More videos, and more women with short hair! I love love loved that makeover for the woman with the pixie cut.

June 9, 2015 at 12:24 am

Definitely more videos ……. And not the super rushed Allure 2 minute ones. Longer more in depth ones like you used to make. Thanks in advance!!!

June 9, 2015 at 12:27 am

I agree: more videos and/or at least some diagrams showing where you’ve placed the products. Like another commenter above, I would also like to see makeover of older women once in awhile.

Chara Russell
    June 9, 2015 at 12:33 am

I think it’d be interesting to hear why/how you decided what to do and what products to use on each person, based on their skin type, face shape, individual preferences or lifestyle, etc. rather than just seeing the list of what was used. It would be fun to hear those details, and good for relating it to our own needs as well!

June 9, 2015 at 12:59 am

Nicole is such a lovely lady. Stunning in both before and after mode. As for what I would like to see, I like the videos showing technique, and product. I am older than your usual crowd, but I still love to enhance my look. I am 64 years young this year…….

June 9, 2015 at 1:28 am

Wow! She looks like Naomi Watts.

June 9, 2015 at 2:09 am

Your Monday makeovers are my favorite posts! Yes, I would love more videos – but not instead of – just in addition to – the pictures. And I second the suggestions above, of more makeovers of older women. Keep up the good work!

June 9, 2015 at 2:24 am

I would love to see makeovers of women in their 40’s and 50’s, as well as makeovers with short hair. I love looking at the before and after pictures. Amazing work!

June 9, 2015 at 3:59 am

I love Makeover Mondays! I vote for videos for those of us who are visual learners. 😉

Hope Wimmer
    June 9, 2015 at 4:46 am

Definitely more videos!! It helps show all of us how to replicate!! And it can never get redundant Because SOMEHOW yours always looks better!! 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 4:47 am

She looks amazing without makeup!! And i don’t know if this is realistic but I think it would be cool to show a day look AND a night look for each.

June 9, 2015 at 4:56 am

Hi Cara, your makeovers are absolutely to die for! They are so amazing. Like you said, makeovers are inherently fun as is, but something I’ve liked is when you do two different styles of makeovers on one person (a lighter look and darker look or something like that). This is more work of course but just a suggestion for how to switch up makeover Monday 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 5:32 am

I would like to see a video of the makeover. I learn a lot from your videos. Beautiful makeover.

June 9, 2015 at 5:35 am

I would like to see more videos and maybe more variety of products used.

June 9, 2015 at 5:55 am

Videos pls! I love your makeovers, but fall terribly short in understanding how to mimick!

Karen harrison
    June 9, 2015 at 6:00 am

How about reaction from the woman? She could write about the experience – before and after. Does she think she can achieve the same results at home?

Or even a short video of the reveal.

June 9, 2015 at 6:21 am

You are so sweet in addition to being so talented. You care about what your fans/friends want and need and always have a lovely perspective that is meaningful. Videos yes please!

June 9, 2015 at 6:32 am

I love videos too but really I would love to know more about the person. Maybe some fun questions along with a few makeup/skincare questions? Something along the lines of favorite book, skincare step they never skip, night owl or early bird, hobbies?

June 9, 2015 at 6:58 am

I think it would be fun to do theme makeup. Like with a redhead a while back to have based her makeup off of the red head off madmen. I haven seen that show but my sister always tries to copy her makeup.

June 9, 2015 at 7:03 am

I really enjoyed the format for the Mother’s Day makeovers. We were able to learn a little about the woman getting the makeover and see some ‘behind the scenes’ action.

June 9, 2015 at 7:07 am

As someone who sneaks reading blogs at work, I’d love to see picture by picture progress of a makeover!

June 11, 2015 at 8:01 am

June 9, 2015 at 7:13 am

Fabulous! She looks 10 years younger and so classically beautiful! Love it!

Emily Fox
    June 9, 2015 at 7:13 am

Oh Cara!! LOVE this makeover! Just LOVE it!! Infact, I just purchased Sunlit, Stone and Dahlia to add to my palette options 🙂
    To answer your question…videos, please!! Watching your videos, has really helped me master the HAC’ing application.

June 9, 2015 at 7:22 am

More video makeovers!!!

June 9, 2015 at 7:34 am

i love this series! It would be so fun to see an “after” where the women recreate the look themselves using what you’ve taught them – it would be so inspiring!

June 9, 2015 at 7:36 am

Videos! Possibly even in tutorial format every now and then to really see how/where things are applied on a variety of faces. Love your work, Cara! Keep it up!

Lori Barker
    June 9, 2015 at 7:38 am

I would love to see videos on how you handle a makeover!

June 9, 2015 at 7:41 am

Wow, she is absolutely gorgeous without a shred of makeup! I love how you kept her natural and just highlighted what is already there. The makeover is stunning. Great job Cara! I’ll agree with everyone about having more videos. I’d love to watch how you actually do it. Specifically, I’d love to see parts of it in real time instead of sped up. I know you can’t do that for the entire video every time, but maybe you could choose a different feature each time to show in real time (like if someone has acne prone skin, you could show how you cover it, or if their brows need a lot of filling you could show that…)

June 9, 2015 at 7:47 am

More videos please!! They are very helpful to see your step-by-step process and how you apply the products. Also, as commented above, would love to see more makeovers of women in their 40’s. I love your work Cara!!

June 9, 2015 at 7:59 am

Hmm, here’s a thought… What if you were to do a long distance make over? The lovely lady would essentially be doing a “selfie makeover” while you give expert direction through a virtual means (Skype, FaceTime etc). This, of course would require a fair bit of pre-prep, but it would be fun to see how someone does with your instruction and their own hand. Of course, they may have to add to their makeup arsenal and would require a decent video camera.

June 9, 2015 at 8:22 am

please more step by step tutorials- whether video or picture form. The effect is in the details of your application and although you may feel you have done it many times over- each makeover has its own detail. Especially eyes and nose contour. I may have all products listed in front of me but cant emulate the result. Still need help and detailed application instruction. Thanks Cara!

June 9, 2015 at 8:31 am

I LOVE your makeover Mondays! I really like your idea of having the videos because then we could really see how you do it! 🙂

Michelle Bell
    June 9, 2015 at 8:36 am

I love your makeovers! It would be awesome to see videos of the makeovers, so we know how to attempt to duplicate the looks on ourselves:)

Tara Ulrich
    June 9, 2015 at 8:41 am

videos for sure! until i can perfect my own look….it’s great to follow along to the videos to see your technique. thanks!

Katy Burnett
    June 9, 2015 at 9:18 am

Videos! I love videos! And also, I love it when you try something a little different on these ladies. A bold lip or a dark eye is so fun to see.

June 9, 2015 at 9:18 am

Videos PLEASE!!

June 9, 2015 at 9:25 am

What about doing “celebrity looks” on people with similar coloring as that celebrity….Iike doing a Reese Witherspoon look on that pretty lady you did today (both have bright eyes, similar complextion) …or a while ago you did a redhead with blue eyes it would have been so fun to see Christina Hendricks look on her…..even if their features aren’t the same their coloring was really similar. 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 9:25 am

I love watching your video makeovers!! Please do more!!

June 9, 2015 at 9:30 am

I’d like to see you stretch out and use some colors in the eyeshadows, just every once in a while. The neutrals are so pretty and practical, but I have no idea what to do with purples and blues and other colors.

June 9, 2015 at 9:36 am

Yes, more videos makeovers and more on the 40’s-50’s age group please. I would also like to see makeovers done on different ethnic groups. More specifically, I am interested in seeing video makeovers on middle-age Asians. 🙂 Thanks, Cara!

June 9, 2015 at 9:39 am

I feel like the redness in her face is what I deal with. I’m so happy to have an example of which colors to buy! Your makeovers are great. The ONLY thing I wish I could see in more detail is the actual time it takes to blend when you HAC. All the videos fast forward through that and cut out what looks like chunks of time and blending… I’m scared to try it and I feel like if you had a video completely dedicated to applying the foundation and showing real-time blending it would be so helpful!

June 9, 2015 at 10:03 am

More in depth tutorials

Ashley Earle
    June 9, 2015 at 10:14 am

I would love more videos, but instead of just going through what you used/did, I’d love to hear more about why you chose these colors, tips on applying them, things people often do wrong, etc. When I see your makeovers I usually spend 15 minutes comparing the before and after thinking what exactly is it that made her look so beautiful (is it the filled in brows, the eye color, the contouring of her nose or cheeks), and how can I make sure I’m doing it and doing it correctly so that I look beautiful too. I know it sounds cheesy but it’s true!!

June 9, 2015 at 10:21 am

Anyone know a dupe for MAC Brun?

June 9, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Mare, I think I read somewhere that L’Oréal Antique Brown solo eyeshadow was a dupe for MAC Brun… I think it might be on!

June 9, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Thank you, Irissa!

June 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm

You’re welcome 😉

Randee Pingel
    June 9, 2015 at 10:52 am

Video makeovers would be way fun and have some get to know you things in it. I would love to see their reactions to the reveals! Maybe kind of like the Mothers Day makeover videos!

June 9, 2015 at 10:53 am

A video makeover would be awesome so we can see the transformation. Great job!

June 9, 2015 at 11:04 am

I like the idea of diagrams I don’t always have time to watch a video although helpful and choosing foundation

June 9, 2015 at 11:16 am

I would love to see how to cover up acne or scars or red spots. I use your Maskcara makeup but don’t know how to make it look good with needing to cover lots of thing. Thanks!

June 9, 2015 at 11:49 am

Definitely videos! For those of us who love makeup, watching a makeup artist work is fascinating! I also like the idea of your making comments about color choices and techniques based on facial features, coloring, etc. Remember that that many of the things that are common sense to you are brand new knowledge to your readers. LOVE your blog. Your kind spirit pours out of every sentence, and people are naturally drawn to that!

June 9, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Yay for video makeover mondays! Looking at you working your magic ‘live’ is surprisingly relaxing and inspiring ! xo

June 9, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I would love more videos, but I totally know they’re more work. It’s just nice to see the technique!

Alyssa | Glitter and Grey

June 9, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I miss the celebrity looks, those were so fun to watch!

June 10, 2015 at 10:16 am

I forgot about those. They were so much fun!

June 9, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I would love to know more about each lady and what tip or tips we can take away from each makeover.

Miranda V.
    June 9, 2015 at 2:24 pm

well I think we can all agree that videos is a MUST! I’d love to see their reactions to the makeover. Also, I think it would be fun if they brought a ‘look’ that they’d like to see on themselves and have you replicate something similar for them. This gal is GORGEOUS either way. 🙂

Kristin Webb
    June 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I think video makeovers would be great! I would love to “watch you in action” plus I think it would be great to see their reactions!

June 9, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Videos!!!!! I love to see how you apply the makeup. Also, I think that it would be fun to see a more varied group of women in both ethnicity but also in age and coloring. A brunet with fair skin but dark hair and eyes, an older women with gray hair, red heads, women with freckles exc.

June 9, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Love this makeover, Cara! I would love to see videos of the makeovers and maybe even some more glam on some of the women – like maybe a party look, or smokey eye nighttime look! Just a thought! =)

June 9, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Yes to videos! This over 50 gal would love to learn some of your techniques!

June 9, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I would love to know more about the women!

June 9, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Videos please! Also please don’t feel like you have to make them short – some of us love the detail! You can definitely slow some things down if you like and explain how / why you are placing colours / products, especially with contouring. Also brows! I can’t get brows right with Brun no matter how hard I try & I see you can even use it on blonds! I love the makeovers – the more detail the better 🙂

June 9, 2015 at 5:44 pm

more videos!! also, i would love to see a photo of how they do their own makeup! I think it would help us recognize our own mistakes. Especially for the younger girls and 20-somethings.

A Alle
    June 9, 2015 at 6:23 pm

The video of their reveal would be fun. I would love to see their reaction to their new look. Also, the before with how they did their makeup would be good, along with the bareface one you always show.

June 9, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I would love it if it were more of a tutorial video. Why you picked the colors you used, how they were applied, etc. so that I can recreate the looks.

Lisa Lown
    June 9, 2015 at 7:58 pm

i love the videos , that way I can try your techniques

Calee H
    June 9, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Do you still take models for these makeovers? I’d love to nominate my mom for her birthday and she is older. She even lives in the southern Utah area!

June 10, 2015 at 12:59 am

I would love videos!

June 10, 2015 at 3:38 am

I have terrible acne/scarring and would love to see you do a makeover on someone with skin like me. I would volunteer but I live on Maui. Or just how to deal with skin issues in general.

June 10, 2015 at 7:24 am

I would like to know a few tips on how to keep your makeup from melting! With summer coming I need a little extra coverage to hide blemishes without over doing it. i use the 3d maskcara makeup and I love it but its a little too much for a hot summer day when I need to be out and about!

Moriah Mari
    June 10, 2015 at 7:36 am

I’d love to see the ladies’ reactions.:) And I’m in on the more videos! I really like seeing technique demonstrated.

June 10, 2015 at 8:55 am

I would love to see the videos and to know a little more about the ladies getting the makeovers.

Lauren @ She Tries It
    June 10, 2015 at 9:21 am

Beautiful! The makeup makes her eyes stand out even more.

June 10, 2015 at 9:24 am

I LOVE makeover monday : ) I’d love to see the side by side pics instead (along with more videos) too please. It makes it easier to see the changes rather than scrolling up and down all the time : ) Thank You !

June 10, 2015 at 10:21 am

and Sixties!! I’m going to be 61 in less than a week but feel 40! and I like to be current but “age appropriate” ha whatever that is!

I love how you put makeup on these women and they don’t look “made up” they look so wonderfully natural!

June 10, 2015 at 10:22 am

Hi Cara! I’ve been following your blog for a while although I never commented until now! I absolutely love your makeovers, I find them so inspiring! You know how to bring the best of everyone 🙂
    I love your blog so much, I featured you on my last blog post about my favorite blogs! Just wanted you to know 🙂

June 10, 2015 at 11:45 am

I love the videos you have done and I really love learning more about the people you makeover! I think that’s what made me love you mothers days makeovers the most because you got to know these people and care about them and it was really touching having their family explain it all.

June 10, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I would love to see Mother/daughter makeovers, or sisters makeovers. I love seeing the similarities in faces, and how the differences make us beautiful. Not that we need to compete to be the most gorgeous, but that we are all gorgeous because of the similarities and differences. I have 3 sisters, and I always thought of 1 as the especially gorgeous one. Then I saw a picture of the four of us together, and I realized that we were all equally beautiful, just different. My mom is gorgeous as well, and I would love for her to see that beauty isn’t exclusively the “young girl’s game!”

June 10, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Wow…this is amazing Cara. You are so talented and she looks truly gorgeous. I can only imagine how she felt when she saw herself after. I know I would have cried. I’m curious how does one go about having a makeover done? How do I schedule one? I’m 39, have 5 young kids (14 month old twins, and 3, 5, 7 year olds) and I would definitely be interested in one. Thanks;)

June 10, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Just a request…I’d love to see some redhead makeovers. Redhead makeup is hard!

June 10, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Videos and stories about the lovely ladies 🙂 I think that’d be neat!

June 12, 2015 at 11:09 am

June 12, 2015 at 11:11 am

Mare, wow, you are wonderful!!! Saw you on evine and then went directly to your website. LOVE your videos. Please do a makeover on older ladies that want to look great too. Best wishes for your continuing success! 🙂

June 12, 2015 at 12:24 pm

you’re like a magician!

June 14, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Oh my goodness, absolutely stunning, those eyes!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

June 15, 2015 at 7:56 am

Amazingly beautiful before and after! And I completely agree with the other ladies! Videos are always welcome! And may I just say I love how you point out each and every lady’s beautiful features. You just have such a sweet heart!

June 16, 2015 at 7:38 am

I would love to see women featured who are of varying ethnicities. Facial features, coloring, etc tend to be different

October 7, 2015 at 6:34 am

It is suggested that you should complete the full course of your treatment
    even if the symptoms have completely disappeared.