Makeup Makeup Products Products

My Vote on Marsala

I think it was last week (my days-nights-weeks are kind of running together…) that I heard about Pantone’s Color Of The Year for 2015.
Marsala – described as “A naturally robust and earthy wine red”
As I skimmed the interwebs it didn’t seem like everyone was on board with it.  I get that, I mean, it’s basically brownish red which I haven’t seen on the top of anyone’s favorite color lists lately BUT I was actually kind of thrilled about it.
Although last years color, Radiant Orchid, is probably prettier to look at as a leading lady, 2015’s choice makes a much better co-star.
Marsala is sooooo good at being makeup.
Anything with red undertones is going to make your eyes look AWESOME but this color has the added bonus of also being earthy/natural-ish at the same time.
Double threat.
So I gathered together some of the robust wine’s themselves and I can’t wait to start experimenting with them!

1. Topshop Lipstick in Inhibition
(I have really been loving all of Topshop’s lipsticks! They are nice and pigmented with great lastability.)

2. MAC Lipstick in Verve
(This lipstick is really gorgeous! It’s a little a little more on the brown side so if stuff tends to go warm on your skin, I’d skip it but if stuff goes true to color or cool this will look perfect!)

3. Essie Nail Polish in Berry Naughty

4. MAC Sketch Eyeshadow
(this will make your eyes electric whether you have green, blue or brown – or somewhere in-between)

5. Bobbi Brown Pot Blush in Milk Chocolate
(You can use this on your cheeks or lips and it’s the greatest texture!)

6. Stila Shadow in Metallic Merlot
(These are probably my favorite shimmery shadows in all the world.)

7. Clinique Black Honey Sheer Liptint
(for Marsala in it’s sheerest – most natural – dosage)

Are you on board with Pantone 2015? If no, what color would you have picked?

Happy Hump Day!

C. Marsala
    December 17, 2014 at 5:07 am

This genuinely confused me until I read the post because my last name is MARSALA. lol

December 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

What a GORGEOUS name:)

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    December 17, 2014 at 6:20 am

My birthstone is garnet which this kind of reminds me of. Plus it is way sexier than radiant orchid so two thumbs up 🙂

December 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Waaay sexier! 🙂

R Liz
    December 17, 2014 at 6:21 am

this definitely gets my vote! I have dark hair and green eyes and have always loved wearing raisin-y colors like this.

December 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm

dark hair and green eyes – me too! Maybe that’s why I’m so excited about this color! it’s perfect for us!

December 17, 2014 at 6:58 am

I have used the clinique product for years and love it. It’s not a ton of color and it changes with your chemistry, so it’s your own unique color. Beautiful!

December 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Isn’t it the prettiest!?

December 17, 2014 at 6:58 am

I don’t love the color marsala, but I don’t hate it either. I HATED radiant orchid, so this is an improvement… Marsala kind of looks like dried blood to me unless it’s got a sheen (like in nail polish) or some transparency to it (like in a real glass of wine). When I where raisin-y or wine-y colors, I tend to look dead. Corals and metallic tones work much better on me personally. Also, has anyone else noticed that marsala (color of the year 2015) is fairly similar to chili pepper (color of the year 2007)?

December 17, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I hear ya on the dried blood thing! That’s why I liked the glittery shadow a lot, no ick factor! That’s true it is similar!

Emerald Earrings
    December 17, 2014 at 7:14 am

I was so thrilled when I saw this on Good Morning America! My accent color in my house is Marsala so I can’t wait to see what kind of home decor will be available soon 🙂

Also, I’m still not over our old friend Oxblood, so double yay!

Christine (@zen_writing)
    December 17, 2014 at 8:44 am

I wonder if Lorde is responsible for making this color popular again? People have been complaining about her dark lips for a year now, but I am seeing more and more of these dark colors on people. 🙂

December 17, 2014 at 9:24 am

that blush!!! so amazing. this is Lorde’s signature color!

xoxo, kiely

Wishes & Reality
    December 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

I love your picks, particularly Clinique’s Black Honey…such a classic!

Heidi D.

December 17, 2014 at 10:42 am

I suppose I was one of the few that were thrilled with this color! It’s one of my favorites. In fact, I’m wearing a shirt this color right now. I’m definitely going to pin this, especially since that MAC shadow looks almost identical to my very favorite discontinued shadow from a years-old Almay pallette that I refuse to give up on despite scraping at the pan.

December 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

Sketch is one of my absolute favorite MAC shadows!! Such a beautiful color and really makes your eyes pop!

December 17, 2014 at 1:34 pm

How do I figure out if a color goes on me warm or cool? Is there a test I can do with some popular MAC colors? I would love to know! It may help me choose better lipstick colors. Thanks Cara!

Laura Markle
    December 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

That Stila shadow would be so nice for a holiday party!

She Likes to Shop

December 17, 2014 at 2:02 pm

You are so right- it goes perfectly with makeup & beauty products! I’m loving that essie nail color!
    This Side of Paradise

Ariana Raftopoulos
    December 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I love this color for beauty products and probably clothes once next winter rolls back around. That Stila eyeshadow looks like something I am going to need even though I probably don’t need another eyeshadow for 15 years!

December 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I love this color. I cannot wait to wear it all year

blog beauté
    December 18, 2014 at 2:18 am

The Stila Shadow is so beautiful. I want it !

Sarah @ The French Press
    December 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

I’m pretty excited about this color too. Earthy tones have always looked good on me… SCORE. Can’t wait to see how you incorporate it!

The French Press

Ever Emma
    December 18, 2014 at 11:07 am

Earthy tones will always be my go-to colors! I think this color is gorgeous!

December 18, 2014 at 10:25 pm

i was seriously so pissed about this “color of the year” till i read your post just now! loving your picks. seriously, yay for not hating this year’s color, all because of you!! 😉

December 19, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I think we are all just lucky that the color of the year is no longer “tangerine tango” 🙂

Miki Nyckel
    December 21, 2014 at 8:55 am

Thank you for this list! I am going to buy some of these 🙂 I am totally on board with Marsala! I could care less for all the complainers, last year I dealt with it being the orchid color, which in no way looks good on me! This, I can work with! And I think it’s definably chic. Why does it have to be a super bright color to be fabulous?! I’m gonna rock this one! And your list has it in the bag! 😉

December 22, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I am so excited about this pantone choice. It’s so flattering on everyone, especially that Clinique Black Honey Sheer Liptint =)

December 25, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I love the 2015 color, I can’t wait to see it on the runway and in magazines and in makeup. It even is nice in home decor. I think it’s warm but exciting.

December 30, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I have been wearing MAC shadow in Sketch for the last 10 years (or so)…..LOVE it! My eyes are blue-green and are sometimes more green than blue or more blue than green. Regardless of which shade my eyes decide to be, this shadow is gorgeous! I even wore it on my wedding day. 🙂 I’m naturally pale with a peachy tone, natural light copper hair and have been nearly every shade of red over the years. This color works on me no matter what. 🙂

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is
    January 3, 2015 at 4:13 am

[…] pantone marsala makeup colors. digging […]

Marsala – Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year |