Hair Hair Tutorials

Faking Finger Waves

I’m really excited about this tutorial! This hair is so much fun and TOTALLY festive for the holidays!

Lips: Liner – Jordana Plush Plumb | Mac Sin | Clear Gloss

OK so I want to start off with BY FAR the most important part of this whole tutorial. I cannot stress is enough. You are LOST without it.
The Gel.
It may have been a hot minute since you slathered your head with hair gel (perhaps not since the crunchy hair 80’s or the cowboy soup curls or the early 2000’s?) but you’re gonna need to whip it out again. To help with the crunch factor I put it on dry hairs.
How much you use depends on how much hair you have but you want to make sure it’s coating all of it and it’s distributed evenly. The easiest way for me to do that was to do it a section at a time and comb through it while it’s still damp(so the hair looks smooth and shiny)
As far as sectioning goes, it all depends on how thick your locks are. Because of the uniform nature of the style it actually works best and easiest on thinner hair. If your hair is thin you’ll only need to section it off 1 time (so two half sections). My hair is fine but pretty darn thick so I had to section it off 3 or 4  times.

1 1/4 ” curling iron / hair gel

1. As appose to most of the curls you’ve probably done in the past I like to start with the top section with this look. This gives you the chance to decide exactly how you want it to look and where you want the waves to go. I’ve shown two options  (above) I started the waves right up at my forehead for a more retro finish. On Bethany (below I wanted it to look a tad more relaxed so I started the first wave at temple level. Once you have the top layer done you’ll know where each of the below waves need to go in order to match. (Does that make sense? Am I complicating this too much?)
Ok so now that you know where you want that wave clamp the curling iron over the weft of hair (wiggly it arournd a bit so you don’t get clamp crimps.

2. Unclamp and hold piece right below the wave letting it cool for a few seconds

3. Hold the wave in place with one hand and clamp the hair in reverse with the other.

4&5. Continue this process down the whole piece.

When waving the underneath sections be sure to start the wave to match the top waves exactly. so the S is uniform.

If your hair is super resistant to curl try clipping the waves like this:

I hope you love it!

November 21, 2014 at 1:17 am

Thanks for mentioning the update on your main blog post!!! Boo weather! Honestly, I would still participate in the pre-sale even if the actual product won’t be ready to ship until sometime in Q1 (and even if you don’t have an iron-clad shipping date). If you think about other things that do pre-sales it’s pretty common to order a few months in advance, so I would have no problem with that.

I’m mostly just anxious because I’ve been holding onto my designated makeup money to make sure I can order when sales open up and to make sure I can get my name on the list. I think once I place my pre-sale order I’ll feel much more at ease waiting on the product to actually come.

November 21, 2014 at 10:04 am

Oh thank you so much for your support! I totally agree that it can be a few months in advance I was just thinking that when people think “Black Friday” they think christmas gifts and I was NOT wanting to disappoint in that way! I’ll get the preorders done super soon though so you can get your name in there! <3<3

Claire Strauss
    November 21, 2014 at 1:31 am

Love it! Please tell us what lipstick you are wearing too?! Your make up looks so beautiful.

November 21, 2014 at 3:42 am

I think the lipstick that cara is wearing is mac sin

November 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

You got it laura!

November 21, 2014 at 1:40 am

WHAT LIPSTICK ARE YOU WEARING??!! I love love love the color!

November 21, 2014 at 1:46 am

Super thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2014 at 2:28 am

I agree with the above. We need a tutorial on your makeup in your hair wave picture!!

November 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

consider it done!! <3

Katie Dee
    November 21, 2014 at 3:15 am

OMG I have to echo everyone else here. I would love it if you would be willing to share your makeup tutorial. It’s perfect for the holidays!

November 21, 2014 at 4:19 am

Beautiful! Also, what is the makeup for this tutorial?! You look absolutely STUNNING and I’d love to see how to try to replicate that look. Please <3

Emerald Earrings
    November 21, 2014 at 4:43 am

I cannot wait to try this!! So excited! Thanks for the idea 🙂

November 21, 2014 at 5:40 am

Hi Cara! Where did you get your cute shirt?

Ashley H
    November 21, 2014 at 8:20 am

Yay! Can’t wait to try this. Your makeup in the first photo is GORGEOUS! I’d love a tutorial.

November 21, 2014 at 9:04 am

Will the Shortcake blush be coming back soon?… Mine has been out for a long time and I’m so sad about it… I haven’t found anything that compares… Please tell me that will be coming out soon!!!

November 21, 2014 at 9:11 am

I love the hair and make-up! So pretty and perfect for the Holiday season. I too would still participate in a Black Friday sale even if the product didn’t arrive for another few months.

November 21, 2014 at 10:11 am

I’m with everyone else….makeup tutorial PLEASE! Can’t wait to see the launch of the new line…..hoping we at least get a sneak peek soon so we know what we need ahead of time like last year. I’m actually kind of glad it’s not going on sale on black Friday—really didn’t enjoy staying up to order at mignight last year so hoping it goes on sale at a normal time of day this go round. Sorry, but this momma needs her sleep with two littles running around!

November 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

A little sad on the iiid update, but I think you made the right choice not to do pre-orders for Black Friday and having everyone waiting longer.

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    November 21, 2014 at 11:28 am

I love this curling technique and it looks amazing! I am going to give it a try!! 🙂

November 21, 2014 at 11:52 am

Hi Cara, wondering what haircolor are you using (brand/color)? Dyed dark brown hair can look flat and one-dimensional, but here yours looks so shiny and has real depth. Thanks!

November 21, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! It’s beautiful! I also love the makeup and agree with others that you should do a tutorial. 🙂

And while I’m being demanding…haha, you should do a tutorial on how to pull off dark lipstick like the one you’re wearing in the picture! I know there’s already a few tutorials floating around on pinterest, but I’d love to see your take on it. I bet you’d have some cool tips and advice. I’m freaked out to wear it in public, but I think it looks so pretty! Thanks, Cara! You’re awesome!

November 21, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Can you tell us what the color options will be for the reissued makeup? I’d like to do some advance thinking about what I should choose once pre-orders come out. Thanks!

Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is
    November 22, 2014 at 12:17 am

[…] post on faking finger waves in your hair. doing […]

November 22, 2014 at 6:52 am

After you apply the gel to your hair, do you blow dry it or let it air dry? and sad face about the IIID wait but eagerly awaiting for the next update.

Ariel Oliver
    November 22, 2014 at 9:43 am

I don’t put any product in my hair and use your regular old CHI straightener and get the same results! I just section off large chunks of hair and curl in, curl out curl in curl out, mimicking the wave shape and ta da! They stay all day and look awesome! I do this all the time.

November 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Sorry it has been a head ache for you! Ill buy it whenever it comes out. I agree that I would totally order now and wait it out. Makes no difference to me. Cant wait to see what the new stuff is like. I love the other stuff too!

November 22, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Hi i did a product review on my blog as well
    Check it out

Kiss & Make-up
    November 23, 2014 at 4:23 am

Those waves look PERFECT! 🙂 Love it.

November 23, 2014 at 8:32 am

Beautiful rippling waves & sexy glorious makeup! Why aren’t you in movies, Cara? You should be in the movies. Or at least doing the makeup & hair for movies! You’re much too good. 🙂 Bethany reminds me a little of Alicia Silverstone in the movie “Clueless”! I love Alicia Silverstone! As Alicia’s character, “Cher”, would say you both are a total Betty!!! 😉

November 23, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Hi!! This is so random but cara you have a typo on your about page where you spelled benefit mascara “their” real and not “they’re” real.

Also I’m very excited for the new and improved |||D foundation! I told myself I wanted to wait to purchase it until the second release so it got all the kinks worked out…I’m ready to buy it! Love that you don’t use animal testing and the price point is SO reasonable.

November 24, 2014 at 9:10 am

I love this look but I have several questions! First, is there a particular kind of gel you recommend? And I definitely need it, even if my hair holds curl well? I’m always very squeamish about hair products, but I’ll use it if you say I need to ;).

Second, I have really, really thick (kind of coarse hair AND lots of them!), wavy/curly hair. You mentioned that this works best on thin hair; shoukd I even attempt it? How do I get to the underneath layers of my hair? There’s no way I’m going to be able to curl all layers of hair at once. So do I pin the top up, curl the under layers, then do a top layer? Also, do I straighten my hair first? I’m thinking to try this on day-old hair anyway because its a little less huge then.

Thank you for any tips!

November 25, 2014 at 6:43 am

Would you just give a brief description of how you have done your eye makeup? I would love to do this for Thanksgiving?

November 26, 2014 at 3:34 am

I want to know the same thing!!

November 26, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Also would love to know how you get your hair so freakin’ shiny… It is sooooo pretty!

Katie Elwood
    November 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Love this post, I am always looking for a better way to get this look. Have you ever tried using a triple barrel waver to achieve this? I am thinking about getting one but have heard mixed reviews on them!

Festive And Chic DIY Finger Waves Hairstyle | Styleoholic
    November 28, 2014 at 9:32 am

[…] easy. You need to begin making curls with the top section of your hair. Read proper instructions at and complete the tutorial. […]

December 4, 2014 at 7:46 am

Need video!!
    post is a little confusing

Holiday Makeup Tutorial! | Maskcara
    December 16, 2014 at 1:01 am

[…] I posted THIS hair tutorial a few weeks ago I had a lot of requests for a tutorial for the makeup. Cause […]

March 26, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Great idea, I will have to try this. Love how natural it looks. BTW it should say “as opposed to” not “as appose to”. : )