Hair Hair Tutorials

5 Day Hair Recipe

So you know how eating healthy without a plan is like…impossible? Unless you have a private chef or skills beyond my comprehension – if you’re gonna avoid the fast food/sweets/whatever’s easiest pitfalls you have to have a plan. If you’re really smart you’ll do “food prep” once a week where you cook, chop and make it otherwise super accessible so that later on during the week when you become busy or weak or hangry you’ll have your hard boiled eggs and chopped celery there to save you from the fall.

Well after a very successful couple of weeks doing that I started thinking that same concept really could apply to may other areas of my life. One in particular.

My hair.

Like food prep but for hair...totally gonna change my routine for life!

I figured if I could take a few extra minutes on Monday to prep my locks properly and have a plan I could probably spend the rest of the the weekdays riding those coat tails.  By the time the weekend hits I’d be ready to get a fresh do and I’d have the time and energy I’d saved from the last 4 days!

So I tried it and it was a smashing success. I thought you’d better know about it too.

I used:

Redken Windblown (I’m obsessed, I know)
 1″ curling iron
Dry Shampoo

Also for more in depth tips on how to sleep and all that check out this post

Like food prep but for hair! How to get 5 days out of one hairstyle!
signature

PS thank you so much for all your sweet comments on my previous post! It’s so nice to get support from women with many different perspectives:)

66 Comments

DublinGal
    May 19, 2015 at 5:01 am

cool, love these ideas!

April
    May 19, 2015 at 5:29 am

Quick question…..do you exercise on the weeks you plan to do this with your hair? If so, would you just use dry shampoo?

Cara
      May 19, 2015 at 11:45 am

So ya, working out can really mess this up if you sweat a ton, which I totally do. This week I was kind of on the no working out plan:( I am working out more now so I’ve been actually doing some experiments to try to find the best way to make it last the longest!

Stephanie
        May 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Definitely! My workout is what kills my hair. 🙁 I try to do a 1) straight 2) wavy 3) half/bangs up 4) top knot. That’s as far as I’ve gotten with the sweating!! It can get gnarly.. haha

Lyndsay
          May 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Always my first question when people post about not washing their hair for days and days! I live in FL (holy hot!) and work out a lot, so I’d love to hear what you find out, Cara!

alexis
    May 19, 2015 at 5:37 am

Thanks Cara! As a new mom myself, these time savers are priceless! Love your blog!

Carey
    May 19, 2015 at 6:08 am

Hi Cara! Love these suggestions, however, do you have any advice / tips for oily scalps – my hair often looks dull and greasy the next day and I’ve tried dry shampoos, but they just don’t seem to work – unless maybe I’m using them incorrectly. Thanks!

Cara
      May 19, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Have you ever tried Loreal Professional Fresh Dust? It’s really amazing for soaking up the oil without giving your hair a dull crusty finish! It makes an incredible difference

Carey
        May 19, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I haven’t yet! Thank you so much!

Kristal Mulder
        May 19, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I’m the same way…oily scalp by day 2…but also, dry ends on day 2. This has only been since I had my 5th baby…but that was 3 years ago, and now I can only get through 2 days w/o a wash and conditioner. My hair is really fine and thin, so I haven’t found an oil or cream that will condition my ends w/o washing that doesn’t make my hair look greasy on ends as well. UGH!

Sarah
    May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am

Great pony tail! I have a question about exercise too-exercising everyday, I don’t crazy sweat, but I usually screech my hair back in a pony before I start exercising at the end of the day. So the humidity to the hair from perspiring usually drops curls and any body it had. I end up feeling like by morning, I have to do so much to my hair to make it look decent it’s quicker to just wash and blow it out again. I have mostly straight hair, on the thin side. What do others do that exercise? When I’ve tried just skipping a hair wash on the weekends I don’t feel do great 🙂

Cait
      May 20, 2015 at 2:13 pm

If my hair is curled or waved I put my hair in a braid for my workout to help keep some of the curl then I put my hair dryer on low heat and speed and lightly dry my scalp and then I lighly brush any tangled areas. If it’s straight I put my hair in large no heat Velcro rollers and blow dry my scalp to help dry any sweat. When I let the rollers out I brush it lightly. If my hair looks greacy I use dry shampoo.

Aubrie @ The Blonde Chef
    May 19, 2015 at 6:15 am

I was just talking about my 5 day hair process and it seems so similar to yours! I am all about achieving the best hair with the least amount of effort and you’re right, a bit more work up front makes SUCH a difference! For any of you with super straight hair that doesn’t hold a curl first day, I put my hair up in hot rollers for volume up top (it basically makes me look like a got a professional blow out) and spritz with dry shampoo to keep it from falling flat) and then second day I follow Cara’s schedule.

Melissa
    May 19, 2015 at 6:26 am

I love NYM Clean Freak dry shampoo! I have been using it for about a year and it is by far my fav. And cheap! What did you think about it Cara? This is a great post! Especially for summer coming up.

Carey
      May 19, 2015 at 6:30 am

Where do you buy NYM? I have tried all kinds of dry shampoos and they all leave my hair looking dull and stringy.

Allison
        May 20, 2015 at 6:51 am

I actually got mine from Wal-Mart 🙂

Lauren
    May 19, 2015 at 6:40 am

Awesome post. i definitely have hair that can make it to day five, too – you convinced me I gotta put that effort in early on!

Candi kidd
    May 19, 2015 at 6:43 am

Cara, I hope you can answer this question…. What is your washing schedule? Do you wash ever fifth day or do you wash it once a week?

silvercamaro77
      May 19, 2015 at 7:22 am

Another request for your washing schedule. Also, when you’re doing 5 day hair, how hard is it to get your hair clean with Wen? I wash once a week and have been afraid of trying it because I have doubts about how effective it will be on a once a week schedule.

Sharise
        May 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

This was my biggest problem with Wen. If I went more than 2-3 days it just didn’t seem to be able to cut through the grease. I started using a regular shampoo first and then the Wen and that just seemed silly, so I finally dropped it.

silvercamaro77
      June 19, 2015 at 11:49 am

Candi- I just bit the bullet and ordered one of the seasonal Wen formulas to try (summery honey peach because my husband hates coconut anything) and I’ve only used it once so far, but the initial results are promising. I typically only wash once per week and can then go 3-4 days with my hair down before it looks bad, then I wear it up until I wash it again. I have fine-ish hair that doesn’t hold a curl for an idea of texture but it’s prone to being kind of fuzzy/flyaway like. With Wen I was still able to go the full 4 days with my hair down and I think I could have done a 5th day, but I pulled it up anyway. My hair definitely looked better (was actually shiny and smooth). Keep in mind that I’ve only used it once, so I don’t know if it’s going to continue to work for me or start building up, but so far I’m impressed and very pleased.

Michelle
    May 19, 2015 at 7:55 am

How do you sleep ( not meaning with eyes shut) but how to do your hair for bed ? In a pony ,bun ,clip or pinned? Or do you use your sister’s tuturial method like princess leah and op bun? Any “keep a style while you sleep” is appreciated!

Michelle
      May 19, 2015 at 7:56 am

meant top bun not op bun

Lindsay
    May 19, 2015 at 7:59 am

Cara, Great tips. I do the same with my hair. It takes me 40 minutes to dry my thick wavy hair and going 6 days in between washings helps with keeping the damage down. Also where is you necklace from? I LOVE it!

Tracey
    May 19, 2015 at 8:06 am

What do you do with your hair while you sleep?? I have super oily hair and love using plain old cornstarch instead of dry shampoo, then I spritz on a little perfume. Dry shampoo makes me feel like a Brillo pad!

sarah
    May 19, 2015 at 8:39 am

I’ve heard that so many scalps are just super used to being washed everyday or every other day, that they just start producing the oil so quickly in order to hydrate your scalp. I think you kind of have to train your scalp over time to not produce the oil as quickly. This might mean dealing with oily hair in between washings for a while, but over time, your scalp should stop producing so much oil. Also, using a SUPER hydrating shampoo & conditioner helps. I love sulfate-free conditioning shampoos like Wen or similar, in addition to a light leave-in conditioner. It’s the only thing that’s allowed me to go so long between washings.

liz @ btb on etsy
    May 19, 2015 at 10:03 am

I have to admit I’m a seven day-er! It sounds awful, but I have so much hair (almost to my waist band in the back) so I only have time to do it once a week. I wash Friday night and let it air dry, then Saturday morning is style time. By Wednesday it’s up in a big ol floppy messy bun.

Amy
    May 19, 2015 at 10:18 am

This kind of stuff only works if you don’t have oily hair. 🙁

jaytothehay
    May 19, 2015 at 10:21 am

Do you air dry or blow dry? Did you wash your hair that morning or the night before? Are you still using WEN?

Jess
      May 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

I would love to hear about these questions too!

Jess
    May 19, 2015 at 10:29 am

Yes, more details PLEASE!!! Please let us how you exercise and shower without the humidity ruining the curl and volume. I also have another request – let us in on your secret to looking amazing after having your babies! Diet and exercise I’m sure, but is there anything specific you have done? Does nursing help you? It definitely did not help me haha

Amy Bui
    May 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

Yay! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to give this a try…

Kristi Craig
    May 19, 2015 at 10:54 am

I’m not sure my hair could last four days without adding any dry shampoo, but I could probably go two days and not wash it until day 4. I really like this idea though!

Kristi

LAURENCE KING
    May 19, 2015 at 11:11 am

Love your 5-day routine. I’m definitely going to try it. and you look amazing by the way XO

Jessica
    May 19, 2015 at 11:11 am

Great tutorial… but it would NEVER work for me. I have fine light hair that looks super greasy after the second day of no shampooing. Your hair looks awesome all the way through day five though!

Elizabeth
    May 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

Yes! This is basically my routine!! I haven’t tied the Windblown yet but if it’s cheaper than Oribe then I’ll definitely check it out!

jaci
    May 19, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Cara- first of..love this post!
    2 questions for you my dear-
    #1.. what hair colors do you have going on? love it!
    #2..I’m interested in the food prep thing. You are looking thinner! what exactly are you going off of for meal preps? Would love any ideas!
    Thanks for all you Do!

chigh86
    May 19, 2015 at 1:44 pm

you’re a genius! My hair usually ends up in a pony day 2 but I for sure don’t wash it for another 3 days..yikesy! Can’t wait to try this out! AND the redken product

Caitlin
    May 19, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Wow, your day 4 hair looks amazing! I am definitely going to have to check out those products! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

Cassie Hahl
    May 19, 2015 at 2:53 pm

What colors do you have in your hair?

Nicole Walker
    May 19, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Love these ideas for extending your style! Thanks for sharing 🙂

AnnieH
    May 19, 2015 at 6:46 pm

love this cara! I’ve tried and bunch of dry shampoos and they all leave my hair crunchy or with residue on my dark hair but I’ve started using cornstarch and it works awesome! Just dust some on with an old fluffy makeup brush! It gives great volume too! If you find your hair looks a bit white after you can put it on at night and it will be perfect in the morning.

Courtney
    May 19, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I normally do dry shampoo the 2nd day (before I leave the house then again before bed) – could this be why I can’t get 4-5 days out of my style? I would LOVE my style to last that long!

Kate
    May 19, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I wash 1-2 times per week and exercise 3-4 times per week. I don’t sweat that much but a banana clip helps keep my hair going extra days. It doesn’t leave dents and keeps it up off my face. I really have no shame at the gym lol but I got a smaller less obnoxious clip off amazon off Amazon that isn’t so bad. Also I think using the least amount of product possible is key. Hats get me through a couple rough days too 🙂 Thanks Cara!

britta
    May 19, 2015 at 9:49 pm

My pregnancy hair was a beautiful thing… I started going about 5 days with no washing or dry shampoo and it looked great. Now 6 months after having baby my hair is in the middle of that lovely stage when it seems like it will never ever stop falling out. now it’s super thin and oily and I can barely go every other day without washing! Very frustrating. Hoping my hair grows back soon so I can see if it will last as long as my pregnancy hair did! I might have to try out dry shampoo in the meantime…

Shaylee
    May 19, 2015 at 10:37 pm

This is great! I would also love some tips on exercising! I sweat a ton and that plus showering destroys my hair! You are so cute, I love your tutorials.

Araminta
    May 20, 2015 at 1:04 am

Your hair looks lovely! Also I really like your tops, where di you get them from?

Michelle
    May 20, 2015 at 8:01 am

Do you leave your hair down at night or do you’ll it into a bun or do you pin some sections back?

mandy
    May 20, 2015 at 9:04 am

Love! I’m a 5-7 day washer (did I just admit that?!) and this is basically spot on with what I do. Quick ?: Any tips on getting brassiness out of dark hair? Our hair color is very similar but mine pulls brass BAD. I’ve tried every purple shampoo and I just bought Kevin Murphy’s purple angel conditioner (totally not worth it) and it doesn’t do squat. Help!!! xo!
    What about some fun braid tutorials??

emme
    May 20, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I have long naturally curly hair, which is really dry. I used to wash my hair every day or second day, but a few years ago I started co-washing and now I wash every fourth or fifth day. It was really hard the first month or so, but my hair and scalp adapted and now it has never been healthier. My color, which was always an ashy dark blonde, actually changed to a chestnut (weird). I would advise anyone with curly hair to give co-washing a try; that first rough month was totally worth it.

Jan
    May 20, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Love this! My only problem is the smell (don’t judge) of my head/hair by day three or four. It’s like my hair just soaks up every scent in any room I walk into. I hate the smell of dirty hair! Any suggestions on that? I’ve tried several dry shampoos that smell good, but it only holds over for about an hour and then I get whiffs of my head again.

Allison
    May 21, 2015 at 7:16 am

Batiste dry shampoo (the one you linked to) is cheaper through Ulta vs. amazon!! I LOVE batiste but i go through the bottle so quickly; for dry shampoo that is JUST AS GOOD, just as inexpensive ($5.99 @ Ulta) but has way more product per bottle, try Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak dry shampoo. It’s the best!

Cait
    May 21, 2015 at 8:34 am

Cara, where did you get your baseball tees? They’re great colors 🙂

tedisarah
    May 21, 2015 at 10:24 am

This is such a smart idea! Thank you for sharing!!

Jess
    May 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Dear Cara, you are a genius, I love you, thanks for your wonderful blog, I’m pinning this post, you’re the best, the end!

jennynoel1219
    May 24, 2015 at 12:12 am

This is so genius because I HATE washing and styling my hair! I usually do a three day recipe. Day 1: straight or curled, Day 2: braid, Day 3: messy bun. I think I will try your recipe and see if I can make it 5 days! It might be hard though I live in the South and it is already HOT!

Jess
    May 31, 2015 at 5:25 pm

How to put it up when you sleep? Or do you keep it down?

Avril
    June 17, 2015 at 9:43 am

I often go 5 days, too. Thanks for teaching me the double-layered pony! I wore it yesterday and had a lot of compliments. I also appreciate you turning me from hot rollers (which can’t do anything to my long thick hair) and back to my teen years nemesis the curling iron – it does put a lot more curl into my hair!

Aimee
    June 18, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I have dark hair that is greasy by day 2 as well. I’ve tried every dry shampoo product. The best one I’ve found so far isn’t even a dry shampoo! Lol. I swear by Make Up For Ever’s HD powder. A light dusting and its the only one that doesn’t make my hair dull, stiff, or perfumey. I can sometimes stretch out to 4 days this way. Just a tip for the other greasy ladies out there that don’t care for spray-on dry shampoos. 🙂

hishanthi
    June 27, 2015 at 7:31 am

Where did you grt those cute base ball tees…love those..link please?

Weekly Wrap-up | plandolive
    July 17, 2015 at 12:09 am

[…] you are trying to look professional while saving time, the Five Day Hair Recipe may help. I think that the Five Day Hair Recipe Heat Free would be more appropriate for the […]

Ana
    July 31, 2015 at 3:01 pm

That day 5 is A-MA-ZING!!! I feel like I’m wearing extensions, my hair looks so much longer! That’s a good thing, as I never managed to have very long hair 🙁

cheap birkenstocks online
    August 17, 2015 at 1:20 am

birkenstock australia

Stasja
    August 20, 2015 at 10:33 am

If I go five days without washing, my hair just looks super oily and sticks to my head. Not a good look. Even with the help of dry shampoo it won’t work. So I wash it every other day now and don’t use any heat on my hair. Great article btw!

top 5 inkjet printers of 2015
    August 28, 2015 at 11:06 am

It’s awesome in favor of me to have a web site, which is beneficial in favor of my
    know-how. thanks admin

Chambray Shirt Dress | Geeky Eyes
    November 23, 2015 at 9:48 am

[…] for my favorite tutorial on styling a lob haircut like mine. I also love MaskCara’s 5-Day hair recipe for easily having great hair for 5 days in between […]