My Life

The Milk

Now that I’m right in the thick of it, a lot of my day is spent just like this. Nursing Billy Bean. And It’s one of the best parts of my day and one of the happiest mama memories I have..but it wasn’t always that way…

It started out rocky to say the least.
Christian was born 3 weeks early and he would’t/couldn’t latch. I would try for hours a day. It was exhausting and I felt terrible. Each time he refused to latch I felt a little pang of rejection. I tried changing his eating schedule, using different cradling techniques, trying a shield…and everything else the lactation specialist could recommend. Finally after about two weeks of the feeding tube, he latched!
And then…he wanted to eat every hour.
After a week or so I got my first of three bouts of mastitis. I didn’t know what to look for at the time so I couldn’t catch it before it got bag. My breast became red and sore and I felt like I had the worst flu I’d ever had!
Next, and probably worst of all, I got thrush. I had no idea that I had it and just kept thinking it was a latch problem. My nipples were cracked and bleeding and Christian was still eating every hour. I would have to work myself up for each latch. Taking deep breaths before I let him and them usually trying hard not to start crying each time because the pain was so bad.
So I started pumping to hopefully heal that way and still be able to feed him breast milk. But I was alone and I Christian was very colicky so he wanted to be held constantly. Pumping took two hands so he would lie there crying while I tried to pump. By the time I was done feeding him and washing all the equipment it was almost time to start the process over again.
It was at this time that I felt like I wanted to give up.
I cried all the way to the grocery store to buy formula. I mixed up the bottle and went to feed him and I just couldn’t do it.
Trust me I know how dramatic this sounds! Looking back now I just think, RELAX just feed him formula! it’s totally fine! It wasn’t about that, though.
I was in a difficult situation and was really clinging to being able to breastfeed my baby. I think because I felt like I had so little control over so much in our lives and in our future. I couldn’t give Christian a nursery. I couldn’t afford most of the baby gear other babies could have. I couldn’t give him a lot by way of stability at home. I already felt like I’d failed him in such a crucial way.
But I could give him this. This one thing. And I was desperate not to fail at that.

I prayed that god would help me and I made the decision that I was going to stick it out. Come hell or high water. And it was at that point (around 3 months) that finally, magically, it got easy.

My thrush healed and the pain went away. I didn’t get more mastitis. And crush became a latching pro. I found out I actually LOVE nursing. I love the bonding time, it’s so nice to have this excuse every few hours to go to a quiet place and just cuddle. I love the ease! Nothing to wash, nothing to forget at home – because heaven knows if it’s not connected to my body, I will forget to bring it along! I also love looking at his chubby legs and thinking ‘dang I did that!’

As you guys know, when I love something I cannot help but share my love. I became a wanna be Le Leche League-er and would tell everyone “Just keep at it!” But it didn’t take long for me to find out that -just like everything else with parenting it seems – not all situations are the same. I talked to many mamas who were just as, if not more, determined to nurse as I was and who had to finally give it up and EVERYONE was better off when they did. Or other mamas who just didn’t have the milk and many other situations with totally different outcomes.

We all have to make the choice that feels right for you and your baby. Bottom line. What is best for you, your baby and your family.
But if sharing our experiences can help each other in any way, then it’s worth it.

Photos by Ashley Flowers Photography

R Liz
    May 15, 2015 at 4:46 am

Thanks for sharing Cara! I’m nursing my girl now as I read this and agree that if you’re able to, BFing is very rewarding for both, but it’s a tough job too! I applaud all mamas who feed their baby either by breast or formula because at the end of the day, we’re all doing what we can to keep our babies nourished.

May 15, 2015 at 4:55 am

Hi Cara, I just had my first baby – he’s 6 weeks old. He came via an emergency c-section, a traumatic experience I’ve only really just come to accept. After feeling like I didn’t really bond with him, I was looking forward to being able to breastfeed so that we could get to know each other but as soon as we got home from hospital, things got worse. Every launch was painful, had me in tears and I couldn’t bear the thought of the next feed. After many appointments with lactation consultants and now an osteopath for baby Max, things are looking and feeling good. In the wee hours of each morning, you feel so alone but I never realised that I actually had it pretty OK considering – no mastitis or thrush or bleeding. For something so ‘natural’, I can’t believe how many problems poor mothers have. Thanks for sharing your story – sharing normalises problems more and hopefully it encourages everyone to support nursing and formula mums and give them all the credit they deserve!

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 am

Great post! Thanks for sharing! After having a relatively easy timing nursing my first, I had a very challenging first 4 months with oversupply with my second baby. I recently shared my story on my blog too! Good for you for hanging in there mama!

The Busy Brunette
    May 15, 2015 at 6:35 am

I am so glad things are going well. I loved nursing and, for as much as I was ready for it to be over out of sheer exhaustion, I did miss it once it was over.
    Have a good weekend!
    “The Busy Brunette”

Liz Little
    May 15, 2015 at 6:45 am

A lot of mommas need help producing more milk. These greens have helped A LOT of my clients!

May 15, 2015 at 7:00 am

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing your special pictures! There is nothing like a momma and nursing baby bond…..I have five and have nursed four of them for their first year and it’s so special. It isn’t always easy but worth the effort if you can make it work.

Kristi Valentini
    May 15, 2015 at 7:20 am

Love your post and your determination! Motherhood is filled with challenges, and we all get initiation by fire those first few months. Wading through feedings, diaper changes, soothing to sleep, dealing with health concerns (hello jaundice, stuffy noses and diaper rash) and learning how to clip teeny-tiny fingernails – it’s all scary. I remember sobbing to my husband the first week that I was failing as a mom. And, I agree with Clare’s comment that it’s shocking that something that you think would come naturally, doesn’t. Check this page out for three different mom blog posts to help nursing newbies: I hope these posts help you new mamas out there as much as Cara’s post did!

Brittany Debity Barker
    May 15, 2015 at 7:23 am

I’m actually due any day with my 3rd (yay!) and it’s never been a question about whether I would nurse. However, I definitely took for granted that my first time was so easy, painfree, and plentiful. Thinking myself a pro, I was stunned when my second was completely comfortable rejecting me over and over again. I stayed calm and stuck with it. I nursed her for almost a year (compared to 2 with my first) before she literally said ” all done” and never nursed again. During that time I had to supplement formula the last 6 months. I was so confused because I never had a supply problem with my first, but here I was begging my body to feed my child. I tried to take those two experiences to support my sister-in-law during her first baby last year. She tried and tried, and her baby’s jaundice just got worse. The doctor kept telling her to nurse more since breast milk is a natural “healer” of jaundice. After several near hospitalization experiences, they discovered she has a rare type of breast milk that actually GIVES her baby jaundice. Mercy. So yes, even though I have no question in my mind that I will breastfeed yet again, I’m definitely more in tuned to all the many struggles that mom’s experience and that the best choice doesn’t always end in the same result.

Thanks for sharing – couldn’t have come at a better time!!

May 15, 2015 at 7:40 am

Where did you get that pretty top/dress? And your babies are So Cute!

Summer C
    May 15, 2015 at 8:05 am

Thank you for sharing! My baby is now 6 months old, and we had a long difficult road with latch issues and low supply. My supply never caught up, but I know he’s happy and healthy with the formula supplement. Even though he doesnt nurse for long, I still enjoy the connection.

May 15, 2015 at 8:13 am

I cant take the cuteness of your little guy. He might be the cutest baby I have ever seen, Great photography too!
    I had many of the same problems that you had with my first 3 babies. I would get clogs every few weeks and the pain was sometimes unbearable. I would dread the initial latch on and the first pull of the pump. I was stressed about making enough milk when I went back to work after 6 weeks. For my 4th baby, I didn’t even attempt to nurse, I went right to formula…I was more relaxed and easy going. I agree with you that we should not judge other mothers, motherhood is hard enough without the pressure from others. Thank you for always being so honest, open and positive about your life! Everyone needs the type of encouragement you give.

May 15, 2015 at 9:03 am

Beautiful pictures
    I had a similar first baby experience,it broke my heart. She also was premi, I quit after 3 months.
    My secound went so much better! I love these picture! I wish I had some as well see the satisfied look on his face? It is like nothing else your heart has felt!

Ashley H
    May 15, 2015 at 9:32 am

Gah! William is such a cutie! I’m so very thankful that nursing was so easy for me and my little guy. He’s 6 weeks old now, and I love nursing him more than I ever thought I would! Best excuse to find a quiet place to cuddle every few hours!

May 15, 2015 at 9:37 am

I’m sitting here nursing my 8 week old as I read this.

May 15, 2015 at 10:16 am

I had my oldest daughter 36 years ago and I can still remember the “toe curling” pain of having cracked nipples and latching on!!

May 15, 2015 at 11:06 am

Cara, your darling little Billy Bean could be the next Gerber baby model, and I’m not just sayin’! 🙂

May 15, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thank you for sharing your difficult story. I understand most of the pain you went thru. My daughter had tongue tie. We were stationed over seas at the time and the ENT doctor only came in every few months. Breast feeding was so incredibly painful for me, I thought for sure my nipples were literally going to come off. My Zoe couldn’t latch properly so, I did the same thing you did; I would mentally prepare myself, take deep breaths and try to steady myself while she nursed to hold the tears back. But I’m really stubborn and wasn’t about to give up. I felt like you, it’s the only thing I could really control. I held out until she was 4 months, cracking, bleeding nipples and all. Then we came to visit family in the states, that flight was excruciating! She pretty much nursed the whole 14 hours of travel. We made an appointment with a pediatrician on the local base and got a referral to an ENT. They clipped her tongue, I felt so guilty. She cried and it bled so so much. I put her to my breast she struggled to latch at first but she FINALLY latched and it wasn’t the most painful thing ever. We stuck with it, she is now 20 months and we are still going strong. I love nursing my baby and we have a super strong bond. I know that sometimes breastfeeding isn’t always an option and that’s ok, I agree with you, what works best for mom baby and family is what is the best choice.
    I also wanted to say your family is so beautiful! And I still follow this blog almost religiously, your tips have helped me become better with makeup and I feel more beautiful and confident than I have in a really long time. I love your blog!!

liz @ btb on etsy
    May 15, 2015 at 11:11 am

My little guy (now 3 years old) had a “tied tongue”. His frenulum, the “string” under his tongue, when from the floor of his mouth up to the tip of his tongue making it heart shaped. It made latching on nearly impossible. I cried every time I even thought about nursing. It was like having a hot poke stuck on my nipple every two hours. I would pray for him to stay asleep as long as possible so that I wouldn’t have to go through the hell of trying to get him latch on. When I did try I would cradle him with one arm and punch the couch or bed next to me just to stop myself from tearing him off of me. It was awful.

After three weeks of this I decided to take the Dr’s advice and have a frenectomy done. They snipped the little sting in an extremely quick procedure, but it didn’t help him latch on. I felt like a failure and a horrible person for having his tongue snipped when it didn’t even help him latch. I was so depressed that I would just cry all day thinking about it. I finally decided to pump exclusively and kept that up for the first year. It was exhausting, but I was determined to get my milk to that boy any way I could.

I believe with every bone in my body that pumping and bottle feeding saved our relationship. Mamas, ya gotta do what ya gotta do for you and baby! We all have our own struggles and we absolutely need to support each other in our decisions. When it comes down to it, we all want what’s best for our babies.

Sara Frechette
    May 15, 2015 at 11:47 am

I had a similar nursing experience. With my firstborn daughter Jillian, I didn’t try. I can’t say why exactly, but I just didn’t. Things were great with formula though, and she grew perfectly (she’s 13 now and in the talented and gifted program at school!). With my middle son Benjamin, I decided I wanted to try. Things went terribly and I gave up after only a week (we had just found out that he had congenital hypothyroidism and it was a really stressful, terrifying time. So formula it was! He’s in TAG too with his sister). Finally, with my last baby, my Nathaniel, I was determined to make it work. It was awful. I met with many different lactation consultants, la leche, his pediatrician, my OB. His latch was perfect, but something wasn’t right. It just hurt SO much. I know exactly what you’re talking about when you had to take a deep breath, try not to cry. We finally found out that we had thrush, too. We tried medication from the doctor and even gentian violet that a lactation consultant recommended. Nothing helped. It got to the point where I was starting to resent my baby a little. I hate even typing that. It makes me feel so bad/sad/awful. After two months of trying, I quit. Suddenly, I wanted to hold my baby again. I was happy, he was happy, I healed, it was what I needed to do. Was I still sad I couldn’t make it work? Yeah, yeah I was. But, it was the best choice for us and I’ve made my peace. lol, it’s only nursing, but still, it’s so crazy the emotion that’s attached! With that being said, I totally understand where you are coming from and I’m so happy that nursing is working out for you! It’s such a truly beautiful thing. Your family is gorgeous, and these pictures are amazing! Could there be a more beautiful baby!? (other than mine, of course;) lol! Great job, mama! <3

May 15, 2015 at 12:07 pm

He is seriously the prettiest baby ever!!!

May 15, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Those Eyes!!

Sandy K
    May 15, 2015 at 12:43 pm

with my first daughter I was nursing and she wasn’t gaining weight. I felt like a failure and I wanted to do everything “right” with my baby. At about 2 weeks of age, I just decided “I’m going to relax and enjoy this baby”. At her next doctors appointment, she’d gained 2 lbs! I can so identify with your feelings during those first few weeks….

May 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm

As a PA (well almost! Graduating Monday!) I am extremely grateful for this post. As I have not had children of my own, this will give me perspective as I work with my patients in the future.

Cassie T - Lovely Weeds
    May 15, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I feel the same way about chubby legs! I take so much pride in every little roll on my baby girl, it makes them so much sweeter to kiss :). I think sharing real, honest stories about breastfeeding is so important. In all the effort by doctors, etc. to encourage breastfeeding, they leave out some of the less sunny sides of it so they don’t scare women off. But if you don’t know about things like thrush and mastitis and the fact that for some people it just hurts for a few weeks (no matter how good the latch), you might just think you’re doing it wrong and give up anyway. HONEST education is so important.

May 15, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Feeding my daughter was very traumatic for me those first few weeks. She wanted to eat constantly, she was colicky, she refused to take a bottle EVER, my nipples were a disaster- they were so cracked they reminded me of the grand canyon, and I cried from the pain every single time. It was horrible. I had no family other than my husband and I had no idea what I was doing. I had no support system as none of my friends had kids and I didn’t know what was normal and to be expected. A part of me really wanted to just feed her formula but I kept hearing “breast is best” and felt that I would be judged as a horrible mom for giving it to her. Thankfully it got better and I can now look back with fond memories, but I wish that there had been someone I could talk to or even relate to. All of my friends have kids now and we have a judgment free zone to complain, ask questions and get advise. I still wish that people were more open about the trials of pregnancy and motherhood.

I’m glad that it worked out for you in the end.

May 15, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Oh Ca. This is so similar to my experience with my first child I feel as if I could have written it. My son had trouble latching. And my milk didn’t come in right away. Then he got thrush and I got thrush in my nipples. It was all so much more difficult than I expected. It made me feel like a failure. I cried about giving him formula and worried so much. The worst part is the loneliness. I wish I would have known you then to help you through hat part. So you would know that it would all be ok.

May 15, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. Before I had my baby, who is now almost 6 months old, all I worried about physically was the labor and delivery process. I didn’t even think about how hard breastfeeding could be. Though things are great now, the first months were so hard. My nipples were cracked and bleeding (once my baby came away from eating with blood all around his mouth and ended up spitting up blood – mine! It was horrifying! I was just so used to the pain I didn’t realize how that I was bleeding that much!) and I’ve had mastitis twice. I finally couldn’t take it anymore and cried when we first gave him formula. Now he eats about half breastmilk and half formula throughout the day. I do love the bonding and the quiet time. I’m so glad you posted about this; it’s helpful to hear that I’m not alone in my troubles!

Karen Haskins
    May 16, 2015 at 8:46 am

Cara, I gotta tell you…. that Billy Bean is one precious little guy! His eyes are gonna be girl killers when he is older. I have a 10 month old grandson, and I marvel every day at his awesomeness. My own babies are 31 and 29 now… and I still look at them and say, “Dang, I did that!” 🙂 The beauty of the miracle never goes away.

You have a beautiful little family. <3

May 16, 2015 at 9:28 am

Thanks for sharing your story. Your baby is adorable!

Also, where did you get this robe and also the one in your last post about “the cure”? I love them both and I’m 1 week from my due date, looking for a comfy robe and I love that they are short sleeved for the summer. Thanks!

joanna marie
    May 16, 2015 at 10:24 am

your baby is beyond precious! those eyes!! and yes, i agree, breastfeeding rocks for those who can! I breastfeed my little lady for 15 months.

May 16, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Aww my second baby boy is 6 months old and he’s sleeping on me as I read this. I never had really any problems with breastfeeding but I know how hard those precious first few months can be.

May 16, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Your baby is beautiful! Just wanted to put in a plug for hands-free nursing bras, available at Target and Amazon. They make pumping so much easier!

May 17, 2015 at 3:11 am

Hi Cara! Thank you for sharing your story. I tried to breastfeed my firstborn, but I just didn’t have the milk. I also couldn’t get my son to latch. It made me feel rejected, too. I felt like I was worthless and gross and believed my baby son felt that way, too. It was hard. I didn’t really try much with my daughter, I pumped the milk, but I didn’t get much out. I gave up and bottle fed her. I had to get a very expensive special formula for her, though, because she had terrible digestive problems and had extreme difficulty with gas and pooping. (The formula cost $20 a can). Her doctor had my now ex husband and I stick a thermometer up her bum a little ways to get her bowels to contract and push the poop out. That was awful, she cried and screamed each time. It really was hell for a while. We gave her Mylanta and Mylicon Drops in her bottle to prevent gas. It was the only thing that worked and gave her comfort and peace. For us too! I am glad it’s working for you! That is so wonderful! My oldest sister knew all kinds of breastfeeding things from Le Leche League. She breastfed her babies for a long time. I wish I could have had a good milk supply, but I never did sadly. My mom had 10 kids and she never had a good milk supply either, she had to bottle feed.

May 17, 2015 at 3:16 am

P.S. Your baby boy is soooo beautiful!! My what big eyes he has! 😉 A model in the making! Just like Christian!! 🙂

May 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

He is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen and I am so sorry your first time around was so difficult!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    May 17, 2015 at 10:06 pm

First of all your little guy is so cute! Secondly, I love nursing so much and I couldn’t agree more with what you have said!

May 18, 2015 at 7:11 am

Oh my, what a rough road you had! I had some hard times but nothing close to yours. I did deal with cluster feedings too and the pain at first was truly toe curly, oh my gosh! I know the pressure today is so high to be a perfect mother, it seems unfair most time. So telling mamas that what is best for you and your baby is all that matters and there is no “on size fits all” approach to parenting, is so important. Thanks so much for sharing!

May 18, 2015 at 8:58 am

You just described my last 4 months! Breastfeeding was not as easy as I imagined but it has been worth it. I am currently battling thrush. Any tips?

May 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm

YES! Get to the DOC and get some Anti fungle or Newmans Own Nipple ointment. and be sure to go amazon woman whenever possible (meaning hang out topless haha) the air kills it better than anything!

May 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Bless your heart. Hang in there, mama!

May 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm

What a beautiful baby! He looks like the Gerber baby in that first shot.

It’s amazing the differences between babies. Everything was so much easier the second time around for me. There’s a point where we become confident in our mom skills and are able to let go of unachievable expectations we set for ourselves. I do the best I can and try not to lose any sleep at night for it.

Amy Bui
    May 18, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Such precious moments. I’m not a mom but I still thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. =)

May 18, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. Your babies are precious! I had feeding issues with my first due to him being tongue tied. We eventually overcame the challenges for a bit, but definitely not easy and glad I stuck with it. He’s now three and Im due with my second any day now and im staying positive! Totally off topic, but where did you get the top you’re wearing? 🙂

May 18, 2015 at 8:56 pm

you and i have similar paths. Instead my ex husband was physically abusive/addict. After I had my first I went back to work and would work 120 hours in a pay period. I was pumping every two hours. Nursing is a full time job. My first was born early as well and was in the NICU. It took me a month and half to get her to latch on. It was the hardest month and half of my life. I would pump as much as I could because I too couldn’t give her a nursery. I could barely afford a carseat and it was a used one at that. So nursing was my way of making sure She got the nutrition she needed. I got divorced and now am remarried to my prince charming. My baby is 6 weeks old and she latched on right away. Unfortunately she is a power sucker and causes blood blisters. I am not kidding. It took me a full month to stop crying after she would latch. Pumping I would just have to pump and dump because my milk would be full of blood. I have finally found the comfort in nursing. I nursed my first for 14 months. I plan on nursing my second for as long I did with my first.

Rachel Alyse Thomas
    May 19, 2015 at 7:45 am

Your story is so much like mine. I found myself nodding my head with everything you wrote. My little girl is now 6 months and I am still breastfeeding her along with feeding her purees. I am so glad I stuck it out in those earlier weeks. I remember having to pump myself up mentally before each time she would latch on. My toes would curl with the pain. I had mastitis twice with one of of them being accompanied with thrush. It was so hard. My nipples were so raw, cracked, and bleeding. I remember crying when my milk would let down. But quitting never crossed my mind. I am so glad I stuck it out. But I do not judge the women who have tried and had to resort to feeding with formula. My heart goes out to them. Thank you for sharing your story. And oh my goodness, your son is gorgeous just like his mama.

May 19, 2015 at 9:29 am

Have you heard of milk stones? It is jewlery made from your breast milk; earrings, necklaces, pendants, etc. My sister has a shop on etsy and she makes some really great stuff, including milk stones (She does not advertize the milk stone on etsy, you’d have to message her), but isn’t that a special way to honor, remember, celebrate such a wonderful thing mothers are able to do?! The website to her shop is

May 19, 2015 at 9:34 am

I was a lucky few that nursed two boys easily. I think many women do not realize that it can be very difficult to nurse. In my area our hospital has an amazing Leache nurse, who has helped many new mom’s that I know. Sharing stories like yours help new mom’s realize it is not just them, who struggle with nursing.
    New mom’s often fantasize of how life is with a new born, but lets face it, it is hard! We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be a certain definition of perfect.
    I am glad to hear your nursing with the new cutie is going so well. Enjoy!

May 19, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Oh my gosh, this story broke my heart! I am so proud of you for sticking with it. I love you and your blog, you have a beautiful heart. Thanks for your sincerity and tips, I can’t wait to use your makeup! Once I get a little extra cash it will be coming your way!

May 19, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I love that you shared this. I would never ever shame a mama who used/uses formula, but your story may help some moms ‘hang in there’ who really want to be able to breastfeed their babies. I have nursed three babies for over a year each and I think with each of them I had a time like you did when it was not going well and I just had to stick to the commitment to do it. Nursing is a LOT of work!!!! I think women (myself included!) are surprised by that when they have their first baby, and think they can’t do it if they hit a bump in the road. Thanks again for sharing. I really appreciate that you were willing to address this topic and in such a gracious way. And OH. MY WORD. Those eyes are unbelievable. Your baby is gorgeous and those pictures couldn’t be more beautiful. Blessings to you and your family!

Sale Picks! | Maskcara
    May 20, 2015 at 9:55 am

[…] threw that last one from free people in #12 because I wore it in my Milk post and a few of you guys were asking about it. I bought it for $78 and it’s on sale right now […]

May 21, 2015 at 8:50 am

Thank you for writing this article. I’ve read your blog (and loved it) for a while but never commented before. I just had too after this.
    My gorgeous daughter is nearly 6 months and feeding well but I had a rocky start to BF triggered by an emergency c section. I felt so alone when all the information and medical professionals just kept telling me to keep trying to BF and such a failure when I had to give her some formula. Eventually things settled down and I’ve managed to BF and enjoy it but I had friends for whom it just didn’t happen and the guilt feelings have been terrible. People sharing their stories hopefully will help new mums understand everyone is different and not to panic if BF isn’t right for you it’s not the end of the world and you are still a great mum.

Thanks cara x

May 23, 2015 at 7:24 am

Thank you so much for sharing and for your honesty. I’m a first time mom, two months in and struggling with breast feeding. I’m pretty determined to keep it up but it’s sure been a challenge and has been very disheartening at times. Thank you so much for sharing!

May 23, 2015 at 6:04 pm

This is my 3rd baby and it’s only because I’ve had so many issues before with breastfeeding that I could handle this hungry baby boy and the unpredictability that comes with breastfeeding. I share so many of the same feelings you’ve had Cara, and I’m so glad I was able to stumble across this post. Thanks for sharing! I’m very proun of my 15 pound 6 week old!! Mr. Chubbers!! 😉

May 25, 2015 at 4:02 am

thanks for sharing. I very recently went through basically the same situation with my first daughter. Wouldn’t latch the whole first week. My back muscles were so sore from tensing up, hunched over trying to get her to latch. So stressful. Then we got thrush and didn’t heal for 7 weeks!!!! never got mastitis, but several clogged ducts. and now she just turned 7 months and we’re battling thrush again. Some people tell me to stop breastfeeding, but i also love it. SO hard sometimes!!!

May 25, 2015 at 5:49 am

Congratulations on the new baby and for sticking it out with nursing! Be proud of your accomplishment! I’m proud of you!

Tenisha Maloney
    May 29, 2015 at 10:25 am

Omg i knoow the feeling! I have a 4month old one now, love him! What a warrior you are, so impressive! Thank you for sharing, bless you and your lovely children

May 31, 2015 at 6:19 am

I’m glad u posted this! I got on here this morning to get on your beauty index for make up ideas today and seen this. I nursed my first 1 yr exactly and now nursing my 8.5 mo old. It really is great!

June 1, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I am also nursing my sweet little boy! Are the sonnet James dresses nursing friendly?

July 9, 2015 at 7:24 am

Hi Cara,

Love your caftan! Could you please suggest where I can get a similar one? Thank you!

September 5, 2015 at 10:43 pm

My sister in law just told me about your blog and I’m loving it! I have a very similar situation to what you have been through and I’m glad to see that you found happiness and there’s hope! Thank you for writing!