Outfits

a tale of 3 diaper bags

Sometimes I make bad decisions.

This is a story about one that I made recently. One that I hope I can help someone else from making…

While I was pregnant I started looking for a great diaper bag. I’ve always felt that just because a bag may or may not house diapers does not mean it should look like a baby shower decoration. I don’t know why they design diaper bags sooo much differently than they design hand bags.
It’s like a message “You are no longer a stylish adult, you have a child now so…ya…you should probably stop trying to look nice, that ship has sailed my friend.”

I rebelled.

I said to myself “Self. You don’t need an actual “Diaper bag” you can put diapers in ANY bag! Don’t limit yourself!” So I bought this really cute leather tote. It didn’t have any pockets so I (genius that I am) also purchased some ‘insert pockets’ so I could keep everything nice and organized, right?

Wrong.

leather

First of all it was really heavy leather. Pack that on top of the inserts and all the baby needs and you’ve got yerself a back ache. Plus the inserts all just fell to the bottom of the back and I had to pull them out and shuffle through them every time I needed anything. It was a short-lived ill-advised plan

timi

I felt too guilty for wasting money on that to buy a new one so I took a hand-me-down from my sister, Rachel. She had a really cute Timi & Leslie bag that fulfilled my dreams of just looking like a purse. It was a BIG improvement from the first option but it also came with struggles. As you can see it turns into a pile when you set it down, which means what once was a bag is now a black hole that swallows everything you put inside! When you’ve got a baby covered in puke in one hand you really need to be able to find the wipes with the other. Plus the fact that its black is so much more my sister’s style than my own, my eyes began to wander.

petunia

When they landed on this Petunia Pickle Bottom I kind of fell in love with it. Now I know I should have TOTALLY taken my mother-in-law’s advice (she recommended a pickle bottom when I first got pregnant) and purchased it in the first place. I didn’t even give them a fair shot because…well, because I thought Petunia Pickle Bottom sounded like a the name of the kind of bag I was trying to avoid, which is obviously solid reasoning (side eyeing myself here). Here’s what I found out:

It’s SUPER lightweight even when packed full of baby (and 4 year old…and 29 year old) needs.
The pattern is so pretty and the colors really pop.
It holds it’s shape! Meaning nothing gets lost! Even Nick made mention of this yesterday.
So many easy to access pockets.
It even has a super simple (and quick) backpack option

Touché Petunia Pickle Bottom. Touché

signature

46 Comments

julia
    March 19, 2015 at 12:13 am

I really loved my jujube behave. It looks like a purse but it has pockets and bottle holders and such. Bonus the earth leather is machine washable

Claire
    March 19, 2015 at 1:10 am

I just bought a Lily Jade in real leather. I am in love. Three children and eight years of searching and owning all kinds of diaper bags and I finally feel like I’ve found the one. Just in time for my last babe.

Tabitha
      March 19, 2015 at 9:19 am

Lily Jade is the only diaper bag I have EVER seen that makes me feel like it’ll be okay to have to carry around a diaper bag. I have been drooling over the Madeline in brandy for MONTHS! (True confessions: I’m not pregnant yet…and I still want one. Petunia Pickle Bottom still looks too “diaper bag-ish” for me.

Allison
    March 19, 2015 at 2:12 am

Timi & Leslie is an amazing brand. They’re diaper bags that look like fabulous handbags 😉

Allison
      March 19, 2015 at 8:15 am

Ha! Yeah I only saw a piece before I posted. I don’t own a Timi & Leslie but good to know before I spend the money. Still think that may be a little more my style though.

Jordan
    March 19, 2015 at 5:08 am

That’s it? I feel like I just left the movie theater after watching 50 Shades…minus the kink.

Mandi
      March 19, 2015 at 5:13 am

Right?!? I was waiting for more… Or even a pic of the horrible bag!!!

Cara
        March 19, 2015 at 5:38 am

sorry guys somehow the post loaded only half way this morning! it’s been updated now!

Mina
    March 19, 2015 at 5:13 am

Uh oh where’s the rest?

Cara
      March 19, 2015 at 5:39 am

sorryI no idea why it didn’t all load 🙂 It’s up now!

sar
    March 19, 2015 at 5:36 am

not in to these mini teasers. whole story and photos please. too busy to read this in segments

Cara
      March 19, 2015 at 5:40 am

haha totally accidental! the whole story is up now, I would never do that to you! 🙂

nicole
    March 19, 2015 at 6:00 am

I’ve had 2 PPB’s and loved them both, so much so that now they’re a hot mess. Good thing I’m not have a 4th baby . PPB makes awesome diaper non diaper bags. So grateful for them! My aunt bought me my 1st one and I bought 1 second hand and it was worth every penny. My daughter is 6.5 and I’ve used it for all 3 of my babies. I’ve had them dry cleaned and they come back looking brand new. Best few hundred bucks I’ve spent!!!

amy
    March 19, 2015 at 6:39 am

Love my JuJuBe Be Prepared Bag and Be Quick Bags – love their legacy prints. I will be using these far beyond the diaper years.

Kayla Childress
    March 19, 2015 at 6:44 am

Cara – I love this bag!!!! Please could you give me the name of this. Where did you buy?!? I’m pregnant with my second child, and waiting very impatiently to find out the sex. I’ve got a 2 year old boy, and I believe that if this bag is PERFECT for your needs with the 2 boys, I believe I must HAVE THIS EXACT BAG!!!!!! I don’t even care if I have a 2nd boy, this color is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for sharing. Seems like EVERYTHING you blog about is hitting home with me ALWAYS hahaha!!! 🙂

Kayla Childress
    March 19, 2015 at 6:46 am

Of course, now I realize you actually put the link in the name of the bag!!! Duh!! You’re so the best!! Thanks Cara!!! If you have any maternity clothing secrets to share from when you were prego, that would be MAGNIFICENT!!!!!! 🙂

Emerald Earrings
    March 19, 2015 at 7:26 am

I’m currently in the market for a diaper bag, and this is adorable! But the price, it hurts my eyes! haha. Definitely need to find something stylish though, nothing with cartoon animals on it lol.

stephenie
    March 19, 2015 at 7:43 am

Too bad most of us can’t afford it….. must be nice.

andi
      March 19, 2015 at 7:58 am

Watch for their sales, they also have display models that they sell.

livsenese
    March 19, 2015 at 7:58 am

When I had my first, I, too, couldn’t stand the thought of a regular diaper bag (or their price tags). I used a big bulky leather purse that was alright, but could only be worn on one shoulder. Then I also suffered the floppy bag fate, but made myself use the bag for about three years because it was so expensive.
    This time around I finally caved and bought a PPB on sale from babysteals.com (50% off!). I had ridiculed PPB before for the name and the price, but now I am converted!! I love that the satchel can be worn as a backpack, too. It’s so convenient.

andrea
    March 19, 2015 at 8:24 am

Cara, you should check these out. http://www.lily-jade.com/ Expensive, but gorgeous!

Amy
    March 19, 2015 at 9:32 am

I tried all types of bags but the one that worked out the best was a plain old backpack. It might not be stylish but it gets the job done. It’s big, rugged and has multiple pockets. But the best thing about it is that it leaves my hands free when both straps are on and not feel lopsided.

Jaime
      March 19, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Seriously! I did by an inexpensive diaper bag because I thought I was supposed to have one but found them so useless! I just kept it stocked in the trunk of my car and would keep the few essentials in my purse. I don’t know why people think they need to bring everything everywhere….when I did need to have more stuff on hand (like going to the zoo or something) I would just use a backpack.

Amanda
    March 19, 2015 at 9:34 am

I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom backpack that has lasted me 3 years! I’ve used it for 2 babies! THey are great!

Hilary
    March 19, 2015 at 10:01 am

PPB is still a little too fussy for me, but I know a lot of people who like it. I ended up buying a MBMJ Preppy Eliza bag that has lots of pockets and looks like a purse. I will definitely be getting a Lily-Jade organizer for the inside though, they look amazing.

R Liz
    March 19, 2015 at 10:12 am

I love that you mentioned that you felt guilty for spending money on the first bag. It’s refreshing to follow a blogger who isn’t exorbitant and his cost conscious. This is why I love your blog !

jen
    March 19, 2015 at 11:08 am

My 3rd bag was a PPB and it’s perfect! You can beat their sales either!

Angela
    March 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Love these bags but I have no need for a diaper bag! It doesn’t look like PPB makes non-diaper bags…anyone have any suggestions on a manufacturer that makes more of a tote/computer bag that is as awesome as these? Specifically, I like the shape and fabric patterns of PPB.

Thanks!

Christa
    March 19, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I Love my petunia picklebottom, but have you ever heard of Tiger Daisy Bags? I just found then and I think I’m gonna have to get one for my next baby. They are so cute. Its two bags that zip together. so one side you can put all of your stuff in and have it be like your purse, and the other side you put all the baby stuff in and have it be like the diaper bag. and then if you ever have to drop the baby off at Grandma’s house or day care or something you can just unzip the baby’s side and go. You don’t have to dig out all of your stuff or all the baby stuff it’s awesome.

Cait
    March 19, 2015 at 2:08 pm

When I I was pregnant my husband purchased me a coach diaper bag. I love that bag. It is now used as a beach/travel bag as my baby is almost 5 and gets to haul her own stuff around. I am back to my normal bags.

kate
    March 19, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Have you seen Eekie Boo-Teeki bags? They do AMAZING GORGEOUS and PRACTICAL Baby Change-clutches!! Link to page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eekie-Boo-Teekie/1503384593262351?ref=ts&fref=ts

Jordyn Kinney
    March 19, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I’m a nanny for two girls, 15 and 16 months, so keeping enough diapers, food, etc. in one bag to head somewhere for a day is enough to make me go crazy! I had the same problem with every bag that didn’t look like a diaper bag either collapsing or not having enough pockets. I found this bag at target recently:

and kind of fell in love. It still has way more pattern and color than I like in a bag, but it surprising matches almost everything I have. Plus, it’s just the right size, shape, and style that I totally plan to use it as an overnight/weekender for trips! And I didn’t spend a ton of money for it either. Had I not found this I was about to drop some serious cash on a designer diaper bag, yuck!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    March 19, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Love this bag! Right now I use a backpack that I got from Wal-Mart for 19 bucks. As much as I would love a PPB bag, I just can’t justify the cost. So cute though!

Lilly
    March 23, 2015 at 4:09 pm

So awesome! I don’t even have babies, but I used to work at Petunia and have a BUNCH of their bags from my time I spent there. Also, the PERFECT gym bag or weekend bag or travel/carry on purse. Someday I hope I’ll actually get to use them for what PPB made them for, but for now…they are amazing for so many other things!!

Lindsey
    April 1, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I know this is a rreeaally late comment, I’m behind in my blog reading, but I just HAVE to mention a little company that makes the best bags in the world. She is on Etsy and her shop is called Hadley’s Closet. She does diaper bags, purses, jewelry, (even milk stones!!!) and baby girl clothes. Everything is such great quality and at super reasonable prices. I hope you at least check her out.

motu patlu game
    February 19, 2017 at 3:10 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

happy luck
    February 23, 2017 at 2:16 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

number clicker game
    February 24, 2017 at 12:05 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Informations on that Topic: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

penis enlargement
    March 1, 2017 at 6:11 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More Infos here: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

mark sisson steroids
    March 3, 2017 at 7:39 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Find More Informations here: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

Hämtar skrotbilar Göteborg
    March 4, 2017 at 6:39 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

Firstrow
    March 9, 2017 at 1:58 pm

… [Trackback]

scr888 tips
    March 11, 2017 at 7:17 am

… [Trackback]

[…] There you will find 34528 more Infos: maskcara.com/2015/03/19/a-tale-of-3-diaper-bags/ […]

software estimation