Hair Hair Tutorials

Longer lasting & Silkier Curl Tricks

If you know me you know that I am ALLLLLL about making my spiff time count to its fullest. So I want to make sure my curls last and last.
I have a couple of tricks that not only keep it from falling flat for longer but they also make the girls shinier and silkier. And it’s not gonna take much more time or cost you any dolla bills (<— seems to be William’s new nick name around the house! What is it about babies that just require you call them something different every time you look at them? Or is it just me?)

Back to the tricks.

#1 Warm the hair first by sliding it through the curling iron before you curl. This will keep you from getting clamp marks, flatten the cuticle (which makes it shine), and prep the hair so it’s more likely to keep it’s shape

#2 Twirl it the direction of the curl as you lay it down. This puts the hair is a soft spiral as its cooling and if you’ve ever struggle with keeping curl in your hair you know that what it does in the cooling process is KEY. It sets it just like a curler would.

Let me just show ya…

Jessica Janae Photos

I used the T3 1.25″ in this demo. I really do love it because the clamp is very light so it makes sliding the hair through it very easy and smooth. If you are budgeting though I wouldn’t stress too much about getting an iron that expensive. I think Hot tools curling irons are AWESOME. I see them all the time in backstage events or being used by celebs (when I’m stalking on youtube or something) and they are much more affordable.

Also I wanted to write a little something to all of the writers of the beautiful and sweet Mother’s day nominations. I received HUNDREDS of them and read every single one and was truly touched. It was soo difficult to choose and I found myself trying to brainstorm some way where I could just do them all! (I will be doing more things like this so I will keep you in mind in the future for sure!) Thank you so so much for sharing your mothers, sisters, friends and wives with me. What an honor to read about them.

I can’t wait to share our makeover day with you next week:)

The Busy Brunette
    April 30, 2015 at 5:41 am

You seriously have the most beautiful hair. I love your tips and tricks. They are so, so helpful!!
    Have a great day!

“The Busy Brunette”

Sarah Piuggi
    April 30, 2015 at 6:15 am

I just had to say how GORGEOUS you look!! Seriously amazing & thanks for the wonderful tips!

Sarah | QueSarahSera

April 30, 2015 at 6:16 am

My hair really sucks for curling. I have to use a flat iron to curl, and I have to do super messy, loose curls. I always let my curls cool for a good hour (I know I don’t need to let it cool that long) before I touch them, but if I even slightly run my fingers through my curls, they fall out instantly. I normally barely push my fingers up on the root area to try and loosen my curls without running my fingers through them. If I go outside with curled hair and there is any small amount of wind, bye bye curls! I have used curling cremes and such, as well as hairsprays, I’ve tried it without anything in my hair, everything! I have no luck in this department, and all I want is a head of curls. Lol. I’ve also tried the tricks above. I’ve had a few perms done, and I went 3 days without washing my hair after, on the 4th day I washed my hair and the curls/perm were gone. Do you have any tips for a girl with the limpest hair on earth?
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

April 30, 2015 at 6:33 am

I don’t use curling irons with clamps, I like to use the NuMe wands. I don’t know I just think that the clamps look scary and I wouldn’t know how to do it properly !

April 30, 2015 at 6:33 am

I usually use my flat iron to curl as well. But I was recently thinking I’d like to get a curling iron when I wanted to make more loose waves. The Hot Tools one you linked too seems like a great one at a great price. Any suggestion for a barrel size? My hair is pretty thick and longish (past my shoulders). Thanks!

Emerald Earrings
    April 30, 2015 at 7:33 am

How do you sleep on your hair to preserve the curl? Even if I put mine up in a soft scrunchie they still end up looking pretty ratty the next morning :/ Would desperately love some good advice!!

Caitlin Lagemann
    April 30, 2015 at 7:38 am

How do you preserve your hair style when you sleep?
    My hair style is gone when I wake up no matter what I’ve tried!

April 30, 2015 at 8:50 am

Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with your hair/genetics. My hair won’t hold a curl for more than a few hours, but I bought some hair extensions (real hair) to try them out and they hold curl for days. If I run my fingers through my hair, the curls come right out and I have tried everything, but these extensions, they just hold the curl through combing and wearing and everything. Whoever had that hair is a lucky lucky girl.

April 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I’m not an expert but I have a few suggestions for making curls stay. Use a smaller barrel, like an inch or LESS. Flat irons actually curl my hair quite a bit less than curling irons do. If I want loose beachy waves, I use my flat iron. Lightly misting hairspray before you curl, letting it dry, then gently combing it out has helped me, but I also feel like it fries my hair. Last, damaged hair can do much more than healthy hair can, so get some blonde highlights put in by a professional! 🙂

Emerald Earrings
      May 1, 2015 at 8:18 am

I definitely agree with that – damaged hair styles so much better than healthy hair. One of those Murphy’s Laws I guess :/

April 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Your makeup is stunning! Can you do a tutorial of this look? Thanks! Enjoy your day!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    April 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Your hair is gorgeous! I love your curls 🙂

May 2, 2015 at 12:31 am

Where did you get your earrings from? Love them! I’ve been looking for bar earrings like that and I can never find any.

Weekly Reads and Fun Finds {5/2} - Sweet Tooth Sweet Life
    May 2, 2015 at 3:59 am

[…] Longer Lasting & Silkier Curl Trick via Maskcara (ß love Cara’s blog!) […]

May 3, 2015 at 7:14 pm

This sounds amazing, I will have to try it out!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

February 3, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Lots of great tips!!! Thanks can’t wait to try the curls and tanning tips