Lash School Makeup

Lash School: Falsies

I come from a long line of ladies with luscious lashes. My moms lashes are incredible. Her moms are amazing and both my boys have excruciatingly longies. But it seems the gene skipped a generation.
My lashes are like my brows. They are barely-there-sparse-and-blonde.

Not exactly what lash dreams are made of.

For the last few years I’ve been using falsies.
I don’t wear them everyday but when I wanna get fancy, I’m gonna glue on some lash hairs.
I hear a lot of women say they don’t know how or that they are really tough so I thought I’d give some how-to’s and helpful hints on the matter.

#1 Always start with a good coat of mascara. This helps give the strip an easy placement and it also helps protect your lashes from the glue.

#2 Choose good lashes. Everyone is different but I look for lashes that are: nice and black, longest in the center (that looks most natural to me), thick (I don’t love with they are long and thin – to me that makes them look fake), a little varied in length (real lashes are, so fake ones should be the same.
My two favorites are the Esqido False Lashes in Little black Lash or for a more budget friendly option Ardell Wispies.
Measure the lash to your eye first to make sure it’s the right length. If the lash is too long clip off the excess.

#3 Easy on the glue! I use Duo glue and I only use the smallest amount right across the whole strip. Then I wait about 30 seconds so it gets tacky, like a sticker. That wait is CRUCIAL to getting them to stay put.

#4 Place. Then I place the strip on top of my lashes right near the skin but not touching the skin

#6 Tap. With my finger tips I tap the lash down to the skin as close as I can get to the lashes. Since the glue is almost dry it will stay right where I put it so I make sure not to do the tapping until I know they are placed correctly.

#7 Make em last. I always take mine off at night because if I try to sleep on them it might bend or warp the strip. If I take care of them (don’t over do it on glue, place them back in the container after use, avoid getting makeup on them, pull them off gently) they will last a good 25 wears.

#8 Removal. Lashes should NEVER hurt to pull off. You are gluing them to the skin not the lash hair so i should pull of easily with nothing but a little tug at the lid. If it hurts STOP get a Q tip and some makeup remover to use to loosen up the glue where it’s pulling the lash. It should pull away painlessly after that.
Lash hairs are very sensitive and if you pull them out they may never grow back!

Any other false lash questions I didn’t cover?

Happy Thursday!!

Jenny C
    February 26, 2015 at 4:15 am

Hey Cara, in step 4, you said to place the lashes close to the skin but not touching. But for removal, you say it shouldn’t hurt because it’s glued to the skin, not the lash. I’m not sure which I should do!

Rachel Asbury
      February 26, 2015 at 5:35 am

In the next step it says to tap them down onto the skin once they’re lined up and in place properly. So they are on your skin. I had to read it a couple time too to get it.

February 26, 2015 at 11:01 am

I had the very same question, Jenny.

February 26, 2015 at 4:31 am

Jenny C, I was thinking the very same thing glad you asked and yes Cara please clarify I might figure this out yet 😉

February 26, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Sorry for being a little confusing! As Rachel wrote above (thanks Rach!) You first set it next to the skin but not touching ao you can make sure they are centered. Then gently tap the lash into the skin next to the lash (as close to the lash as possible) does that make sense?

February 26, 2015 at 3:03 pm

How about this- ‘Without touching the lash or glue to your skin yet (when you do, it’s there for good!), hold it up to your eye where you are going to apply it to check placement.’ What you wrote made sense to me but I wear falsies so I am familiar with the process. 🙂

February 26, 2015 at 4:45 am

I loved this post, it really helped me out as I still struggle with applying fake lashes (applying them scares the crap out of me) but I will definitely use a few tips from this post.

February 26, 2015 at 5:35 am

Why have you referenced Milkshake Kingdom?

February 26, 2015 at 7:47 am

It’s probably her blog. She’s just putting a link in case you want to check it out. Unrelated to the lash post.

February 26, 2015 at 5:13 am

I am confused too on where to place them. On lashes or lid?

February 26, 2015 at 6:11 am

I apply my false eyelashes on the eyelid and as close to my natural eyelashes as possible.

Kristin Lanclos
    February 26, 2015 at 6:22 am

Thank thank you!! Great post! I have a few popular brands that are just sitting in my drawer. I went to ulta to have them put on my first set so I could learn well they looked fabulous but come time to take them off hurt and I was thinking to myself why do women do this to themselves. I am blessed with pretty long lashes but lack in thickness so when I get fancy I like to add a Lil flare. Well now I know not to get on the skin. Falsies here I com .

February 26, 2015 at 7:11 am

Apparently I have bubble eyes or something because the length of the lash strip is too short for me. (I use the Ardell ones you recommend). So… when I put them on, gluing the middle first, they don’t extend all the way to the outer corner of my eye which screams “fake lashes”. So then, next time, I put them on the outer first and they look even more crazy because they’re so far from the inner corner of my eyes. Anyone have any brand recommendations for longer strips? Or maybe I need to try individual? Can you do a tutorial on individual?

February 26, 2015 at 7:44 am

Great tips! Ive been using them for years, I buy very very inexpensive ones online from China and they are amazing. The strip isn’t too “plastic” or thick very thin almos thread lie and easy to use. I have also discovered the best method for cleaning and being able to re-use. I bought 2 small containers with lids in wal marts “sample” aisle. one I put Garnier fructise (sp?) hair,body etc oil and the other alcohol. I the take the lashes off my eyes gently. put them in the Garnier oil container over night. the next morning as my moisturizer is setting I take the lashes out of the oil and wipe off the oil and DISSOLVED glue! its amazing how it works! then I use a little soap and water to clean them then drop in the alcohol to remove all residue as I do the rest of my face. when ready to put on. I take them out and pat dry and they are just like new!

February 26, 2015 at 9:00 am

Thanks Pamm. Great tip!

February 26, 2015 at 7:45 am

I’d love a tutorial for a natural but dressed up make up look with the falsies – that’s where I struggle. I want to wear them out for a fun night, but not have over the to make up.

February 26, 2015 at 7:46 am

I should add, is the strip of lashes more natural and easier to apply than individual wispies?

February 26, 2015 at 7:59 am

I find the strip of lashes much easier to apply than the individuals, but my lashes grow all crazy since I stopped using Latisse! I still struggle a bit when I apply strips of lashes, but I watched a youtube video a few weeks ago where the vlogger recommended tipping your head back when applying the lashes, which makes it easier to get the lashes as close to your lash line as possible. Best tip ever! Even though I still struggle a bit, this tip has helped so much!

February 26, 2015 at 7:52 am

I love that you posted about this! I’ve been seeing more and more women wearing falsies on a pretty regular basis and have been thinking about trying some. The only time I’ve ever worn them was for Halloween lol but I may need to take a second look!

February 26, 2015 at 9:06 am

In the first picture, where the lashes have been applied, do you have any other eye makeup on? Curious as to whether you’ve applied liner to cover/blend the glue line.

February 26, 2015 at 9:16 am

What’s the best way to balance out the difference between the falsies and your bottom lashes? The bottoms look bare and applying mascara to them always makes me end up with raccoon smudges.

February 28, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Are you using a good waterproof mascara on the bottom lashes? That might help with the smudges.

February 26, 2015 at 9:20 am

House of lashes glue is by far the best glue. When I used Duo mine would pop up on the corners even after waiting for the glue to get tacky, etc. House of lashes is harder to get off but so worth it. I’ll never use Duo again.

February 26, 2015 at 9:23 am

I have never been brave enough to give false lashes a try, but I think after the way you have explained it I might give it a go…

February 26, 2015 at 9:58 am

Thanks, Cara! I have been waiting for this how-to. However I’m not confused as to where to put the lashes: on your lashes or on the skin? Could you clarify, please?

February 26, 2015 at 10:10 am

Without fake lashes it’s much much better!
    Take a look at young designers’ fashion show on Furore Magazine

Kendall Cortez
    February 26, 2015 at 10:46 am

Did you darken your hair?! its looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Jenny G
    February 26, 2015 at 11:00 am

Its. Like you read my mind! I watched YouTube videos for an hour last night trying to perfect the art of falsies. Also i got an email today that my makeup is being shipped (yay!!) You made my day

February 26, 2015 at 11:55 am

1) Could you try to get a close up picture of the actual placement on your eyelid? I always end up too close to the corner of my eye or not close enough to my lashes.

2) Do you curl your eyelashes before the falsies, after, or not at all?

3) How do you measure the lashes for the right length?

February 26, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Your eyes look amazing 🙂

February 26, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I live in a humid climate and have combination skin. I’m wanting to order your make up but I am worried about it sliding off by the end of the day. Are there any other women with similar situations that have tried the 3D make up? Cara, what do you think? Thanks!

jennifer tucker
      February 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I live in north Florida and have been in south Florida on a business trip this week wearing the IIID foundation. Its been holding up very well! I have a very oily t-zone and I do use the de-slick setting spray and Laura Mercier brightening powder to set the highlight. I had the first generation of the foundation and it definitely didn’t have the staying power that the second generation has. VERY improved, I’m really loving it! IIID foundation contour is lasting a lot longer than the Becca lowlight, which is what I used for creme contouring before getting the 2nd generation IIID.

February 28, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I live in Houston, and have had my IIID makeup for about a week or so. Using a good primer and setting spray definitely helps, but I still find the makeup tends to slide off my nose by the end of the day. I use a good concealer there first, and that seems to make it “stick” better, but I still have to touch up by the end of the work day.

February 26, 2015 at 1:36 pm

A before and after comparison?

Danica Gummesen
    February 26, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I hope this helps some of you ladies as it has made a WORLD of difference for me! I now use House Of Lashes Glue. It instantly gets tacky is so sticky the lashes grab right on and stick where I put them, its a long lasting (24 Hr) water proof glue, my eyes water a lot and with DUO glue sometimes my lashes would pop off, not with the House Of Lashes glue!! It is so easy to work with in my opinion than the DUO that can take forever to get tacky and stick. This change made me a pro at putting on lashes on myself and others…. when I failed almost every time before that.
    If anyone of you are still having trouble try it out!!! & as a tip use coconut oil to remove the lashes as the glue is stickier than DUO and I find it best when it comes to removal.
    The glue isn’t pricey in my opinion and House of lashes has a great site to order from.

February 26, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Your hair looks fantastic!!

February 26, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I’ve never applied false lashes myself but a makeup artist put them on me recently. She used a black eyelash glue, which she preferred because a person wouldn’t have to worry about the white glue showing. Have you heard of black glue or perhaps used it?

February 26, 2015 at 3:35 pm

DUO makes white glue that dries clear as well as glue that is black and dries black. Many glues offer the same thing as a preference for what you like, just read before you buy so you know which kind you are buying. 🙂

February 26, 2015 at 3:48 pm

This is a really good tutorial! I am not so talented at applying falsies, even though I’ve practiced so much over the years.
    I have a question that I’d love some advice on: my friend asked me to do her wedding makeup. She has alopecia (no hair, no eyebrows, no lashes). She’s asked me to pencil in some brows for her and apply false lashes on her. She’s never done either in her life. How would you go about doing this if you were me? I want to make her happy, but I am nervous. (I’ll definitely do test runs.)
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    February 26, 2015 at 4:48 pm

What are your thoughts on eyelash extensions?

February 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I noticed that you did not run over the lashes with liner when you are done. Is this step not necessary? Sorry for sounding ignorant :/

Shaina Ginesta
    February 26, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Can you recommend some good latex free eyelash glue? Im highly allergic to latex an have tried one kind and it definitely didn’t stick well, and I’m hesitant to try others.

February 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I posted above but House of Lashes glue is beyond amazing and latex free.

Summer Ann
    February 26, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Nice! I never knew the right way to apply them so I just always get extensions but I feel like the fake lashes you put on yourself look so much more dramatic and gorgeous!

Summer Ann
    Simply Summer Ann Blog

February 26, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Great post and pictures! When you measure the lashes, do you want them to be exactly the same length as your real lashes?
    Ida from

February 27, 2015 at 2:38 am

February 27, 2015 at 4:48 am

Thanks for a great tutorial Cara! I hopped over to Esqido to make a purchase, but the lashes you have in this tutorial look more like the ‘Miss Dolly’ lashes rather than the ‘Little black lash’ that you mentioned above.
    Are you able to confirm this? I really want to get the same ones that you used!

Thanks so much,

February 27, 2015 at 8:12 am

Amazing! Thanks, I was really needing this post!

Beth and Beauty
    February 27, 2015 at 8:28 am

Thank you so much I am one of those that has more or less had given up but this post makes me want to try again!! If I finally get a pair on you can bet I will post a picture on my blog and give you all the praise for finally teaching this girl a new trick…..LOL!

taylor gabbitas
    February 27, 2015 at 8:30 am

This is a great post but we can we talk about your hair for a second? WOW love it! Can I ask the formula? It definitely seems darker than you’ve had it recently!

Nicole Walker
    February 27, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for sharing this post Cara! I have always found falsies so intimidating, but this post makes me feel like I could actually do it. Now I just gotta take the plunge and try them out!

xoxo Nicole

February 28, 2015 at 9:07 am

I love ardell lashes.

Leiann K
    February 28, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I am allergic to latex and most all eyelash adhesives contain it. Can you recommend one that does not contain latex?
    Love love love your blog!

March 1, 2015 at 4:29 am

can you recommend any good everyday falsies?

March 1, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Cara, this was great!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

The Style Loop | Hair Romance
    March 7, 2015 at 6:10 pm

[…] Great tips for wearing falsies. […]

Frisur Design Die Style-Loop- Frisur Design
    March 8, 2015 at 7:34 am

[…] für begeistert meine Braid Bar morgen, gibt es nur 2 Plätze […]

Erin, Dallas
    March 16, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I always thought I had to place them perfectly, or start over. So I would put the glue on my lash line of my eye lid and immediately apply the lashes when the glue was wet, in case I had to shift them. Your tapping technique and allowing the glue to dry a bit has made applying lashes SO EASY! Thank you, Cara.

March 23, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Hi Cara! What are your thoughts on eyelash extensions??? I’m considering that to “save time” with 4 kiddos and a much needed quick look. Thanks!

March 29, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I wore eyelash extensions for several months to save time (even though I don’t have kids!). They absolutely RUINED my own fairly nice lashes. When I had them removed by the professional that had been applying them, I was left with basically millimeter stubs for lashes. I pretty much couldn’t see my eyelashes at all! I definitely got very good applying strip lashes while waiting for my own to grow back. But even after using Latisse, my lashes have not returned to their original state. I regret 100% ever getting extensions, and would never recommend them for extended use.

Nisha K.
        September 4, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Oh no!!! So sorry to hear :/ after having my son (something in my hormones) my hair went crazy, I had such beautiful thick curly hair…and it all went limp and straight. Even my lashes. It wasn’t until I found this mascara called Younique 3D fiber lashes, saved my life well my lashes at least. Still working on my hair. You should def. check it out

April 10, 2015 at 2:28 am

Hi, I know it might be a daft question but, if I’m going out & am putting eye shadow on do I put false lashes on first or after I have put makeup on?

August 16, 2015 at 12:08 pm

~͂ new balance

Eyelash Serum
    August 17, 2015 at 8:39 am

I have been browsing online more than three hours these days, but I by no
    means found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s
    beautiful worth sufficient for me. In my view,
    if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content material as you
    did, the web will probably be a lot more useful than ever before.

Nisha K.
    September 4, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hey Cara! You’re absolutely gorgeous first off…quick question though, have you ever tried Younique’s 3D Fiberlashes? If so, do you have a video? Would love to see it! xoxo – Nisha

October 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

I’ve always had long, thick lashes until I turned 50. They are still long, but sparse in between. I think I’d like to try this method. I wish you could come to my house and help me! lol