My Life

Favorite Books

I’ve been on the hunt for a good book for like a month now!
I keep downloading samples onto my phone and not getting interested enough to make the plunge.
So in hopes of getting some good recommemdations from you guys I figured if I share – you’ll share, right?

(Christian would call that “being friendship” or say “That’s SOOO teamwork!” I love when he used the right words in the wrong way, it’s favorite:)

The Glass Castle
Have you read this? Cause there’s a reason it’s on the top. It’s a memoir (aren’t stories just better when their true?) about a woman who had a very interesting and difficult upbringing and made an incredible life in spite of it. I’ve only read two novels twice in my whole life (I’m not a huge fan of repetition) and this is one of them. I got as much out of it the second time as I did the first. It’s also a perfect book club book because there’s so much to discuss.

Big Little Lies
If you are just now discovering liane moriarty I truly envy you! I wish I could discover all of her fun books for the first time all over again! The characters are so engaging and relatable. The endings are never empty and unsatisfying. I’ve read every book she’s written and this one is most likely my favorite but they are all fantastic. (the only one I didn’t completely love was The Anniversary)

The Fault in our Stars
I laughed. I cried. I sobbed like a newborn baby. And then I read it again and then I watched it twice.
So, yeah, it’s pretty good.

The Wisdom of the Enneagram
So I realize that I’ve talked about the Enneagram before. Maybe a couple of times. Truth be told it’s taken some serious restraint to not talk about it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
On the blog that is. In daily life, I don’t show much restraint.
Everyone I come in contact to is subject to hearing me reference it on the regular. You know that glazed over look people get when you’ve been talking about something for too long ? Sometimes that happens when I’m jabbering on and on about the personality types but even then I can’t stop! It’s like word vomit. I’m doing it right now even.
So I’ll stop but if you have any interest in understanding yourself and EVERYONE you know way better and having a better life and better relationships then read it:)

Let’s Pretend This Never Happened

I usually read in bed before I go to sleep. But I couldn’t with this book. As much as I tried to hold it together I was constantly giggling and shaking the entire bed so hard when Nick was trying to sleep. If you aren’t already a fan of the Bloggess you will be after you read this.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened

I couldn’t find a book that even came close to making me laugh as much until I found this one. Do not drink or eat while reading or you will choke or spit it all over the room. That’s all I’m saying.

So there’s a few of my favorites, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a few new ones?
Thank you so much!!

March 12, 2015 at 4:54 am

The Girl On The Train and The Kind Worth Killing are both good reads in the vein of Gone Girl. For a laugh though I loved White Girl Problems and Psychos (A White Girl Problems book). For something different, The Girl With All The Gifts is pretty engaging – but try not to read anything about it before reading it as it needs big spoiler avoidance. Disclaimer. I spend far too much time on GoodReads 🙂

Emmy H.
      March 12, 2015 at 9:44 am

The Girl on the Train is great! I highly recommend it.

Annette Eberhardt
    March 12, 2015 at 5:04 am

My most recent favorite is The Rosie Project by Graeme Simion. Loved it!! So cute, quirky and hilarious. I highly recommend it!

Abby Petersen
      March 12, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I loved The Rosie Project! Very easy to get into.

margaret sinclair
    March 12, 2015 at 5:11 am

One social sciences book that I love and have read at least twice and referred to often is Steven Pinker’s “The Blank Slate”. It’s says it’s about the denial of human nature but I found it amazing in explaining how the mind does and doesn’t control you. And how mankind is similar and different in the ways we see the behavior of ourselves. It’s terrific.
    Then, there’s always – Jamie and Claire, “The Outlander” series. Now my dd thought the love scenes were over the top but I didn’t pay much attention to them. They carried the story for those who like that. The most marvelous part was her in depth descriptions of the times in which the characters lived. 18th century Scotland and France. Loved it. Read all of them in about 6 months. Was lost to the world and then I raised my head out of the stories. Now it’s a TV series and it’s not bad. I recommend these highly.

March 12, 2015 at 5:48 am

I totally agree you about the Enneagram. I read the Christian Perspective of the Ennegram and that book along with anothr book has saved my marriage. It totally explains why people are the way they are……it is soooo enlightening!

Emily Clark
    March 12, 2015 at 5:49 am

The Glass Castle is one of my very favorites, too. I’m not a teacher but I think every teacher should read it.

March 12, 2015 at 11:01 am

I really loved this book too. I found it reminded me that everyone lives their life, survives and grows in a unique way. It helped me understand a little more and be more patient and empathetic

March 13, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I Loved The Glass Castle and also Jeannette Walls other book Half Broke Horses (about her grandmother). Read them one after the other. Both inspiring!

March 12, 2015 at 6:16 am

I like sad stories that make me cry 🙂 so one of my recent favorites is A Light Between Oceans. I have made everyone I know read it. Try it!

Melissa Garcia
      March 12, 2015 at 7:15 am

Best book! And makes you ponder and think “what would I have done?”

kaleigh george
    March 12, 2015 at 6:21 am

Every book by Gillian Flynn is amazing. I liked sharp objects and dark places way more than gone girl! Also, T.R. Ragan has a series similar to Gillian Flynn novels called ‘The Lizzy Gardner Series’ There’s 5 books and every single one will keep you hanging on the edge of your seat!

March 12, 2015 at 9:59 am

I completely second the Gillian Flynn books! Sharp Objects was AMAZING. Also Mr. Penumbras 24-Hour Bookstore (by Robin Sloan) was a pretty great and fun adventure/mystery novel too. And if you’re looking for something non-fiction I recently picked up and devoured Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn, she’s a chef who decided to go the grocery store one day and stopped to ask a women about her grocery choices, and ends up teaching that woman (and a handful of others) the basics about cooking and how it changes their lives!! Really interesting/inspiring read!

March 12, 2015 at 6:27 am

I love these posts! I’ve read so many good books in the last year. A few favorites : Me Before You [absolutely loved], The Good Girl, The Silent Wife, The Book Thief, and Orphan Train. Hope that helps 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I second Me Before You!

March 12, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Me Before You is awesome!

March 24, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Ok I read Me Before You just based on this list and I just wanted to thank you so much for the suggestion…best book I have ever read….I cried so hard I couldn’t see though! I hope they make a movie ….

Patty L
    March 12, 2015 at 6:46 am

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves is one of my all-time favorites. So good–I plan to re-read it! Hope you enjoy!

March 12, 2015 at 6:57 am

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is AMAZING. A must read! I also love a few of the classics that you maybe read in high school (I did, and they’re still some of my favorites): Les Miserables, Pride & Prejudice and Jane Eyre. For something that will make you laugh and cry, A Dog’s Purpose and A Dog’s Journey are incredible as well. I devoured all of these!

Emerald Earrings
      March 12, 2015 at 7:34 am

Redeeming Love is one of my all-time favorites! I’ve made all of my co-workers read it 🙂

Alanna Nuovo
      March 12, 2015 at 11:05 am

Francine Rivers is my all time favorite author. Redeeming Love is an amazing book, but I actually loved her Mark of the Lion Series more. I haven’t found a book or series that absorbed my complete attention the same way… unless I include Harry Potter from when I was a kid. The series is about a Jewish girl who’s taken as a slave during the Jewish-Roman war and ends up in a wealthy Roman family’s household. It also follows the experiences of a captured Barbarian who becomes a gladiator. I never would have thought historical fiction could be so good. All of her books are so amazingly written though. I just read Bridge to Haven, which is her newest book, and it’s at the top of the list as well. Her books would make great movies if someone took the time to do them justice.

Emerald Earrings
        March 12, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I’ll have to look into that one! Redeeming Love just completely changed my perspective on life, so amazing!

March 12, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Yes! Love Redeeming Love and almost all of Francine Rivers’ books! I was the last of my book club friends to have read one, and I had sooooo been missing out. If you’ve never read one before, you absolutely must start with Redeeming Love. It’s by far the best!

March 13, 2015 at 8:30 am

I wholeheartedly agree!!!

April 13, 2015 at 10:41 am

I just finished reading Redeeming Love. I borrowed it from the library based on the suggestions here. What a great book! Thanks for that 🙂

July 16, 2015 at 5:55 am

I just finished reading Redeeming Love for the second time and came here to get some good suggestions b/c I remembered this Maskcara post 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 6:58 am

Back When We Were Grown Ups is good. The characters a very relatable. I also love a good John Grisham book. The Client is probably my favorite, or A Time to Kill.

March 12, 2015 at 7:02 am

Two words: Jojo Moyes.

March 12, 2015 at 11:22 am

I totally agree love her book me before you.

Kelsey B.
    March 12, 2015 at 7:09 am

I highly recommend anything by Sarah Jio!

[email protected]
    March 12, 2015 at 7:10 am

The girl on the train was amazing I stayed up late and finished it in two days.

Melissa Garcia
    March 12, 2015 at 7:13 am

A Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. It was recommended to me by a book editor while I was on vacation. I read it in literally two days.

Jennifer Evans
    March 12, 2015 at 7:22 am

Everyone Wants to Be Me or Do Me, by Tom and Lorenzo, is hysterical! Brilliant and funny look at celebrity.

March 12, 2015 at 7:24 am

I love book recommendations! Thank you! I loved The Girl on the Train and This is Where I Leave You.

March 12, 2015 at 7:28 am

I’ll have to check those books out. Love a good book to read. My favorites right now are both by the same author and they are Blackmoore and Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. Can not say enough about them. I’ve read them both more than once and LOVE them. But that’s just my type of book. The first will make you cry and the last will make you laugh. I also love the author Sarah M. Eden. Anything she writes is amazing! Enjoy!

March 12, 2015 at 7:30 am

The Girl On The Train and All The Light We Cannot See are must reads!!!

Emerald Earrings
    March 12, 2015 at 7:32 am

When you suggested “What Alice Forgot” I downloaded it that day and that book totally changed my life! (I’ve heard rumors swirling that they’re making it into a movie!)
    Here’s a few of mine:

“Sleeping Beauty – A Comtemporary Romance” (You will NEVER guess the ending of this one, soooo good!)

“This Fine Life”

“Sweet Delicious Madness and the Many Mysterious Deaths of Silvio Berlusconi”

“The Oak Leaves”

Emerald Earrings
      March 12, 2015 at 7:32 am

If you try any of those I’d love to hear your thoughts on them!

Betsy diFrancesca
    March 12, 2015 at 7:50 am

“Operating Instructions; A Journal of my Son’s First Year” by Anne Lamott
    Or anything by Anne Lamott….she’s a scream. Amazon sums up the story much better than I can :
    It’s not like she’s the only woman to ever have a baby. At thirty-five. On her own. But Anne Lamott makes it all fresh in her now-classic account of how she and her son and numerous friends and neighbors and some strangers survived and thrived in that all important first year. From finding out that her baby is a boy (and getting used to the idea) to finding out that her best friend and greatest supporter Pam will die of cancer (and not getting used to that idea), with a generous amount of wit and faith (but very little piousness), Lamott narrates the great and small events that make up a woman’s life.

March 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

“Traveling Mercies” by Anne Lamott was also an amazing book.

March 12, 2015 at 7:57 am

I’m thinking I need to read The Girl on the Train based off all these comments! So my recent read and favorite was Wild by Cheryl Strayed. It’s very inspirational and makes you reflect on your own journey.

March 12, 2015 at 8:07 am

I remember laughing about Hyperbole and a Half when we met!

I think you’d like any of the books by Mindy Kaling, Tina Fey (Bossypants), Amy Poehler or Rachel Dratch. Funny women, funny books. The Tina and Amy versions are really inspiring, Mindy’s nonstop hilarious and Rachel’s will make you laugh and cry simultaneously.

Aiko Livingston
    March 12, 2015 at 8:31 am

If you love Liane Moriarty’s books, I love her! You should try books by Jojo Moyes. My favorites of hers so far are Me Before You (which is going to be a movie now) and The Girl You Left Behind.

Abigail Jane
    March 12, 2015 at 8:38 am

“These is my words” trilogy, “mutant message down under”

March 12, 2015 at 8:43 am

I absolutely LOVED The Star-crossed series by Rachel Higginson. The first one is called Reckless Magic. It was fantastic.

March 12, 2015 at 8:45 am

I just finished The Girl on the Train last week and loved it! I’d love to see an update posts letting us know how you liked these recs (if you end up reading them). 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 8:46 am

I’m in the middle of The Dove Keepers by Alice Hoffman ( and I can’t put it down. A really wonderful historical fiction – great character development, interesting things to think about. Heart wrenching and lovely.

I love the Enneagram as well (3, here) If you haven’t heard Suzanne Stablie teach, though, you’re really missing something incredible. It’s definitely worth checking to see if she’ll be in your area at any point –

Brittany Debity Barker
    March 12, 2015 at 8:52 am

Wreckage by Kim Stafford is AMAZING and totally sucks you in. You’ll love it!

Allison Huff
    March 12, 2015 at 8:52 am

Some of my favorites are “White Oleander” and “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter”. Both were made into movies but the books are so much better. Very sad, but good reads. Reading “The Goldfinch” right now-good, but long!

March 12, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Loved both of these books!

March 13, 2015 at 9:19 am

Yes! white oleander!

March 12, 2015 at 9:01 am

The Outlander series is one of my all time favorites. There is 7 or 8 books in the series so far. I do have to warn you though, you will be dead to the world while reading them. Water for Elephants is another good one. Thirty Things Every Woman Should Have and Know By The Time She’s Thirty is very good. Portia de Rossi’s story in that book hit close to home for me.
    I love post’s like these, I will certainly be checking out your recommendations!

Amber Thompson
    March 12, 2015 at 9:37 am

I have two book suggestions. The first one is “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio. It’s an easy read and it is probably intended to be for tweens and up, but I will tell you that it is a must read for every man, woman, and child alive. It will make you cry, and laugh, and applaud. I have read it and all of my children have read it. I beg you… please read it! It’s sold at Target as a best seller and is a light blue color.

My other favorite book is “Memiors of a Geisha.” That book is intense. The movie didn’t even come close to touching the book. It is so emotional and truly transports you into another world. You root for this poor girl who has no ownership of herself.

Taylor Gabbitas
    March 12, 2015 at 9:43 am

Outlander for sure! Favorite book I ever read, hands down. The whole series is great but none of them are as amazing as the first book. I agree with the above poster though, you’re completelyt useless while you read them, they totally suck you in

Audrey C
    March 12, 2015 at 9:46 am

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Stayed up all night to finish it last night despite having an 8am patient this morning. So good and sweetly written. About WWII but not just another war book. Asks bigger questions and the narrative style is gripping.

March 12, 2015 at 10:30 am

“Lila” by Marilynne J. Robinson is beautiful. Can’t put it down.

March 12, 2015 at 10:33 am

*Donna Tartt – ‘The Goldfinch’ a good read, a bit over recommended, stay with the story, you’ll be glad you did. /

*Viktor E. Frankl – ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’ a very short book. A true account WW2, and a search for what makes some people survive and others not. You will never forget this book and author. /

* Immaculee Ilibacagiza ‘Left to Tell’ A true and amazing young woman faced with amazing obstacles, continuous life endangerment and astonishing courage. /

*Anne Rice – ‘The Witching Hour’ not usually a fan of many of her writings, but this one gets your attention and holds it. I didn’t want to read it and yet couldn’t put it down.Lengthy read.

*Andrew Meredith – The Removers’ When your life’s view point can be changed in ways you never thought. /

* Janice Young Brooks – ‘Guests of the Emperor’ Women prisoners in a japanese WW2 camp bonding and surviving. I first read this more than 20 years ago and I still remember parts well.

These are a few, I would recommend. Some of them might be a bit heavy on the heart but I think you’ll be glad you read them.

March 12, 2015 at 10:56 am

Anytime someone wants a book recommendation I always suggest ‘Beautiful Boy’ by David Sheff. If you haven’t read it yet, you need to pick up a copy. Talk about a book that will make you cry!

March 12, 2015 at 11:02 am

If you liked Glass Houses, you have to read Half-Broke Horses. It’s based on the life of Jeannette Walls’ grandmother and helps you see how her mother was the way she was.

The Book Thief is another favorite. Someone mentioned All the Light You Cannot See – that was good, too. A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favorite book. Still Alice is also one of my favorites – it was just made into a movie.

March 12, 2015 at 11:25 am

Yearning for the Living God by Enzio Busche is fabulous, such a testimony builder!

March 12, 2015 at 11:38 am

I have read a bunch of the books you recommended and I enjoyed them all. Me Before You by JoJo Moyes is definitely a good one! Edenbrook and Blackmore by Julianne Donaldson are a delight and The Rent Collector by Camron Wright.

March 12, 2015 at 11:42 am

If I stay was PHENOMENAL and the sequel, Where She Went was even better!

March 12, 2015 at 11:53 am

If your looking for an easy, fun read check out One for the money by Janet Evanovich! Its part of the Stephanie Plum series which is hilarious!

March 12, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Liane Moriarty’s younger sister, Jaclyn, writes young adult books that are very popular in Australia and have a similar tone to her sister’s books

Whitney W
    March 12, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I loved Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. I couldn’t put it down and finished it in a weekend. It was funny, heartwarming, and smart.

Sarah Scott
    March 12, 2015 at 1:24 pm

The House of Impossible Dreams. I read at least 2 books a week and this is easily one of the best I’ve read in a few years.

March 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

Who is the author of The House of Impossible Dreams?

March 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm

The Girl on the Train

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    March 12, 2015 at 1:47 pm

I LOVED The Fault In Our Stars movie, so I know I will love the book! Thanks for the recommendations 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Code Name Verity! By Elizabeth Wein. LOVED this book. If you like audiobooks, listen to it, the narration is incredible.

Also anything by Joshilyn Jackson. Gods in Alabama and Someone Else’s Love Story are my faves.

March 12, 2015 at 2:04 pm

“The Red Tent” by Anita Diament is wonderful as well as “Prodigal Summer” by Barbara Kingsolver. Two of my favorites. I have to say that I am amazed by your ability to find time to read! I have missed my reading since having a baby!

Angela Thurmon
    March 12, 2015 at 2:15 pm

“The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom. It’s an old book. A true, inspirational story about a truly amazing, courageous family who did extraordinary things! I read it once a year at least. Amazing!

March 12, 2015 at 2:25 pm

The Orphan Train, anything by Anne Rivers Sidden & The Husband Secret.

March 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm

The alchemist by Paulo Coehlo

March 12, 2015 at 3:08 pm

My favorite from last year was The Night Circus. SUCH A GOOD BOOK!

March 12, 2015 at 3:10 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is a fantastic book! Give it a read 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 4:05 pm

The Insanity of God by Nik Ripkin. It’s about a missionary who was in Somalia at the same time as The battle of Mogadishu (the battle black hawk down was portraying). He recounts amazing stories about his time there and visits other countries (Russia, China etc.) meeting with house church leaders. It really goes into depth about the persecuted Christian and showcases people that didn’t let persecution stop them from proclaiming Christ. There were parts that were hard to read and reduced to me tears but overall I was greatly encouraged by the book. It made me further realize the importance of our faith and how we (in America) really know nothing of persecution so why are we so hesitant to share the good news with others. Anyway, I hope you give it a go! It is $2.99 through the kindle app. 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt, Edenbrooke, Goose Girl, The Host, Perks of Being a Wallflower, anything John Green, Yes Please (listen to it, it’s better), Blackmoore, The Rent Collector. AND Arivaca:Guardians of the Light by John Poulsen (happens to be my husband) 🙂

March 12, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Anna and the French Kiss! Sounds cheesy and but is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

March 12, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Still Alice – easy yet deep, fascinating and engaging
    The Invention of Wings
    Life After Life

March 12, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I LOVED Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. I actually read this over my honeymoon. It was such a light hearted funny book. I literally laughed out loud reading it because the characters are so hilarious and adorable. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

March 12, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I highly recommend Susan May Warren. Her and her family were missionaries in Russia. She writes fiction novels and I can promise you that she’ll grab your attention right from the start.

March 12, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Heaven is here by Stephanie Nielson. Her true account of how she got into a plane crash with her husband and another pilot. She was burned 80% of her body. And her journey of recovering and being the mom she wants to be. (She had 4 kids before the crash. (Her blog is called you may have heard of her. )

March 13, 2015 at 3:55 pm

To Emily, yes I too read ‘Heaven is here’ by Stephanie Nielson. A truly inspirational book. This is a strong and positive woman that has to overcome her hardships everyday just to perform routine activities. I wrote her a letter to tell her how I appreciated her attitude and strength. In return she wrote me back and sent me ‘The Book of Mormon’. How Very sweet of her.

March 13, 2015 at 12:22 am

Marcus Aurelius- Meditations

March 13, 2015 at 1:35 am

The Book Thief, Unbroken, These Is My Words and the two sequels, Thirteenth Tale, The Goose Girl

March 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Oh my goodness The Book Thief! That is one powerful book. So is Unbroken! And The Goose Girl–I can read that one over and over. It’s perfect.

March 13, 2015 at 4:11 am

“Where’d You Go Bernadette?” Is funny and sweet and a good mystery. Totally recommend !

March 13, 2015 at 5:52 am

Thanks for the recomendations!! I always like to discover new books to read 🙂

March 13, 2015 at 6:43 am

“Bel Canto” and “Run” are bity by Ann Patchett are both amazing. She’s one of my favorite authors.

March 13, 2015 at 8:20 am

If you are looking for sweet and funny, BooMama (Sophie Hudson) and BigMama (Melanie Shankle) both have really good books. BigMama’s new book “Nobody’s Cuter Than You” is a look at friendship. BooMama’s “Home Is Where My People Are” is about life and family in the South.

liz @ btb on etsy
    March 13, 2015 at 8:24 am

Thank you SO much! I read the preview for Let’s Pretend This Never Happened late last night and HAD to buy it. I also HAD get out of bed and go sit on the couch because I could not stop giggling and shaking the bed. Hubby asked what was so funny, so I read him the part about catching the broom on fire … he didn’t ‘get’ it. Men!

March 13, 2015 at 8:35 am

The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans…makes you think.

March 13, 2015 at 9:15 am

if you liked hyberbole.. you should check out

Lets pretend this never happened
    Jenny Lawson

if you liked fault in our stars

try eleanor and park
    rainbow rowell

Sarah Lahrman
      March 14, 2015 at 7:44 am

I just finished Eleanor and Park and loved it!

March 13, 2015 at 10:26 am

I just finished The Glass Castle last week and it was incredible! Definitely one of my favorite books! And I’ve been looking for another book to read too, so this post is perfect timing. I want to read Half Broke Horses, which is also by Jeannette Walls and is about her grandmother. I also just ordered Where’d You Go Bernadette? because it is supposed to be humorous, so I’m excited to start reading that one!

Krista H
      March 13, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I also loved The Glass Castle!! I read Half Broke Horses also. I liked The Glass Castle better, but Half Broke Horses was still worth buying and reading!!!

March 13, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I am truly not trying to spam you Cara but, you may be interested in my book blog To the right has labels that should help you narrow it down.

March 13, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I don’t know if you’re into these types of books as well, but if you ever feel like reading one of the good old classics, I have to tell you a few of my favorites! A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens is SO GOOD. A little slow at first, but once you get into it, it’s an incredible book. It made me cry, it has a powerful message about how each person can make a difference and can change someone else’s life for the better. Another one I love is The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. Again it’s a little hard to get into at first, but if you stick with it, it’s thrilling! I’m amazed at what an all-in-one book it is: mystery, historical fiction, romance, & action! I know the classics seem old and dusty and the way they were written is so different from the way we speak now, but there are definitely some that will be around forever because they are just that good and still worth reading. You’ll have to give them a try sometime!

Ariana Raftopoulos
    March 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I just finished Big Little Lies and it was SO GOOD. I had to restrain myself from reading it too quickly. Plus the book jacket is so pretty that I want to keep it on my nightstand long after I finish it.

March 13, 2015 at 3:55 pm

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Ann Shafer is an incredible story. It’s heartwarming and when you finish it you feel like you’ve been home.
    The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne is chick lit done really well- funny, heart warming, romantic.
    Enchanted inc. by Shanna Swendson is Harry Potter for grownups.

March 13, 2015 at 10:35 pm

The Scarlett Pimpernel is one of my favorites too!

Sarah Lahrman
    March 14, 2015 at 7:54 am

1. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
    2. Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
    3. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
    4. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult

The Happy Camper Studio
    March 15, 2015 at 11:11 am

Love this comment section today! I’ve read probably 90% of the books mentioned here – many of which have been my favorites too. Mentioned above, I second ‘All The Light We Cannot See’ – beautifully written, amazing characters, and an intriguing (fictional) story about a blind girl living in France during WWII. It’s one of those books that cause a ‘literary hangover’ – story & characters linger with you a long time (like The Glass Castle) in a good way. Really really fabulous read.

March 15, 2015 at 7:35 pm

I loved The Glass Castle as well! It really made you think about life and perspectives. One of my favorite books is Home by Emma Donoghue. HIGHLY recommend it. It is definitely a different perspective. I would also recommend, like others have said, The Book Thief.

March 16, 2015 at 8:31 am

The nightingale by Kristin Hannah is amazing! I read it in two days. All about World War Two and these sisters and the way they made it through the war. I had to go into the bathroom away from my husband so I could read the last chapter and I cried my eyes out! Amazing! I love all of her books!

March 17, 2015 at 1:52 am

I loved glass castle too! You should read ‘The Room’ by Emma Donoghue, I absolutely love the book, it is really sad but soo good so make sure to have tissues with you and you being a mom you will definitely love the book a ton more

nicole tidman
    March 19, 2015 at 7:05 pm

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. It was recommended on another blog and I read it in 2 days. A must read!

March 21, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Where’d You Go Bernadette? If you like Liane Moriarity you will really like this. Light, fun, and gives you something to think about.

March 27, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I am obsessesed with the “in death” series by J.D. Robb (AKA Nora Roberts). Each book is a murder mystery with the series as a whole being the love story of Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her smoking hot Irish stud muffin husband, Roarke. The series is based in New York of the future (sounds star trekky but it really is phenomenal).

Naomi Teeter
    June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I once had a friend that told me my childhood story reminded her of the book The Glass Castle, but I still have not read it. Now, I know I must read it!