Makeup Makeup Products

Makeup Capsule: The specifics

Most of the capsule is pretty darn adaptable to any skin type but I did find that a few things really needed to be individualized.
Here’s my list for each need/skin type:

makeup_capsule_additions copy

Dry skin gals – Laura Mercier Hydrating primer: I’m in love with this stuff! I love it because it’s super moisturizing but I can use it before applying makeup and not have it interfere with the foundation because it soaks in really quickly. It’s got a nice luxurious feel to it as well.

Acne Prone: I love this Smashbox primer for acne prone skin, it’s a nice smoothing texture and it’s anti-blemish, huge bonus!

Oily skin: Setting spray and/or powder and essential. As far as primer goes I am split down the middle. For SUPER oily skin I am loving the Becca Ever Matte but it is HARD CORE and must be used with caution. For those who are just kind of oily I have been really liking the No7 Beautifully Matte Base

Combination skin: Porefessional has been a favorite of mine for a long time! It’s got the whole blurring out pore thing DOWN. It also makes foundation go on nice and smooth and hooks you up with staying power. For combo skin I also tend to stick to setting spray instead of powder because I’m big into the fresh dewy look. If you prefer the smooth powdery finish go with the Bye Bye pores Powder instead.

extra coverage/full coverage: Since the IIID is more of a build-able medium coverage I recommend those who want a little more to start with a tinted moisture and Laura Mercier is my fav. You can always use more coverage here if you prefer that I just tend to err on the side of natural whenever possible.

aging concerns: Amazing Cosmetics IF you want a primer that softens lines and wrinkles and helps makeup gliiiiide on smooth this is your baby.

Perfectionists: The beauty blender is THE WORLD for getting a perfectly blended finish! There’s nothing that compares.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
And I hope to see all of my St. George girls at Blow Beauty tonight for our fun makeup party!

Meri Waldron
    April 3, 2015 at 5:12 am

Do you think using a beauty blender will give more “perfectionist” results than a flat top kabuki brush? I still haven’t tried a beauty blender yet. Have a great weekend!

April 3, 2015 at 5:26 am

Is that beauty blender from the Sephora beauty closet? If so, what are your thoughts about the beauty closet? I saw it online a couple days ago and I’ve been considering getting it! Just hesitant about the price.

Nicole Walker
    April 3, 2015 at 6:13 am

Love these picks, I have been dying to try out the mini beauty blender, it looks so tiny and adorable!

xoxo Nicole

April 3, 2015 at 6:28 am

I’ve been struggling with finding a primer so this list has come at the perfect time! x

April 3, 2015 at 6:57 am

Is that Merle Normal primer in the graphic?? I’ve never seen you mention it but I looooove MN-some of the only stuff I can use on my acne skin!

Eryn P.
    April 3, 2015 at 9:39 am

Completely agree with you about the beauty blender!

Ariana Raftopoulos
    April 3, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Everyone who wears liquid foundation NEEDS a beauty blender!

April 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Will you be traveling promoting your make up? I am having hard time with the foundation. If so will you be in northern California ? I would love to see you .

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    April 3, 2015 at 5:00 pm

I will have to try the Smartbox primer. My skin breaks out every single time I wear foundation. 🙁 Do you have any other recommendations for skin like that? Thanks!

Kristi Craig
    April 3, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Love the Laura Mercier primer!

Kiss & Make-up
    April 4, 2015 at 2:53 am

I’m a big fan of Smashbox primers! I’m currently using the Pore Minimizing one.

April 4, 2015 at 3:02 am

I love that the naturally pretty palette made the capsule! I used it to do my own wedding makeup. Those gorgeous shadows made it possible to do a navy, purple and orange smoky eye and not look crazy! I’ll email you pictures. Thanks for the dry skin recommendation I’ll have to try the LM primer next time I’m at Ulta.

April 4, 2015 at 7:55 am

What do you think of IT cosmetics Feel The Moment anti aging primer? I think you have used it before.

Cylia Moreau
    April 4, 2015 at 11:29 am

THANK YOU for writing this post! Helped so much 🙂

Natalie Heather
    April 4, 2015 at 3:08 pm

The Smashbox primer sounds so good for my skin type – I NEED smoothing products.

Mocha And Moccasins
    April 4, 2015 at 9:27 pm

The Laura Mercier primer is calling my name! POREfessional is also amazing and the beauty blender is my #1 tool – great picks!

April 5, 2015 at 2:18 pm

That setting spray is my favorite!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

April 5, 2015 at 10:31 pm

If your a makeup/ beauty lover visit my blog:!! I post tons of beauty secrets, tips and tricks!! <3 Please like this comment so people can find my blog!

Nikki Charlton
    April 7, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I pinned:) and I love you!!!! Congratulations!!!

April 8, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Cara – I’ve tried a bunch of different primers and moisturizers and no matter what I always get flaking when I use the IIID palette (Sunlit). I have normal to dry skin. I really want to be able to wear this make up out but haven’t figured out how to make it work for me yet. any suggestions?

April 9, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Agree with Daniela. The IIID isn’t blending well on my 46 yr old skin. I’ve tried hourglass, Bobbie Brown, Stilla . Kinda just stays put. Would love some advice.

May 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Was sooooo excited to try the palette. 39 yrs old, and just can’t seem to get it to seep into my skin, sits on top, shows all my lines and pores and so drying. (sunlit) I have the smashbox primer for face and undereyes, also lots of different moisturizers and exfoliated, dont really want to buy LM one too as the palette and brush just set back over $100 due to canadian exchange… Love your site and videos, would love if anyone has figured another way to use this if skin is dry. Thanks!!!!

June 7, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Have you tried the real techniques sponge? I exclusively use that sponge over the beauty blender purely because the price point is better & I’ve liked the results. Is the beauty blender really that much better?

Melissa Kendell
    June 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hey, I love this post! I know you posted it forever ago and you’ll probably never read this, but I was SO excited to read your recommendations! I recently bought your IIID foundation and I love it, but I definitely need some primer and setting spray. I will definitely be buying what you recommended! Thanks 🙂

Maskcara | 6 Tips for buttery smoooth foundation
    August 25, 2015 at 4:14 am

[…] it nicely. What primer you need is all based on your skin and preferences I break down my picks in this […]