Tip Tuesday: Good as gold.

I’ve always been a huge fan of cheap jewelry. I buy adorable rings that I love for 5 bucks and wear them a few times and then they tarnish and turn my fingers green and/or I take them off to shower and I lose em.

Not a great long term plan.

A few years ago my Mama gave me a really simple gold band (that many of you guys have asked about over the years) it was real gold and I haven’t taken it off since. It was then that I realized that for me to actually keep and wear a ring, it has to be one I can’t take off.

So I figured it had to be real gold which meant I didn’t get rings for a long time, cause $$$$$.

Until I found the ultimate compromise!

Now stop me if everyone else is well aware of this and I’m just waaaaaay late to the party but…
GOLD FILLED. DO you know about this stuff? It’s got all the benefits of gold (no rubbing off, no turning green, no need to remove) for a far less heart crushing price.

I’ve been wearing this little handmade beauty I found at an etsy store (for $29) non-stop for the last three months and it’s in perfection condition!

So for any of you who are like me and are looking for a more permanent ring situation (speaking of temporary rings, has anyone had any luck keeping those darn midi-rings on their fingers? cause I love them but they last me like 45 minutes before they come up missing…?anyway) I gathered some of my favorite rings from various etsy stores to inspire your new found gold filling love:)

Pretty stackers
Square Stone
Zig Zag

Hope you had a good weekend!

January 20, 2015 at 6:05 am

I saw somewhere (probably Pinterest?) that you can spray cheap jewelry with some clear glaze to stop it from tarnishing and/or turning your fingers green. Anyone tried this? I’m also a fan of cheap jewels but hate when “gold” stuff turns pink within a few wears…

January 21, 2015 at 12:20 am

I’m interested to hear if any has tried it too!

January 20, 2015 at 7:18 am

morning cara, I am a jeweller who for years struggled with the dilemma that gold is so expensive, yet some of my best friends and most wonderful clients love gold and I hate, just hate telling them the price of something in solid gold…so a couple of years ago I got down to researching and found an excellent gold plater…she is my “vermeil goddess” I call her…the most wonderful gold vermeil (aka plating) I have ever seen. so i now have an entire line of gold vermeil necklaces and they sell like crazy. little wishbones, peace signs, four leaf clovers etc. all hand made, so you get the personal touch and they look like solid gold. but there is NO NICKEL! super mega important for many, and unfortunately lots of gold filled jewellery has nickel as its base. so anyway, this is a shameless plea for self promotion, but here goes 🙂 if you are ever interested in offering my little line of gold vermeil to your followers (who if they are as loyal as me, read and look up everything you recommend), I would be happy to run a special on your blog/site for all maskcara followers. thanks for taking the time to read this new mama! I have two wee ones myself and I know how busy you are! xoxo heather

January 20, 2015 at 7:30 am

I am glad I am not the only one who struggles with midi-rings. I’m glad someone finally spoke the truth.

January 20, 2015 at 7:57 am

just wanted to show you this one as well.. not my shop, just something I purchased after I had my daughter and I’ve worn it nonstop. it’s beautiful and cool and has held up great.

January 20, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Those rings are SO CUTE and affordable! Now I know what to tell my husband to get me for Mother’s Day. 😉

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
      January 20, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Super cute!

January 21, 2015 at 12:21 am

soo cute! Thanks for the tip!!

Summer Ann
    January 20, 2015 at 8:14 am

Love that ring and how perfect is it for Valentine’s Day!!

Summer Ann

January 20, 2015 at 8:20 am

Check out rose water designs on etsy. Awesome jewelry!

January 20, 2015 at 8:20 am

Im so glad its not just me that can not figure out how to keep midi rings on my fingers! I love them so much, but can not find a comfortable one that fits right.

January 20, 2015 at 8:46 am

That’s such a pretty ring. I love simple dainty rings and I had the exact same problem as you had. I’m slowly but steadily investing in better quality rings but real gold definitely has to wait for a few years.

X Alice

January 20, 2015 at 9:58 am

I LOVE the simple gold band! Is it just from a jewelry store? Gorgeous 🙂

January 20, 2015 at 11:00 am

Gold fill is my favorite! I have a simple gold necklace that I wear all the time and it still looks new and lovely! I bought this necklace: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/212837310 from GemPassionJewelry. I just can’t do cheap jewelry, as much as I really want to. I can’t stand the smell of it – like when you hold coins in your hand and they smell like gross metal afterward. That’s all I can smell when I wear cheap necklaces. Sometimes even zippers on jackets bother me. I guess I’m way sensitive! 🙂

January 20, 2015 at 11:26 am

Cara, You are adorable, and I totally agree about the midi rings. I love them too… for the whole 30 minutes I keep them on my fingers. 🙂

Jessica @ wearitforless
    January 20, 2015 at 11:33 am

This ring is totally cute! I love finding things like this on Etsy too.

Okay, I really need your help! I have wrinkles across my forehead and I cannot for the life of me figure out which makeup to use to help minimize them. I am only 35 and I feel like no matter what I do I end up making them look worse and I look older. (I have tried liquid foundation, powders, and other highlighters.) Do you have any suggestions??? I looked all through your blog and could not find any examples of how to try to cover these lines.

Thanks so much!

January 20, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I’d love to hear Cara’s thoughts on this too! At 33, I have a crease between my eyes that no matter what primer or makeup or setting spray I use, it ends up filling with makeup after an hour or so and becomes very noticeable (at least to me!). I end up just having to wipe the makeup away there, which messes up my HACing LOL. Would love to find a fix for that. Every time I catch myself furrowing my brows, I try to stop, but the damage is alread done 🙁

Jessica @ wearitforless
        January 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Arg, it’s so frustrating! I blame all of the time I spent tanning as a teenager and in my 20s. For those that are younger – use sunscreen!!! (at least on your face) 🙂

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
          January 20, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Have you tried the Porefessional primer by Benefit? Cara has recommended it before and it seems like a miracle worker. She had also talked about It Cosmetics Feel the Moment primer serum. Hope this helps!

January 21, 2015 at 12:22 am

I don’t think i’ve done anything on forehead wrinkles in particular! I’ll get on that asap! Thanks for the idea!

January 20, 2015 at 7:41 pm

I am very familiar with gold filled jewelry on Etsy!! 🙂 For midi rings, you could try adjustable midi rings so you can squeeze them to fit your fingers perfectly with it less likely coming off and losing them. A few years back I got some silver adjustable toe rings from Walmart and used them as midi rings instead. They stayed on extremely well until I removed them to shower or whatever. 🙂

January 21, 2015 at 12:23 am

Thanks gorgeous! Maybe I’ll try that <3

January 22, 2015 at 2:48 am

🙂 You’re very welcome!!

Michelle Lim
    January 21, 2015 at 1:18 am

I love cheap jewelry too but I get tired of rings easily so I change them pretty often. However, I do keep those plain bands of proper silver and gold that last a long time and use them as stacking rings against my cheap ones.

January 21, 2015 at 11:38 am

I’m still mad you lost your best friend ring 20 years ago and yes I still have mine 🙂

January 22, 2015 at 1:02 pm

i have a bracelet from the same jewelry shop ! (the heart ring) it’s this guy, https://www.etsy.com/listing/109272335/gold-filled-tiny-bar-personalized and i wear it 24/7 shower and all, and it’s perfect.

January 25, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Wow this is such an inspiring blog post and amazing blog! Keep up the great work, I’m a fan! 🙂 ♥