Valentines Day Makeup!

Raise your hand if your husband hates red/dark lipstick!?
(I know you can’t see me but mine is firmly and sadly raised)

So for V day I must forgo the traditional winged liner & red lip (at least that’s what I think of when I think of lovers day makeup?) cause I’ve got to cater to my main squeeze on this ONE day. (Truth be told I always wanna look hot to him so I avoid dark lips for pretty much any date night…)
He’s a sucker for eyeliner and a nude lip. I can slide in with a hot pink lip too…as long as it isn’t too dark, he’ll never know the difference.

So I that’s what I did for this tutorial for holiday sakes.
BTW the lipstick looks a lot lighter in the video than it did in person the photo above is closer to what to expect!

(I gotta say…’m pretty stoked about my skin in this video before I even start with the makeup! I don’t think it’s ever looked this clear! This wash/moisture + this tool are rocking my world)

What I used:

IIID Foundation in sunlit highlight + stone contour + pink grapefruit blush + Pearl Illuminator
IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette (Warmth, Noir & Mocha)
Too Faced Milk Chocolate Bronzer
Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara (since when did we start comparing those two things? Apples and oranges!)
Brun Eye Shadow (brows)
OCC Sebastain lip liner
Flower Lipstick in Camelia Charm
L’Oreal Doutzen Lipstick

Love you!

February 10, 2015 at 5:23 am

I really love this look, it’s so bright and romantic 🙂 By the way, is it just me, or your voice in this video sound kind of different than it usually does?

February 10, 2015 at 10:49 am

haha that’s what my husband said! I’m using a new mic and I think it might be changing my voice a little! (it’s always weird hearing my own voice anyway so I didn’t notice!)

Summer Ann
    February 10, 2015 at 6:23 am

My hubby hates any lipstick and refuses to kiss me when I wear it because anything I wear breaks his face out. So sad! I love the makeup look and I am sure you always look hot to your hubs, even with red lips.

Summer Ann
    Simply Summer Ann Blog

February 10, 2015 at 8:29 am

I actually hate wearing lipsticks. So I opt for lipstains, the kind that don’t leave any residure.

February 10, 2015 at 10:50 am

YES! I love lip stains too, lipsticks wear off so quickly anyway on me!

February 10, 2015 at 6:29 am

I raised my hand!!!:-P
    The makeup is sooo pretty!!!Love it!

February 10, 2015 at 10:51 am

Thanks Lela!

February 10, 2015 at 6:49 am

Beautiful look as always Cara! I was wondering what suggestions you have for oily girls when using your IID foundation? I have been on the fence about ordering it until I know how to apply it and it stay put all day lol.

February 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

I asked my good friend and makeup artist Vivian to take the product and use it because she is very oily and I wanted to know what she did to give it more staying power. She said It’s really just about priming, setting with powder and then keeping your hands off your face!

February 10, 2015 at 7:23 am

I’m probably going to go for a similar look. I love that you played up the eyes and still tied in the Valentine’s Day theme with the pink lip!
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

February 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

Thanks Jenny!

Emerald Earrings
    February 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

LOL, literally, on your mascara comment.
    My husband loves when I wear red lipstick, but he does refuse to kiss me if I have it on. So, win/lose situation for sure.

February 10, 2015 at 10:54 am

haha so funny, my hub won’t kiss me with dark lipstick but I can fool him with light!

Diana in LAS
    February 10, 2015 at 7:53 am

Hubs loves the way I look made up but hates to kiss me when I have gloss on (especially the plumper kind). It’s been forever since I’ve done red because I love the nude so much.

I found a palette the other day that I LOVE. Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette . It looks GREAT on mature eyes (50+). You young girls can wear the sparkly stuff but aging eyes look horrid with shimmer.

I can’t wait to get my IIID (I think I ordered one of everything!!). I barely have any of the first generation left so this girl needs her fix!

February 10, 2015 at 10:57 am

Ohhhh that palette looks gorgeous! I know! I cannot wait til you have it too! Thanks so much for ordering! <3<3<3

Stephanie K
    February 10, 2015 at 8:26 am

Can you please talk about your eyelash extensions?! I am contemplating, but I want a real gal’s opinion on the upkeep effort. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!

February 10, 2015 at 10:59 am

Ok so I had them on for a long time and then I took a long break because I wasa worried they were damaging my natural lashes. This time I used the mink lashes which are lighter and I didn’t go as long as I did before. So far they are PERFECT! They don’t get messy and turn like they did before and they make me feel pretty and keep my routine so simple! I’ve really really loved having them. It all comes down to having someone REALLY talented do them and not going too long or heavy for your eyes! I’ll post about them soon with more info:)

February 10, 2015 at 10:31 am

Is this the second look you posted on Instagram the other day? It looks similar but the colors were really washed out on my device so I think that’s why I saw everyone voting for look #1 instead of look #2. Anyway, this is really gorgeous! Definitely going to try it since I’m planning to buy that exact palette for my birthday present. I’ve been looking at the palette forever. The colors seem really cream and not powdery like some mattes and satins can get. I would also really like to hear about you lash extensions. Did you darken you hair? It seems different than in your last few posts. Thanks!

February 10, 2015 at 11:46 am

Yes! I know it was kind of washed out! Thank you! I just refreshed my color! I use semi-permanent so it washes out lighter pretty fast:)

Emerald Earrings
        February 10, 2015 at 2:35 pm

So I’m curious why you use semi-permanent?

I’m 17 weeks pregnant right now and haven’t done my roots since I found out, haha. So being into the 2nd trimester I’m feeling more comfortable doing a touch-up now but I think I’m going to use a demi because I’ve heard they contain fewer chemicals. I’ve never used a demi or semi color before though.

February 10, 2015 at 10:58 am

February 10, 2015 at 11:57 am

Love this!! Is there a date yet for when the new products will ship? I can’t wait to try them

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    February 10, 2015 at 11:58 am

You look gorgeous with any lip color, but I totally know what you mean about trying to look good for your hubby 🙂 Love the video!!!

Ruth heaton
    February 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm

If I am buying a new eye shadow palette…is IT the new favorite over Lorac?

Emely Romero
    February 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Is there any update on shipping?? I’m just getting a bit anxious 🙁

Melissa Palmer
    February 10, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Cara! this is so pretty! my boyfriend is the same way, he hates when i try to wear red lipstick, but his reasoning is kind of different, maybe you could help? I have pretty big lips (and eyes), and he loves them, but he says whenever I wear red lipstick it just makes me look like Ronald McDonald. I won’t lie, I kind of agree with him. Is there any advice for people like me to wear statement looks without it being so in-your-face? I have the same problem when it comes to eye makeup.
    THANK YOUUUUU 😀 love your tutorials!

February 10, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Do you use WordPress or blogger for your blog ? I’m having a hard time deciding whether to stick with blogger or switch to WordPress. What’s your opinion ?

Laura Markle
    February 10, 2015 at 7:14 pm

So pretty, Cara. I love this look! And my hubs is also not a fan of a dark lip haha.

Nicole Walker
    February 10, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Love this look you put together! And I agree with you, what is up with mens distaste for red lipstick?! smh Hope you have a great Valentines Day!

xoxo Nicole

Ashley Murray
    February 10, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Love the Look! I just got my IIID foundation in the mail the other day (I’ve been waiting for that moment for oh, say, a year and some change) and the first day I wore it, 3 people stopped e to tell me how lovely my makeup looked! After the first compliment I felt pretty good, the second time I thought, “I must look REALLY good”, and the third time I just became afraid I had something gross on my face and everybody was being really sarcastic. Good news, no grossness, just good makeup!

February 11, 2015 at 9:12 am

Sorry, Cara but I found myself distracted by the song. I was listening to the lyrics instead of what you were saying. Think plain background music works out better for people with short attention span like me 😉

February 11, 2015 at 7:40 pm

That sounds simple enough! Did she happen to recommend a primer and a powder?

February 12, 2015 at 8:52 am

Cara, long time follower, first time comment! First, thanks for all the time and effort you put in to teaching us how to enhance our own beauty. You’re so talented and blessed to be able to do what you love and love what you do! Second, your skin really does look fantastic. I’m curious though, are you still using the jolie md line you posted about around this time last year in addition to the oil balm?