Friday Favorites

Friday Favorites

Sometimes I look around at my incredibly blessed life and it actually scares me.
How could things be so good? Somethings gotta give. Somethings gotta go bad.
It’s true.
Life is filled with peaks and valleys, so I know there are trials and tough times ahead.
A comforting thought that I have when I start worrying about that is that at times when my life wasn’t this good.
When I was going through really hard things.
Even at the most difficult times, I have always been more-or-less happy.
It makes me feel like even though a perfect life is not attainable, a happy life is.
It’s cliche I suppose but it’s true. Look for the good. Cherish the sweet moments.
Value life for what it is and don’t hold out on happiness for what it isn’t.
rains

I love that.

So Billy has been extra fussy the last few days and that’s always so stressful with a young baby because it could easily just be teething or general fussiness or a little bit of a tummy ache but it could also be an ear infection or something of the like. My main go to is always thinking it’s an ear infection. Then I’m asking Nick “Should we take him into the doctor.”
“He’s not feverish?”
“I know but before when he had one he wasn’t?”
“Maybe?”
You get the drift.  I feel like I’m always worrying about things like this as a mom. So a couple of days ago I decided instead of wondering all the time I’ll just get myself otoscope of my own. Then if it looks fine I can put myself at ease and if it’s red then I’ll know I need to take him to see the Doc. I did a little research and found one on amazon (my BFF) I plan on bringing it to my next Doctor’s appointment so he can show me exactly how to use it and what I’m looking for.
Anyway, I thought I’d share because it only cost 40 bucks so if it saves me two unnecessary doctor’s appointments it’ll have paid for itself in co-pays alone!

I also wanted to mention that for all of you who purchased Maskcara makeup at the launch party (or since the release) it was a 2-4 week pre-sale (I know some folks missed that message on the product page) but the time has come! We started shipping this week! There was a HUGE amount of orders so we’ve been busting our butts to get them all out ASAP! Thanks so much for your support! I can’t wait to hear your feedback!

Have a great weekend!!!

signature

53 Comments

Kate
    February 6, 2015 at 5:04 am

I just got mine yesterday! Yay! Haven’t had a chance to play with it much yet but seems very creamy! I ordered “shadow” and it is definitely a gray/no warmth. Would love to see a detailed tutorial on using this one for the nose. 🙂

February 6, 2015 at 10:54 am

Thanks Kate!! I made one this week! It’s kind of a crazy color but it works magic! So excited for you to give it a try!

Carol Higdon
    February 6, 2015 at 5:04 am

I remember the days when my children were babies and you do worry when they are out of sorts! You have a good weekend and thank you for sharing!

February 6, 2015 at 10:55 am

Thanks Carol! You too:)

Tiffany
    February 6, 2015 at 5:34 am

Hi Cara, I’ve already ordered and can’t wait to receive it! My question is about future orders. Will we need to wait the 2-4 weeks again or will it be a quicker process?

February 6, 2015 at 10:56 am

Good question! It will definitely be a quicker process! We are just wanting to catch up before we start promising sooner so we don’t over promise anyone! As soon as we catch up it will go back to immediate shipping like we prefer:)

Whitney
    February 6, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hi Cara, have you considered taking Billy to a pediatric chiropractor? I’ve started seeing one and he does children too- I have been learning so much, for instance- if a baby is constipate- he could need an adjustment from the way parents lift their little legs so high to change a diaper! Also- adjustments help be rid of ear infections naturally! I do ALOT of typing and get carpel tunnel easily, but having an adjustment here and there- gone!
    – just a thought!

February 6, 2015 at 10:57 am

I have thought about doing it, probably need to bite the bullet and go! Thanks so much for the input!

Elizabeth
    February 6, 2015 at 6:32 am

I can’t wait to get mine! Will get a shipping notification?
    Also have you ever thought of using essential oils in your family for wellness and immune support? They can really make a difference in the time it takes to get over a cold or something similar. I’ve stopped cold, bladder infections, stomach upset etc. all by using essential oils topically, aromatically and internally. Young Living has been around for 20 yrs and has the purest (100%) therapeutic grade essential oils out there (which is why majority of their oils can be ingested and used undiluted on the skin). I’m in a group of wonderful ladies who all use YLEOs and most of them have littles. One in particular has 4 under the age of 7 and she hasn’t been to the pediatrician or had to get prescription meds in over 6 months since she started using oils. They have been such a blessing in my life and I love sharing and talking about them (as if you couldn’t tell

February 6, 2015 at 10:58 am

Yes! You’ll get tracking info as soon as it ships!
      I have a bunch of young living oils and I really need to start using them! Thanks so much for reminding me!

Elizabeth
        February 6, 2015 at 11:28 am

They’re so awesome! If you don’t already have it, Gentle Babies is an excellent resource for using essential oils in babies. All the moms I know swear by it 🙂

Elizabeth
    February 6, 2015 at 6:37 am

Lol apparently my book I was writing got cut off!! Lol. I was just saying that you’ve been a blessing with your kindess and heart to help women feel beautiful and better about themselves so I naturally want to share the goods with you too 🙂 there are endless possibilities for using oils for health and for your home (replacing toxic cleaners). I would love to share more with you if you’re interested! Oh just forgot YL is in Utah so you probably know all about them! Lol. Oh well if not… I’m hoping to tour their farms one day! Happy Friday!

February 6, 2015 at 11:00 am

haha it cut you off right at the sweetest part! Thank you so much Elizabeth!

Jessica @ wearitforless
    February 6, 2015 at 6:40 am

Being a mom can be so scary – but you are doing great! I have to remember to tell myself that all the time. 🙂

-Jessica

February 6, 2015 at 11:00 am

Thanks! It’s a good thing to remind yourself! 🙂

Natalie Faulkner Robertson
    February 6, 2015 at 7:30 am

Did you read the reviews and commentary from the seller of that otoscope? Yikes! Looks like a company not to do business with.

February 6, 2015 at 11:01 am

Oh dang, I just read a few of the good ones and saw that it was really high rated! Now I’ll have to go back and check, thank you!

Natalie Robertson
        February 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

Looks like the product works well but the person running the company berates the people who leave a less than favorable review. I’ve always wanted one of those. Let me know how it works!

Jenny
    February 6, 2015 at 8:15 am

I’m the same as you- I am always waiting on something bad to happen in my life, because my life is so blessed and so incredibly wonderful that it is like… too good to be true. What did I do to deserve such a great life? Nothing! But, I am grateful, of course. It’s hard to not wonder when something bad will happen to balance it out. >_>
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

February 6, 2015 at 11:02 am

That is EXACTLY how I feel! Glad I’m not alone! <3

Rachel S
    February 6, 2015 at 8:16 am

Where can people post reviews of the new Maskcara makeup they are receiving? I’m really curious to hear how its working for others.

February 6, 2015 at 11:04 am

There are reviews on the website on the product pages. For some reason it’s not showing up on the custom palette page (that one was set up different so we are trying to work it out and get it up on all of them!) but for those of you who would like to review or check the reviews for the time being it’s on all of the other product pages. Hopefully that makes sense!

Deb
        February 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Cara, Are the Maskcara make-up reviews on the blog or on the foundation website? I can’t find anything–sorry, you did explain above…
        You are doing great as a mom, and I love your Friday quotes. You are an inspiration!

Summer Ann
    February 6, 2015 at 8:29 am

I absolutely love that quote. I get caught up in the fear that something is bound to go wrong because life is so great right now and it seems a little too great for us. When my hubby and I started dating we always joked about how nothing could go as planned for us. It always seemed like something would ruin our plans but these days we seem to be a lot more lucky I guess. I hope it stays that way overall and I hope you have a great weekend!

XOXO,
    Summer Ann
    Simply Summer Ann Blog

February 6, 2015 at 11:06 am

Thanks Summer! Haha maybe you and your hub used up all your bad luck in the beginning! Have a good weekend too!

Hannah
    February 6, 2015 at 8:53 am

Hi Cara!

I’m a Speech and Hearing graduate student and I just wanted to send a little warning to you about looking in your sweet son’s ear. Babies ear canals are so short, so there’s a good possibility of hitting the tympanic membrane when using the otoscope untrained. Shoot, a grad student hit mine last year on accident! Ouch! So like you mentioned, I would definitely wait until your doctor shows you how to use it.

Also, I ordered your makeup and am SO EXCITED it’s going to be here soon!!

February 6, 2015 at 11:07 am

Thank you! Good to know! That’s why I was thinking of having my doc talk to me about it, he might even say don’t do it yourself:( Or maybe I can practice on the hub for a while! Can’t wait for you to get your makeup!

Jess
      February 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for posting this Hannah! I’m all for people being independent and self reliant (I would love to have my own pediatric otoscope!) but SOMETIMES it’s not worth it. It’s so smart to wait to ask your doctor! I worry about the essential oils people talk about so much lately. For instance, my cousin was trying to sell me something that “helps cure strep throat” for my son. Essential oils are not going to kill the problem bacteria in his throat… his body will fight the infection off all on it’s own and if antibiotics aren’t used to help fight it, there is a higher risk for rheumatic fever and heart and kidney problems later on…. but people give all the credit to the essential oils curing the infection. Scary! Not to bash essential oils but I just don’t think they are a cure all, especially for strep. If they were, then doctors would use them 🙂 Excited to read the new reviews! I always think the same thing about my good luck running out and not deserving any of the blessings I have. It’s nice to be able to recognize those blessings because it’s so easy to get caught up in what we don’t have.

Zen Writing
    February 6, 2015 at 9:05 am

I received my makeup today! I immediately put some on, and I love it! The sunlit is perfect for my complexion (I’m a red-head and tend to look pink if I don’t have the right foundation). I used my own brush to apply, then used my beauty blender to blend it out. I also got the walnut contour foundation and it is exactly right on me. LOVE LOVE! (For those who want to know, the problems with the last foundation (for me at least) did not occur with the new IIID–nothing is settling into my pores, and the makeup is not sliding off my face so far (I have oily skin). THANK YOU, Cara!

February 6, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am literally jumping with joy at your review!!!!! so so happy its working for you!!!!!!Thanks so much for letting me know! You are wonderful!

Bethany
      February 7, 2015 at 10:00 am

I can’t wait to get mine! I’m seem to have the same skin tone as you and the same problems that you had with the first version! Your review makes me even more excited to receive mine!!!!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    February 6, 2015 at 11:13 am

I feel the same way about my life sometimes. Things are too good and I am too blessed, so I am always waiting for the trials ahead. I know that no matter what comes in my future though that I always need to look for the good in my life 🙂 Thank you for that reminder! And I am I huge worrier with my daughter too! What an awesome idea to get an otoscope!! I can’t wait to order some more mascara makeup when mine runs out 🙂

JenniferN
    February 6, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I was going to email you after I read your post about when everything will ship but you beat me to it lol. Can’t wait to get mine!

Rosy Rilli
    February 6, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Hope your little one feels better soon. I just had my baby girl a month ago so I know alllll about fussiness!

Kelsey
    February 6, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Cara I have been looking for a place to leave a comment all day. The new version of the IIID Foundation is AMAZING. I Ordered the first version and it didn’t quite work out for me so I was a little nervous this time around. I quickly applied it and was instantly in love!! Perfect for my dry skin! No settling in pores! It works perfectly with my beauty blender. Every issue I had with the last one has been fixed. My 1 year old got his hands on it and dropped it and I gasped so loud. scared me to death! Lol. That’s how much i love my new palette! Thank you so much for listening to our feedback about the last version. The new version is absolutely perfect!

Liz
    February 6, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Cara, with the first gen IID makeup, you recommended (as a lower end option) the Elf small stipple brush as an option. With the new IID formulation, do you think this brush will work just as well as it did for the old makeup? I’d much rather use my hard-earned money on your makeup than another brush :). TIA a for your reply!

Deb
      February 7, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Cara, I have the same question. I ordered the new make-up, but not the brush (yet!) Thanks for your replies so far–much appreciated!

Angela
    February 6, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I love this post!! I completely agree that there must be something to go wrong and ruin what a fantastic life I feel I’m living. It actually scares me that it could unravel so quickly and put me in a world of hurt, but I really try to appreciate it as much as possible! I feel it may be difficult for me to REALLY appreciate just how blessed I am, but I try to really cut down on complaining about things that others would only be so lucky to have.

I’m not a mom yet but I can imagine I would do the same worrying – you’re in charge of another human life!!! I’m sure you’re doing a fantastic job, and your son is lucky to have someone who loves him sooo much and such a cool mom on top of that!!

I didn’t realize the shipping would be so soon!! I am thrilled to get the product and I can’t WAIT to try it!! I have no doubt it will be amazing. Thanks Cara!!! 😉

Erin
    February 6, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Hi Cara!

Another hearing graduate student here. Just in case your pediatrician doesn’t tell you, make sure sure to brace when you’re sticking the otoscope in your little one’s ears! Basically, make sure you have both hands on his head, and the one holding the otoscope also has some fingers on his face so that you can move the otoscope with him if he turns his head. Babies LOOOVE to wiggle, especially when you’re looking in their ears.

Azu
    February 6, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Hi Cara,

Even after 10 years as a doctor, looking into a baby’s ear can be a challenge and not something that your doctor could teach you with confidence during a visit. It takes looking into a lot of normal and abnormals ears to get decent at it. I’ve had two doctors look at my sons ears and have different opinions.

Susan
    February 7, 2015 at 10:38 am

I received my makeup yesterday and I wanted to let you know that it is fantastic! I bought the first generation and found that the contour did not show up on my skin and the highlighter was hard to blend. I did not have the same issue with the new line. It is creamy, easy to apply, and makes me feel beautiful. Kudos to you for making the right changes and developing beautiful colors!

This time I purchased Sunlight (perfect color – makes me look awake!), Shadow (love that this lets me shape my nose), Walnut and Stone (I wasn’t sure which to chose, so I got both). Turns out that the Walnut is the perfect winter color for me and I think Stone will work in the summer since I tan easily.

I ended up using several different brushes to apply the makeup and kind of regret not buying yours. That might have to happen when I reorder.

Thanks and congratulations on your great product! Love your blog!

Janna
    February 7, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I think it’s great that you bought an otoscope! Be sure they come with ends make for pediatric ears. (I always find them pointy even for my adult ears). And you’ll love to be able to see pink for inflammation (which isn’t always mean infection) and other colors to know if that’s your problem for fussiness. Solutions- I like how you think in solutions!

irynafer
    February 8, 2015 at 12:00 pm

love it!

Kelly
    February 8, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Look for stars? I love that!

Jessica Speed
    February 9, 2015 at 8:06 am

I looked at the exact same otoscope a month ago and put it on my list of things to buy. Wished I done that at the beginning of growing our family. 😉

Laci
    February 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Oh I’m soo excited to receive my shipping notification and makeup!!! Are women posting pictures on instagram using a specific hashtag? Have I said I’m excited….I am ;)!!! Oh I can relate on the momma stuff too. Use the essential oils recommended. I was also told to do the magic sock or something similar to that, I think its basically rice in a specific style of sock, heated up on the stove and (not hot) and then hold up to the babies ear. I believe a chiropractor came up with the idea…my problem was I was trying it with my daughter who is mobile (toddler age)..so yeah, she wasn’t going to stay still long enough for it to do the magic. magic sock maybe…sorry I wish I could remember, but multiple people swore by it.

Crystal
    February 9, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Hi Cara – I did the presale and I was so excited about my makeup, and yes you did mention 2 to 4 weeks for make up to arrive …well we are on the fourth week so I reaaly really hope I get some shipping info this week or something ..just trying to be patient and not lose hope . Keeping my fingers crossed…I have been a fan of your blog for many years!,

Katlynn
      February 11, 2015 at 5:58 pm

So bummed that its taking soooo long! I’ve uncrossed my fingers and am now lighting candles!!!!

Jealsea
    February 10, 2015 at 2:51 am

Hey! Very nice post and inspiring blog! 🙂 Keep up the great work, I’m a fan! 😀 XOXO

Leian
    February 11, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I feel like a 5 year old having a tantrum …I WANT IT ..I WANT IT ….I WANT IT!!! I can’t play with any of you that already have it.

jenniraincloud
    February 12, 2015 at 8:42 pm

First, let me tell you how much I love your blog-you are so likeable! I know exactly how you feel with worrying about baby. I have an amazing remedy for ear aches and infections. It works in a few minutes and will save a doctor’s appt. and antibiotics 99% of the time-http://jenniraincloud.com/a-miracle-and-natural-ear-ache-remedy-you-gotta-try/ It’s seriously a life saver. Good job on balancing a new baby and continuing great posts!

Audrey
    February 19, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Cara,
    I ordered my custom HAC pack on 1/26 and still haven’t even received a notice that it has shipped! When is it coming?! I’m anxious to use it!