Beauty Basics Eyeliner School Makeup

eyeliner School

First of all, Don’t Worry. This doesn’t mean the end of eyeshadow school (still much more to come on that front!) I just thought it would be fun to break it up a little bit with eyeliner school, since those two really do go hand in hand much of the time.

SO let’s get right into it, shall we?

Eyeliner Pencil or Stick: Probably the easiest and most often used type of liner. One of my long time favorites is L’Oreal Smoldering because it’s got great pigment and it’s totally affordable.

Liquid Eye Liner: This is the longest lasting of all eyeliner options and usually the darkest purest black. It can be tricky though and it usually takes a bit longer than any other option because it requires exact precision.

Cream Eyeliner: This is my go-to choice because I like the control, the easier blending and this seems to last in the tear line longer than other options! (Drugstore favorite)

Eyeshadow: You can always use shadow as liner too! It’s easiest when applied with a pointed or angled brush. It generally creates a soft blended line

Angled Brush: These thin brushes make applying cream or shadow liner a breeze and can also be used to blend your liner as well for softer smoother edges.

Pointed Brush:I prefer my liner brushes to have cone shape. It tends to be less “bendy” that way which give me more control and if I want to blend it’s totally capable of that. I use this for shadow liner and cream liner.

Flat Brush: This is an AWESOME tool to have around if you don’t have the steadiest of hands. When you use it with a cream liner you can literally “stamp” the liner right into your lash line which makes making a straight line totally do-able.

Got any eyeliner questions!? Hit me and I’ll get them all covered during class:)

Love ya’ll!

Jessica Pierson
    November 19, 2014 at 4:31 am

I still REALLY want a good mascara recommendation…. I have mastered most of the eye shadow techniques (palettes are my new love!), I’m excited for eye liner school, but I really need a good mascara still.

Hopefully to “top off” eye shadow and eye liner school, we can have some good mascara recommendations?

November 19, 2014 at 5:50 am

Diorshow is amazing!

November 19, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I’ve tried them ALL, drugstore brands, high end dept. store brands, sephora and ulta brands, organic, waterproof, volumizing, lenghtening, rubber brush, fat brush, skinny brush, you name it I’ve tried it. Even one of Cara’s recent favorites — Benefit’s They’re Real (too dry for me, it got flakey and stuck onto my contacts, ouchie). There was nothing that I ever truly loved.

Then for my bday Ulta gave me a free CK One Mascara and I’m in love. It is the only mascara that keeps my lashes curled all day, doesn’t flakey into my eyes, doesn’t smudge, is easy enough to remove, doesn’t dry out in the tube at all, and doesn’t break the bank at $18 ( When I finish this tube I’m getting another one (it will be the first time ever I’ve bought the same mascara twice!). The cap twists to change the shape of the brush which makes it apply thicker. I rarely use it as it seems plenty volumizing as it is.

November 19, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Dior Diorshow Iconic is my absolute favorite, but if you want more options I recently did a blogpost about my favorite mascaras on my blog
      Xoxo Nathalie

November 20, 2014 at 11:31 am

L’Oreal Miss Manga mascara! Also BTS (Better Than Sex) mascara! I think it’s by Too Faced, I forget just now.

November 19, 2014 at 4:46 am

I have a hard time finding the eyeliner balance between looking over-done/smokey eye territory (fine for weekends/date night, not so much for class or nannying) or not looking like I’m wearing makeup (if I just do a fine line on the top lashes)…any tips for an everyday look?

Amy Touchette
      November 19, 2014 at 8:18 am

I do a gel liner when I want it to be noticeable, but I do my liner with eyeshadow most days since you can easily pick how dark of a color you want to use and it ends up blending really well. Just my two cents! 🙂

November 19, 2014 at 4:58 am

You should also add cake eyeliner. Laura Mercier makes a good one or MAC pro. You can use it dry or wet.

November 19, 2014 at 5:12 am

I’d love a natural/smokey eye look but also how to tightline. I’ve tried and I always end up poking myself in the eye or it just irritates my eyes cause I some how got it on the inside of my upper eyelid…

Also, advice on lining the waterline since I’m never sure if I do it right and it always seems to look crazy weird when I do…

December 3, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I find the best way for me to apply liner to my tightline and waterline is to dip the round side of my brush in gel liner. It’s smooth so it won’t irritate your eye, just make sure it’s sanitized!

Maria Wright
    November 19, 2014 at 5:24 am

Could you please go over some options on the most flattering way to apply liner on hooded eyes? Seems no matter what I try, or how beautiful my liner work is, you can’t see it when I open my eyes.
    Thank you so much for all your wonderful tips and tricks all the time. You are an amazing makeup artist and an incredible human being!!!!

Erica Hollis
      November 19, 2014 at 10:53 am

that’s my problem and my liner always travels up my lids or under my eyes 😐 w/ hooded eyes it’s hard to use the exact directions makeup artists, magazines, etc advise… this is my biggest issue

November 19, 2014 at 5:31 am

When to just do the top lid vs top & bottom?
    Can you address different colors, like brown, black, navy?
    When to apply? Before mascara, or after?
    Should lid primer go all the way to the lash line? Does eyeliner go on over the primer?
    How about eyeliner pencil sharpeners? Any tips?

Have you tested the Younique mascara? It’s everywhere – but is it really that great and is it worth $30?

November 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

^all of this! Also, not sure if you’re a contact lens wearer, if not maybe other readers have suggestions – I’m a newbie at eyeliner and have tried a handful of brands & different types but they all either irritate my eyes or fall/rub off and stain my contacts.
      And I can’t be the only one with a wrinkly/uneven area where my upper lid meets my lashes, any tips on how to get the liner even and smooth looking when working with that?! Looking forward to liner school and more eyeshadow lessons – thank you for them!!

November 22, 2014 at 10:19 am

I have the younique and I love it. However I will say the two biggest cons are the length in which the mascara lasts (2-3 mths) and the multi step process. It really is awesome though. Oh I guess one other thing that bugs me at times is the ‘fiber lashes’ fall on my face a lot so I’m constantly wiping my face off.

November 19, 2014 at 5:52 am

I was just wondering about future eyeshadow school posts! YAY!! Thanks for all of the great tips, Cara! Hope little Billy is still thriving!

November 19, 2014 at 6:00 am

I would love a tutorial on cat eyes. Also, how to get the effect of cat eye liner when you’re 36 and getting some laugh lines around your eyes. Thank you so much! I am a regular reader and have learned SO much from you!

Ariana Raftopoulos
    November 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

I would love to know how to use eyeliner to help re-shape your eye from say round to almond or vice-versa.

I love Stila stay all day liquid liner. It is so easy to use! Maybelline has a pretty good dupe if you don’t want to spend $20!

November 20, 2014 at 7:31 am

I would LOVE to know how to do this, too!! I have big eyes that I would love to make more of an almondy shape! I’d be so excited to have a sexier eye shape whenever I want to. 🙂 So yes please, pretty pretty P L E A S E with a cherry on top and sprinkles! And chocolate shavings! 🙂 😉

November 19, 2014 at 7:00 am

If fake lashes are involved.. in what order do you apply eyeliner and how do you apply it?

November 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

Can you please show the best way to do tight lining ? I love that look but can never get my upper lid to have a clean neat line. Thanks

November 19, 2014 at 7:20 am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEAAASSSEEEE do a tutorial for the winged liner look! I am such a fan, but I just fail every time! And if it could be a video tutorial…that would be even better…just so I can actually see the movement! 🙂

November 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

Yes!!! I second this! Ever since I started following your blog I have been dying for a tutorial on the winged liner look. I was so glad when you said recently you’ve been doing it a lot. I love it but need some serious help. It is probably my biggest makeup weakness. And I also would second the video request! That would be so helpful!

November 19, 2014 at 9:42 am

November 20, 2014 at 3:12 am

Agree! I also would like to see the winged eyeliner video tutorial feature several different eye shapes (multiple “models” since all eyes are not the same shape).

I don’t have a lot of space between the crease and my eye lashes, and have noticed that lot of the winged looks I see online have a thicker wing than I have room for. Just wondering where to start and stop, and how thick to go.

November 19, 2014 at 7:28 am

Can you just please tell me which hot tool you used on Bethany’s hair. I need to buy it asap. I can not even wait for the hair tutorial!

November 19, 2014 at 7:58 am

Can you please show us how to apply any eyeliner without stretching the skin? Pretty please!

November 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

Can you give advice on eyeliner with almond or hooded eyes. After I apply it always smears on my upper lid and ended up down under my eye like a raccoon. I can’t get eyeliner to stay where I put it! I am currently using the creme eyeliner and like it but I had the same problem with the smolder stick too. Liquid is the best but I don’t like the sharp line. Thx!

Erica Hollis
      November 19, 2014 at 10:54 am

this is what i’m sayin!!! help us hooded/almond/chink eyed girls loll

November 20, 2014 at 3:15 am

This, exactly!! The hooded/almond gals need some help please. I always get it smeared above the crease on that hood-like area, even when I wear a primer. I’ve only tried pencil eyeliners so far, so maybe that’s part of my problem?

jennipher h
    November 19, 2014 at 8:50 am

I really want to know ALL about tightlining and waterlining (is that the right word?). What to use, how to do it etc. And how to get eyeliner to stay in my waterline. I cannot figure it out! If I use some products my eyes sting and water, then it is gone. If I use some products the liner is gone in 2 hours (where did it go!!?). Help. I TOTALLY trust you and really hope to hear from you on these two subjects. BTW, I wear hard contacts sometimes and glasses other times. Also, I just want to say how much I loved your post about eye makeup for glasses. Life. Changing. Love you, love you and congratulations on your newest edition to your family!

November 19, 2014 at 8:51 am

The angled brush slightly terrifies me. Do you have any tutorials on how to use it?
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

November 19, 2014 at 8:57 am

Hi Cara,
    One of my eyes is smaller than the other. Do you have any tips for using eyeliner to make them look more equal?

November 19, 2014 at 9:08 am

I have the same problem! I hope I am the only one who notices the different size between my eyes.

November 19, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Can you talk about how to prevent raccoon eyes? I have oily eyelids but love the look of kohl, pencil and cream/gel eyeliners. They are smear and smudge no matter what I do. (Eyelid/undereye primer, powder under eyes, setting with black eyeshadow, setting with hairspray on Q-tip.) I have tried drugstore and high end brands. Liquid eyeliner is the only thing that works but i have a hard time putting it on evenly.

November 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I would love an eyeliner rec for a woman that wears contacts and has oily eyelids.

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    November 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I’d live a winged liner tutorial! I am so terrible at it 🙁

November 19, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I’d love to see some colored eyeliner looks – fun purple, navy, teal, etc! Also, I’m really hoping you can teach me how to use liquid eyeliner. I feel like I’ve mastered all of the others, but me and liquid eyeliner do NOT get alone. (Also, thanks for the tip on the drugstore creme/gel eyeliner. That’s been my go-to waterline eyeliner since you first mentioned it a couple years ago. I love that stuff!)

November 19, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Video’s please!!! I would also love some recs on mascara. Love your blog!

November 19, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I have 3 dilemmas. I wear contact lenses,I have hooded eyelids, and my eyelids are oily. How in the world do I get my liner to stay? Lol help!

November 20, 2014 at 6:55 am

Can I get some help on just how to use liquid liner at all? I’ve tried a couple different brands of the pen style liquid liners and I can’t get any color to show up on my lids at all! Not just can’t get it how/where I want it, but I can’t get any to come out of the tip at all. Thanks!!

November 21, 2014 at 3:41 am

Love this series!! I with all the hooded lid girls…please consider a post in this series on tightline/waterline for us? Maybe recreating a Brittney Snow or Jennifer Lawrence look? Thank you for creating this amazing place to learn about bettering ourselves! It’s truly life changing. Xo

November 24, 2014 at 5:37 am

How does one know if they should use eyeliner on top, bottom, partial, or combo?

November 24, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hi Cara, Great post, I love when you give me detailed tips and tricks. I wanted to ask if you could do one of these posts one lip liner. I have just started wearing lipsticks and am not sure how and which ones to apply.

Anna Bennion
    November 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

YES!!! Thank you a billion for doing eyeliner school! I am so intimidated by eyeliner! HURRAH!

Clickables » Just a Touch Too Much
    December 11, 2014 at 1:01 pm

[…] 2.  I could definitely benefit from enrolling in eyeliner school ( […]

[email protected]
    April 22, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I love your blog! Thanks for always giving such great tips.