Makeup Tips & Tricks Tutorials

Get Swift

Makeup and beauty have always been more of a hobby for me in my own life than they have ever been a necessity.
For most of my teens and twenties I took a sort of pride in the fact that I could look like a death warmed over half the time and a total wannabe super model the other half (OK so it was more like DWO 80% of the time and hottie %20 but you get the drift) There really was no in between for me. Either I spend zero time getting ready or half the afternoon.

Then I had a kid.

And half the afternoon makeup sessions were but a fond memory. So I had to downsize a bit.

Then I had two kids.

boys

And half an hour makeup sessions became a coveted for slice of day that was RARELY presenting itself.
So I started rocking the legit “I woke up like this” every. single. day.

Here’s the thing: I feel better, treat people better, smile more, am a better mom, am more outgoing and (oddly enough) think about the way I look LESS when I look put together.
So I decided to come up with some CLUTCH strategies that would encourage me to take a few minutes in the morning, every morning to look nice.

So I could ‘get pretty and get on with it’ I needed four things:

A beauty routine that:

• takes under 12 minutes a day TOTAL. Including hair, makeup and outfitting.
  • takes very few products. (rummaging through my makeup to find things is time consuming)
  • takes very little thought.
  • is fun.

Kind of asking a lot but I was up for the challenge!

I started with tackling the makeup part. Obviously:) SO I asked the unicorn sisters (also known as Janae & Jamie of amazingly talented artist fame) to help and here’s what we came up with.

The Swiftest Makeup Challenge.

swiftmakeup
In which I do my makeup whilst rocking out to, and only during the duration of, a Taylor Swift song.
This makeup video is in real time. No cuts, no speed ups. I will say that I cheat by having lash extensions (we will talk about that later) but I makeup up for mascara time with a lot of (incredibly awkward) dancing and hair flipping.

Makeup used in video: IIID Foundation walnut (contour) + sunlit (highlight) + pink grapefruit  (blush & lips) + pearl (illuminator)
MAC Brun on the brows, Naturally Pretty Palette on the eyes.
Too Faced Milk Chocolate Bronzer for a little extra color on my cheeks.

Now I challenge you to do the same! (you can’t possibly be as dorky as me. not a chance)
If you do and you post it on any social media outlet with the hashtag #swiftestmakeup you will be entered to win
THE ENTIRE BEAUTY CAPSULE!

swiftest_makeup

(you don’t have to post the whole thing! Just a snippet will do!) You have a 1 week to do it!! I am SOOOO excited to see your videos!

signature

98 Comments

Emma
    April 8, 2015 at 4:11 am

This was super cute, doubt I’d look like that after one song though! I’ll practice. Haha. Ps. Is your hair one block colour or do you have highlights/foils? It’s stunning!

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 11:30 am

Thank you so so much! It really is minimal makeup but it makes me feel so much better! It’s one color but it’s a semi permanent put over highlights so the highlights show through…if that makes sense! haha

Nicole Walker
    April 8, 2015 at 4:55 am

Loved watching your video! That’s tough to get all your makeup done within a Taylor Swift song, I’m impressed girl!! And the products you used looks awesome, I have been dying to get my hands on your HAC palette…

xoxo Nicole

Kiss & Make-up
    April 8, 2015 at 5:20 am

I wish I get ready that fast! But I just can’t. I loved the video though 🙂

Danielle
    April 8, 2015 at 5:21 am

Love this! I am a mom of two too, so I love tips to make my routine quicker! also, love that song! 🙂

Angie S
    April 8, 2015 at 6:12 am

The dancing gift is the cutest thing ever. You’re adorable!

nicolelindseyj
    April 8, 2015 at 6:44 am

loved your video!! Does a post to YouTube count as social media for this??

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 10:34 am

THANK YOU!! Yes youtube totally counts! 🙂

LadyBlessedbyGod
    April 8, 2015 at 7:08 am

Cara, you are such a fantastic person! The goodness in your soul shines thru your eyes! I am an older gal of 50, but hey, these tips can help me as well. You always make me smile. have a good week.

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 10:51 am

You are so so sweet! Thank you for the smile in return! <3

jenine482
    April 8, 2015 at 7:15 am

I love this! Taking a moment everyday for yourself is so importance, I notice a different for sure on days when I don’t. Thank you for the fun reminder, you’re amazing.

Amanda
    April 8, 2015 at 7:18 am

This is super cute. Thank you! I just received my HAC in the mail and trying to figure out how to wear it. LOL

Cindy
    April 8, 2015 at 7:22 am

Ok, that was just about the cutest thing in the world ever – and started my day off just right!

Amanda Franks
    April 8, 2015 at 7:42 am

So cute! I’m dying to try your HAC Pac, and I sure wish that I would look half as good after one song too!

Michelle Bell
    April 8, 2015 at 7:55 am

LOVED THIS! Your hair looks amazing, too! What do you do with it at night, if you’re not planning on washing it? Do you do a bun or leave it down or something else?

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 10:57 am

I have something for hair coming soon with ALLL the details of making that hair last 5 days!! So be excited!

silvercamaro77
        April 9, 2015 at 10:26 am

Psyched about this! My hair usually gets popped into a ponytail because that’s all I have time left to do.

Lauren A
    April 8, 2015 at 8:15 am

Love this! Thanks for keeping it “Mom Real!”

Emerald Earrings
    April 8, 2015 at 8:15 am

Love this so much! Is a Taylor Swift song mandatory? 🙂

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 10:56 am

haha thank you1 No Taylor is a suggestion not a requirement! 🙂

Hannah
    April 8, 2015 at 8:20 am

Your hair looks great! Is that the same hairstyle from your “Exciting News and Pretty Hair” post? I love how big and voluminous it is! Any product recommendations for that? Thanks!

Jen
    April 8, 2015 at 8:29 am

I’m going to try this, because my makeup routine has been getting longer and longer. One thing I did that saves me some time is to dye my eyebrows (super carefully). I have thick eyebrows naturally, but once I hit 40 they seemed sparse. I dyed them and it’s like I took 15 years off. Awesome! All the hair was there, just not as dark as it used to be. It wasn’t grey just weird no color.

Kelly
      April 8, 2015 at 6:00 pm

As a blondie with practically white brows, I’m dyeing to do this (pun intended

Lela
    April 8, 2015 at 8:56 am

I love this more than I even thought possible.

Bea
    April 8, 2015 at 9:11 am

So fun to watch! It’s inspired me to spend a few precious minutes on me…while rockin out!

Rebecca C
    April 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

I was smiling like such a goof watching this! So fun & of course beautiful as always!!

Tessa
    April 8, 2015 at 9:30 am

This was so fun to watch! When I’m doing my makeup I instantly become a jungle gym with two toddlers harassing me and my makeup bag! You are gorgeous inside and out and I love how vulnerable and real you are! It’s definitely inspiring 🙂 thank you!

Natalie
      April 10, 2015 at 8:23 am

Me, too. I take my makeup bag in the car, then do my makeup in the parking lot once we’ve arrived. The kids are strapped in their seats so no grabby hands! I usually have less timenc than a Taylor Swift song (and it’s usually Raffi, anyway) but it has made my mornings much more manageable.

Amy
      September 5, 2015 at 9:16 am

Yeah, I get less than half a song while they’re strapped in eating breakfast (any longer than that and I’m cleaning up the bowl, spoon, sippy cup, bib….all on the floor. So…I can do the brows.

Cory
    April 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

I feel like I’m doing all the same steps with my HAC palette, but don’t see the highlight and contour areas as prominently as when you do it. Maybe I’m not using enough product???

Lauren
    April 8, 2015 at 10:22 am

Absolutely obsessed with this video and the HAC pack! I love how you act silly and don’t take yourself too seriously its so refreshing and fun to see! and it helps that you’re so gorgeous and have an amazing makeup line! HACer for life! 🙂

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    April 8, 2015 at 10:22 am

You are just so awesome! And you look gorgeous as usual 🙂

nicole
    April 8, 2015 at 10:53 am

you are the cutest!

Elizabeth
    April 8, 2015 at 11:19 am

This is so fun and cute!

Sara
    April 8, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Where is your shirt from?! I was hoping you would post it so I didn’t have to sound too creepy stalkerish asking. But I’m all about just a tshirt that looks a bit nicer then a tshirt. Ya know? And I need your skills. I totally agree that putting yourself together makes a world of difference. But I’m the same as you used to be- all or nothin. And sadly with five kids, the nothin happens more then it should (as I’m currently sitting here in yesterday’s makeup)

Cara
      April 8, 2015 at 12:27 pm

good news it’s from Forever21! Such a cute shirt too! http://rstyle.me/n/y46jzq2bn

Tracy
        April 9, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Love it! Did you order true to size? I like how it is baggy on you.

Jen
    April 8, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Love this look! I am the same way, I am either all or nothing and definitely have a hard time finding a middle ground. After watching how quickly this went on I am super excited to try your foundation!!

Nicole
    April 8, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hi Cara,

I am enjoying the contouring, blush and sparkle. However, I need help with the highlight. My pores are emphasized (a-lot) when doing the highlight, and without the foundation they are not noticeable at all… eeek! What would help? I have been working on moisturizing a lot, Beautiful Montana where I live is very dry. Perhaps a primer? Any ideas? Thank you for your time!!! I really want to love this product, but need help getting it all to work together. xoxo

Jess
    April 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm

You are the best! I love this!

cindy
    April 8, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Love it!

Dee
    April 8, 2015 at 1:12 pm

You’re so cute, thanks for showing a “swift” way to get ready! 🙂

Shannon Mayforth
    April 8, 2015 at 1:28 pm

This is great! I plan to use this when my baby #2 comes in June

Kristina Galley
    April 8, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Can I just say, you are fabulous! I was cracking up during this video because this is honestly what I do when I have the music blasting in the morning, I just love it. Can you do a tutorial on how you did your hair? I do mine very similar but yours just looks 10x better! If there is already a tutorial out there, can you post the link? Thank you so much!! xo

Cameo Bell
    April 8, 2015 at 1:49 pm

What did you use right at the end?

Hayley
    April 8, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Is that the too faced bronzer you used at the end?

tabbskrazy
    April 8, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Does the entry have to be a video? lol I realize that’s a silly question because probably right, but just making sure I don’t video myself doing 5 second makeup for no reason 🙂

Tayler Mitchell
    April 8, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I just posted mine on Instagram! Although I just read that we have a week to do it… I might have to do a re-do since my baby is attacking the camera and that was the best I could get today!

Anyway, I love everything about this post! You’re my most trusted beauty blogger that I follow so I’m crossing my fingers I win the beauty capsule! It would be a dream. 🙂

Megan
    April 8, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Loved that. I get confused where to put bronzer after HAC-ing.. any tips on that?

I loved my eyelash extensions and they made the makeup routine that much faster but its scary how damaging they are to our natural lashes. Despite being told many times over that they dont harm the lashes.. natural fall-out, growth cycle, bla bla.. I JUST got my lashes back (using Latisse for 3 months) after wearing extensions for 6 months… never again! I like using the ardell individual lashes to boost and give drama when I want it.

crystalqevents
      April 16, 2015 at 11:18 am

I just got lash extensions a week ago. I certainly hope my lashes aren’t ruined when I’m done with lash extensions. I’m so nervous now!

Heather
    April 8, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this video. I finally had enough courage to try my IIID makeup this morning. I need to keep practicing, but this video really helped me see how little time it could take. Thank you!

yayparties
    April 8, 2015 at 4:24 pm

YOU! …have already changed my whole makeup routine and I love it! I’ve been following you for a while now….loved your makeup then, INFATUATED with your new makeup formula now! Thank you for helping us busy Mamas look bangin!!

Stormimay
    April 8, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Wow. That was….confusing. But good! It was good! It’s just that this is exactly the type of thing I’ve been needing from you. Reading your blog has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure…with my budget and time crunch (I have 9 kids I homeschool and a micro-farm) I never thought I’d be able to afford the money or time to do what you show. (Though I have picked up a few tips and stopped over-plucking my eyebrows, thank you!) Then I saw this post, got all excited, and watched you do a whole bunch of stuff I didn’t recognize with items I wasn’t sure which was what. Perhaps if I paid better attention to your previous posts? My makeup routine is mostly spent on my eye area, and I never ever thought I would have time or money for contouring. Would you be willing to write out more instructions in a future post? Even if not, thank you! (and you were totally cute.)

mare
    April 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm

That was adorable.

Can you tell us the color you were sweeping on the lower lid from the it palatte?

maria
    April 8, 2015 at 5:37 pm

You are an amazing soul! Thanks for brightening the darkest of days through the expression of makeup.. Look forward to every new post !

Lauren
    April 8, 2015 at 6:00 pm

You are the coolest ever!!!! Seriously! I want to enter this so bad but there is NO WAY I could do all of my make up to one song! I’m impressed! You look gorgeous. You are my favorite!!

Mildred
    April 8, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Love it, love you and everything you do for women ace beauty! ♡

staceymcd9903
    April 8, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I NEED NEED NEEEEEDDDD a tutorial on you get your hair to look like that!! Gorgeous!

Danielle
    April 8, 2015 at 6:53 pm

That was adorable and impressive!

Kelly R
    April 8, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Awesome! More than happy to post to my facebook–if for no other reason to motivate women to take a few minutes for themselves if they want to! 🙂

MaggieK
    April 8, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Hi Cara! You are so cute! I was singing along while I was watching your video! Love it! Btw, did you see J LO’S eye makeup on American Idol tonight? Such beautiful golds and browns! Check it out!

HeatherL
    April 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm

This was adorable! I need to start timing my daily activities in song lengths.

Živilė
    April 9, 2015 at 2:44 am

It’s soooo fun, and the result is great! I will definately do my swiftest makeup video, I hope I will look decent ;D

Leslie
    April 9, 2015 at 6:00 am

Love all the recommendations!

Jen
    April 9, 2015 at 8:50 am

Totally not makeup related, though that was impressive speed, but you inspired a “22 on repeat” dance party for me and my 5 and 7 year old boys last night – such fun 🙂

Taren
    April 9, 2015 at 8:58 am

Ha! I seriously loved watching this. How cute are you?!! Music is a must when putting on makeup. You are adorable!

Amy B
    April 9, 2015 at 10:21 am

So CUTE and happy as usual!

Cara, I was wondering if you’re still checking the [email protected] emails? I want to buy a palette, but was wanting a rec on colors first, but am hesitant to put my face on instagram 🙂

Anyways, thanks again for the great posts!

Emilee Bench
    April 9, 2015 at 10:34 am

@maskCara it was harder than I thought to film myself with no make up, and going through the process. It was a good challenge to get out of my comfort zone a little bit! I entered on twitter 🙂 thanks for doing a great giveaway!

Julie
    April 9, 2015 at 11:35 am

Do you start with an allover primer or tinted moisturizer before using the IIID foundation?

wwilliams921
    April 9, 2015 at 1:31 pm

That was awesome, Cara. Thanks for the smile. 🙂

Gracious Store
    April 9, 2015 at 9:14 pm

like your video and your dancing moves!

Nina
    April 9, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Cara, I absolutely love all your tutorials and videos, and I try to read every single one of your posts! This one however, I can totally relate to!
    I am 28, and mom to a 6,5, & 4 year old, and we just found out we are having another one!! Yay!

I too struggle to feel put together when I’m at home, but when I do I am a much better mom and person! It really is worth the extra 5-10 minutes.
    At being said, I’d really love to try this challenge of yours!!
    Again, loved this video!!

Bryn Patterson
    April 10, 2015 at 10:45 am

I love this idea! I made a video and posted it to my FB page. I’m one of those girls who never really could understand makeup, so the simpler the better. The video I posted is my go-to look for “taking the kids to the library and would rather not look like a complete slob.”

Emily Fox
    April 11, 2015 at 11:12 am

CARA!! I DID IT!! Woohoo! My very first youtube video!!

Here’s where you’ll find me: https://youtu.be/7KMqNqtqeoI
    Maskcara #Swiftestmakeup Challenge

Never had so much fun 🙂 …and when you see my little sidekick, you’ll understand how I desperately needed this ‘swift’ technique in my life!!

Thanks, Cara!! So fun!

Janae
      April 12, 2015 at 11:01 am

This was the best thing I’ve ever watched!! You two made my day!!

Emily Fox
        April 12, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thank you, Janae!! This was such a fun idea…we had the best time!

ariel oliver
    April 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I didn’t get nearly as much done as you did… but I did it. I’ll have to practice.

Shaylee
    April 11, 2015 at 11:15 pm

You are adorable! Seriously!

Lakota
    April 13, 2015 at 4:45 am

You mega babe! Love your stinkin guts

Irissa (yourgirlnextdork)
    April 13, 2015 at 9:29 am

I did it! I posted it on instagram and youtube with the hashtag #swiftestmakeup!

Lena
    April 13, 2015 at 11:22 am

hi cara,
    what is the brush you’re using? it looks like the it cosmetics double ended brush but seems much longer, hmm

Lena
      April 13, 2015 at 11:24 am

oh never mind, i found it, it’s your very own hac brush. wow i didn’t know you even had this with the hac pack.

Katie b
    April 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

My little girls and I posted this morning on my private Instagram… I tagged you and used the hashtag so hopefully you can see. They love to help me do my “paint” every morning and we are crossing our fingers that we win. Thanks!

beloverlyblog
    April 13, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Loved the video! I tried this the other day and definitely failed! Ha ha! I’ll have to try it again.

Kristi

The #SwiftestMakeup Challenge | No Other Pearl
    April 14, 2015 at 10:35 am

[…] I’m still breathing hard. Maskcara’s Cara Brook hosted the #SwiftestMakup Challenge and it really was a hug challenge for me. I first thought–this will be […]

Megan French
    April 15, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Your hair looks SO good!

Friday Round-up |
    May 1, 2015 at 5:24 am

[…] very knowledgeable about beauty tips or techniques, and love her tutorials.  My favorite is this video where she shows her complete makeup routine during a Taylor Swift […]

Laura
    May 11, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hi Cara! Love this idea, coming from someone who needs every extra second of sleep possible in the mornings! I’m sure you have probably answered this before but where do you get all the double sided brushes you used in this video? Thanks!

pat
    September 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Great post! I was wondering about your lash extensions you mention. I remember reading a while back about you having them removed at one point thinking they were damaging your own lashes. I have an appointment scheduled to have a set put on. How are your lashes holding up and do you have them put on the bottom lash line as well? I am in the over 50 set and am always told not to put mascara on the lower lashes. Any advice?

Jennifer
    October 4, 2015 at 9:43 am

What colors did you use from naturally pretty palette? Also did you use mascara? Thanks for all these awesome looks!!

7 simple tips to avoid feeling grumpy, frumpy, and tired | Living the Sweet Wife
    October 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

[…] mamas who are feeling the burn. Check out one of my favorite blogger, Maskcara’s, tips for a 5 minute makeup routine that you can have done in the duration of one […]

you’re only one song away… – Maskcara
    June 16, 2016 at 3:51 am

[…] I did the Swiftest Makeup Challenge and it honestly changed everything! Once I realized I could actually look totally put together in […]

Debra Rubin-Roberts
    June 16, 2016 at 6:12 am

Love your video! 22 is a fun song and you do not look dorky at all! I made a #swiftestmakeup video too… But it is not as hip as yours. Here it is: https://www.mommymakeup.com/pages/flawless-makeup-in-only-6-minutes

Cheap NBA 2K17 MT