Friday Favorites

Friday Favorites

Thinking a lot about kindness lately.
I sometimes care about impressing people too much by trying to be funny or pretty or to seem successful or cool (always a fail) or entertaining…which is all fine I guess I just hope I always remember to be kind first. To think of how others are feeling. To support them. To care about what they care about. To listen to them. To encourage their dreams and their good qualities
I just don’t think I can do all of that, genuinely if I’m thinking about what they think about me.
That’s my goal. To just think about and care about others much more than I think about them thinking about me.
Does that make any sense?

I posted a photo of Mr. Billy with majoy drool on my instagram earlier this week. I guess I’ve been avoiding bibs because they are usually somewhat dorky but one of my instagrammers said to get the cute bibs from H&M. I quickly looked them up and. Yes. SO. Cute. They are in the mail as we speak.

Have you guys heard of Keep? I’m imagining at least one person is shaking their head so I’m gonna gush about if for a second. It’s like pinterest but it’s only things to buy. Which sounds like it could be a little scary for your wallet (which, yes, it could be) but I love it because often I see something on pinterest and I really want it but it just takes me to some random tumbler or something. All of the “keeps” are from online stores so you can gather up boards of things you’re loving. It really speaks to my style of shopping because I love to compare and stare a lot before I ever buy anything. This site keeps all of the things I’m considering in one place + if I decide to buy say 3 of them at once I can buy them all through keep with ONE CART!
If you have an account (or get one) follow me! So I don’t feel so lonely:) I promise to keep awesome things for your delight.

We have a family vacation planned for the end of February so I am searching for swimsuits… What is going on?! They are all so teensy! I’m nursing so maybe my bust is just too big to handle but the bottoms are killing me too. They’re like an inch away from being a thong or worse…showing my lady bits. Even the one pieces are cut up to my ribcage!
I just need to know, is itsy bitsy a trend or am I becoming prudish in my old age?

Have a fun weekend!!!!!

Živilė Petrauskaitė
    January 30, 2015 at 4:58 am

Keep sounds really cool, I will check it out 🙂 And about swimsuit, I’m loving Triangl!

January 30, 2015 at 5:00 am

Never heard of Keep before. Just checked it out. Very cool. I signed up and started following you!! And I’m not even going to comment on my least favorite subject……BATHING SUITS!!!

January 30, 2015 at 5:06 am

First a disclaimer, I’m way older then you, but I remember nursing my now grown babes at the beach. (Now, three exceptionally bright, successful and damn good looking adults!) And before you youngsters roll your eyes back into your head, I suggest Lands End. Conservative, yep, but I remember the relief I felt when I found a suit that supported those two watermelons I was toting around! That’s my two cents … an avid fan!

Maureen D
      January 30, 2015 at 5:21 am

I was going to suggest Lands End as well. The bottoms are amazing last forever and never pull or pill like cheap suits. They have a good selection with very specific measurements so no guessing about how much of your bits are revealed.
      Just came to tour site from Vintage Revivals and find your style very informative but more importantly engaging and personal. Ma

January 30, 2015 at 8:00 am

Lands End forever! They are the best.

January 30, 2015 at 9:15 am

I LOVE Land’s End. I have a long torso and an above average chest. Their tankinis are so completely fantastic.

January 30, 2015 at 5:07 am

Cara, I wasn’t a fan of any of the bibs I saw in baby stores either…until a friend showed me the ones she bought at ikea. Yes, ikea. They are the bandana style, come in cool stripes, and have fleece backing so they’re absorbent for even the drooliest baby (which mine certainly was!). They’re also like 3 for $5 (in Canada at least). Might be worth checking out if you’re running an errand at ikea anyway! Here’s a link:

January 30, 2015 at 5:27 am

Will have a fambam vacay in early March. I am also lookin’ for 1pc swimsuits. Good luck to us. Will check out Keep. Thank you, Cara. xo

January 30, 2015 at 5:45 am

I was also going to suggest Lands End. They are surprisingly un-fuddy duddy. They have some super cute prints, and the bikinis are cute and fresh without feeling like you are showing all of your lady bits to the public. I also love them as a busty lady, because they come in bra sizes.

January 30, 2015 at 5:53 am

We went on a cruise last spring and I wore a bikini bottom and a rash guard shirt with either a bikini top or sports bra underneath and loved it! I got the bikini bottom from old navy, along with a tankini top but I loved wearing the rash guard so much I never work the tankini. There’s some really cute board shorts out there, if you’re feeling the need to cover up a bit more. Good luck and have fun!

January 30, 2015 at 6:01 am

Landsend is one of my favorites as well, and definitely check out modcloth. Their suits definitely offer more coverage and are so cute!

Kate Hodges
    January 30, 2015 at 6:20 am

Check out topshop, they have great swimsuits and cute one pieces too!

January 30, 2015 at 6:28 am

Ditto re: Lands End suits. My boys are 10 and 8 and I still have mine:)

January 30, 2015 at 6:42 am

Tommy Bahama’s underwire tankinis worked great for me when I was nursing. I absolutely needed underwire for the support and the suits were really flattering!

January 30, 2015 at 7:15 am

I also love Lands End for swimsuits. You can buy by the cup size. I am larger chested and it’s the only place I’ll even consider.

January 30, 2015 at 7:15 am

ModCloth is a great site for adorable retro inspired suits, they’re good quality, super cute, and cover all the right places 😉

January 30, 2015 at 7:16 am

Completely agree! I am on the search for one also and have little ones as well. My baby is 8 months now. I’ve decided on Hapari swimwear. They have several options and different fits and are more flattering. Swimsuit shopping is definitely the worst. Good luck!

January 30, 2015 at 7:16 am

I LOVE Keep!! I’ve been on there for a long time, & I literally tell EVERYONE I know about it, like a crazy person. I completely agree with what you said in comparison to pinterest. I have SOO many keeps, so I’d love it if you’d follow me too!! (or search Pamela Hansen I guess….)

January 30, 2015 at 7:25 am

Everything But Water has all brands of swim from Lucky to Ralph Lauren. I love the style of Victoria Secret but you’re right, they are either cheeky or the very unflattering high waisted. I can usually get by with their side ties in a bigger size and just tie them really tight. I miss the days when bottoms actually CYA.

Diane lahr
    January 30, 2015 at 7:25 am

Swimsuits check out Athleta.

Emerald Earrings
    January 30, 2015 at 7:32 am

I detest bathing suits as well. If you’re going to do more wading, lounging, etc than actual swimming I’m all about a comfortable two piece under a gorgeous cover-up. I found a very Gatsby-esque cover up at TJ Maxx last year!

January 30, 2015 at 7:59 am

I am fairly conservative but but not quite to the Lands End spectrum although Lands End has really good suits! I have had very good luck with fitting my pear shaped, post 3 kids body from Athleta suits. I covered, trendy all in one!

January 30, 2015 at 8:03 am

Actually, I LOVE Venus for bathing suits…..some of the suits can be a little 80’s but there’s a ton of cute ones too. Love their ruched waist bikini bottoms, a little more coverage for the mommy tummy but not one of the really high wasted things either.

January 30, 2015 at 8:15 am

I really like the sound of Keep – I haven’t heard of it before but will definitely be checking it out. I wasn’t aware that that was the trend with swimwear! Hope you manage to find something you feel comfortable in xx

January 30, 2015 at 8:15 am

Check out Lime Ricki for really cute swimsuits that have great coverage and support, last forever, but are also super cute.

Harper Jessie
    January 30, 2015 at 8:15 am

Thank you for the MUCH needed reminder about KINDNESS.. warmed my heart reading your post! Truly keep being YOU because the true YOU really shines through in your post! Happy Friday!!!!!

January 30, 2015 at 8:16 am

Keep looks fun! Just signed up. Thanks!

Ugh, I would hope itsy bitsy is not a new trend.
    A absolute MUST for swimsuits is Albion:
    So cute, fashionable and NOT itsy bitsy! I have the Mint Flowy Blouse and get compliments all the day. Good Luck!

ashley grissom
    January 30, 2015 at 8:20 am

Itsy bitsy has become the new trend! Have you seen the Victoria Secret swim catalogue?!?! This 6′ size 14 gal is not loving it one bit!

January 30, 2015 at 8:23 am

I’m going to second Athleta for cute suits that cover adult bodies!

Robin W.
    January 30, 2015 at 8:28 am

Love that you are on Keep! I found their site about a year ago I think and I’m totally addicted. I still use Pinterest but for things I might want to purchase either now or in the future it’s just an awesome site for that. Love your blog Cara!

January 30, 2015 at 8:31 am is my favorite place to find stylish swimwear with features like underwire, cup-size instead of XXS, XS, and S 😉 , and great quality! Sizes are in UK, but the have charts for each brand and UK to US conversion is pretty simple.

January 30, 2015 at 8:35 am

I love keep! Ill look for you on there.

January 30, 2015 at 8:36 am

I second Albion fit! Love my suit from there. And bonus I think their new line comes out next week! Good luck!

January 30, 2015 at 8:39 am

I LOVE albion fit swimsuits! I got a one shoulder one piece- great coverage and cute!

January 30, 2015 at 8:46 am

Omg. I don’t even want to think of a swimsuit!! Makes me cringe. I, like you, feel like I’m becoming a prude too!! How am I supposed to chase a 2 year old and 4 year old in one of those suits?!?! I’ll be popping out everywhere!! Can I just wear a sack? Yes a sack.
    Lol oh my goodness. All you said was “one cart” and I was SOLD. Soooo joining keep. By the way I’m having a hard time trying to decide what pallete to go with in your makeup line. I have been lusting after it for the past 2 years!!!! 🙂 thanks. Your amazing!!

January 30, 2015 at 9:01 am

Lands’ End generally has pretty cute, modest (as much as a swimsuit can be) swim suits. And, you can mix and match the bottoms.

January 30, 2015 at 9:04 am

That makes total sense Cara, it’s something I have to continually work on myself. I’m either too focused on what others think of me or my own problems that I don’t take the time to be truly curious and present for those around me. The fact that you are aware enough to be concerned about it shows what a kind heart you have 🙂 Oh, and the bathing suit thing…what the heck, right. I bought some “hipkini” bottoms from VS last summer. I guess I should have paid more attention to the photo but it honestly didn’t look too crazy on the model…nothing about my butt was left to the imagination. They were exchanged for ones with a bit more fabric! The struggle is real.

January 30, 2015 at 9:21 am

Oh wow! Never heard about Keep til now. I’m going to love this, I can tell already! And yes I am following you of course 🙂

Summer Ann
    January 30, 2015 at 9:52 am

I am going to have to check out that app!! BTW I am such a people pleaser so I am always caught in that thought of trying to be funny or hoping that someone likes me. But you are right that being a nice person is always the most important thing.

Summer Ann

January 30, 2015 at 10:10 am

This is a great swimsuit. I know lots of people that get it when nursing. good luck! I have it in tankini also. Let me know if you have any questions! 🙂 shar

January 30, 2015 at 10:23 am

got to try keep.

Karen Fleischman
    January 30, 2015 at 10:50 am

I just bought the cutest one piece bathing suit from J Crew. They have so many to choose from.

January 30, 2015 at 11:32 am

There are amazing swimsuits on RueLaLa today! Very chic, very feminine… lots of options that don’t scream “teenager!” Feel free to reply if you want an invite to join!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    January 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Yes! Be Kind! I spend way to much of my time worrying about what others think of me, and I think that if I spent more time being kind all of those other things just wouldn’t matter as much! 🙂 As for swim suits, I like Victoria’s Secret tankinis and one pieces, and Forever 21 has some cute ones as well. I have even seen some cute ones at Target and Wal-Mart (gasp!!). Good luck!

Miki Nyckel
    January 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I absolutely love this thank you. I want this tattooed on me! 😀

Hannah S.
    January 30, 2015 at 9:06 pm

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop’s Fables
    We don’t have to know, like, or agree with someone to be kind to them. Preaching to myself here.
    I hope the people around me remember this as I enjoy the warmth of the summer sun with my four kids in a swimsuit this summer! Going to shop some of the recommendations in these comments.

January 30, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Hi Cara, unrelated but do you know when the new IIID foundation might ship? I am holding my breath every day when I open the mailbox and I think I’d rather just know :).

January 31, 2015 at 1:18 am

I’ve been drooling over these that I just saw on a blog

January 31, 2015 at 4:38 am

I bought a suit from Swim and Sport, tankini and it lasted forever. I finally got rid of the thing after about 15 years LOL. Yes forget the skimpy ones for now. Plus I cringe when I see Mom’s in skimpy suits around their kids. You can look great, but CYA. 🙂 You
    are beautiful in every way. Lots of Love!

January 31, 2015 at 7:33 am

When you said itsy bitsy it made me think immediately of Rey’s Swimwear! Their motto is Who says it has to be itsy bitsy? I love their vintage inspired swimwear! You should defiantly check it out!

January 31, 2015 at 11:47 am

I love this post. :):)

Stacy Weinstein
    January 31, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Hi Cara!!! I have been following you now for about 6 months and I love everything about your blog!!! I have started purchasing some of your finds, such as the L.A.M.B. shoes, Foreo Luna face cleaner, the sharkbite sweater from UO and now you have me addicted to Keep!! I already purchased an awesome dress from Nordstrom! I live your character and your sense of humor and all of the stuff you talk about!! Keep up the great work & thanks for finding all the amazing finds you do, keep ‘Em coming!! Have a great day!!!! Stacy Weinstein

January 31, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Speaking of bathing suits, I have a self-tanner question:
    I had a hard time with the Tomas spray so I was excited to read about your rave review of the TanWise tanner. I went to Sally Beauty to pick one up and saw that there were several formulas now. One bottle looked like the one you had reviewed – a foam/mousse for the body- but I saw a smaller container that said it was self-tanner for the face (by Tanwise). Have you tried the face tanner? Would you recommend?

January 31, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Merrick from always has modest one pieces that are very cute! I believe she tagged a couple this week on instagram with #likeitknowit.

February 1, 2015 at 5:47 am

I have felt the same way the past few years. I have three kids and feel like a young 39, and I feel like I no longer want to be walking around in what might as be underwear in front of strangers!!

Autumn Murray
    February 1, 2015 at 10:34 am

You are HILARIOUS! I know how you feel about the kindness thoughts, and I’m obsessed with Keep!!! I love reading your posts! Keep it up! I dream of you doing my makeup btw! I was out in Vegas and requested you, but it was when you were prego. I want a smaller nose! I am patiently awaiting my makeup I ordered from you so I can hopefully get one! 🙂

February 1, 2015 at 11:31 am

Hi, Cara!

I prefer more modestly-cut swimsuits and I actually really like the ruched “boyshort” type bottoms from VS Swim. They are cute and flirty, but I don’t have to worry about sitting the wrong way and exposing way too much of myself. Plus, they come in lots of colors!

February 1, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I know some have mentioned Lands End and I am going to confirm this one! I am in my 40’s and still feel like I am built for a 2 piece suit but like you I want to cover things up and hold things that need to be held. I just bought the bottoms because I have lots of bikini tops and they are awesome, they are a little higher in the waist, not so high in the legs and they are very well made, supportive: look good without looking “frumpy”. Give em a try!

Alecia ferrell
    February 1, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Keep sounds awesome, I totally agree with the random sites you get sent to when you find something you want to buy….and there’s no info either! Agree on the swimsuits too, I cannot even believe the victoria swimsuit catalogs last year and this year…Seriously, who wears the cheekini???!!! It really is just a thong and the top padding is so thick nowadays too!! So annoying…I used to love swim suit shopping, now I just feel old. Last year a found a really cute Ralph Lauren one piece, never thought I’d wear one of those, but it’s sexy in an understated way. It has a retro feel to it. It’s tough to find swimwear this early. Don’t worry, it’s not you!

February 2, 2015 at 12:44 am

These suits are super cute and modest. I’ve never worn one so I couldn’t tell you the quality but I saw the designer give a talk on modesty and what it means and I was sold.

February 2, 2015 at 12:54 am

Try for swimsuits! They have super cute ones, and I find they fit a lot better. 🙂

Candice Schneider
    February 2, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Thinking more of others totally makes sense! Its actually a bible principle to think more of others than yourselves and you will be much happier. Thanks for the reminder:)

February 3, 2015 at 11:10 am or for bra-sized swimsuits – seperates and one piece. And they have super great options for (really) big busted ladies!

Brittany Butkiewicz
    February 3, 2015 at 12:24 pm

6pm (the discount site for Zappos) has really cute ones. I checked them out after seeing the cute one piece Merrick from Merrick’s art posted.

February 3, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Didn’t read every single comment here, but *surf shorts*, Cara. Surf shorts are where it’s at. They’re so much cooler than bikini bottoms, if you ask me, and the shorter lengths especially are just as sexy, if not more so. Traditional bikini-type bottoms look good on *such* a small percentage of the population. While I was scrolling through I saw mentions of Lands End and ModCloth-both totally worth checking. Retro bottoms are cool & some of those Lands End skirts could be surfer-girl, not “mom-ish” (in the pejorative, obvs moms are awesome). But do a search for “women’s surf shorts” someplace like too. Love you girl! Dana in Brooklyn

February 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

You seem like a lovely person and yes, the first bit makes complete sense 🙂