Hair Hair Tutorials

Ditching the split

When you’re growing out your hair it can be REALLY frustrating to go get trims.
Most people’s hair only grows about a half an inch a month so if you go trimming very often, you’ll probably chop off everything you’ve gained. You might even lose more if your stylist gets scissor happy!
On the other hand if you just let your split ends run wild, they’re going to end up trashing the rest of your hair. Leaving you with stringy, hash brown ends.

So what’s a girl to do?

Selfie trims.
Yep. (And they are much better than actual selfies, in which my nose doubles in size and my chin comes in multiples)
It will actually save you some money to because (as the name implies) you do it yo self.
It’s not brain science or rocket surgery or anything but I made you a video to demonstrate anyway:)

(if you wanna see all the things I have to say about growing hair check out THIS POST – If you are totally loving your short hair I’m in full support of that too. I’m DIGGIN’  it lately too 🙂

Wishes & Reality
    November 6, 2014 at 5:52 am

Love this idea! Currently in this boat so thanks for the tip:)

Heidi D.

Christine presto
    November 6, 2014 at 6:43 am

I’ve actually been doing this as well, a lot! I first saw you mention it a bit ago – your hair tips are always on point!! I’ve also been actually cutting my hair too as I’m growing it out and growing out the layers that makes my hair look so much thinner. I section it into 3 parts (back of head, side part section from the crown to ear, and then the smaller section of the side of my hair from crown to ear). I then twist the back, in 2 sections, and trim straight across as I pull down. Then twist and cut straight across with the 2 side sections. I’ve definitely noticed a difference in length, tangling, split ends, etc… This is the video I used to figure out how to cut:

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    November 6, 2014 at 6:58 am

Thanks for this Cara! Do you have any tips for growing out layers?

November 6, 2014 at 8:07 am

Seriously though, your blog is amazing.

Check mine out if you get a chance, xoxo.

November 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

This is great. I am trying to grow my hair out and I need to get rid of my split ends right now. My question is how do you get the back by yourself? I am seriously about to go do this right now hahaha.

Pink Haired Princess
    November 6, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’ve been growing mine since last year and growing my fringe (bangs) out too. I also haven’t coloured it since last year, so it’s interesting to see EXACTLY how much it’s grown (my old colour was purple, so it’s now faded pink, almost white and my natural is brunette)…I might try this as I don’t want to cut it and lose the length, how do you do the back though? Not sure my hair is long enough to bring round to the front to see.

November 7, 2014 at 3:29 am

were you wearing your IID foundation in this video!? looks great!

ashley sullivan
    November 8, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I am completely loving your makeup in this video! Any chance you remember what you used?
    So beautiful!!!

November 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Great tip! I would have never thought of doing it that way. How do you trim it in the back?

November 11, 2014 at 7:16 am

I need to start doing this! My hair is growing so slow and breaks really easily, so I have the hardest time growing it out. Thanks!

November 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

You’re so right it’s very addicting. Back in high school I used to spend most of my spanish class clipping my split ends. I kept a tiny cuticle scissors in my pencil pouch for this very reason. In hind sight I probably should have spent a little more time conjugating verbs. Ahh well

November 13, 2014 at 5:27 pm

May i ask what is on your lips? perfect color!