My Life

I read somewhere the other day that listing, actually writing down what you are grateful for actually increases your happiness.
It just so happens to be something I love to do every year at this time and really should do a lot more often.
I don’t know about you but I love reading other people’s grateful lists too because I just think in a world with so much negativity talked about it’s nice to be reminded about just how many wonderful things there are too. I really believe it’s the small seemingly insignificant things that makeup a beautiful life and what a shame to have one and not even know it.

Here’s the beginning of mine this year. I hope you’ll share some of yours too:)
I’m grateful for…

Christian. Cause he thinks that going for a walk just the two of us is a “date”, he calls William “Billiard”, he says “usually” when he means to say “actually”, and because his happiness is my happiness which means I get to live the joys of life through him as well.

William. Because his cheeks are softer than marshmallows and twice as smoochable. When he cuddles in real close and starts having sleepy milk induced smiles he looks just like Littlefoot, who is obviously the sweetest dinosaur of all Land Before Time.

Nick. Because he makes my life better in every single way. He makes me laugh and he knows how to win a debate but he also knows how to say “you know what, that’s a good point.” when he just lost one, and I think that’s pretty rare.

That I have a mom who is genuinely interested in hearing every boring detail about anything in my life even if she’s already heard about it 3 times before and a dad who is never too busy to join me for lunch, even when “join me for lunch” actually means “bring me lunch cause I’m starving and have a sleeping baby.”

A bunch of brothers and sisters who are more like best friends that I’d rather hang out with than pretty much anyone.

Advice. Having a baby means getting a lot of it. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. I’m so glad I have people who care and who try to help. I need it. There wasn’t a handbook given to me about everything in life and I’m just learning as I go but I really appreciate those who throw me shortcuts every now and then.

Treats and a movie. There’s something about the idea that any given night of the week I can whip out some treats and watch a movie that just makes life feel simple and fun.

Reading. I’m so grateful that no matter how late I go to bed I can always still read just a couple of pages of my book. Sometimes I look forward to that quiet moment day long.

Readers. That I have somewhere to put my thoughts and ideas and talents and a community who will take the time to read and watch them and share in return is truly remarkable to me and something I’m so grateful for.
Have a most wonderful holiday weekend!!

November 26, 2014 at 1:18 am

What a beautiful post to wake up to!! I am in my 13th week of a surprise (!)first pregnancy, at 43 yrs old, and have been really taking comfort in your previous, and current posts.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, and your beautiful, growing family!Tracy

November 26, 2014 at 2:12 am

What a lovely post! This year, I am grateful in particular for: my dog (who successfully underwent knee surgery), my son (who turned one!), my partner (who is my imperfectly perfect match), and that I have a place to live, people to love (especially my family but also my friends), and improved my health (lost some weight, learned some cooking skills, and successfully got allergy shots)!

Emerald Earrings
    November 26, 2014 at 3:35 am

So beautiful! My turn 🙂
    My husband, the love of my life! Our two precious fur babies, our incredible families, and the promise of everything the new year holds. So much to be thankful for!

Mary Margaret
    November 26, 2014 at 3:56 am

I’m thankful for you and this little piece of internet that reminds me life is beautiful. I’m thankful for my husband and our first thanksgiving together. I’m thankful for iced coffee. I’m thankful for our little house. And I’m thankful for my family and friends who have become family.

November 26, 2014 at 4:02 am

Love your list Cara!! Such a great idea to actually write down what we are grateful for!

I’m thankful for my wonderful family that always loves, always supports, and always has fun together! I’m thankful for my church family- we truly are a community coming together to support each other and to reach out and connect with those in our city. I’m thankful for my lifegroup at church, the members of which have become my best friends and really help to model a Godly life. I’m thankful that I live in a community that speaks out for the oppressed and creates ways to help them, and that I get to participate in their efforts. Most of all, I’m thankful that I have a God who is always full of grace and mercy, and ready to love on me at all times. <3

November 26, 2014 at 4:22 am

I am grateful for your wonderful ability to communicate with us, Cara. I am grateful that I can see and comprehend your posts. Grateful for a kind husband, three healthy and productive grown daughters, work that I love. None of this would have been possible without 20 1/2 years of sobriety and recovery from alcoholism. For that I am most grateful; I did not “accomplish” that on my own!

November 26, 2014 at 4:37 am

I so appreciated your post today when my inbox was full of shopping and best deal alerts. It is Thanksgiving after all! Thank you!

Michaela Santiago
    November 26, 2014 at 5:21 am

Most beauty blogs focus on the makeup. I like that you post thoughtful insights about your life. You’re a very good writer! I love your blog, Cara! Happy Holidays! PS – I’m grateful for my my parents, my friends, my apartment, and the internet! <3

Ariana Raftopoulos
    November 26, 2014 at 6:54 am

It’s a great idea to write down what you are grateful for regularly! I love reading too. I would love to know what your favorite books have been lately.

Ashley H
    November 26, 2014 at 7:32 am

That was beautiful. I am thankful that I get to carry this baby (I am currently 24 weeks pregnant), thankful for my wonderful husband that takes such good care of me, my beautiful house, my crazy fluffy dog, and my amazing family.

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    November 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

Love this! I recently did a thankful list on my blog too and it really helped me to realize what I am thankful for. I also realized that I need to try a lot harder to be more thankful all year round 🙂

Carrie @ Season It Already!
    November 26, 2014 at 11:39 am

I write in a daily gratitude journal and it has changed my life. In fact, you gave me the idea that since I already have been doing this, Thanksgiving might be the best day for me to skim through those old journals. 🙂 Cheers~

christina minyard
    November 26, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I am thankful for my husband my children and having an inner strength to make it threw a 7 year court battle and remain utterly grateful for the people and place of beautiful las Vegas. Thank you world!

Jess Beran
    November 26, 2014 at 10:14 pm

One of my favorite posts of yours. So good to stop and realize how many little things are gifts in our lives. A friend of mine yesterday told me how excited and thankful she is to have a dining table. After her father passed away when she was ten, she and her mom moved into an apartment that was too small to have a table, so she missed out on all those family meals around the table. She teared up as she told me that she and her husband just got a table to eat together at. I had never thought about that before- how many sweet memories take place around a table. Thankful for tables, for baby soft skin, for movie nights, for community!

November 27, 2014 at 12:16 am

I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for my mom and dad, my 6 sisters and 3 brothers. They offer me unconditional love, advice, intelligence, empathy, humor, companionship, a different view on things, a shoulder to cry on, and their arms open to me and their homes even every time they see me. They want me to move in with them so they can help me with my health and with life in general. They love me and they miss me. They believe in me and they push me to become an authoress and feel my writing needs to be shared with the world. I am grateful for my son and my daughter, they teach me every day how lucky I am that I won the lottery where children are concerned. I am grateful for the air in my lungs and for my Heavenly Father, who sent me to be with all of these remarkable people. I am grateful for my Angels who are beside me helping me with whatever I ask of them. I am grateful for my Chihuahua mix puppy, Struedel, who is so cuddly and special and sweet. I am grateful for all the opportunities that I have had in my life and for all the many special Thanksgivings I have gotten to spend with my incredible amazing fun family! I am grateful for Cara for her loving kind ways, her realness, and her awesome eye opening beauty blog & tutorials!! 🙂 I am grateful for the beauty she has inside that she shares with all of us so freely and gives us something more to think about. I am grateful for everyone here for sharing what they know as well and making comments fun to read! I am grateful for my life and everyone and everything in it. I am also grateful for juicy Thanksgiving turkey, sweet potatoes with marshmallows baked on top, and for delicious pumpkin pie with whipped cream! 😉 HapPy ThanKsgiving, everYbody!!!! Take good care & enjoy your beautiful families ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Meghan (@MeghanSilvaBLOG)
    November 27, 2014 at 12:25 am

Love posts like this, they actually inspire me to start thinking about what I am grateful for. Thanks for sharing.

Meg | Meghan Silva’s Blog

November 27, 2014 at 12:29 am

Wow Christina! You’ve had to have incredible strength to go through a 7 year court battle. I can’t even fathom it. Take excellent care of yourself!

December 6, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thank you for your inspiration. You made me smile and remember my wonderful blessings too 🙂

December 10, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Awe, love it. We are so blessed.
    Speaking of reading, what are you reading? I’m always looking for something good to read next. Share with us!