Hair Hair Tutorials

The Bigger the hair….

So…I’m REALLLY liking my hair length right now, which is somewhat shocking to me.
I don’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t want my hair just a littttle bit longer (even including days when it was halfway down my back!)
Have I finally recovered from my Long Hair Addiction?

My #1 favorite thing about the mid length is that you can get SO MUCH BODY!
It’s also pretty darn versatile and with sticky-grabby-chubby-little hands making a big comeback in my life, it’s a relief there isn’t miles of it to cling on!

I have been having fun experimenting with different ways to style it and this new one is topping my favorites list. Because it’s so big and bodified and also because it’s really easy and doesn’t take much time.
I hope you like it! And be sure to tag me if you try it so I can see your gorgeousness!!
(For those of you who asked what to tell your stylist to get this cut: my sister chops it a little bit above bra strap length and in lived-in layers that start at the chin.)

bighair bighair2

What I used:

Oribe Surfcomber Mousse
Ion 1″ Curling Iron
T3 Blow dryer and diffuser
Redken Windblown

Love you lots:)

signature

38 Comments

Lindsey B
    January 22, 2015 at 4:08 am

Love this! What was the “wind blown” spray you used?

Lori Johnson
      January 22, 2015 at 4:58 am

Lindsey ~ I was just wondering the same thing! Somehow I just happened to see all the way down kind of hidden between pix and the video, that it’s Oribe Surfcomber mousse ;D Idk how I managed to see that ~ I’m still waiting for my coffee to start working it’s magic lol. <3 Thanks for another great post, Cara!

Lori Johnson
      January 22, 2015 at 5:06 am

Oops’ pay no attention to my last post lol! My coffee really hadn’t kicked in ;D What I meant to say was its “Wind Blown” by Redken.

Lindsey B
        January 22, 2015 at 6:00 am

Thank you!!! Idk how I missed that the first time around…probably because I hadn’t had coffee either 😉

Jen
      January 22, 2015 at 9:26 am

She posted about this a while back: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod11331099 🙂 I bought it on her rec and it is fantastic and smells heavenly!

Liz Tea Bee (@LizzTeaBee)
    January 22, 2015 at 4:42 am

Does this mean big hair is back? During the summer if I let my hair air dry it looks like yours did before you used the curling iron. I was born for great 80s hair and I’m disgruntled that the 80s were over by the time I was doing my own hair.

Cara
      January 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

YES! Let. It. Air. Dry. (and then send me a photo cause I’m dying to see your hair perfection looking like that!

Jordan
    January 22, 2015 at 6:02 am

I just had this exact same cut last week! I was a Long Hair Addict too and was frustrated that it always looked blah. I had my stylist chop off 4 inches and I LOVE it! So much body!

Emerald Earrings
    January 22, 2015 at 7:18 am

Oh no! You’re making me want to cut my hair!

Melissa
    January 22, 2015 at 8:05 am

I have stick straight hair, no natural curl even when air drying. Would you recommend the same products? Thank you! Love your blog!

Summer Ann (@SimplySummerAnn)
      January 22, 2015 at 8:21 am

Love the body too! I am from Texas so big hair is a must. 🙂 My hair is long and fine (not an ounce of curl here either) so I really have to really work at the volume. Dry shampoo for texture and teasing with minimal hairspray have been it for me!

XOXO,
      Summer Ann

Gail
    January 22, 2015 at 8:52 am

That is exactly my hair for the last several years, sometimes with bangs. Ironically and as fantastic as it looks on you Cara, I’m bored to death of it… But unless I go significantly shorter , this is about all you can do with long wavy hair.

elena2020
    January 22, 2015 at 10:53 am

Gorgeus hair, absolutely love it!!

Lacie R.
    January 22, 2015 at 11:20 am

What do you do if blow drying your hair makes it frizzy? With this style, how do you keep the frizz down??

Ari
    January 22, 2015 at 11:38 am

Super cute! Love your color too!

Nicola
    January 22, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Love the video showing how to use a diffuser, I’ve had one sitting in my vanity for years and no idea what I’m really supposed to do with it! My hair is just about two inches shorter than yours so I think this will look really cute!!! Love your video tutorials so I can really see how things are working, way better for me than written out instructions. Keep up the fun stuff <3

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    January 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I love how full this looks!! My hair is quite a bit longer, but I still want to try this style 🙂

Rebecca C
    January 22, 2015 at 3:59 pm

This is my favorite hair length as well! I had long hair (to my waist) for many years. I cut it after my youngest was born six years ago. Haven’t gone back! Its so easy to style and, like you said, so. much.body! You look great! 🙂

Jenn
    January 22, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Hi Cara! Your hair looks great! I love having big hair and used to spend a lot of time curling my hair every day (it’s very straight and falls flat easily). I received these rollers as a gift last year and they totally changed my life – have you ever tried them? http://www.calistatools.com/Department/Tools

Ale
    January 22, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Love it! You are stunning!

Genewrangler
    January 22, 2015 at 8:28 pm

You look more gorgeous than ever. Evidently motherhood looks good on you! I love your blog, your love of people really shines through!

V
    January 22, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Any updates on the new makeup shipping dates for people who have placed their orders on opening day?

Sarah
      January 23, 2015 at 6:15 am

I’m anxious too—can’t find any place that gives an update on the makeup shipping.

Rebecca
        January 24, 2015 at 2:00 pm

I am wondering this too if anyone knows more than me!

Sarah
    January 23, 2015 at 2:33 am

You’re gorgeous! Your hair as well xx

Genessa
    January 23, 2015 at 4:28 am

Just wondering if there is a less expensive dupe for the surfcomber mousse for girls on a budget? I’m sure it works great but I can’t justify spending $37 on mousse. And I’m pretty sure my husband would drop dead if I did!

Nicole Walker
    January 23, 2015 at 5:15 am

I love your hair this length and talk about volume…I am always looking to add more oomph to my shoulder length locks so thanks for the great tips!

xoxo Nicole

Cait
    January 23, 2015 at 10:03 am

I love your lip color. What color is it. I love you hair length and am seriously considering cutting mine. I have really long hair and LOVE it but I’m looking for something new. I feel blessed that my only dilemma in life is trying to figure out if I want to cut my hair or not.

Claudia
    January 23, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I loved your tutorial video! I’m so going to try this!! xo

Jessica Salisbury
    January 23, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Your hair looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it!

-Jessica

Erika
    January 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Tried this hair just now and I love it! So much body, but kind of scrappy looking so that you don’t look like a giant haired beauty queen. It’s perfect! I used some Deva curl styling cream mixed with some frizz ease serum and it’s not a frizzy mess, just soft and great.

Lucinda
    January 25, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Having grown up in Texas…we like to say the bigger the hair the closer to God. I joke but love this look!

Kelly
    January 25, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I agree, that length is gorgeous!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

Kelly berge
    January 25, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Hi Cara,
    Wondering what lip and blush your wearing in the video? Looks gorgeous! 🙂

creativesparkmommy
    January 26, 2015 at 5:31 pm

What would you recommend as a cheaper version of the surfcomber mousse?

Lindsay
    January 28, 2015 at 8:31 am

Cara, great tutorial! Where did you get your necklace? I love it! Thanks for all the great makeup tutorials and product info.

colby
    January 30, 2015 at 9:26 am

You can only do this if you have naturally straight hair. Myhair is very wavy curly and frizzy. If I did this, it would look like an afro!

Long bob? Lob? Oh well...I got my haircut! - The Beauty Counselor