Skin Skin Products Skincare

the balm of skin care

Do you ever learn something and then some where along the line talk yourself out of it or forget you learned altogether…then sometime at a later date relearn it all over again like its brand new information?

Or is that just me?

I started cleaning my skin with oil over two years ago. I fell in love, sang it’s praises and loved my skin.
Then I stopped.
I’m pretty sure that’s just because I was testing out new products and the whole oil thing just got away from me.

Well, this summer/fall has been a killer on my skin it’s been so dehydrated and prone to blemishes and blackheads. I guess it took that for me to remember to stop stripping with soap every night.
I decided to try a cleansing balm this time that a friend recommended.

And I need to warn you first it’s another splurge. I really hate to drop two splurges on you in two days because you all know how I feel about saving you $$ but… it’s the skin on your face. You wear it every day and it has to last you your whole life it’s not the worst thing to splurge on, right? And also, it’s a large amount and you don’t need to use much at each wash so it will last you.

Here’s the lowdown:

What it is: Colleen Rothschild Radiant Cleansing Balm & Sheer Renewal Cream

How I use it: I place the balm between your hands and rub it together (which makes it melt into an oil) then I massage it all over my face. Next (and this isn’t in the directions, it’s just my way) I use the Luna Mini to further massage it in (before I got the mini I used the Clarisonic & it worked as well) then I take a muslin cloth (it comes with the balm) and run warm water over it then wipe my face with it. Next I massage in the Sheer Renewal Cream.

Why I love it:

• Results. My skin is looking better than ever!
  • I loooooove the way it feels. I actually get excited to wash my face. True story. I used to dread it like it was some big terrible job (which is a little dramatic and…lazy…but true) and now I genuinely look forward to it.
  • I worried it would leave an oily or waxy residue on my skin (like other oil type cleansers have in the past) and it definitely does not.
  • It also takes all of my makeup off, which is so nice! Only one step.
  • I finally feel HYDRATED! YAY!

Also, I have a couple of questions (because skin care can be so different case by case) have any of you with oily skin used cleansing balms and loved them? Also have any of you found a budget friendly cleansing balm you love?
Have such a good day!

Just a quick note to clarify for those who read yesterday’s post and are wondering. My skin started to improve a lot after I began to use this cleanser & hydrator. Then a couple months later I replaced the Clarisonic with the Luna and saw even better results. So I think that both things were instrumental in my improved skin situation:)

January 29, 2015 at 4:15 am

I have *extremely* oily skin and wash my face with a blend of castor oil and olive oil. I love it. My skin is so soft and the oiliness is lessened as compared to when I use regular cleanser. Far less blackheads and blemishes, and even my pores seem smaller.

January 29, 2015 at 5:31 pm

That is EXACTLY what I use. And I’ve gine from oily/combo skin to just skin. It’s wonderful!!

January 30, 2015 at 7:37 pm

me too, except i use castor and jojoba. i used to have an oily t-zone, now i can go a whole day without any excess oil on my face. and my skin is ultra soft now as well. i love it!

February 3, 2015 at 6:58 pm

what combination of the oils do you use? Castor oil vs olive oil

January 29, 2015 at 5:06 am

What about really dry sensitive skin

January 29, 2015 at 5:09 am

If you sign up for email on the link you gave us today, you get 20% off your first purchase. That’s awesome. Can’t wait to try! Thanks so much for what you do for us Cara! By the way, your baby boy is gorgeous!

January 29, 2015 at 5:13 am

I have really dry and sometimes combo skin but I use coconut oil to wash my face, similar to the cleansing balm I rub between my hands and then massage into my face, then take a warm to hotish wash cloth and remove the coconut oil. Sometimes I will repeat the process an additional time to be sure I remove all my makeup. I also use a makeup wipe initially before the oil to get rid of some of my makeup and follow with the oil. Coconut oil is antibacterial and antimicrobial, I use this method in the summer as well and it working great, I have not noticed increased breakouts with this method and have been using it for a over a year. This is my own method I adapted after Googling ” the oil cleansing method” which uses a Combe of either almond or olive with castor oil in different proportions depending on your skin type. I find that coconut oil is an inexpensive option for oil cleansing and it is good for your hair and your can shave with it, what is not to love?

Amber Wave
      January 29, 2015 at 5:44 am

I started using coconut oil a couple months back for the OCM (oil cleansing method) and my face started to break out slowly. I found out that coconut oil is comedogenic (causes breakouts/acne) and I switched to mineral oil (baby oil) which is not comedogenic. I’ve really enjoyed it as a cleanser/makeup remover and it leaves my face feeling hydrated and not too oily. I also remove it with a warm moistened cloth. The thing I loved about coconut oil is that it is solid (in my house at least because we keep it cold) so it doesn’t make a mess like other oils..Oh well. Background: my skin is dry to combination and mildly sensitive.

January 29, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Amber, I found that using CO did cause breakouts but only for a little while. Its kind of a detox time. But I found that I prefer to use Jojoba oil. It is naturally anti-bacterial and i think sinks into my skin better for nourishment but also doesn’t feel as oily after. I also add some essential oils to it as well to help nourish my skin. I have oily to combo skin depending on the time of year.

Amanda Michelle
          January 30, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Coconut oil is not good for the skin, look it up any dermatology site. It clogs pores. There are so many other natural oils you can use that don’t. Coconut has a rating of 4- which is high, 5 is the highest.

• Elizabeth
            January 30, 2015 at 9:37 pm

It really depends on the person… I’ve been using coconut oil for over a year and never had problems with it. I know lots of other women who use it as well. So the rating just means that it is more likely to clog pores than other oils, not necessarily that it will.

Summer Ann
    January 29, 2015 at 5:45 am

Sounds awesome! I have yet to find a cleanser that I love so I will have to try this one.

Summer Ann

January 29, 2015 at 6:19 am

I have super dry sensitive skin and I use the Clinique take the day off cleansing balm. There’s no fragrance so it doesn’t break me out and the cost is around $25 so in the world of cleansing balms its a bargain. It’s wokrs well for me and my skin is softer and not as noticibly dry.

Jessica @ wearitforless
    January 29, 2015 at 6:40 am

Just this winter I learned to fight oil with oil (coconut) and it has done wonders!

January 29, 2015 at 6:41 am

How does it work for oily skin? Mine is normal to slightly dry in winter but always oily when the weather warms up. I’m prone to breakouts too. Mostly on the jaw and neck.

January 29, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I’m prone to breakouts on my jaw as well and coconut oil (while I’m a fan of it for a dozen other things), did not seem to do my face any favors! HOWEVER, give jojoba oil a shot! I use desert essence brand and my sister uses NOW brand. Both are fantastic. (I have bought the cheap, bulk kind and my skin didn’t respond to it the same way, so i used it up on legs etc.) I have been using jojoba for two years now and my skin is much much happier! I massage my face with it and then remove using exfoliating cotton rounds or just buffing it off with a dry washcloth. Some people prefer using a warm, damp washcloth. Flaxseed oil works great too (you may want to add a drop of peppermint oil or something if you don’t care for the smell) and is more readily available as people take it orally as well for heart health– can often find it in the vitamin section of Walmart/Target etc. As for jawline breakouts, I add a drop of tea tree oil to my cream concealer so that it blends more smoothly and also has the added blemish-fighting properties.

Rebecca C
    January 29, 2015 at 6:56 am

I’ve used coconut oil for a year now and love it! My skin was extreamly acne prone before, but using coconut oil has cleared it up beautifully. I look forward to washing my face too! Ditching soaps and harsh formulas was a healthy move for my skin. Wish I had tried oil years ago! Skin type: oily. (Adding oil to my already veeeerry oily skin seemed insane, but it has helped so much. It seems to help control excess oil, but I can’t prove that. My face just feels so much better.)

January 29, 2015 at 6:58 am

I’m all about skin care, but that is crazy to spend that much on a make up remover! Coconut Oil works just as well and it’s 100% natural.

Emerald Earrings
    January 29, 2015 at 7:19 am

About six months ago I took the “oil cleans oil” train of thought to heart and started massaging my face with baby oil after I wash it. I only do it about twice a week, but I love it! It’s made a huge difference in the texture of my skin.

January 29, 2015 at 7:37 am

Boots Botanics organic cleansing balm works well on my face.

January 29, 2015 at 7:39 am

I’m a big coconut oil fan as well. I’ve never noticed any breakouts from using it….and it’s the best eye makeup remover I’ve ever seen! It’s not too expensive, lasts quite a while and has other uses! I decided this year to take better care of my skin too; cleaning my face every night and drinking more water during the day. After a month of just changing these two things, I have the best skin I’ve ever had! Looking forward to trying something like the LUNA you posted yesterday (I may try the budget friendly Sephora brand version one someone posted about first!) to improve my skin even more!!! And of course my makeup routine will make my skin fabulous during the day when I start using your new and improved IIID Foundation 🙂

January 29, 2015 at 8:04 am

Yay, I posted about the budget friendly sephora version. Im thinking about trying it too with coconut oil. I believe in splurging for skin care, but I also like to try out more budget friendly versions or travel sizes first so its not a total loss if it doesn’t work for me. I find that I waste a lot of money on products because they just don’t “do it” for me, and so Id at least like to try things out first with something that is similar before I totally take the plunge.

January 29, 2015 at 8:13 am

I just looked at the Sephora site to try to find it. Which product was it? I didn’t read your post from yesterday. Thanks!

January 29, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Katie thanks so much for posting about it! Giving it a try and if it seems to work, I’ll splurge at some point and get the one Cara loves!

January 29, 2015 at 7:40 am

Does this also help with brightening and evening out skin tone (or if there’s something else I should try)? I’m looking for something that helps with dark spots.

Megan M.
    January 29, 2015 at 7:46 am

I have gotten away from it but when I was doing the OCM with sesame oil my skin looked the best it ever had. I haven’t ever tried a balm though. Wonder if a balm could be DIYed.

January 29, 2015 at 7:56 am

I second the Boots Botanics Organic Cleansing Balm. I love it! I’m lazy sometimes and don’t want to wait for my water to heat up so I skip it but I notice a huge difference when I use it. If I do it in the morning my makeup goes on so much smoother.

January 29, 2015 at 8:25 am

I have found that using organic Vegetable Glycerin (health food stores, Whole Foods) on a dry face (do NOT pre-wet your face) works well with my acne-prone, oily skin – I only use about the size of a nickel and find I don’t even need a follow up moisturizer. Although I would recommend NOT using it to remove eye makeup as it can sting like soap – for that I massage organic Jojoba Oil over my eyes. For rinsing, I use the Makeup Eraser cloth that Cara had recommended a few months back for my whole face, including eyes and my skin does not feel tacky or oily.

January 29, 2015 at 8:31 am

I have oily/combination skin depending on the season and have recently discovered hemp oil! Oils have always made me breakout in the past – I have tried almond, olive, etc. Hemp oil is really light and so far no zits! Just thought I would share.

January 29, 2015 at 8:39 am

Weird question, do the towels get all gunky and gross? Maybe I’m not hygienic but I’m not looking to wash a face towel for every day of the week.

January 30, 2015 at 7:45 pm

not sure how it is with balms, but i use a mix of castor and jojoba oils, and they seem to rinse out pretty decently with hot water. just in case though, i only use each towel twice, and i oil cleanse on alternate days, so each towel ends up lasting me 4 days. i bought a 10-pack of face cloths which i use exclusively for this purpose, so i never run out between laundry days.

January 29, 2015 at 8:45 am

I have oily/sometimes dry/sensitive skin and like using Ren’s Rosa Centifolia Purity Cleansing Balm. It’s a bit cheaper and smells like roses 🙂 It also comes with the muslin cloth.

January 29, 2015 at 8:47 am

Boots Botanicals Cleansing Balm from Target does the same thing, and it is AWESOME. Highly recommend it. She talks about it (and more expensive options) and her facial massage routine.
    I’ve been doing this for awhile, and it does wonders for cleaning my skin and also to de-puff a bloaty face.

January 29, 2015 at 8:49 am

I used to work for Clinique when I was 20 (a whopping 15 years ago 🙂 and I remember learning to use oil for oily skin. They say that when you strip the oil away from your skin, your skin then produces more oil to replace what was taken away. Therfore, if you put oil on your skin, your skin doesn’t feel the need to produce it. Pretty cool, huh?

Now that I have very flaky skin I am super interested in these balms or oil cleaning. I appreciate reading all of your posts and gathering as much info as possible.

Karen Beldon
    January 29, 2015 at 8:57 am

Thanks for all this information and your honesty…I’ve always dreaded washing my face at night like it’s a huge chore too! 🙂 I have the clarisonic and like it but never replace the brush like I know you are supposed to, so might have to invest in the Luna instead. Also, when you use the balm do you remove your eye makeup with it too? And if so, do you use the cloth or just your fingers? Thanks a million for your input/advice on these kinds of products!

January 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

First-time commenter. I love your blog! Can’t stop moving from one entry to another to learn something new.

I’m not a brand pusher. I think different things work for different people. I’ve had issues where I’d have success with a specific brand but after using it awhile with great results my skin would suddenly begin to revolt and I couldn’t use that brand anymore. Everyone’s skin/chemistry is different. And, like you said, the weather even plays a huge role in how we react to things. Not to mention crazy hormones.

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil is the product I’d recommend without doubt. I’d seen this bottle in the back of magazines and thought it was just some weird gimmick kind of like a tv infomercial. Oddly enough, I’ve never seen these products on tv and you don’t hear much about them either. They send you a catalog in the mail with some samples attached. It’s looks kind of cheesy/cheap. Even their packaging isn’t spectacular. But once I tried it, I was hooked. I’ve noticed quite a difference between using it sporadically but then switching to using it daily. My skin is very sensitive. I have allergies to all sorts of things. But I don’t have problems with this. I also use their Olive Soap in the morning and some nights as an extra bit of cleansing/moisturizing. ( – in case you’re curious)

January 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

Coconut oil! And also clarisonic. I have recently (one month) been using Rodan + Fields Reverse regimen and have seen a noticeable improvement in my skin. Less discoloration from sun damage and it helps firm up skin also. I agree with you – it’s the skin – on your face! You don’t get more! So I don’t mind a splurge in that area if it’s tried and true. Your skin looks amazing by the way!

January 29, 2015 at 9:26 am

I need, need, need this in my life. My skin needs some desperate hydration this winter!
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

January 29, 2015 at 9:27 am

After discovering Caroline Hirons blog, I too started cleansing with a balm and white wash cloth every night. My skin has never been better! I use the Clinique Take the Day Off Balm also at Sephora.

January 29, 2015 at 10:27 am

I’m always so scared to use an oil cleanser because I have oily skin and acne but I’ve heard so many good things about them actually helping with that, i mean… what?!?! I might have to give it a go Daxidream x

January 30, 2015 at 7:54 pm

definitely do! most conventional cleansers strip the skin of its natural oils, which causes it to overproduce sebum to compensate. you want to gently remove the excess oil without stripping the skin. jojoba oil is very similar to skin’s natural sebum, so it ‘tricks’ the skin into thinking it has enough sebum already and doesn’t need to produce more. castor oil is also great for oily skin because it removes impurities. there are many other oils you can use, though, so it’s something you’d have to research for yourself. many people choose not to moisturize after oil cleansing, but i find it doesn’t hurt. then in the morning, since you have oily skin stick to a light, gel moisturizer.

January 29, 2015 at 10:52 am

LUSh 9 to 5 is a cheaper version,en_US,pd.html

January 29, 2015 at 11:14 am

Clinique has a cleansing balm that I really like! It also comes in a large jar like that one.

January 29, 2015 at 11:16 am

I just started washing my face at night with coconut oil and my complexion has cleared up as well. Once a week I also have a micro-derm set that I use and the combo of those has really helped.

January 29, 2015 at 11:19 am

Go to and look under skincare cleansing brushes and tools. You’ll see the sephora collection brush and precision cleansing pad. They are both under 10.00! I use one of the cleansing brushes and I love it.

January 29, 2015 at 11:22 am

I love skin balms, so this is on my list now!

Cara Richman
    January 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

I use Eve Lom cleansing balm with a muslin cloth. Seriously the best cleanser I’ve ever found but also pricey! I can even use it to remove heavy eye makeup with no irritation. I’ll have to check out this cleanser and see if the price is better and quality comparable.

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      January 29, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I love that stuff. I wish there was an Eve Lom spa in the US that I could go to <3

Cara Richman
        January 30, 2015 at 5:40 am

I know! Eve Lom is definitely more pricey than the Colleen Rothschild product. If it ain’t broke, though. 😀

January 29, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I have oily skin and I’m in love with The Body Shop Camomille Cleansing Butter (wich also turns into a sort of oil when rubbed on your hands)! It’s what I use every single day to remove my makeup (even the harder to remove waterproof kind) and it takes everything off leaving my skin feeling refreshed and hydrated but not AT ALL oily. I’m not sure if you can get The Body Shop products in the US (I’m from Portugal), but if you can, you should really give it a try. Over here it costs 14€ so it should be around 16$ which I find very affordable.

January 29, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I have been using DHC Skincare exclusively for over 10 years now, including their original Deep Cleansing Oil. I have very fair and sensitive skin, including rosacea and eczema, and their products keep my skin clear and radiant. I feel like they are a best kept secret, but shouldn’t be!

January 29, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm all the way!!!

January 29, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Do you remove your makeup first or will this take care of that too also what about eye makeup? Thanks!

Krisztina @
    January 29, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I just started using something similar, and I feel the same way!! Love to wash my face and do the whole moisturizing process when I used to feel it was a chore. It gives me the similar effect of aquaphor for holding in moisture and smoothing wrinkles but is even more effective. Love it!

January 29, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I have very oily skin and I LOVE OCM (Oil Cleaning Method)! My skin has improved markedly since I switched! I even think it is less oily due to this change. I use pure jojoba oil from amazon or Trader Joes and it is great, but you can really use any kind of oil. I used to have pretty heavy duty blackheads and redness and that is all completely gone. I highly recommend it to friends.

January 29, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I second the jojoba oil!!!!! Has changed my skin! Flaxseed oil is good too.

January 29, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I have tried a few of them to no avail..I may give this a try. I wonder how it will do on aging skin. I know you mostly cater to the younger crowd but love your blog!

Ludy Amezcua
    January 29, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Loved this post, I’m especially intrigued with the Luna mini. Will have to try it. Thanks! xoxo

January 29, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Boots Botanics 97% Organic Cleansing Balm (comes with a muslin cloth as well) – and for roughtly $8-10…it’s great!

January 29, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I am wondering if anyone has used this with cystic hormonal acne? All along the hair and jaw line. I’m afraid to try something so oily since hormonal acne is caused by an increase in the secretion of oil glands. I’ve been using the clarisonic sensitive brush for a long time and it works wonderfully when I don’t have cystic acne flare ups (like now when I’m nursing), but the clarisonic doesn’t really help with cystic acne. Since I can’t use any medicine while nursing, I would love to know what may work! Please don’t answer if you’ve never experienced cystic acne. haha

January 29, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Suzette! I may have an option for you! I have experienced the completely awful cystic acne too . A few months ago I came across and company called Live Crude. It’s an oil cleansing method and the developer herself had acneic, red and inflamed skin. I have been using it and I am loving the results so far! It might be something that would help you as well!

January 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Hi, I’m an esthetician, and have had several clients whose gluten allergy exposed itself through cystic acne… Might be something for you to look into! Sorry you’re suffering from something so painful with a new baby!

January 29, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Yes I second this. Would love to hear about oil pulling on someone with really bad acne. I have had acne for years. Just finished whole 30 to see if cutting out “bad” foods would help. My face cleared up during the first half but then pimples came back during the second half. Feel like I’ve tried a million different products but nothing has made a lasting difference. I would LOVE if Cara could address skin care for people with acne. I’m so scared to put anything on my skin.

January 29, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Hi! Rodan + Fields has a wonderful regimen called Unblemish. If you would like more info you can check it out at or I would be glad to help you.

January 29, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Have you tried the Clarisonic acne head? I had terrible cystic acne on my jawline and had tried everything for years. Within 2 months of using the Clarisonic it cleared up and is gone for good. I use it with Glycolix 2-2 cleanser and Aczone topical treatment. I’ve also always found that drinking lots and lots of water and cutting back on sugar helps a lot.

January 29, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I’ve been wanting to switch to oil because I feel like my skin is miserably sensitive lately and my eyelashes are falling out when I scrub my eye makeup off! (Yes, I’ll be asking my Dr. about it soon!) I found this video just the other day and I think its very helpful:
    I’m planning to try out the DHC she mentions. She review various products at different price points. Anything that will melt the makeup off my face so that I don’t have to scrub at it sounds perfect! Sorry if linking to someone else’s video is rude.

January 29, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I just ordered Banila Co – Clean it Zero from a Korean company. It have read its praises from several sources and from what I have researched, Asian skincare products provide a high quality at a much smaller price tag than our American options. I am excited to try it. I am a big fan of the double cleanse – oil or balm cleanser to remove makeup followed by Cerave lotion to clean, plus acid toners and moisturizers/serums/oils to maintain proper pH and protect the moisture barrier.

Sarah Catherine
    January 29, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I think the cheapest way to achieve these same results is to make your own cleansing oil–especially since you can customize it for your own skin needs! Castor oil is so great for oily skin. I use a blend of castor oil, grapeseed oil and oregano oil since my skin is definitely a combo (oily and super dry) and I break out soo easily.

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    January 29, 2015 at 2:12 pm

At times like this I wish I had unlimited funds for skin products!! This stuff sounds amazing!!!

January 29, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Does anyone else have a problem w/ oil irritating their eyes? vaseline is the worst but any oil will do it. I won’t use a cleanser that I can’t take off the majority of my eye make up, so oil is out for me. I find the cheap Aveeno calming foam wash is easy and non irritating, and cleans great.

February 16, 2015 at 2:07 pm

The Yon Ka GEL NETTOYANT is the best face wash I’ve used for removing eye makeup during a regular face wash.

January 29, 2015 at 3:59 pm has cleansing oil for $25 for 4oz which lasts 6 months and is made handmade fresh and is completely organic. I personally love it because of the borage seed oil which balances all my skin types thru every season and combates my redness, plus the creator is a local maker where I’m paying for quality ingredients and no expensive marketing campaigns….

January 29, 2015 at 4:32 pm

There is a great budget friendly one from The Body Shop. My favorite one is from Ren. It is awesome if you like the smell of roses.

January 29, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I’ve been using Boots Hot Cloth cleansing balm. I get it at Target for around $8. Works great! I have been so tempted to try this Coleen Rothschild one though… maybe when (if) my Boots one ever runs out! I also use my cleansing brush with it. Great tip!

January 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I’m an esthetician and have always seen positive results on my chronic acne clients when I switch them from the stripping “oil free” and “acne” products to the old lady creams (myself included)! It’s because when you strip your skin, your sebaceous glands go into overdrive to try and replenish what it was just robbed of. Thanks for sharing this product, I’m eager to check it out! Our skin is our largest organ, why would we not make taking care of it and feeding it good nutrients a priority?

Yvette Conn
    January 29, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Wish she was more affordable or had samples.

Nicole Walker
    January 29, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Cara! I love the idea of a cleansing balm, but tried the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and wasn’t really a fan, hopefully I will like this Colleen Rothschild one, any others you would recommend?

xoxo Nicole

Glow On
    January 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I like to use jojoba oil on my skin. I’m also prone to breakouts and I’ve found this oil to be great. Apparently it has the same composition as your skin’s sebum and therefore will actually help clean out pores.

January 29, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Sounds nice, but very expensive! Unfortunately way out of my budget 🙁

January 29, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I love all your information Cara, but that being said for those of us with problems with sensitive skin and fragrances we need some other ideas. I was all ready to buy these products and I looked through the ingredients and thought I’m sold but I watched the videos and she says the renewal cream is fragranced with lavender. I’m super allergic to lavender so now I’m back to square one. I’m not fan of coconut oil for my face I’ve tried all that. Any other ideas?

January 29, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Thank you! I have been looking for a skin care line! I am needing a good eye cream. Any suggestions? I have heard La Mer is awesome but the price is crazy. I would so appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all of your awesomeness :))

January 30, 2015 at 4:33 am

Cara- I LOVE this product! I have oily skin so using an oil cleanser seems counter intuitive, but it actually has helped balance my skin more than anything else. I also use a SleepClean pillowcase…it helps ensure I’m not wasting my hard earned cash by sleeping on a dirty pillow after I wash it. I can’t wait to try using it with my clarisonic! Xo

January 30, 2015 at 6:03 am

I’m 17 weeks pregnant and something funky is going on with my skin. Hormones, winter, etc., who knows. The moisturizer I’ve previously used this time of year is now irritating my skin and it’s a FAB product so I’m a little surprised. And my skin has been super dry. After reading your cleansing balm post I got up the nerve to try an oil cleanser from Garnier. Not the same thing you’re talking about here, but still an oil, and on the affordable side. I tried it last night for the first time, and with a cerave moisturizer – voila! I’m guessing I won’t need the extra moisturizer after I get this dryness under control.

January 30, 2015 at 6:12 am

Can someone answer a few questions for me?

Using oil is a new concept for me. I have dry, sensitive skin and currently use a very cheap basic cream cleanser and moisturizer and then exfoliate with a simple, cheap St. Ives exfoliate once or twice a week. I have acne, even with dry skin. My cheeks are constantly a pinky-red. I’m in my 30’s and TIRED of acne.

Can someone describe the process of using oil a bit more for me? Do certain ones work better for dry skin? Do I still use a moisturizer after, even though it’s an oil? Or, does the oil itself do the work of cleaning and moisturizing (I assume this is the case).

Last night I tried using coconut oil to take off my makeup and wash my face in one action. But, I felt a bit dry after. I didn’t put on moisturizer after, for fearing too much oil and break out more. I don’t feel dry this morning, but I’m not sure how to continue and what to try.

January 30, 2015 at 7:57 am

I’m not a professional, but I can fill you in on what I do. I’m also in my 30’s and once I hit 30 had some of the worst acne I ever had! I was one of those annoying teenagers, who very rarely had a pimple, so this was ALL new to me! For a month I’ve changed my skin care routine and I can say, I have the best skin I’ve ever had.

I use coconut oil to clean my face and eye makeup off. I then use the St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer (which I learned from Cara’s blog over a year ago or so.) I do this seven nights a week before bed. Then every morning I once again moisturize with the St. Ives before applying my make up. A couple nights a week, after using the coconut oil, I will use the St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub just to exfoliate a bit, then use the moisturizer.

I hope this helps! Good luck! 🙂

January 30, 2015 at 10:43 am

This helps A LOT actually. Thank you for describing your routine for me! I’m really ready to try to get my skin cleared up but am never sure what to try. I will try what you’ve described and give it a month or so.

Mindy Noel
          January 30, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I’m glad I could help! I’ve received so much advice from reading Cara’s blog and everyone’s comments, I’m glad I could help someone myself 🙂

January 30, 2015 at 8:18 pm

oils are great because they are moisturizing (the right ones, at least!). you can definitely layer with a regular moisturizer, but you may not find it necessary. since you have dry skin, i would recommend always moisturizing after cleansing (even if you’re cleansing with oil).

it’s a bit pricy, but i’d recommend starting with something basic like argan oil (which has already taken the hair care world by storm). you can get josie maran argan oil from sephora – there’s a regular version and a light version. to moisturize, you should dampen your skin, warm a few drops of oil in your hands, and massage onto your face. a little goes a long way, so don’t use too much! applying to damp skin will help spread the oil evenly.

January 30, 2015 at 6:33 am

I use Liz Earle face polish which also comes with the cloth and it is around $34

February 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Oh, yay. I was reading this to see if anyone had tried the Liz Earle. I just ordered some, should be here any day. How do you like it?

January 30, 2015 at 7:56 am

I’m loving Cailyn Dissolve It Make Up Remover and cleaner with my Clairsonic. It’s the same size (100ml) for $36. I always am amazed at how it takes off the most stubborn eye makeup.

January 30, 2015 at 10:23 am

Would you compare this to Eve Lom? It’s one of my favorites, and I was hoping that the Liz Earle was comparable, but I just didn’t feel that way after trying it.

Amanda Michelle Trepagnier
    January 30, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I understand the coconut oil craze but it really pains me to see so many people putting coconut oil on their faces. Coconut oil has a Comedogenic Rating of 4. The highest and least tolerated substances are a 5! The following oils have a 0 rating if you want something that least likely to give you any problems.
    • Argan oil
    • Hemp seed oil
    • Safflower oil (high linoleic acid only)
    • Shea butter
    • Sunflower oil
    Here’s to happy skin.

January 30, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I use Clinique Take the Day Off cleansing balm. it’s the only thing I’ve found that completely removes my makeup without irritating my eyes. It’s like $25-30.

January 30, 2015 at 2:55 pm

First off, I have to be honest, I don’t have oily skin at all, but I thought I would share my favorite moisturizing products. First is Josie Maran, Milk and GlamGlow ThirstyMud. They are staples in my skin care and I can not go a winter without them.

January 30, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Clinique has a take the day off Balm and oil that I really like and it’s not major $$. I currently am using the chamomile balm from The Body Shop and I also have Ultrabland from Lush. I like the one from BodyShop better, I just make sure to gently cleanse after with a very mild cleanser.

January 31, 2015 at 8:50 am

I find that The Body Shop’s Camomile Cleansing Butter does a great job and is somewhat affordable. My skin is terribly oily and I find it hydrating and not too greasy at all.

Alia Preston
    February 2, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I have been using Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil for almost a year now. I have big pores and oily skin. I absolutely LOVE this stuff. You use it on dry skin then wash it off. In the summer when I feel really greasy I may use soap after the oil, but honestly its not needed. My skin feels clean, not dry and not greasy. I think is pretty amazing. But I am very curious to try Colleens stuff, I’m 30 and pregnant your skin deff changes.. A lot! thanks so much for this post!

February 2, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I have used Dizzolv’It by Cailyn and I love it. Smells amazing and not oily. It is expensive so I have actually been using Ponds. It is working great so far!

Valentines Day Makeup! | Maskcara
    February 10, 2015 at 4:30 am

[…] before I even start with the makeup! I don’t think it’s ever looked this clear! This wash/moisture + this tool are rocking my […]

Jessica Roney
    February 10, 2015 at 9:50 am

Cara do you use the Colleen cleansing balm again in the morning to wash your face or do you use a different cleanser? Just curious if it’s necessary again in the morning since it seems that it’s main purpose is makeup removal.

February 12, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I’ve been loving Neal’s Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm-it’s amazing. You can cleanse with it or moisturize with it. It’s super natural and so decadent. Also so pricey but such a good splurge.

February 19, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I have very oily skin, and about 5 years ago I found my HG cleansing oil: Muji for sensitive skin. No turning back since. It’s very simple to use as cleansing oils (as opposed to oils in general) breaks down with water.

If you like your cleansers more solid, try the Burt’s Bees Orange Essence cleanser. I’m sure you will love it. It doesn’t wash perfectly off with water, so need the washcloth and warm water, that’s why I like it less than the cleansing oil solution above. Good luck.

February 24, 2015 at 6:45 pm this company is oil cleansing as well but just a little easier on the wallet 🙂

March 6, 2015 at 8:23 am

I used to swear by the expensive Eve Lom and Skinceuticals. Then I discovered the brand M2. And it’s changed my skin in such a terrific way, I’ll never go back to the expensive stuff. Also this line has very little steps as I’m too lazy for a bunch of steps. It has the natural stuff of Malic and Mandelic acids which are antibacterial and other good stuff for the face. You wash as usual, but leave the suds on for 30seconds for the antibacterial stuff to get it’s time, then rinse. In the AM, you just use the moisturizer. In the evening, I add the MAMA serum before the moisturizer. Yes it’s the same moisturizer for day and night! I used to have the most horrible huge painful cystic acne and blackheads. I started using M2 in January and have not had one cystic acne pimple! My skin is soft and the redness is slowly improving as well.
    I have combination/oily/dry/acne skin and this stuff works for ALL skin types and good for the wallet.

May 26, 2015 at 7:30 am

Cara, would you still recommend this brand? Just curious to see if you’re still loving it or not!

clash of clans juwelen hack
    August 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to
    be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that
    they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing
    without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.

hay day hack
    August 16, 2015 at 5:07 pm

If some one wishes to be updated with hottest technologies therefore he must be go to see
    this website and be up to date daily.

January 11, 2016 at 11:12 am

Hi Cara! Just bought this cleansing balm, and a few other travel sized products based on your recommendation, thank you!! Yeah, I’m only a couple days in, and I know I shouldn’t jump to conclusions too quickly, but I immediately fell in love! Thank you for the great tip…love your thoughtful product suggestions! Have a wonderful week!