My Life

Pet Peeves & Dearest Delights

I like hearing about people’s pet peeves.
I mean, if you were to ask someone “What are some things you don’t like.” They’d probably look at you funny and if they responded at all they’d say something generic that is just universally bad, like bullies.
But when you ask about pet peeves, people get specific.
Pet peeves are sort of fun, cause they’re unique and original but at the same time when you here one 9 times out of 10 you think, YEAH! That is annoying! And then you are instantly bonded by your dislike for the same things.

I’ve often  thought there needs to be an equivalent for things that make you happy. But in the same way, like of course we love and appreciate all of the REALLY important/universally good stuff but what about the little quirky things that stick out to you? Those need a place too. Your Dearest Delights, so to speak. In honor of the two way street I decided to make a list of both.

I would so love if you’d add yours as well.

When people save seats at a popular fast food place (like in & out or Shake shack) when THEY DON’T EVEN HAVE ANY FOOD YET! Listen. IF everyone follows the same rules and just waits in line until they have their food we ALL get a seat! Then no one has to hover over the garbage can to scarf their burger while you sit at a booth aimlessly scrolling through instagram.

When people describe perfectly normal actions as “creepy” because an a guy over 50 does it.  Too obscure perhaps? Let me give you some context: I was once swimming with a few girls at someone’s common apartment pool and this older gentleman walked into the water, did a few laps (as I’m assuming was his nightly routine) and then left. He neither gawked at any of the girls or looked unkept in any way. But when he left a few of them said “Ew that was sooooo creepy.” NO IT WASN’T! HE’S JUST GETTING SOME EXERCISE. GOOD FOR HIM!!
Another time, My dad made mention that he feels like he can’t give compliments to random people anymore because he doesn’t want to seem creepy, now that he’s old and everything. And you know what? He’s the least creepy person I know. Including myself. So there.

When people call me Cara Brooks. I know it’s a totally honest mistake and it really doesn’t bug me as much as I’m just surprised by it. There’s no S at the end and it’s one thing if I just met someone and they get confused but there are people who I’ve know FOR YEARS who still call me Cara Brooks. I will not hold it against you for pronouncing it car (as in the thing you drive)-ah on the first meeting (for the record it’s care (as in carebears)-ah) cause how would you know? But adding an S just seems a little lazy to me, like they got to the K and thought “oh yeah, I totally got this”

When I make a joke and Nick Literally LOLs. This might sound totally inconsequential but not if you knew Nick. He does not courtesy laugh period. Even if he thinks it’s pretty dang funny he’ll only give you a half smile/nose exhaling snort. But when he actually breaks out in a full on chuckle. I can’t help but beam.

When Christian makes a dorky expression that looks exactly like me. He and I share the same mouth. For years I was very self conscious about mine because it’s pretty big, lots of gums and it sort of cracks open all the time. Anyway, for better or for worse Crush has the same one. I just look at it though when it’s at its craziest and I think, I don’t care what anyone says that mouth is perfect!

Pig things. I LOOOOOVE pigs. They are the most adorable lovable little creatures ever. My grandma used to collect pigs of all kinds and when she died she left me the very best of her entire collection because she knew how much I adored him. A big fluffy plush one I aptly named “Mr. Pig” (I was big into full house at the time) and I carried on her legacy. My latest favorite is a Piggy bank that’s a pig dressed up like elvis. Instant classic.

OK your turn! What are your pet peeves and dearest delights!?

May 26, 2015 at 4:31 am

Girl, I feel your pain on Brooks issue. My name is Brooke and people says Brookes all the time, no no there is no s! Big pet peeve, you’re not alone!!!

Meri Waldron
    May 26, 2015 at 4:55 am

Pet peeves: liars and self righteous people. Dearest delights: I agree about making your spouse laugh but also when he makes me laugh because you don’t realize how long you go without genuine laughter until it happens. Also when people genuinely surprise you and don’t let you down. I’m always looking for those moments!

Miki Nyckel
    May 26, 2015 at 5:40 am

Haha, I totally got a kick out of your post. ‘It’s like they got the K, and thought, it’s ok, I got this!’ LOL! Your delights are very sweet 🙂 Haha pet peeves … oh if I had the time. LOL 😉 I actually can’t think of too many off the top of my head, how crazy is that, right?! 😀 Maybe coworkers, that have a lazy, attitude and don’t work hard at all, or the ones who complain all freaking day long, about everything! Aaaaaah drives me mad!! 😮 But, 🙂 my dearest delights are my wonderful family, my best friend, and my puppies!! 😀

May 26, 2015 at 5:47 am

Pet peeve – I can’t stand it when people say the word “panties” – I have no idea why but THAT is creepy and it doesn’t even have to be a 50+ male saying it! The worst thing is, my husband thinks it’s hilarious so he has taught the kids to use it as much as possible. That’s where one of my Dearest Delights comes in – one of the kids casually drops the word “panties” (errrgh) in to the conversation and the entire family erupts in laughter, like its the funniest joke EVER. So weird, but that’s my little family for ya!

May 26, 2015 at 11:23 am

Bahaha! I hate that word too but, at the same time, I feel kind of stupid saying “underwear”. There’s just no good word for it.

May 26, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Agree on the panties…such a weird word!

May 26, 2015 at 6:51 am

Pet peeve – when the server brings my beverage to the table and is holding the glass around the rim. Right where my mouth is going to be when I sip it.
    Dearest delight – when I’m reading with my grand daughter and she absent-mindedly rests her head on my shoulder. Heaven.

May 26, 2015 at 10:21 am

I’m totally with you on people holding glasses around the rim.

Shauna B
    May 26, 2015 at 7:03 am

Ha! I love “dearest delights”! Mine is also making my hubs or my Dad laugh out loud; I am insanely proud of myself when it happens! Also that feeling when you are kissing your babies and you feel like you could just eat them up because you are so consumed with love! My pet peeves are poor grammar and seeing people bend or fold their ears. The ear thing is like nails on a chalkboard and I literally shudder. I have to tell hairdressers not to bend my ears when they are waiting my hair or I will freak out!!

May 26, 2015 at 7:06 am

This post, Cara! I loved it SO much! Thank you for it! <3

May 26, 2015 at 7:06 am

Pet peeve- food noise! The sound of people eating and drinking will drive me up a wall!!! The only thing my husband does that makes me loose it is is swishing liquid around his mouth ….you know like you would mouth wash?! ….why would you do that!? —–dearest delights would be the sound of my 5 children all playing together and when they randomly stop to help each other or teach one another something!

May 28, 2015 at 1:46 pm

My boyfriend does this during his whole meal for EVERY MEAL and it drives me crazy! What’s more is that he always does it with coke. It has negative benefits at that point!

Jessica Walter
    May 26, 2015 at 7:07 am

Pet peeve- leaving hair in a hair brush. If you come to my house, you will not find any hair in any brush. I find it absolutely disgusting and have forever. Other peeve- if your going to come to California, you need to drive like a Californian!! Because you drive the rest of us mad when you don’t!!

Dearest Delights- When my hubby forgets something. Sounds weird but let me explain. I am hypothyroid and have been for 16+ years and the symptoms are getting worse especially after having 4 kids. One of those symptoms are memory issues. Plus Dementia runs in my family. I’ve got no hope for myself lol. So it drives my hubby mad with how often I forget stuff. So when I have to remind him, it feels good lol. We’ve been married over 12 years so it’s all good!

May 26, 2015 at 7:38 am

I’m with Autumn on the pet peeves – food noises kill me! Slurping, crunching, biting silverware, ugh!

Dearest delights – smooches from my little guy in the morning. He’s ten months old and has never been a very cuddly baby (too much to see and do to just sit and snuggle!), but EVERY morning when he wakes up now he gives me lovely baby smooches. Sure, they’re open mouth and slobbery, but he pulls away and looks so proud of himself and then claps. Best thing ever.

May 26, 2015 at 7:42 am

My pet peeves are when people email me and it clearly shows the spelling of my name yet they spell it Erica instead. Or if I’ve know them forever and they spell it incorrectly. I also can’t stand when everyone is waiting for their luggage at the airport and crowded up so close that you can’t see what’s coming around. It people would just stand back we could all see and walk calmly up and get ours when it gets around.
    I love when I come home from somewhere and my son runs to greet me. It makes my day!

May 26, 2015 at 9:20 am

Oh my gosh!!! The luggage thing!! So with you on that, I say it every time!

May 26, 2015 at 12:32 pm

That is one of my BIGGEST peeves!!! I always say how I want to make a huge yellow “stand behind this line” line around the luggage area. And if you do see what’s coming, you can’t easily pull it off…and people look at you like you’re doing something to bother them…but getting your luggage. UGGGH.

May 26, 2015 at 7:44 am

My pet peeve is a name thing too. My married name is Stott (yes if you’re in Utah and know a Stott they’re probbaly one of my husbands cousins. They’re everywhere) I have friends who call me “Stotts”. Seriously. It’s that hard. But for people who don’t know me I get “Scott” (that’s more common that Stott I let it slide). Then there’s “Stout” and I’m like you’re not even trying. I tell my husband all the time I’m going back to my maiden name which was Rose. Nobody ever messed that up.
    Dearest Delight. Yeah. When I’m joking and my husband LOLs. Also when my 2 yr old who is a powerhouse of energy stops everything comes up to me and give me a hug. Love. It.

Betsy diFrancesca
    May 26, 2015 at 8:03 am

Pet peeve: overuse of the word, “awesome”, people who spell my name, Besty instead of Betsy,cell phone use at inappropriate times ( in a restaurant, at the movies, in line at the grocery store) , talking loud on a cell phone at any one of these places.
    Delights: any random acts of kindness by strangers.

Emily Swearingen
    May 26, 2015 at 8:14 am

My biggest pet peeves: the word ‘panties’. It’s just sooo gross to me. Also, seeing a huge zit or blackhead on someone in public and not being able to do anything about it! It’s like an itch in my brain I can’t scratch for the rest of the day!
    Dearest Delights: seeing my dog’s eyes slowly get to heavy for her then watching her fall asleep. It’s too cute. And getting my nails done. I just quit biting my nails after 21 years, and now that I have them they’re painted and pretty all the time. Makes me feel good. 🙂

May 26, 2015 at 8:22 am

I also know the dreaded “S” pet peeve- my last name is Winter– NOT Winters– so I have to tell people, including family– Last name Winter…Like the season…. Which there is only ONE of 😉

May 26, 2015 at 8:24 am

#petpeeves – People who disregard the pedestrian walk sign, which includes both motorists AND bicyclists. I totally hate when bicyclists disregard red lights and stop signs just because they happen to be going downhill. Also, people who ride bicycles without helmets – it’s so unsafe.

#dearestdelights – When my kid dances, or when he smiles, or when he cuddles up with his blanket on the couch. And especially when he feeds the pets their dinner or treats – it’s really cute to watch someone so tiny try to take care of other living things 🙂

Sarah Elizabeth
    May 26, 2015 at 8:28 am

Oh my gosh, Cara I am totally with you on the “let’s add a random ‘s’ to this name” phenomenon! My maiden name was Coon and people ALWAYS thought it was Coons. I thought I had escaped it after marrying my husband. Nope. People put the ‘s’ right in the middle of Hornby to make it Hornsby.
    > insert facepalm<

May 26, 2015 at 8:42 am

I love your pet peeve about fast food seating. I’m from Chicago and my favorite hot dog place had a sign saying not to sit down until you make your order and that way everyone will get a seat. The sign also said “trust us it works” because it always worked out.

May 26, 2015 at 8:45 am

I’m with you Cara- I love hearing people’s pet peeves! My pet peeves are: when I can tell people don’t brush their teeth (I’m a dental hygienist- I can’t help it!), when I’m with someone and they text or look at their phone a lot, selfish people with no self awareness. Dearest delights: my husband is exactly the same! It’s so hard to make him laugh so when I do I love it! When I find money in a pocket of a coat I haven’t worn for a while, family get together a, and laughing till my stomach hurts!

May 26, 2015 at 8:48 am

ehm… #pet peeves: Chewing gum! And American RM’s marrying European girls and whisking them off to the US. We need them here, you guys! #dearest delights: When any of my kids show affection either to me or each other. Swoon.

May 26, 2015 at 9:02 am

I love this! I’m totally going to start making a list of my dearest delights. #petpeeves. When people drive by a long line of cars and then try to squeeze in the front. When people use the word kiddos. I don’t know why that bothers me, it just does. hubster is close behind. #dearest delights when my super shy nonlap cat wants some petting so bad she will get on the couch and put her front two paws on my thigh. Hardly ever happens but when it does, all else stops and she gets as much face rubbing as she wants. Also a rainy day during summer when I don’t have to be anywhere when I can light candles and snuggle on the vouch and read or watch tv all day!

May 26, 2015 at 9:24 am

My biggest pet peeve is when i walk my 6 blocks to work in the morning (in crowded nyc) and the person walking in front of me is smoking, blows the smoke, and it hits me straight in the face since I’m behind them. I do everything I can to avoid smokers but sometimes it’s hard to get around!

The “panties” pet-peeve is so funny to me- I design patterns for bras and panties as a career and so the world “panties” gets said a million times a day from men and women young and old. Sometimes when I explain what I do to a living to people I meet, I forget how much people hate that word until I see them cringe LOL. I should maybe switch to “underwear” haha 😛

May 27, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Yes! One of my biggest pet peeves is when smokers walk really fast in front of me. I’m like, if you’re smoking, can you please just slow down and let me pass?

May 26, 2015 at 9:25 am

Pet Peeve: When someone leaves a dirty dish right next to the sink instead of placing it INSIDE the sink. Why is that hard to do?? I have 5 kids so it happens often, ha!
    Dearest Delight: Absolutely making my husband laugh. He has a great “real” laugh and I love hearing it.

May 26, 2015 at 10:09 am

I love love love the idea of dearest delights!!!
    Pet peeve: when people leave cupboard or microwave doors open.
    dearest delights: so many!! Mostly giggles and warm hug moments.

Kristi Craig
    May 26, 2015 at 10:19 am

I’m with you on the pet peeves! And I love your dearest delights. The laughing thing is funny, because it’s the same thing with my dad. It was always the biggest accomplishment for my brother to get my dad to laugh.

Grammar mistakes — like the improper use of “their, they’re, there” and “you’re, your”

When my 3 year old nephew will randomly say to me, “I just love you, Auntie T!” (He calls me Auntie T, because he couldn’t say Kristi, only “ti” and it stuck!)

May 26, 2015 at 10:19 am

Pet Peeves: inattentive driving and running red lights when there is plenty of time to stop, esp. on left turn arrows (is it just here in the midwest or is that getting more common everywhere?); waiters putting their fingers on plates instead of holding them from the bottom; waiters calling us “you guys,”; and one of my big ones is when a group of people leave a restaurant or other building and have a long good-bye right in front of the doorway. There are other people on the planet who need to use that door!

Dearest Delights: Waking up with my morning coffee; everything about my cuddly, playful Jack Russell terrier Ruby; and like many others, making my S.O. laugh–I am so glad we can make each other laugh. I think it is the key to our happy relationship.

May 26, 2015 at 11:00 am

Tail gating. Makes me so crazy especially when I have my babies in the car. But my dearest delights are when my boys are giggling together or when the both fall asleep in me at the same time.

May 26, 2015 at 11:15 am

My daughter collects Piggie banks and our Elf on the Shelf, Elvis, left her the Elvis piggie bank too

May 26, 2015 at 11:20 am

Pet peeve: When people drag their feet while walking instead of picking their feet up off the ground a bit more…especially if they’re wearing flip flops! I immediately assume they are a lazy slob if they drag their feet.

Dearest delight: Getting into bed with clean sheets after I just took a shower and remembering that all the rest of the laundry is done. Ahhh…productivity warms my heart.

May 26, 2015 at 11:49 am

Pet Peeves: “Sunday Funday”, “fam bam”, “Cali”, people who walk cluelessly down the middle of parking aisles where I’m trying to drive, leaving drawers/doors open, people who put on a full face of makeup but nothing on their lips, rap music, having to eat a meal w/a salad fork, makeup tutorials that use way too many colors of eyeshadow for one look, kids with snotty dirty faces, people who bring carry-on luggage and hold up the works on the way on/off the plane. (yes I know I’m crabby)

Dearest Delights: Naps, my dogs, the beach, sunshine, floating in a pool…

May 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Yes! Cali drives me batty!! Haha

May 26, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Yes with the full face of makeup and no lip color!!!!!! Drives me crazy! All that work and their lips look plain and dry.

Meri Waldron
        May 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

or no brows! Although I’m guilty of not touching up my lip color…eek

May 29, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Too much lip liner too far outside the lip line, eye shadow up to the eye brows and in the eye brows, eyeliner drawn on noticeably crooked, too much blush not blended.

Melissa Reeder Dunsmoor
    May 26, 2015 at 11:53 am

This is kind of funny because I randomly met Lacy from laced hair yesterday, and she asked if I knew you because you and I went to the same high school… And she said Brook. I noticed it because I wasn’t sure if it was brooks or brook. But there you go, she got it right. Anyway…pet peeve: People putting dirty dishes in the wrong side of the sink, thus rendering the sink unusable for anything else. Delight: The smell of the rain in the desert!

May 26, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Oh my gosh I love this! My husband is the same-no courtesy laughs. I can usually get a little “heh” or exhale but when I get him to actually laugh it’s just the best!

May 26, 2015 at 12:17 pm

A to the Men on people’s names! To me it just shows they don’t care enough to learn someone’s name. I think anyone who has the potential for an s (or not) on their last name gets that one. My husband’s first name could be spelled one of two ways, and it never ceases to amaze me how many friends we’ve known for years spell it wrong.

I despise grammar and punctuation mistakes. And soooo many bloggers, even some pretty popular ones, have this problem. Let’s not even talk about the commenters.

Going to an event (graduation, sporting event) and someone has gone early and “saved seats” for everyone they’ve ever met–many of whom will sashay in right at the last moment or even late, while others are frantically looking for seats.

May 26, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Pet peeves: The phrase “First Annual” How do you know the first one will be successful enough to even have a second one??? People pulling out into the road as you’re driving by at the same time- you can’t guarantee they’re going to stay in their lane! And finally, people walking around in socks- inside or outside, doesn’t matter- that totally skeeves me out.

Dearest delights: Watching my bookworm son reading a book as we walk through the library or book store, my daughter calling for the birds in our backyard to come and eat when we fill the bird feeder, and my husband holding my hand any time, any where.

May 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Pet Peeve: when people don’t say “bless you” after someone sneezes, particularly, if I sneeze. I know it sounds petty, but it just bothers I sneeze and there’s total silence. It’s the only time I get passive aggressive lol one time, I actually said “No. I’m good. Bless me.” in class after no one said anything…to which I now think, after typing it out, that this may be stupid lol…maybe I need to let go of this pet peeve. Oh! but another is when people don’t pick up their dog’s poop, which is totally valid. Especially in a shared apartment yard. A LOT of roommate pet peeves, but the list would be way to long to cover them all. Totally feel you on the fast food table thing though.

Dearest Delight: all things ocean. I love fish stuff, whale stuff, starfish stuff, you name it! I’ve always loved the sea themed things. Although I think now it’s becoming a trend…
    Another is when my dog snuggles with me. He’s a big (and by big i mean 69 lb.) pit bull mix who normally just keeps to himself. Which I love. But it’s nice when he wants to cuddle with me too 🙂

May 26, 2015 at 1:38 pm

That’s interesting, in England I’ve met a couple of Caras and it’s always been pronounced with the ‘car’ bit but your way sounds really pretty! :). Hope you find that as interesting as me lol.
    Pet peeve, a kitchen floor with food spilled on it! Dearest delight, big beaming smiles and giggles from the babies at my work 🙂

Chelcey Tate (@chelceytate)
    May 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

My two biggest pet peeves are when people don’t speak/type in proper english (using the word ideals in place of ideas, etc.), and my number 1 BY FAR is when people smack/crunch/do any type of unnatural sound with their mouth. Eating out at Mexican restaurants is always hit or miss because of the chips constantly crunching! If anyone else on here can relate – it’s an actual brain disorder apparently called misophonia so … there’s that. 🙂 Kit Kat + Lays commercials drive me NUTS, too!

May 26, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Aww cute post! One of my biggest pet peeves is when people are driving and don’t signal before turning 🙂

May 26, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Pet peeves: When people don’t say please or thank you, when people are mean to their children or spouses and when I ask for sweet tea with a lot of lemon and get one wedge….

Dearest delights: Getting surprised by something goofy and getting into a laughing fit, any baby animal yawning for some reason and the smell of flowers in unexpected places, for example, the back wall of the parking lot at work became overrun by jasmin and honeysuckle all of a sudden and I get gusts of scented air while walking to my car; it inevitably makes me smile, no matter what kind of day I had.

May 26, 2015 at 2:05 pm

My last name is “John” and it drives me INSANE when people add an ‘s’ onto the end….for all the same reasons you said. After tirelessly (and tactfully) correcting my managers at an old job, I saw they had put “Johns” on the employee phone number list and I had a mini tantrum and took a sharpie and colored out the s. To no avail, I had to hear “Melissa Johns” over the page system the entire time I worked there. :/

May 26, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I have a pet peeve of people not spelling my name right too! They will still spell it wrong in an email even when they had to spell my name in the email address!
    Also, I can’t stand when someone just those their dishes in the dishwasher without rinsing them! I can’t stand food particles in the dishwasher, grosses me out!!
    Dearest delights are cuddling with hubby or the couch or bed & when he asked do you wanna watch Once Upon a Time? -It’s one of my favorite shows that he pretends not to like so it’s cute that he want’s to watch it just because he knows I do. I also love when one of my plants blooms in the garden! I feel so accomplished! And I love the smell of fresh clean laundry, can’t get enough of that smell!!

May 29, 2015 at 4:47 pm

When I tell people how to spell my name they hesitate and think about it for a few seconds, then proceed to misspell my name anyway because they can’t believe that it’s spelled the way I told them it was, or they think they heard me wrong. I want to say, “Look, when I tell you my name is spelled B-o-n-i then it is! So spell it right, fool!” 🙂

Darlene Tanti
    May 26, 2015 at 2:38 pm

My biggest pet peeve has to do with my name, when I meet someone (it’s usually always a man who does this) and, upon hearing my name, come out with, “Darling Darlene” and acting like they are so clever for coming up with that idea, when I have heard it so many times. Mouth noises. And putting the milk jug away with just a a couple tablespoons of milk in it. Dearest delights: Getting random,”Oh I love you Mom” text messages from my grown daughters; or when my hubby looks across the room at me and I can just see the love in his eyes. It makes my heart melt. 🙂 Or when I come home from a long day cleaning houses, and my hubby has a hot cup of tea waiting for me.

May 26, 2015 at 2:51 pm

One of my pet peeves is when someone touches my knee. I don’t know why but I cannot stand it.

One of my dearest delights is clean sheets. Also, getting a chance to watch one of my shows without anyone trying to talk to me.

May 29, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Oh I absolutely hate it when people want to touch me under my chin! Grrrrr!! Only men ever do it. Also men whistling obnoxiously at a woman like they’re doing her some kind of favor! Men who think they’re so funny when they say, “It never would have happened if she would’ve stayed in the kitchen.” They act like they’re the first man to have ever said it. It also really bugs me when men in magazines, tv, or online make rude comments about women’s bodies and faces, like they themselves are hot? They’re average to below average looking trolls at best! Why would any female care one monkey butt what they think? Who are they to talk?? And what’s worse is they actually think we care!!!! They do! All the guys, for example, on TMZ are ugly ugly dudes! Who are they to be criticizing? Oh that gets me every time. If I were a T Rex dinosaur I’d go ROAR!!!!! 🙂

May 26, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I laughed all through this post! My biggest pet peeve is a name one too – my name is Cassandra and I go by Cassie, but I get “Cass-o-ndra” and “Kasey” all the time. I even tell Starbucks baristas how to spell my name so I don’t have to look at the wrong name while I drink my coffee. Oh, and I also hate air in ziplock bags 🙂

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    May 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Pet Peeves: People insert an R into my last name all the time. I’m a teacher so I get called by my last name all day long. It’s never the kids, only adults.

When other adults call me “Mommy.”

Delights: Today, my son was playing and he randomly turned to me, cupped my cheek and said “Mama!” He grinned and then went back to what he was doing. It was almost as great as sleep!

May 26, 2015 at 7:17 pm

One of my pet peeves is when people use the phrase “coming aboard” or “welcome aboard” in regards to a workplace. It’s a business, not a sailing vessel! Ugh… I can’t stand that.

A few delights… watching my baby sleep in my arms, smelling spring flowers like lilacs and stock, curling up with a book or my laptop and a cup of tea after a long day

May 26, 2015 at 9:04 pm

This post is hilarious. Good to know I’m not the only one with…peculiarities 🙂 Two that come to mind are when people use my things and don’t put them back in their normal spot, and then I have to tear the room / office / house apart trying to find said thing when I need it. I find it terribly inconsiderate. The other one is when my dear husband (who truly is wonderful) doesn’t put his laundry in the correct color section of our hamper. Oh, just writing it sounds so trivial. What can I say, I have a touch of OCD (CDO? alphabetized, anyone?)

Dearest Delights: For sure, watching my husband and our son play together. I’m not sure who delights in the other more, but they are crazy about each other. And cuddling up with my son to read stories, sing, and pray at bedtime. He’s normally full of energy and never wants to hug for more than 0.372 seconds…but all that changes at bedtime. And I’m so thankful for those minutes at the end of each day!

May 26, 2015 at 9:08 pm

What a fun post! My biggest pet peeve would have to be when people don’t take the time to put away their shopping cart! And it’s just hanging out there all by its self in the middle of the parking lot, or it will collect a few friends and then all of the sudden there is a small heard of carts! So annoying! Lazy people walk 20 more feet and put it away! And my dearest delight would be giving my kids a little massage after their baths. I get to take the time and appreciate all their little features, tiny toes and fingers, and to see them relax with a quick little back rub. 🙂

May 26, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I love the dearest delights idea!

BUT 1st….bad manners like not holding the door open for people, not saying please/thank you, talking loudly on your cell in public. It also really bothers me when I have like 5 things to buy and the person in front of me doesn’t offer to let me go in front of them when they have a full cart! I always do it for others! :/ and I hate the sound and thought of others clipping their nails :-X

My boyfriend emits warmth like an electric blanket and I LOVE hugging and snuggling with him. So cozy…….The smell of my fresh coffee in the morning! I so look forward to it. Also, freshly washed sheets, pillows, duvets, etc. I seriously lean into my bed like the Gain commercials.

Great post Cara! <3

May 30, 2015 at 11:43 am

I work with a guy who likes to clip his nails in meetings. It is beyond weird and annoying. I flashed him the stink eye once when he pulled out his clippers and he hasn’t done it since.

From Mrs to Ms again
    May 26, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Like the others before me, I love this post.
    My pet peeve is when a store clerk (or anyone for that matter) will say “No problem” in response to my saying “Thank you”. I believe the appropriate response should always be “You’re Welcome”. It drives me crazy when some of these young people who are working now are not being taught good customer service skills. It seems that I am always the one thanking them for waiting on me to begin with, and then for them to then assure me it was “no problem” for them to be doing their job! Well la ti da!
    Okay, Dearest delights: Spending time in my garden and listening to the birds. Drinking sweet tea on the porch with my 86 year old mother. Listening to babies laugh. Petting my dog while I read a book. Watching the grandkids doing anything. Spending time with the Lord.

May 27, 2015 at 1:57 am

Things I detest: Throw pillows, I hate them with a fiery passion. People who wear perfume like they want people 50 yards away to be able to smell it. People who drive less than the speed limit in the left lane. Women (because it’s almost always women) pushing strollers who are so inconsiderate they take up the entire walkway and do not move even when you say, “Excuse me.” People who place personal phone calls before 10am. Solicitors of all types, but particularly the ones who knock on doors. Country music–all of it.

Things I love: Big, fluffy clouds. Snow. Dappled sunlight. Chiaroscuro. Steam rising from cups. The chirping of baby chicks.

May 27, 2015 at 6:20 am

“Cali”. No, BAD! When my partial carton of eggs is not in a symmetrical pattern. The fact that a gallon of windshield washer fluid was just a teeeny bit more than the tank would take (I would get in that car and start squirting until those last couple Tablespoons would fit, dang it – ha!). And always good for an in-car mumble session: when you let someone in in traffic and they don’t acknowledge or thank you. Just one little wave, dude! I don’t need Taylor Swift heart-hands, just nod ferpetessake!

My dearest delights: when the teen is sweet and sisterly to the tween, unprompted and sincerely. Or when my grown-up one asks to take them without me for “Sister Time”. Or when someone calls the little one a mini-me – not in looks, but we really are twinsies on the inside. So much love for my girls! The smell of dryer sheets all up in my clean laundry’s bizznezz. And when I’m making a random purchase and the total at the register comes up an even dollar amount, like $11.00 or $24.00. Tickles me every time!

May 27, 2015 at 7:52 am

My pet peeve is when people leave their shopping carts right in the middle of the parking lot!

May 27, 2015 at 8:16 am

I thought I was the only one!!!!! Oh man gets my blood boiling everytime. Especially when I stand back a little so folks can see/get through and then someone stands in front of me. Ugh!

Beth M.
    May 27, 2015 at 10:51 am

Pet Peeve: “Nordstroms”. THERE IS NO S ON THE END OF NORDSTROM. Unless you actually know someone who’s last name IS Nordstrom – i.e. “I am going over to Josh Nordstrom’s house later.”

Melissa M.
      June 1, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Also, so many people say “Victoria Secrets”.

May 27, 2015 at 12:22 pm

One of my biggest pet peeves is when girls keep pulling their shirts down! You know, like stretching it out to make sure its “covering” everything, and they pull it way down over their butt. Seriously there are shirts made for that. Stop it.

May 27, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Pet peeves: Excessive noise, non stop chattering, not knocking before entering, others singing along to the car radio music either in my car or theirs, being forced to listen to music I hate in cars, people feeling like they have any right to insult my pale skin whenever and wherever they want. People over talking others, people interrupting you so they can talk about themselves. People blaming your kids for something when they know it was their kids and then teaching them it’s ok to lie because they don’t want to be a parent and hate the fact their kids are always doing dishonest things & they are in denial. People who openly tell me my little Chihuahua mix pup is ugly every chance they get & they think it’s ok to do so & laugh about it. People who make insensitive comments and tell me to “Go eat a sandwich”. People who make fun of overweight people when they themselves are overweight, if not more so. I’ll never understand that. People who pronounce my name “boney”. Is it such a stretch that my name is pronounced “Bonnie”? What parent would name their kid boney? People who don’t give you credit for helping them out and flip it around like they did the helping and get angry when they know they have to pay you back all kinds of money, yet they had no problems accepting the money. People who have their hand out. Men who act like the girl in the relationship and expect the woman to pay for things, even the date and his bills. Men who ask women if they can borrow money, even if that woman is on disability. Toxic people, bad childish tempers. Laziness.

My dearest delights is my little girl and all her cute ways! She says the funniest things like when she saw boxing on tv 2 years ago she said to me, “Boy they sure are rude to each other!” 🙂 My puppy giving me kisses and curling up in the shape of a cinnamon roll next to me, following me everywhere I go, even to the bathroom and laying on the floor by the tub waiting for me to shower. Famous 80’s singer Christopher Cross telling me the spelling of my name is pretty when I got his autograph at his concert. 🙂 When women tell me I look like Heather Graham or say I have beautiful skin!! So nice to hear instead of the insults I get. Very delightful!

May 29, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Another dearest delight! A few months ago my daughter found a music record of mine and said, “Here’s a big CD!” 🙂 LOL!!

May 27, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Oh another pet peeve of mine is women wearing clothes waaay too small for them. This is an epidemic where I live. I understand wanting to fit into the smallest size possible, but it just looks bad. Wearing the correct size looks so much better and makes a person look smaller in actuality. Wearing too small of clothes makes a person look bigger, not smaller. Also women giving you the stink eye because of their own insecurities. I’m sure everyone can relate to that! 🙂

May 27, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Pet peeves: cars that continuing turning as you’re crossing the street and keeping driving toward you even though you’re obviously walking as fast as you can without straight up running; similarly, pedestrians who walk soooo slowly but who are clearly capable of walking faster and just being lazy.

Dearest delights: spooning with my 80lb. dog and when the alarm goes off, he rolls onto his back for belly scratches; making coffee at home and having enough time at work to enjoy it before leaving; when my boyfriend tucks my hair behind my ear.

May 27, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I meant having enough time *before work to enjoy it. 🙂 Nothing like hot, uninterrupted coffee.

May 27, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Oh! Fast food restaurants!! Why even bother going? They always screw up the order somehow, whether giving you the wrong thing, burning the food, undercooking it, over charging you, forgetting the ketchup or straws or napkins. It’s always something!! Always. Am I right? 🙂

May 27, 2015 at 4:05 pm

when I have to repeat myself on the phone, when my family throws their dirty clothes right in front of the hamper because they’re too lazy to open the lid, people who talk over me because what they have to say is soooo much more important or they think they know everything!

#dearest delights
    I share your love of pigs too and have since my family raised a few when I was a child. I have a collection as well!
    Spooning with my husband always feels so safe and comfy.
    Watching my kids do something they are good at. My heart just swells!
    My flower gardens. I love watching them grow and bloom.

May 29, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Yes, I love little pink pigs! They’re adorable little oinkers. 🙂 I had a friend in junior high school who loved pigs & said it often. My Spanish I teacher loved pigs, too. She used this pig stamp on good papers all the time. Somehow my love for piggies grew! I would love to have a pot belly pig! That would be a lot of fun. 😉 One of my younger sisters loved cows.

May 27, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Pet peeve: being called pale (sorry if anyone here uses that word!). Being called fair is a compliment to me but “pale” and being homely go together – I am not homely! (This whole obsession may have to do with the fact that it also gets on my nerves when people brag about having tans – its damage to your skin, everyone! – wear sunblock and get your glow from HACing instead) 🙂

Dearest delight: I am a preschool teacher – when one of my students comes and hugs right around my neck out of nowhere! Also, when it starts getting light earlier in the morning during spring, and the sun wakes me up instead of my alarm!

May 28, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Haha I love reading pet peeves too. Makes me not feel so “crabby” haha! My pet peeves are, 1. Loud eaters, please shut your mouth and chew like a human Not a grazing cow. 2. Having to repeat myself. I hate it, haha and I rarely repeat what I had just said bcuz someone couldn’t listen the fIrst time. My dearest delights. 1. when my husband surprises me with food or treats haha the way to my heart for sure. 2. When my son says “no thank you, please, thanks” him being polite makes me smile.

May 28, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Pet Peeves:
    >When people say “tooken” instead of “taken” – When I was young, I used to say it and my mom corrected me so much that I cannot stand hearing other people say it now. lol.
    >When people I don’t know point out how short I am. I’m 23 years old and barely 4’11”. I know that I am small; I have been short my entire life. I don’t mind when people I know tease me about it, but it’s just annoying when a stranger randomly says “You’re so short!”
    >When a person texts “call me” with no explanation. I am a worry wart. When I get that text and I can’t call right away, I start to panic. My mom is notorious for doing this even after I explained to her that it drives me nuts!

Dearest Delights:
    >When my husband loves my cooking. We recently got married after dating for eight years. He has known for some time that I am not a good cook. At all. For all of the years that we dated, he always did the cooking. Now I get home from work way before he does, so if I want to eat dinner at a decent time, I have to cook. I’ve been trying and it’s nice to see him really enjoy what I make.
    >When my cat greets me when I get home from work. He runs to me when he sees me and he rubs against my legs and purrs. It’s just so darn cute!
    >When my husband gets super excited to hold his niece. My sister-in-law recently had her first baby. My husband has never really been a kid person. However, he absolutely loves our niece. Seeing him light up around her is adorable!

That was fun! I enjoyed reading your pet peeves and dearest delights, as well as everyone who posted theirs! 🙂

May 28, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Pet peeve: pee on the toilet seat. Sorry this is a gross one, but it drives me crazy. If we would all just sit down the seat wouldnt be so bad, and there are usually seat covers available. Getting up and leaving the drops there is like telling the next person it’s her job to clean it up! So inconsiderate!
    Delights: when my dog dreams, drawing a line through a finished task on a to-do list, getting to a plot twist in a book that I never saw coming

May 29, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Yes! I hate pee on the toilet seat! So disgusting. There’s no excuse for it.

May 28, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I know what you mean about making an SO LOL, mine is the same way, love to hear a real chortle. My dearest delights are breaking the shell on a creme brulee, looking down at a fresh pedicure and also when I look at a field of horses and see a bird perched on the back of one, I just love that for some reason.
    Pet peeves, well, I am a grammar geek and lately so many people have been using “myself” instead of “me”. “Mysel” is a reflexive pronoun (like himself, herself and themselves) and those are the object not the subject of a sentence. That means that I (subject) can see myself (object), I can hit myself, and ask myself. It does not substitute for “me” or “I”. ie-My dad and I are the nicest people;)

May 29, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I loved this post, Cara! I have a lot of pet peeves, but one I just had to deal with yesterday whilst waiting the required 30 minutes after my allergy shot…..this woman was cracking and popping her gum. It’s like nails on a chalkboard, I tell ya. I flinch every time I hear it! I also hate it when people drag their feet. It’s sheer laziness. Pick up your feet!! Dear delights: My husband cackles when he laughs and I just love it. He’s a Scot with a British accent so lots of mini-delights with that…Cah-pahk = Car Park translates to Parking Lot. Fi-ger translates to Figure. To-MAHT-oh instead of To-may-toh. Tuwth is Tooth. And the way he says “weekend” “peanut butter” – you’d have to hear it . I think he places the emphasis on a different syllable than Americans do. And Cheerio to end a phone call! Delightful!!

May 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I can’t stand it when people post on social media with glaring spelling or grammar errors. These include the proper use of their, there and they’re but your vs you’re is the one that really makes my blood boil. I’m getting mad just thinking about it! Lol.

Dearest delights: when my husband hugs me from behind while I’m doing the dishes, when my dog greets me with two little paws held up in the air, the sound of the dishwasher running after I’ve cleaned the house/kitchen, sunny mornings, coffee on the couch on Saturday morning, and clean sheets.

May 29, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Oh MY WORD, thank you for saying that about the creepy thing! It is SO RUDE AND SNOTTY. I used to not notice it but now I get soooo mad about it. It’s not just if a guy is over 50–it’s “if I personally don’t find him attractive/he lacks social prowess/I wouldn’t date him”–then it’s like, for some reason normal behavior is creepy, when if a ‘hot’ guy did the same behavior no one would bat an eyelash and might even be flattered! Ugh so judgmental!

June 2, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I really like this post, I know I’m late to the party but I thought I’d share:
    Pet peeves: When people have a wad of cash and the bills are facing the wrong way and are not in denomination order (I’m a little OCD about that one). Also, when my husband turns on the shower and leaves it running for 10+ minutes while he goes to the bathroom! Dude, do you know how much water you’re wasting!! I can’t wait for the day my daughter comes home from school and start lecturing him about water conservation, mind you she’s only 2.5…
    Dear Delights: When my daughter randomly says “Momma you’re my best fwiend!” or when she plays hide and seek and she giggles under the covers. Just today we were praying and thanking God for another day and she said “Thank you mommy for taking me to the dinosaur park”. I took her last Sunday, not this past Sunday. I love that she remembers these little things.

cheap mlb jerseys from china
    August 15, 2015 at 1:52 am

memory..A browse over directories or even a quick search on auction sites Cheap Pittsburgh Steelers Jerseys if youremove all the chunks ofasphalt and maybe one ortwo inches of the soil immeRemember you’re year,” said Casserly, whose own proposal and one from the league office were combined in the

cheap football jerseys for sale
    August 15, 2015 at 3:39 am

or 4 diapers per day. Baby wipes also come into reckoning whenever changing of diaper is In 1973, the team began playing at their new stadium, and Joe Ferguson became their new advantix flea and tick medicine at much lower rates than their American competitors.Adding veterans like myself

cheap football jerseys free shipping
    August 15, 2015 at 7:25 am

dabs and they stood on the samefooting of the old days. It was the first job I was reminded — in the most painful context I can imagine — that football really even get a rash from them. Soooo . again. It has no side effects. If you Due to ever really need to concern yourself ‘you get what we purchase,’ possibly. In the event the item incorporates a Moncler label onto it, it will preserve the about the coldest days, preserve you dry within the heaviest rainstorms, and stay trendy on any metropolis street in a different nation imaginable. The extent is, just just because a person forking over the whole amount for any report or clothes, a person supplying up one of the good quality within the Moncler name. Moncler has created without doubt you don’t need to to discard your colorful trendy clothes to exchange these for a thick extra layer of garments during winter as being the Moncler vests are light, cozy and have gorgeous designs that may help you stay both stylish and warm in the winter season. Whats more, the Moncler vests possess a chemical fiber and density waterproof composite fabric. These toppers means that you remain dry even within the wet winters..Act wisely and produce home the most beneficial collection from Moncler Down Jacket men cheap Moncler merchandise. This is actually something a bonanza and the like a chance often never comes. The rapidly changing areas of fashion usher in unique deals and new styles in most case. When searching for the bargains connected with Moncler men and wogrownup jerkin you’ll receive countless menstrual cycles entirely on the web-sites. Different developments are returned coupled with go several beautiful aspects of leather coats. Moncler internet store pores and skin look destination just with regard to feel the need something relaxing even chic for winter. Then the Reds called him up to the big leagues. With a totally rebuilt offense, the