Makeup Makeup Products

Tip Tuesday (er wednesday?): The great mascara search.

Waaaay back in June I started a journey in search of “World’s Best Mascara”….
and I’ve been traveling on that journey ever since.
I come to report with good news and bad news.
Let’s start with the bad. ( I like getting that stuff outta the way.)
As much as I wanted to find a HOLY-GRAIL-WORKS-AMAZING-ON-EVERYONE-NO-MATTER-WHAT! mascara.
I didn’t. (crying emoticon)
I have come again to the conclusion that mascara’s are like bra’s. Everyone wants something different from them and everyone’s starting from a different point to begin with. Some things are pretty universal and I’m just thinkin’ mascara isn’t one of them. It seemed like all the recommendations were so different and often opposing!

The good news is I tried over 40 different mascaras and came up with my favorites in the bunch. I use them on all of my clients and love them.

My lashes are short, fine and fair. (everything lash dreams are made of, amiright?)
When looking for a mascara I want something that thickens, lengthens and makes them really black.
What I’m looking to avoid is anything that dries them out, makes them look clumpy/spidery and/or takes too many layers to build (who’s got time for that!?)

I chose three different formulas in three different price ranges.

YSL Shocking |  Too Faced Better Than Sex | L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black
These formulas are all pretty similar at first use (thick/creamy/easy to apply, good dark coating), the biggest difference I noticed from least to most expensive is that the shocking stayed fresh and creamy the longest and the Voluminous dried out the quickest BUT I could have purchased three voluminous tubes for the price of one YSL.

I had a lot of great feedback when I first started my mascara journey, so reference the comments of THIS POST for more to read other thoughts!

January 14, 2015 at 4:51 am

Have you tried Chanel’s Le Volume mascara? I never splurge on mascara, but this stuff is like eyelash crack! It’s completely amazing and is worth every penny!

Jessica Wise
    January 14, 2015 at 4:52 am

I actually prefer Urban Decay’s perversion over better than sex (both are in my makeup bag at the moment). It is so crazy how choosing ” the best” mascara is so subjective!

January 14, 2015 at 5:16 am

These all look pretty similar to my dream mascara (Armani Eyes To Kill) – I absolutely hate plastic mascara brushes! I’m also a fan of Clinique High Impact, though the extreme version has a plastic brush, and Bobbi Brown Extreme Party.

Zoe Newlove
    January 14, 2015 at 5:18 am

I love the TooFaced mascara, so will have to try the other two now 🙂

Lisa Scott Provost
    January 14, 2015 at 5:28 am

I’m not surprised that Voluminous Carbon Black made it – even though i always get the bright idea to try something else just in case, and then off course have to finish whatever that random rube is *sigh*, I always come back! I love that I can be wearing a CRAPTON (this is how I do) and my lashes will still be soft and flexible and feel like lashes! Good stuff.

Lisa Scott Provost
    January 14, 2015 at 5:30 am

^^uh, me type good.

January 14, 2015 at 5:35 am

I love Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant mascara from the Sephora Bday gift last year. I usually hate big wands but I really liked this one. And the formula isn’t goopy like They’re Real.

January 14, 2015 at 9:44 am

That’s my current favorite, too!

Lorie G
      January 21, 2015 at 9:27 pm

This is my fav too! Deep dark black, lengthening and volumizing. I use the skinny end on the roots and the bigger end for fluff and curl. Doesn’t smear, easy to remove and best of all, my lashes stay soft not crispy! The wand is too big for my lower lashes so I use the clinique mascara made for lower lashes or the “big eyes” for lower lashes from maybelline.

Best Mascara - 4 Your Skin Care
    January 14, 2015 at 5:43 am

[…] Read more ….. […]

January 14, 2015 at 6:18 am

I loved the Better Than Sex, unfortunately it flakes terribly after about a month of owning it and gets all in my eyes and really irritates them! 🙁

January 14, 2015 at 6:29 am

One drop of contact solution in the Voluminous and it last a very long time! I use the waterproof…love it.

January 14, 2015 at 6:37 am

Actually you can buy close to 5 Loreals for the price of Yves, yikes!!! I just can’t get my head around a $30 mascara! I have tried higher end kinds and Estee Lauder first comes to my mind, but it was so long ago they don’t even make it. I’ve learned too that they mostly are the same but some are more drying for sure. I’m actually using Voluminous original right now, it’s does the job, doesn’t clump much or dry my lashes out.

January 14, 2015 at 6:43 am

Yes!!! I am a mascara snob too, that being said I completely agree with you! What works for me may not work for you! My top three favorites are Too Faced Better Than Sex- such a great formula and for some reason that ginormous wand gives a soft whispy effect. Loreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes, gives major length and volume BUT can get spidery if your not careful and for some can have fallout (but is gorgeous if your careful) Last is the Jordana Best Lash a lovely buildable mascara and the price point $2.99 really doesn’t hurt my feelings either haha! Thanks for the great post Cara! XO

January 14, 2015 at 11:22 am

I absolutely LOVE the Jordana Best Lash and the Loreal Voluminous Carbon BLack. They are my two go to’s!

January 14, 2015 at 6:52 am

Oooh, the YSL shocking is my favorite too. I also love the YSL babydoll mascara for a bright eyed look. Loreal Voluminous has been in my make-up bag since before I can remember.

January 14, 2015 at 7:03 am

I am a drugstore girl all the way. I curl my lashes so I always use a waterproof formula to help hold the curl. When I can’t get the Voluminous, I also really like Maybelline Full and Soft. I don’t like plastic wands either. Now, at the risk of sounding like a crazy person, Cara, might you tell us what mascaras you tried before coming up with these three as your favs? Since mascara is so subjective, knowing which ones you passed on is actually helpful to me as well.

January 14, 2015 at 7:20 am

Diorshow extase is ah-mazing. Similar to BTS by too faced but better wand (and still under $30)

January 14, 2015 at 7:57 am

My go to mascara is Buxom Lash Mascara: luscious lashes with no flaking.

Tina Dal Cerro
    January 14, 2015 at 8:04 am

I’ll try other mascara’s but I ALWAYS find myself going back to the L’Oreal Voluminous Original. Love it…only in black tho. Waterproof for nights out, etc.

January 14, 2015 at 8:17 am

I really like all Loreal Mascaras and I also love Covergirl’s LashBlast Volume!

January 14, 2015 at 8:23 am

I’ll have to check out the Loreal Voluminous – my current go-to is definitely in the “$$$” range. Have you tried Diorshow Iconic Overcurl? It literally makes your lashes look like you have great fakes on – so long, black, no clumping, stays put all day. Only probably I notice is that I go through the tube pretty quickly. For $28.50 a bottle, it’s pricey, but it’s my only make-up splurge so I let myself have it 🙂

Kelly L
    January 14, 2015 at 8:29 am

Cara, have you tried IT cosmetics “hello lashes”? I just started using it and I’ve been really happy with it. It’s $24 (which isn’t cheap) but it’s a good alternative to Younique 3D (which I love the look of, but it’s flakey and takes forever to build volume and length). I’ve found good mascara to be something worth the extra $ because I’ve never found a drugstore mascara I was happy with (and I’ve tried lots).

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
      January 15, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I just tried the IT for the first time this week! I’ve been using the Better Than Sex for over a year, and have tried a few new ones mixed in but always go back. I might like the IT Cosmetics a little better (maybe?). I’m not usually a plastic wand person but this one works really well! Honestly everything I’ve tried by IT has been impressive. I don’t know why I didn’t try it sooner. 🙂

February 11, 2015 at 3:33 am

IT products are amazing! Is the mascara full or more lengthing?

January 14, 2015 at 8:39 am

Voluminous was my standard for years! But the last couple times I purchased it, all it did was clump, weigh down my lashes, and irritate my eyes. I’ve managed to find some other drug store mascaras that I like, my favorite being Maybelline’s the Rocket Lash. But my ABSOLUTE latest favorite is Urban Decay’s Perversion mascara! SO much coverage with one sweep, lightweight, and soft. It treated my lashes so well, and I can’t wait to splurge on another tube!

January 14, 2015 at 8:43 am

I’m not surprised to see the Younique 3D didn’t make your final selection. (Assuming you tried it since so many people are on that bandwagon). Your words sum it up exactly for me ‘looks clumpy/spidery and/or takes too many layers for application. Who has time for that?! Right?! Not me. And for $30 I’d rather buy the YSL and be done in a couple swipes 😉 my current favorite splurge is still Benefit They’re Real and for drugstore the Voluminous based on your recommendation many moons ago

January 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I can’t get away from They’re Real! It’s my crack! Love it!

Miki Nyckel
      January 23, 2015 at 10:28 am

Unfortunately those of us with short, straight stubborn lashes are the ones who make time for Younique! It’s my holy grail mascara. I can’t even go back to other mascaras. Otherwise I totally agree, kind of a pain to take the time lol. Even though Younique is way quicker and easier than others I’ve used. But I often just bring it with me to work and throw it on when I have a few minutes to do it haha. 🙂

January 14, 2015 at 8:48 am

Would love to see a picture of you wearing each to see how they look!

January 14, 2015 at 9:03 am

Thanks for researching the mascaras for us. Saves us time and expense and I appreciate your efforts. I’m still buzzed from the makeup launch!

January 14, 2015 at 9:09 am

It’s a bit of a splurge for me but the Better Than Sex is my faaaaaaavorite. (I also have fine, blonde lashes–which means that if I go without mascara I get the “You look so tired!” comments. Always what I want to hear. 😉 )

January 14, 2015 at 9:09 am

You’re right.. mascaras work different for everyone. I love Benefit They’re Real but they don’t do much for my friend who has shorter lashes. I got the Sephora mascara sampler for Christmas and I’m so excited to try all of them. Thus far I’ve only tried Buxom which I also really like 🙂

January 14, 2015 at 9:11 am

My favourite to date is the Smashbox Full Exposure mascara, that stuff is amazing.
    I got the Better Than Sex mascara as part of a birthday gift recently, I’m really eager to try it now!

January 14, 2015 at 9:14 am

new thick and creamy mascara is the best! i just tried benefit they’re real mascara and love it! i pair it with the younique 3d fiber lashes! it’s like night and day from what i used to use!

xo, k

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    January 14, 2015 at 9:31 am

Yay! I am going to try the Loreal brand!!!

Krisztina @
    January 14, 2015 at 9:31 am

I really love the NYC Skyrise Lengthening Mascara, but I do love and trust L’Oreal so much as a brand, I’ll have to try the L’Oreal mascara you mentioned.

January 14, 2015 at 9:34 am

I have to say that I agree with mascara being a hugely individual purchase. I have very long, dark and full lashes naturally (I seriously cannot thank my mom enough for passing on this gene) and find that a lot of the mascaras people love give me what I call “tarantula lashes”. They get really clumped from formulas that go on thick so I quite prefer thinner formulas and just build up my coverage. After years of my own testing I keep going back to Maybelline ones. For the price and what you get they can’t be beat.

Also I agree that I would be interested in seeing pictures of these side by side. But thanks for all the makeup insights! Most of the products you do recommend I find I love.

January 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

The thing I notice with all three of your faves is that none of them have those plastic brushes….I wonder if that has something to do with how a mascara goes on.I have found myself cursing the # of coats I have to apply when I use those vs when I use one with the old bristle style brush. Hmmmm.

Of your 3 faves, I have only tried the Voluminous (per your recommendation) and while I LOVE how it goes on and how it looks, I find that it is melting down my face and giving me raccoon eyes after only a few hrs and I LOATHE waterproof mascara so I won’t try that option. My old stand by for every day was Cover Girl Lash Exact (I think, it was in a skinny purple tube, not the fat one) but that is hard to find these days. Now, my day to day is actually Mary Kay Lash Love and I LOVE IT. For nights out when I don’t care if my mascara takes a little longer to apply, I love the L’Oreal Double Extend, it is one of those that has 2 different formulas to apply but I think it is totally worth it and makes my blonde, thin lashes look pretty dang good for not wearing falsies. (still trying to master the fake lashes and haven’t reached the point where I can make them look good enough to wear in public, haha!!)

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
      January 15, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I used the L’Oreal for a while and found the same thing – major raccoon eyes even with the waterproof! For some reason no other mascara by L’Oreal does this though…so I thought it was just me.

Mocha And Moccasins
    January 14, 2015 at 10:19 am

I’ve never tried that YSL mascara, but I do use Better Than Sex and Voluminous on a daily basic. Another favourite of mine is Loreal’s Telescopic! It defines and lengthens my eyelashes like a dream. Plus, it’s from the drugstore so it’s affordable!

M – Mocha and Moccasins

January 14, 2015 at 10:27 am

I use Voluminous and when it starts to get a bit dry I add a drop or two of saline solution. Works like a charm!

January 14, 2015 at 10:28 am

My FAV L’Oreal mascara, Double Extend, is just like the Voluminous to me, but it has the extra formula to put on before. Sadly, when I went to buy it yesterday, I couldn’t find it at 3 different places! I’m not sure if it is being discontinued, but I will definitely be using Voluminous as an alternative if that is the case. It makes me so sad, because I have used it for years. Sigh. Thanks for your review and confirmation that L’Oreal is pretty awesome with mascara.

January 14, 2015 at 10:35 am

Fortunately I am blessed with good lashes – they are full and dark (thanks Daddy!). I don’t need extra length so I tend to go for volumizing formulas.
    My favorites are from Mally and Estee Lauder; I’m also loving Maybelline Lash Sensational, but I have to put on a coat of Mally’s mascara first; otherwise it doesn’t work.
    I agree that mascara is very personal! I didn’t like “better than sex” b/c the brush was too big. But, I’ve used L’oreal voluminous in the past with good results.

January 14, 2015 at 10:39 am

I’ve been looking for the perfect mascara for years too! I have long thin lashes so I’m looking more for thickening with just a little bit of lengthening. It’s so fun to hear what people love about theirs and why. I love Benefit- They’re Real and Makeup Forever’s Mascara is my current favorite. It makes my lashes look great but not harsh. Disappointment for me was Diorshow Blackout- it’s really thick and creamy and messy and clumps and spikes the lashes. What boggles my mind- and I’m saying this with all the love in my heart-is the current obsession with Younique 3D fiber lashes. I have not seen one person- their models included- that looks good with this stuff on. It just makes the lashes look so spidery and clumpy and harsh and it’s not very flattering…to anyone. I even bought some- thinking – I can make this look good-but nope. It’s just a hot mess. One layer or 4. I feel like I need bust out an intervention banner (himym fans know what I’m talking about lol) But in the end, if it makes you feel beautiful- rock on! Thanks for the research Cara! I’ll be trying out your favs 🙂

January 14, 2015 at 10:39 am

I love L’Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes in Blackest Black – I saw it on a blogger a while back and have been using it ever since – love it. And it comes off with hot water, so it’s perfect for travel if you forget your make-up remover.

January 14, 2015 at 10:42 am

As a 59 years old youngster, I’ve done my fair share of mascara testing! But, I finally have a lash “system”
    1) I use my own DIY formula for mascara removal and treatment – coconut oil, vitamin E and a couple of drops of argan oil.
    2) Mary Kay lash primer
    3) L’Oreal Voluminous black (I do switch to Mary Kay mascara for those no makeup days – those days that gloss and mascara is it!)
    That’s my two cents contribution! Keep up the great work you do – here and home! Patti

January 14, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Isn’t it amazing how well coconut oil removes mascara?! Your DIY sounds very nourishing!

January 14, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Oh, the virtues of coconut oil … I could write a book. I cook with it, use it head to toe, pour a little on my dog and cat food, treat scars and boo-boo’s, every DIY face and body concoction from scrubs (face, body, hands and feet), deep hair conditioner, and on and on and on! Found extra virgin organic at Aldi for a ridiculously low price … yep, bought a case … stocking stuffer, gifts for loved ones and for ME! My skin, feet and hands are baby soft and I actually had someone look for facelift scars on me cause they couldn’t believe I was 59. Hooray for coconut oil! (and argan and vitamin E!)

January 14, 2015 at 11:02 am

I’ve been waiting for this post! There is no one I trust more when it comes to make-up than your beautiful face! I have had the worst times with mascaras (did you say “fine, short & fair”? Well, that’s me. Like, you really can’t tell I have any lashes at all until they are coated with two coats, no less! Anyway, thank you for taking it upon yourself to figure out what mascaras are worth trying for your loyal readers, and know that I will be sure to try all three of them (whenever my humble grad student budget allows). Also, just to let you know, out of all the beauty bloggers, you are the only one I follow daily, ever since I discovered your blog, and needless to say, I raved about it to almost every female I know. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are really doing an amazing job, and your heart shines through every post of yours! Sending you a bear hug and many thanks :))) – Lana

Angel Diele
    January 14, 2015 at 11:33 am

For a dramatic look, the original Diorshow in Black is my all-time favorite. The formula and wand are amazing! For a more natural look, Lancome Definicils is perfect. For those who curl their eyelashes, I recommend a layer of waterproof mascara (Lancome Definicils WP) to lock in the curl, with another coat of regular (Diorshow) mascara on top! Warming the eyelash curler with a blow dryer also helps to lock in the curl. Lancome also makes an incredible eyelash curler, much like the Shu Uemura!

January 14, 2015 at 11:36 am

Love reading all these recommendations. I used to throw down some serious cash for mascara, but lately I’m a convert to Loreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes, the one in the gold tube. Interested to try the carbon black now, too. My biggest breakthrough lately…if I really want *major* lashes, it’s gonna take falsies. I hunted for the mascara holy grail forever but decided the lashes I was after aren’t going to come from mascara. So now I stick with the Loreal and buy some $3 Ardells when I want major drama.

January 14, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Neutrogena Healthy Volume is my favorite of all time. I’ve tried loads of mascaras (it’s the product I depend upon most!) and the formula and thick brush are just the best. Feathery thick lashes that never flake. Comparable to Diorshow in performance but lasts way longer without drying out and costs way less! It’s a dream!

Kallie (@blondeeambition)
    January 14, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Have you tried the Younique mascara? ( Its a craze here in Canada…wondering if you could do a review on it? It’s expensive enough at $40 bucks – so it would be nice to hear how it is before investing.

January 14, 2015 at 8:48 pm

It’s the best!!

January 15, 2015 at 7:12 am

After years of lash extensions that broke off my lashes I found my holy grail with Youique3D . It’s the only one that makes me look like I have lashes. There are a few YouTube videos on it and that’s how I found it . I don’t use it everyday because on the 12 hr it starts irritating my contacts . I really do love it and it has lasted over a year without drying out like There Real . Eyes to Kill is my daily wear .

Miki Nyckel
        January 23, 2015 at 10:22 am

Seriously?? Mine dried out in a little over a month 🙁 How did you manage that?

Miki Nyckel
      January 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

$35. It’s expensive, but if you can afford it, it’s absolutely worth every penny. But oddly, it’s not more expensive than high end mascaras. I love it! It’s fair to say it is amazing. I can’t even go back to regular mascara now! Ack! The only thing you have to be aware of is that it does flake. If your eyes are particularly sensitive, that could really bother them.

January 14, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I have used Loreal Voluminous Waterproof for years and love it. Just started using the Carbon Black version (waterproof) and love it even more. 🙂

January 14, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I have been a BIG fan of Benefit’s They’re Real for ages and Sephora suggested Too Faced – Better Than Sex and I humored her by trying it on and OMG – it was AMAZEBALLS!!!! I have turned all my friends on to it.

Nadia @ The View Is Beautiful
    January 14, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I’ve heard so many amazing things about the Better Than Sex mascara that I’m afraid to try it and fall in love with an expensive mascara! L’Oreal Voluminous used to be my holy grail, but I actually discovered the Jordana Best Lash Extreme last year and it totally stole my heart! It’s a very similar formula, but blacker (if that’s even possible) and with some fibers so it really helps build the lashes in volume and length. Amazing for the price!

January 14, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I know you probably won’t read this comment way down at the bottom, but Cara, I’d love to hear your thoughts on lash primers. I love the UD’s Perversion mascara, and got a sample tube of their primer with purchase, but every time I try a primer, I can never get the mascara to fully cover it up. I end up looking like parts of my lashes are white! Anyone else have this problem??

January 14, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I was a little surprised Benefit’s They’re Real didn’t make it on the list. I know you’ve suggested it before. I literally buy everything you suggest, or if it’s too expensive I wait for my birthday and then get it, but I have to stick with They’re real this time! You are so right, it is like a bra!

Blog Obsessed XO
    January 14, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I absolutely neeeed to try the YSL mascara and my favorite drugstore is definitely L’Oreal Voluminous. Awesome post! 🙂

January 14, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Sooo happy L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black made your list! That is my absolute favorite!!!

January 14, 2015 at 7:24 pm

i would love if you could go into more detail with your eyeshadow school! like what is a transition shade? where should we be putting our eyeshadows on the eye for the best, most cleanest look… i know you said there’s no rules, but id love to know more specifics in order to create a better eye look!

Madeleine | The Daily Mark
    January 14, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I’ve got similar lashes by the sound of it and I love the TooFaced too. My go to would have to be Chantecaille’s Faux Cils! x
    Madeleine, The Daily Mark

January 14, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I love better than sex mascara! My other favs include urban decay perversion mascara and maybelline pumped up volume

January 14, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I too have tried almost every one in the book (mine are short fine and blond!) and otc I like Maybelline falsies, I like benefit they’re real!&big bad girl lash, and now finally best of all I fell in love with YOUnique 3dlashes!!! I’ve tried growth serums too. Thanks Cara

Miki Nyckel
      January 23, 2015 at 10:14 am

I just discovered Younique. Now I can’t use any other mascara lol! Because with younique I actually have long lashes! I can’t go back to short haha

Paige Mckinnon
    January 14, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Ohh I have not tried out the Mascaras you photographed~ ^ ^
    I have only heard positive and uplifting reviews about them though! ^ – ^

January 15, 2015 at 3:46 am

louie and coco
    January 15, 2015 at 10:37 am

I am very surprise that l´oreal products are usually compare to high-end products and costs like a third! Way to go L´oreal!!!

January 15, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I haven’t tried the YSL (probably won’t) but I completely agree with the other two choices! They are my top favorite mascaras! I’ve been using the Loreal since High School because my mom taught me well 🙂

Kelly Gardner
    January 15, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I have tried that L’Oreal mascara numerous times only to have it all under my eyes by the end of the day. Every.stinking.time. I loved the formula – no clumps or flakes. The color is great, and the effect is fantastic, but not the raccoon eyes it gave me:( Personally, I waffle between Peter Thomas Roth’s Lashes to Die For and Benefit’s They’re Real. I also like Diorshow, but it can get clumpy and is $$$. I think I’ll have to try the Too Faced one when I’m in the market for a replacement. Thanks for doing the hard work testing these:) BTW – The Milani copper eyeshadow you recommended – LOVE! So inexpensive but so pigmented and pretty with blue eyes. Keep the tips coming!

January 17, 2015 at 10:53 am

I am not a regular avon makeup user, but my mother in law sells and I always have her order me Avon Super Shock Max. I always find that mascara flakes on me or smears easily, but this version stays put really well and creates nice thick dark lashes. It is always in my makeup bag. If I am looking to splurge, it’s Dior Show, although so friends that I suggested it to do not like the smell, I personally love it.

Rebecca C
    January 17, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Better Than Sex? Just amused that it’s a mascara name:) Guess I have to try it!

February 6, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I layer Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara over Too Faced Lash-gasm. My all time favorites

Sarah (Burtis)Lehman (@sarahannelehman)
    September 28, 2015 at 11:11 pm

My current favorite is Rimmel London Scandaleyes Retro Glam mascara. I get such good volume without my lashes looking spidery.