Beauty Basics Eyeliner School Makeup

Eyeliner School: The Stamp

The last time I touched an actual stamp was in my younger years when what I thought was a flourishing talent for memory preservation turned out to be little more than a photo destroying operation. So, I’m not much of a scrapbooker but I do believe in stamping. Here’s why.

Photos by Jessica Janae Photography

Why I love it: it’s one of the easiest ways to get your liner straight and really close to your lashes!
What You’ll need:
a flat liner brush + creme or gel liner (I love It Cosmetics & L’Oreal for a less expensive option)
Pair it with: Anything! This liner look is so basic, like your favorite white tee, it goes with everything.

Start by dipping your brush into the liner pot, just enough to coat the tip.
Then starting at the outer corner of your eye, press in (just like you would a stamp) right at the lash line all the way to the inner corner.
You can stop there if you just want the upper lid lined, which looks something like this:

or if you want to have a lower line as well (try both see which one you prefer or which one you’re in the mood for – no right or wrong!)
I usually stamp very lightly on the outer corner at the lashes a little more than half way to the other corner. Stamping it lighter each time so it fades away gradually.

It’s awesome because it’s a pretty wide tip so it makes creating a straight precise line really easy!

(I took these photos right before William came and I can’t help but notice how well rested I look! Ah…. Uninterrupted Sleep, you illusive creature you. I hope we meet again someday:)

December 1, 2014 at 3:08 am

Cara what eyeshadow is on your lid to go with the liner? It’s such a crisp clean look – I love it! Thanks.

December 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Thank you Karen! It’s Sunset from the IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty pallete!

December 1, 2014 at 3:47 am

Love the look! I just have to say…I had my daughter July 1st & around month 3 of being up all night, I started searching for ways to help her (ok, both of us) sleep better. I found this thing called Baby Merlins Magic Sleepsuit. It’s this snuggly little snowsuit-type thing you put baby in at night to help them feel cozy & secure. No lie- the first night I put my daughter in it she slept all night & has every night since. It sounds too good to be true but if you read reviews tons of Momma’s swear by it. It’s even better than swaddling- my little girl always wiggled her way out of them. I hope this doesn’t sound like a product endorsement but from one mom to another I had to share. It saved my sanity!!!

December 1, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Allison! That sounds amazing I’ll have to check it out!

December 1, 2014 at 4:54 am

December 1, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thank you!!

December 1, 2014 at 6:38 am

Hi Cara!
    I love this look, but have one question.
    I’m not sure if the top line was done coming from under the upper lid (from the same angle you would use to tight line your eyes), stamping the brush through your lashes to your lash line, or from above, stamping the brush along your lashline, as I typically apply my eyeliner.
    I only ask because it seemed as though you were coming from the tight lining angle in the first picture, and I really want to try to recreate this!
    Thank you as always for your amazing posts 🙂

December 1, 2014 at 8:32 am

I second this question! Also, I wear lash extensions, so pushing up through the lashes doesn’t work as well for me. Any suggestions?

December 1, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Super gorgeous, Cara.

I’d also love to know about the angles you used – especially on the bottom lash line. Did you line right at the lashes (coming from below the lashes) or right above the lashes (coming from above)?

I really struggle with getting my lining right on the lower lashes – hope you’ve got lots of tips for us on that!

December 1, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Hi Katie, I went strait in! so the brush rests between the lashes!

December 1, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Hi Rachel! I went strait into the lashes, but with the extensions go above!

December 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I also am wondering this. I have eyelash extensions too so any tips to make this work with them would be great. And I attempted to line my lower lash on the tear line and all I succeeded to do was get irritated eyes for an hour. Help ! I’ve always been horrible at eyeliner.

December 1, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Hi Bernadette! I went strait into the lashes like you would to tightline!

December 1, 2014 at 7:27 am

I love this technique! I do this 99% of the time! The best thing I ever did was when using this method I changed over to a waterproof formula. Stayed on much better and since I have allergies, kept it on all day until I was ready for it to come off!

Thank you for all the wonderful posts. I love reading your site!

December 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

You seriously are soo gorgeous!! And this is an awesome trick!

Emerald Earrings
    December 1, 2014 at 8:28 am

I was going to ask if you highlighted your hair again! Then I noticed where you said these were older photos. haha. Love this look, and you are so gorgeous!

Ariana Raftopoulos
    December 1, 2014 at 9:28 am

I have been looking for a good flat liner brush and I may have to get this one just to try this technique!

December 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm

When are you going to do your makeup tutorial where your hair was in waves and you posted right before Thanksgiving? I LOVED the eye makeup in that one.

December 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Hi Cara – lovelovelove! Now please tell us about your lipstick in these photos – perfection!

December 1, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi Sara,Thank you!! It’s Dior Lip Glow!

e before i
    December 1, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I would love a tutorial on tight lining for monolid/Asian eyes. Is it even possible? I always feel like I end up using a very thick line because of how my eyes are shaped.

Beautiful photos, by the way! You look a lot like Mischa Barton (in her healthy days) in the third photo!

Melissa D
    December 1, 2014 at 3:51 pm

What is on your lips? They look fantastic!

December 1, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Thank you Melissa! It’s Dior Lip Glow!

December 1, 2014 at 8:19 pm

which color of Dior Lip Glow?

December 1, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Sorry it’s the pink! Here’s a link it’s really cool because it enhances your natural lip color so it looks just a little different on everyone!

Kiely Edmonds
    December 1, 2014 at 4:21 pm

i love gel liner! it has worked the best for me.

xoxo, kiely

Summer Ann
    December 1, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I bought that eyeliner the other day and I love it! And the brush that came with it worked great for me. I feel like I get much better control over where the liner goes with a brush. I had always used a pencil before.

Summer Ann

December 1, 2014 at 9:05 pm

This looks amazing, I will have to try it out!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

December 2, 2014 at 8:29 am

I love it, thanks for the tips!

Rachael O' Meara Curran
    December 2, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I love your eye makeup tips! brill tips for people with hooded eyes, thanks!
    Rachael O x

Sarah @ GlamGranolaGeek
    December 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Absolutely loving this look. I must try it!!

December 2, 2014 at 2:39 pm

love this look!

December 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm

great tutorial and I love your name so unique 🙂 I have a MAC Haul on my post right now:)

December 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

would this be the best eyeliner choice if you have lash extensions? I LOVE my lash extensions, BUT, i can’t really get a good cat eye going because I can’t get tight line to my lashes

December 3, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Lovely as always, but I never seem to be able to make my line last. I find it washes off after an hour or so due to allergies or laughing or sneezing or bright sunlight…. What sort of liner should I be using?

December 4, 2014 at 9:48 am

Any chance you could make a video on this? Even a short Instagram clip would help.. I love this look, but I can’t seem to figure it out. Is it better to do it before or after mascara? Thanks!

Anna Bennion
    December 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Ok, I’m a moron, but I can’t seem to figure out where/how to stick the brush–in between lashes, you say?

December 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm

What nail polish are you wearing in these pics?

Bayley Zollinger
    December 5, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Love this post it was so helpful! What gloss are you using? I love it!

December 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Wow. You look fantastic!! Such a beautiful, classic, and natural look.

I’m excited to try this technique!

December 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

Hi there! I follow you on YouTube and seen you haven’t posted in a while. Then I remembered you were pregnant and it made me want to check your blog to see how everything was going! Just stopping by to wish you fantastic holidays and a happy new year!!! Hope all is well!! 🙂 xoxo from Sacramento, CA

Dozao Organics
    December 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Your website rocks! To stay with nowadays trend of contemporary beauty, imagine yourself with mascara volume ! It greatly changes one’s look for sure

December 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm

This is great! I am definitely going to try this out this weekend. Thank you so much for the post.

Bernarda Alvarez
    January 9, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I tend to only do the upper lid, but I like how you did your lower lid too and it looked nice, so I’ll be trying both lids now 🙂

Dizao Organics
    January 25, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Writing articles and blog posts is absolutely entertaining. I much like your blogging site in addition to stuff you cover with it. To remain chic in quick style I take advantage of collagen face mask.

October 17, 2015 at 9:59 pm

I have followed your blog for over a year now and think this photo of you looking directly into the camera is the best photo I’ve ever seen of you 🙂

November 1, 2015 at 2:24 pm

The eyeshadow seems much lighter than the sunset from IT. It looks like a shimmery light pink.

Technique Eyeliner | watchonlines
    July 19, 2016 at 12:26 am

[…]… →The last time I touched an actual stamp was in my younger years when what I thought was a flourishing talent for memory preservation turned out to be little more than … […]