HAC Makeup Skin Skin Products Skin Tutorials

Tip Tuesday: Foundation for Oily/combination Skin!

I have dry skin.
Which has caused me to become so laser focused on foundations for dry skin that I am pretty ashamed to say that for a long time I was leaving all of my oily/combo skinned girls out in the dark.
In my defense I don’t usually think of oily skin as a problem! I’m always trying to create the luminous glow with makeup and you guys have it built-in. Plus I think it makes your skin age slower. Grass is always greener complex, I guess.
Once I posted my Prettilist I quickly realized the error of my ways and decided to search far and wide for some options for you ladies as well.

The problem I have seen with many if not most of the Oil Free or oily skin focused foundations is they can be pretty heavy and can accentuate fine lines and wrinkles. I’d heard a lot of buzz from other bloggers about Laura Mercier’s new Flawless Fluid Foundation. When I found out it was oil free I was pretty excited to investigate.  I’ve always been a huge fan of anything Laura Mercier creates because she speaks to my soul. SHE DOESN’T WANT MAKEUP TO LOOK LIKE MAKEUP! She wants your face to be the star. And I’m totally on board with that.
I love the way this foundation is super thin but has good coverage at the same time . I also love that instead of a dry cardboard finish (like many I’ve tried) it has a velvety soft finish.

laura

Two things you need to know when using this bad boy would be

ONE: a little bit goes a long way. Don’t over do it! Less is more:

TWO: you want to use a sponge to apply it. All of the Laura foundations are designed specifically to be used with a sponge that will help the small amount spread properly around your face.

Another oily skin must have is setting powder! I’ve found my favorite powder for oily skin is Ben Nye Banana Powder. I love that it really gets after those oils but I also love the color. It’s yellow (hence the banana) so it doesn’t look ashy or ghostly on the skin.

banana

Another favorite is Laura’s Secret Finish and it’s mattifying gel that is designed to go on top of ANY other face products (including powders) for oil soaking touch ups through out the day. I am petrified of too many powder touch ups because it’s pretty easy to get cakey and splotchy by the end of the day and this is the perfect alternative to that for soaking up those oils.

laura2

Revlon Colorstay has long been my favorite drugstore foundation for cutting the oil and lasting a LONG time but I wanted to do some research and see if there was a new sherif in town that I hadn’t taken notice of yet…but I after all of that I ended up sticking with the Colorstay. It lasts forever and it goes on nice and smooth and cuts the grease:)

revlon

I’m still in search of a great primer for oily skin so if you have any advice on that, I’d love to hear it!

Talk to you later!

signature

101 Comments

Amanda
    November 4, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I have oily/combination skin, and I’ve tried SO many primers. After trying so many, I always come back to NARS Pro-Prime Oil Free Pore Refining Primer. It doesn’t totally mattify, which I like, and it’s definitely effective. I also use the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray. These two products together are miracle workers for my makeup!

Sara Miller (@SaraSarie72)
    November 4, 2014 at 6:33 pm

What about those with troubled skin like Rosacea? I’m 32 years old, and I can’t find anything that helps, or covers my bumps. 🙁

Amy
      November 5, 2014 at 7:30 am

Have you seen a dermatologist? There are definitely products to help with rosacea. And this is a pretty good guide to how to care for skin with rosacea. http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-disorders/_/skin-care-for-rosacea

Amy
      December 24, 2015 at 2:15 pm

this may be a super old post, but I am just seeing it now. I agree with another person who posted about Paula’s choice. You should definitely check it out if you have not yet. She has a lot of new products that just came out too! I have used her stuff for years and LOVE it!

Barbara
    November 4, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Thank you for this post!! I can’t wait to try these!!

Tricia Johnson
    November 4, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I have insanely oily skin and use the Smashbox green primer and love it. I’ve been using it for about 10 years and love it!

Diane
    November 4, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I would have to say Hourglass. It is so pricey however it works…. Not all day but most of the day. After setting spray and powder.

Dana
    November 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I have horribly dry skin. And everything I try just looks cakey, and sticks to the dry flakes and patches and makes it look even worse. I can exfoliate and or dry brush my face to get the dead skin and flakes off or I can just wash my face with a non-exfoliating face wash and no matter what nothing works for me to have a smooth face so the makeup goes on flawlessly. Ugh! I got so sick of it that I don’t even wear foundation or really any face makeup, just some eye makeup every now and then. I look like the walking dead because I’m so pale and have purple under eye circles but so what. I envy you guys with oily skin!!! If you have any advice Cara it would be appreciated. Even tried the First Aid Ultra Repair Creme, and it didn’t help much at all.

Kasey
      November 5, 2014 at 2:43 am

There are several face oils that maybe you can try. Research unrefined coconut oil for your face, it’s supposed to be wonderful. My grandmother used to slather her face in vasoline every night (the thought of this makes me cringe as I have super oily skin) and her skin looked absolutely amazing until the day she passed. Something to consider?

Michelle
    November 4, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Smashbox photo finish oil free primer is amazing! Holds my make up all day. The MAC face protect is also pretty good.

ailyn
    November 4, 2014 at 11:13 pm

lucky i found this post, these comments are true experiences that I would love to try! but i don’t think we have Smashbox in Adelaide, definitely will try the NARS

Keiko Porath
    November 4, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I tried with a primer from clinique, but I was not completely satisfied.
    One day I used Vichys Normaderm night cream for mistake before make up and the result was just wonderful!
    It is inexpensive, lets your skin matte, pores closed and oil free!

Greetings from Chile! Absolutely love your blog

Miss Viola Swamp (@imaqt209421)
    November 5, 2014 at 12:22 am

I personally like Murad’s mattifyer. I’ve also heard great things about Mac’s Skin Refined Zone. Hope this helps!

Katie
    November 5, 2014 at 12:40 am

Have you tried the Porefessional primer? I’ve got serious oily skin with large pores and it’s been the only thing I’ve found that really does matify and hide those pores. Thank you for looking out for the oily women!

Emily
    November 5, 2014 at 12:50 am

I have combo/oily skin, and I like to use Benefit’s Porefessional. I also use Guerlain’s Meteorites primer, which really is quite lovely- but very pricey. I stick to Porefessional for most days, and use Meteorites for special occasions.

Marie
    November 5, 2014 at 12:58 am

I have super oily skin. (Greasy minutes after applying my makeup) The best primer I have found is OC8 Professional Mattifying Gel. It’s supposed to last 8 hours. I still have to blot by the 1 hour mark, but it does help.

trinagallop
    November 5, 2014 at 12:59 am

For primers, my fav is Bobbi Brown Hydrating Gel. Definitely keeps down the shine. But so does Urban Decay setting spray for oily/combination skin.

Katie
    November 5, 2014 at 1:31 am

I recently tried Tarte’s BB cream at the recommendation of a couple girls at Sephora. So far, I’ve been impressed – it’s a really light tinted moisturizer/primer combo, but it seems to do a good job keeping my face oil-slick-free (but still “dewy”) all day.

CC
    November 5, 2014 at 1:32 am

I noticed a huge difference in my oily/combo skin when I switched from regular cleansers to doing the oil cleansing method. I was so skeptical at first, but it has certainly gotten my “oiliness” under control and I don’t have to search far & wide for oil-blocking agents. Plus, my skin just looks so much better having switched to this method, I don’t need as much foundation at all. Just thought I would pitch it out in case buying more foundation to try is frustrating for some of your readers. I researched the oil cleansing method on pinterest and found so many articles and “recipes”. It also helps those with dull or dry complexions have a dewy (not oily or greasy, I swear!) look as well. just a thought!

Kasey
      November 5, 2014 at 2:36 am

Do you have acne breakouts? Or did you before you started the oil method? I still have acne at 27 & am afraid to try the oil method because of it.

Sara
        November 5, 2014 at 3:56 am

I had acne my whole life and after a long time of hesitation I switched my night moisturizer to grape seed oil. My skin is oily with acne so I thought I was doing something so stupid but it legit improved my acne and because my skin was getting oil it actually started producing less. It was a win win. I did test it on only one side of my face just to be able to compare for about 2 weeks.

teenerg
          November 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm

This is such great info!! I really have been struggling with my oily skin so long I feel like I’ve tried everything out there, but maybe not! I was curious how long did it take before you noticed less oily skin during the day after oils on your skin? I have tried SK-II Cleansing oil and and Agenist treatment oil. I like what the do for my skin, but I didn’t notice any less oil. I bounce around a lot with my skincare, so I’m wondering if maybe I just didn’t give it long enough consistently using oils.

• Makayla
            November 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I have recently switched to oil cleansing as well and Live Crude has an excellent oil cleansing system and it is so simple! Go to http://www.livecrude.com and check it out. The “Starter Kit” is awesome! When I wake up in the morning, my skin used to be SUPER oily and after switching to Live Crude, my skin feels so smooth and soft. I love it so far! I would definitely recommend it to every oily skinned face out there 🙂

CC
        November 27, 2014 at 1:31 am

I actually do not have issues with acne (unless it’s around my cycle and even then the oil does not aggrivate them), but some of the recipes call for witch hazel to be added to your oil if this is an issue. Once I started reading about it, I kept seeing information of why this helps break down oil or oily skin — it’s a basic chemistry philosophy of like-dissolves-like. So if you have breakouts because of oily skin…I’m not sure what the outcome would be. But as I researched I kept seeing testimonials of women who had issues with acne having good results with the OCM. Good luck with it if you try it!!

holly
    November 5, 2014 at 2:06 am

The Revlon Colorstay is what I used to ise 1 year ago. I had read in some reviews that we should use the colorstay labeled for “dry” skin if we have oily skin, and use the “oily” formula if we have dry skin. Do you have any thoughts on that, Cara?

Kasey
    November 5, 2014 at 2:34 am

Thank you!!! I have super oily skin & am always using those oil blotting sheets like crazy. I can never find a foundation that doesn’t make my skin super oily. I use Nars tinted moisturizer right now & it makes my face really oily.

Leigh
    November 5, 2014 at 3:05 am

After trying what seems like all the mattifying primers on the market, my favorite is the Dior Pore Minimizer Skin Refining Matte Primer. It really helps control oil, and when the oil does eventually begin to peek through, it keeps the makeup from breaking down or sliding off my face. It is a little pricey, around $40-ish, but you might keep it in mind for the Sephora VIB sale.

Andrea
    November 5, 2014 at 3:07 am

The Sephora 8-Hour Mattifying moisturizer with sunscreen works well for me – as a moisturizer and a primer. I have combination skin that ends up oily and dry at the same time, but this moisturizer combined with the Urban Decay setting spray keeps my skin from getting too dry or too shiny!

Krystal R
    November 5, 2014 at 3:20 am

I have combination skin and am still trying to find a good primer so I am excited about the above comments to try some of the recommendations 🙂 As far as Foundations go, I have to tell you that I thought I had Oily skin until I tried BECCA foundation for Oily Skin. It completely dried my skin out! So if you have extremely oily skin maybe you should try that foundation because I can tell you that there was not an ounce of oil left on my skin after trying that foundation!

Maya
    November 5, 2014 at 3:45 am

About a week ago I bought the Vichy Normaderm Total Mat Anti-Shine Mattifier. It is GREAT! I have very oily skin and live in Texas so the humidity and heat make the problem much worse. This has been a godsend. It keeps the oil at bay all day and does not irritate my sensitive skin.I pair this with a touch of Porefessional around my nose and I can go the entire work day without blotting my face. I also ordered the Peter Thomas Roth Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel and this work amazingly as well. The Vichy is $10 less though so I will be sticking with that one.

Maya
      November 5, 2014 at 3:48 am

I’d like to add that I have been using that with the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream and I absolutely love the pairing. I want to try the Laura Mercier that you recommended but I can’t justify buying something when this pairing is just so perfect for my skin.

Emerald Earrings
      November 5, 2014 at 4:36 am

Do you use this as a primer under your foundation, or as a sealant on top?

Maya
        November 7, 2014 at 11:24 am

I use as a primer but the packaging says you can touch up with it over make up. I have not yet needed to do that though.

Jill
    November 5, 2014 at 3:50 am

I have extremely oily skin (luckily I live in a very dry climate also) so nothing is going to mattify for long, but I recently started using Lorac’s mattifying primer (Porefection, I think) and it does a pretty great job. I read so many great reviews online about Estee Lauder’s Double Wear that I decided to give it a try. Because my skin is so oily, it is not cakey and has better lasting coverage than any other foundation I’ve tried. I tried applying with the Beauty Blender but this foundation seems to work better if I apply with Tarte’s buffer airbrush finish foundation brush. It is interesting to me that people with dry skin wish they had oily skin…I hope all this oiliness will result in slower aging because I hate it! Can’t keep any makeup on and skin goes beyond dewy to look greasy within a couple of hours of applying makeup, or wearing no makeup at all.

Claire
    November 5, 2014 at 3:53 am

I have the absolute oiliest skin on the planet and I have to recommend the Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector by Becca. It is hands-down a Holy Grail product for me. The texture and formula is NOT fluid like other primers so I just squeeze a “pea” out and spread it on my T-zone. Works great over makeup for touch-ups, too. I have used this to get through the swampy summers in Washington, D.C. and have never found anything else to beat it–and believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING.

Claire
      November 5, 2014 at 3:58 am

Another HUGE plus to the Becca primer–it is silicone free! My dermatologist strictly advised that silicone primers are not advised for people who have oily, acne-prone skin. Besides the fact that it will impede already slow exfoliation, silicone creates a slippery texture that oily skin already does without primer. This one is also free of oil, alcohol, and fragrance!

tara
    November 5, 2014 at 4:03 am

I have oily skin, and the best primer I have tried is the Hourglass primer. I know you have talked about how much you like this one, and it works really well for me. Pretty pricey though!!

Sarah
    November 5, 2014 at 4:07 am

Cara- when does your new IIID come out?!

Catherine R.
    November 5, 2014 at 4:23 am

I have super oily skin and I have found Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer to be fantastic. I know it is pricey at $50.00 a bottle but you only need about half a pump for your whole face and one bottle lasts me 6 months. It’s worth the money. I would also like to say that for ladies like me who have super oily skin and live in very humid climates (thank you Alabama!) nothing will completely fix your oil problem. That said, this primer and a good setting powder have been game changers for me. I don’t want to look totally matte because as Caroline Hirons says “the only matte skin is dead skin.”

Emerald Earrings
    November 5, 2014 at 4:26 am

I still struggle with oily skin so I am super excited to look into these! The best finishing powder I have ever found is the ELF HD loose powder…. it is beyond amazing and only $6!

Jordann
    November 5, 2014 at 4:26 am

I have crazy oily skin and the best I have found is KORRES mattifying primer the pomegranate one. Another great matte foundation is Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet. But it’s quite heavy. Thank you for recommending lighter options because I need them!

Amy
    November 5, 2014 at 4:27 am

I work in a cosmetics department (I work for Philosophy 🙂 ) that has a Laura Mercier in it… a helpful hint for this foundation is to make sure you shake the bottle for a good 45 seconds prior to use! The foundation prior to shaking is basically a water-based serum with pigment settled at the bottom. This composition allows the foundation to have such good coverage while remaining very thin. So make sure you shake it up, or you won’t be very pleased with what comes out of the bottle 🙂

Jessica Pierson
    November 5, 2014 at 4:35 am

Do you have any advice for combination skin?? My nose and chin are fairly oily (despite my religious using of the Clarisonic for the last couple of months) but my cheeks tend to be dry. I would really like a good BB cream or foundation, something with just a little coverage that won’t rub off on my glasses (’cause that just looks gross when you take off your glasses and realize the nose piece is covered in skin colored oily stuff!). The last few days I’ve been using Avon’s version of Bare Minerals, which isn’t bad, but the last time I used it I found it dried my skin out TOO much in the oily places…

HELP!

I might gives these oily products a try for my T zone area…. really I don’t need to wear foundation, just need something to use as a highlighter for my HAC. Thanks Love!

Emily
    November 5, 2014 at 4:38 am

The RImmel Stay Matte Primer works great! I feel like I have to use a lot each time so the tube doesn’t last long though. I’ve recently purchased the NYX Shine Killer primer but haven’t tried it yet. I’m hoping it works! Oily skin sucks! It’s not a pretty glow like makeup creates it’s a greasy, makeup sliding mess! Haha!

Kendra
    November 5, 2014 at 4:39 am

Trying to be excited about these new foundations but I’ve been saving up for the massive splurge on yours and cant afford all of them .Pre sales of IIID didn’t happen in Oct and my shade of medium has been out for a year . I’m so super bummed and giving up hope . I love your site and think your the best teacher ever but please no more teasers about IIID . Don’t want presales ; just want to buy it and get it in my hands

Tammy
    November 5, 2014 at 4:49 am

The Laura Mercier foundation sounds perfect. Thank you

K
    November 5, 2014 at 4:52 am

Lots of Reviews on Amazon on the Ben Nye powder say its not the real deal . Where do you buy yours ?

Ashley Mills
    November 5, 2014 at 5:09 am

I live in Louisiana and use plain Milk of Magnesia as my primer. I learned this tip from Wayne Goss. You can either apply the Milk of Magnesia to clean skin and wipe it off after 5 minutes or let it dry and apply makeup. It is the only primer that not only keeps the oil at bay, but it truly helps my foundation stay in place. Hands down my favorite foundation for my super oily skin is Estee Lauder Double Wear. It lasts and helps with the oil. Hope this helps someone else!

Lena
      November 8, 2014 at 2:55 am

this is an oldie but goodie trick. i do this too but found that i tend to look a bit ashy with this on. but it does work.

Jackie
    November 5, 2014 at 5:09 am

A recommendation for an oily eyelid eye primer would be FAB!!

Alexandria
      November 5, 2014 at 10:56 am

I have super oily eyelids…(seriously, my eyeshadow would be gone within an hour) and I tried the ELF eye lid primer solely because it was so cheap ($2 or $3?) and it works AMAZINGLY!!! Like, I will never try a more expensive one because this one works so well! My eyeshadow now stays on all day and I never even have to think about it!

Alexandria
        November 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

I should add that Cara recommended this primer in a post too! 🙂

Kris
        November 10, 2014 at 6:16 am

Will have to try this as my eyelids are super oily. Eyeliner is lucky to stay on 1/2 hour!

Kara
    November 5, 2014 at 5:15 am

I have super oily skin and I am loving these more “fluid” foundations. Chanel has one I really one to try that sounds very similar to this Laura Mercier. I love that they provide the coverage but aren’t heavy. I also love the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. But the one thing I noticed is it works better to pat it on rather than try to rub it in. Thank you for these other suggestions!

kartasi
    November 5, 2014 at 5:35 am

I have the oiliest skin of anyone I’ve ever met. After trying every primer for oily skin, a Sephora associate suggested I try Murad Oil-Control Mattifier. GAME CHANGER! It’s a lotion, with sunscreen, that magically mattifies my face. It’s expensive, but as someone who had an oil slick by 10am every day, it’s worth every penny.

RunLelaRun
    November 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

I am oily (though not as oily as I once was) and rely on Benefit’s Porefessional for primer as it is seemingly the only one that does not break me out. I also like their Porefessional Secret Agent powder for touch ups.

You can pry my Urban Decay De-Slick spray out of my cold dead hands. It won’t prevent oiliness, but it will make your makeup stick to your skin all day and you can tap some powder on late in the day. It makes a drastic difference for me.

Andi Sutton
    November 5, 2014 at 6:52 am

Mary Kay has a PHENOMENAL primer. I have super oily skin. You could just about wring me out by the end of the day prior to using it, and my makeup would pretty much fall right off my face. http://www.marykay.com/asutton403. And, the primer is super affordable. Just $16, and you only need a pea sized amount, so it will last you forevah!

myfairdaily
    November 5, 2014 at 6:54 am

I used to have normal/dry skin when I was on the pill but since coming off of it my skin has become oily and break out prone 🙁 The foundation I really love right now is the Tarte 12 Hour Amazonian Clay Foundation. It stays all day and I think it helps combat the oil and acne problems I am facing (plus I just love Tarte products on my skin). I really would love to try the Laura Mercier Flawless Fluid Foundation and the Revlon Color Stay 😀

M
      November 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

Same thing happened to me! It will normalize after awhile… The hormones need a little while to balance out.

Pegah
    November 5, 2014 at 6:54 am

That Laura Mercier foundation saved me!!
    THANK YOU for the amazing tip, I went straight to Sephora and got colorIQ matched for this stuff, it is heavenly on my oily/combo skin. I have tried SO many foundations in the past and always have to blot or apply more powder throughout the day, but this stuff stayed matte and looked so natural!
    You’re the BEST!

Lily
    November 5, 2014 at 7:29 am

I struggled trying to find a foundation that worked for both my skin type and my skin tone. So many were chalky or orange or both. My savior has been a shockingly cheap brand, Rimmel London, that is actually perfect for me: http://www.amazon.com/Rimmel-Lasting-Finish-Liquid-Foundation/dp/B004LXJTGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415212005&sr=8-1&keywords=rimmel+foundation.

I don’t use anything else now. It’s provides good coverage, but keep my skin looking moisturized and healthy. Really like it!

5dogmom
    November 5, 2014 at 7:31 am

Two of my favorite foundations are Giorgio Armani Maestro liquid for when my skin isn’t dry – it looks HORRIBLE on dry skin. In winter when I’m a little dry i like Ellis Faas Fluid Veil Foundation.

Chely
    November 5, 2014 at 8:15 am

I am NOT a big fan of Laura Mercier!! I do have super oily skin. I used one of her primers for oily skin and I broke out, not in pimples, but in cystic acne. It took FOREVER to go away. FOREVER!! Months and Months. It was a nightmare! It took me years to use something on my face. Now, just recently, I started using the brand, IT cosmetics and it has been a blessing. No joke. I use the CC foundation with the spf50 and it has been amazing. I’ve tried other CC creams and I am a big grease ball in less than an hour! I thought the IT cosmetics would cause something horrible to happen but it has not. It actually helps with my oil AND my pores look SMALL!! I still get oily but not like before. It does not feel heavy, it actually feels like I have nothing on. I have never tried anything like that. All those other brands that have that gimmick…it’s literally a gimmick. I look natural and I get compliments. I never received compliments before.

SL
    November 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

Thanks for these recommendations, Cara! I’ve had oily/combination skin my whole life and recently discovered Hourglass Immaculate liquid powder mattifying oil-free foundation, which is pricey but it works beautifully. It’s the only foundation that has kept my oily skin in check for almost the entire day. For a less expensive option, I use Makeup Forever mat velvet foundation and I’ve been fairly pleased. Both options have decent coverage with minimal touchups needed. Thanks!

Chely
    November 5, 2014 at 8:23 am

One more thing, we oily girls will always be oily even with the best stuff. I suggest using blotting papers instead of powder through out the day. I get the green tea ones from Ulta. They are great. Using powder ALL through the day will cause breakouts, and sometimes cystic acne. We have to exfoliate a couple of times through out the week and use a good facial wash. We also have to use some type of lotion or oil on our face. I love the organic coconut oil from Trader Joe’s but I only use that at night. I use something light during the morning.

jennipher h
    November 5, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks so so much for this post. I have oily oily oily skin (not kidding!) and have such a hard time finding products that work. I was suuper excited to try your IIID foundation and so disappointed when I realized it wasn’t going to work for my super oily skin. So, I am doubly happy to see this post and to hear that there will be future posts on this subject as it is a constant issue for me. I have tried so so may products but this is what I am currently using:

Urban Decay Chill Makeup Setting Spray – I use this after face lotion and before POREfessional and then I use it again after the next two listed below but right before foundation.

Benefit The POREfessional – is use this to fill my pores. Oily skin, means HUGE pores. It does nothing to control my oil (yes, that is how oily my skin is) but it works great as a face putty.

OC Eight Professional Mattifying Gel – I use this AFTER the Benefit product above.

I recently read that this works great:

Monistat SootTing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel – this is on my list to try next. Kinda excited to try something totally not meant for this purpose, cuz who knows, maybe it will be great and its a great price!

I respect your opinion so much and really love every single one of your posts, no matter whatthey are about. <3

Lena
      November 8, 2014 at 2:58 am

this works ok to prime (smoothen skin), but for oil control, the milk of magnesia beats it.

bonniebes
    November 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Cara. I have been using NYX Shine Control gel under Benefit Porefessional (which I had tried before and not really liked). It’s working pretty well. I would love to try the Hourglass products but can’t really justify the price. I, too, am using a Rimmel foundation and am shocked to be using something so inexpensive. I have been using on a huge tub of Ben Nye powder for well over a year and it’s still over half full.

April
    November 5, 2014 at 9:49 am

The Becca Ever-Matte primer is amazing! I have incrediblyyyy oily skin, and live in Georgia where you basically have oily skin regardless because of the humidity. I use this primer in the summertime under even heavy foundations, and it is incredible! It’s expensive, but absolutely worth every penny if it keeps your 2hour makeup application on all day :).

Jessica
    November 5, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks for this post! I’ve heard good things about the Revlon foundation (and Estee Lauder Double Wear) but now I’m definitely going to try it! I was just accepted into nursing school so makeup touch-ups will probably slowly become a thing of the past on long school days.
    My mom would totally agree with you about oily skin aging well. I used to complain to her about my oily hair and face and she said, “oh one day you’ll love it. You’ll look younger longer and eventually it will even out!”
    I live in Utah and I have a problem with oily skin! It is actually sensitive, combination skin though – shiny t-zone with dry cheeks. I usually end up using different products on different parts of my face. Every mattifying product I have used causes my skin to over-compensate by pouring out EXTRA oil. It’s really bizarre. Now I just stick with products for normal skin and make sure to moisturize – especially on my dry cheeks.
    I have been using Prep+Prime Natural Radiance from Mac with various Mac foundations. It’s pretty light-weight. I don’t think it’s very oil controlling or mattifying but it does make my foundation go on nicely.
    Oil blotting papers from Boscia are the best! They don’t take too much of your foundation off with them like a lot of other blotting paper do.
    Powder touch-ups through the day are bad for me just. I get cakey looking. In the morning I like using the tiniest bit of Too Faced Primed and Poreless as setting powder.
    On a different note, I have a lot of red pigment in my skin, especially my cheeks. I have been using It Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Correcting Creme. It isn’t green but it seems to have a lot of ashy-ness in it. My redness DISAPPEARS. It is full coverage but I like to use my regular foundation over it so I don’t actually look ashy.

Jessica
    November 5, 2014 at 10:03 am

One other thing – Tarte’s powder foundation is awesome. I like to use it over a BB cream. The coverage is good and it just blends right in so it doesn’t look powdery. The brush is essential!!! It doesn’t go on the same without the brush. QVC has a deal so you can get the brush with it for less.

Madchen
    November 5, 2014 at 10:12 am

Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. I have oily skin and live in Oklahoma and this keeps my oil under control even in July and August. All I have to do to touch-up is use blotting powder about mid-day and a light dusting of powder and I’m good to go again.

Madchen
    November 5, 2014 at 10:13 am

It’s by Becca Cosmetics. I forgot to mention that 🙂

Erin
    November 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I had the same thing (particularly my nose, skin would just sit there all flaky and disgusting) and I just used Redwin Sorbolene Moisturiser every night before I went to bed and it worked wonders. I know there’s people that say you shouldn’t use it because it blocks your pores etc but it was the only thing I could find at the time that would work. I use the Michael Todd skincare range for dry skin now and the moisturiser in it is really good because it’s a serum so soaks into your skin really nicely (and smells amazing) so it depends how much money you want to spend! The sorbolene is only about $5-$6 for a tube…in Australia anyway.

Kaycee
    November 5, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I haven’t found a foundation that I love for my super oily skin, because I’m kind cheap (ha), and my skin tone seems to be hard to match. I’m fair, but with serious warm/yellow undertones. Most fair or fair/medium tints tend to be on the pinker side, and don’t match the rest of my skin at all. I’m currently using a Loeal True Match foundation and just cornstarch as a setting powder. I use Urban Decay’s DeSlick Setting Spray for any nighttime or special events. I don’t bother with it for the normal work day or running errands.

My best tip, however, is for blotting oil on the go. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those brown papery napkins you can find at Starbucks and other places (like the cafeteria at my work!). They quickly remove any oiliness and don’t remove my makeup! I seriously like them better than any blotting papers I’ve tried.

CHN
    November 5, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I just bought the new Laura Mercier foundation … The dept manager at Nordsroms, who appeared to know the product line very well told me to (1) shake it 10 seconds before applying and (2) only to apply with my fingertips, never a sponge. Thoughts ? And I totally agree with the other comment — Starbucks napkins make awesome oil blotters!

Shanna
    November 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm

For my oily skin, I’ve found that the Mary Kay foundation primer works best. Also, it lasts all day which is saying a lot because I’m a RN who works 12hr shifts. With the Mary Kay primer and the Revlon Whipped 24hr Foundation, I frequently get compliments from the night shift saying that I look so fresh like I just got there as opposed to just going home.

Rachel
    November 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’ve tried so many things to help with my oily skin and found a few products/techniques that work. I start with Supergoop’s CC Cream as my sunscreen (it’s SPF 35) and that has made a huge difference. I use Benefit’s Porefessional, then powder, THEN my foundation. The powder-before-foundation method has really changed how my skin looks and feels. I definitely recommend it to all the oily girls out there! Also, the Supergoop is great for getting rid of redness!

Katie
    November 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

The primer I use is the oil control version of prime time by bareminerals.

Rachel
    November 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I love Murad’s Oil Control Mattifier. I haven’t found a good primer to use with it yet.

Katie
    November 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Do you use the Ben Nye Banana powder to set the whole face?

justinalayne
    November 5, 2014 at 7:44 pm

The Becca primer sucks the moisture right out of my skin. I’m really dry and it’s terrible on me- I bet it’d be great for the oily girls!

Naomi Agostino
    November 6, 2014 at 4:31 am

I have super oily skin and I use Benefit Porefessional. I still find that my skin gets oily throughout the day though.

Katy
    November 6, 2014 at 4:35 am

Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free primer is my go to! Its the only primer I have ever used that seriously cuts down on the oil! I have super oily skin and it works wonders!

Pixie Lent
    November 6, 2014 at 7:25 am

Thanks for all your help Cara. I don’t usually comment but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you.

M
    November 6, 2014 at 11:08 am

At 36 yrs old my oily skin is starting to calm down a bit! Luckily I don’t have to deal with acne anymore. The best skin care lines I’ve tried are Proactive and Paula’s Choice. I actually stopped using moisturizer for awhile too, that might have helped. Paula’s Choice products with salicyclic acid are really the best at controlling oil and blackheads. There aren’t really any other products out there that work as well. They are all fragrance free too, to prevent irritation which could cause more oil.The skin balancing cleanser is THE Best. I think once you tackle the oil issue at this level, it’s better because you’re actually treating the issue and not covering everything over with tons of makeup. (I do think addressing other underlying reasons for excess oil, like stress, lack of sleep and not drinking enough water helps too.)

I love Revlon Colorstay (for normal skin) and apply it with a foundation brush. Rimmel Stay Matte foundation is pretty great also. I like it because you can layer it without getting cakey and gross. Ulta sells these great blotting papers by Palladio (I think, it has a geisha on it

Lena
      November 8, 2014 at 3:16 am

second on the palladio rice powder blotting papers. they’re the best.

Glynis
    November 7, 2014 at 4:36 am

I have the oiliest skin (as in it’s still a greasy mess 12 years post-Accutane) and I usually don’t use primer because it doesn’t really cut the grease and usually just gives me more blackheads in the places where I have pore issues. However, I’m really impressed with Smashbox’s newer Pore Minimizing version of their Photo Finish primer in the blueish bottle. It actually cuts the grease and doesn’t seem to clog my pores the way their traditional primer has in the past, and makes my foundation look perfect ALL day, as in from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm. It’s a HG find for super greasy skin.

I second all things said about the Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control spray, that stuff is the bomb dot com.

Also, thank you for mentioning the Colorstay and that you tested to see if there was a better one – that’s been one of my favorite foundations for a long time, especially because they make a super light porcelain color perfect for my skin in the winter. Most drugstore foundations don’t have a pale enough option for me. I do have to mention my other favorite drugstore foundation – the NYX Stay Matte foundation, it’s a bit lighter-feeling than the Colorstay but really stays on your face. Not as great of a color selection as the Revlon though.

MITCH
    November 7, 2014 at 5:07 am

I have oily combination skin, this post is just perfect for me. Thanks for the recommendation!

Lena
    November 8, 2014 at 3:28 am

here’s what i’ve found to work really well on my oily skin, living in a hot tropical country,
    – milk of magnesia really, really mattifies like nothing. BUT it turns my face a bit ashy. so must compensate with some brightening and pink foundation and stuff. a hassle really, but when you MUST have a matte face for 12 hours, this is good.
    – biore uv perfect face milk spf 50 is a sunblock, but this absorbs sebum like nothing else and will keep face matte for the whole day. HOWEVER, it has a high alcohol content. i can’t use this several days in a row else skin starts peeling. but this is definitely a mattifier, primer and sunblock in one as it also smooths skin for makeup application
    – cargo makes and hd mattifier, it also works as primer as it is silicone-based so will help smooth face. it is not as potent as the other two above in term of oil control, but if i’m gonna be mostly indoors, this is da bomb. a cheaper alternate is the monistat chaffing gel, but oil control is less sterling than the cargo.
    – guerlain parure gold foundation is the best in oil control. that is all.
    – erno laszlo foundation that you have to shake, is also da bomb. but? alcohol galore in there, so can’t use every day otherwise skin starts peeling.
    – guerlain meteorites compacts excellent to set makeup. can’t think of any stellar loose powder, they’re all pretty similar. i guess i don’t rely on powders to control oil but everything else underneath it.
    – palladio rice powder paper is the best blotting sheet in the whole planet.

i’ve enjoyed reading everyone else’s recommendations. i’ve tried some on the lit (hourglass primer is meh; UD’s sprays are inferior to the above; monistat; etc). i’m curious about the becca primer most of all.

abby
    November 8, 2014 at 4:24 am

Milk of Magnesia (as said before)!! I have very oily skin and nothing else I’ve tried has kept me shine free for more than a few hours. People always wonder why I have it but its super cheep and so amazing! It cane make me a little pale, but its usually fine if I rub it in.

beauty tips for oily skin | Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in
    November 12, 2014 at 1:39 am

[…] Tip tuesday: foundation for oily skin | Maskcara http://www.maskcara.com/Another oily skin must have is setting powder! I've found my favorite powder for oily skin is Ben Nye Banana Powder. I love that it really gets after those oils but I also love the color. It's yellow (hence the banana) so it doesn't … […]

Carly
    November 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Cara thank you so much for this post! As soon as I read it I went out and got myself some samples of the Laura Marcier Flawless Fluid Foundation, as well as her Mineral Primer, and I love them together!!! This is my new favorite foundation and primer. I have very oil skin and tend to get creasing, especially around my nose, and this is the best yet! I actually tried the foundation on its own and it made a difference, but once I started using the mineral primer a sales woman suggested that I try it was even better! I was initially going to try the secret finish with it and she had told me to try the primer and foundation with some translucent setting powdering first and if I was still needing a touchup then to come back for Secret Finish. Well, so far so good! I still may go back for the Secret Finish when the summer months come rolling around. Thank you, thank you, thank you Cara!!! You’re the bomb 😉

Makeup Tips | Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in
    November 16, 2014 at 1:30 am

[…] Tip tuesday: foundation for oily skin | Maskcara http://www.maskcara.com/In my defense I don't usually think of oily skin as a problem! I'm always trying to create the luminous glow with makeup and you guys have it built-in. Plus I think it makes your skin age slower. Grass is always greener complex, … […]

beauty tips for oily skin | Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in
    November 17, 2014 at 1:38 am

[…] Tip tuesday: foundation for oily skin | Maskcara http://www.maskcara.com/Tip Tuesday: Foundation for Oily/combination Skin! November 4, 2014. I have dry skin. And because I live in the desert a large percentage of my clients are dry as well. Which has caused me to become so laser focused on foundations for dry … […]

beauty tips for oily skin | Welcome to beautytipsforgirls.in
    November 19, 2014 at 1:39 am

Melissa
    December 2, 2014 at 11:35 am

This is going to sound crazy, but I use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel as a primer! I’ve tried Smashbox and Nars, but I totally prefer Monistat. Also, it’s so cheap and the tube lasts forever! That Revlon colorstay foundation is amazing for oily/combo skin. I switched from Clinique and Mac to strictly using the Revlon.

Jenny
    January 29, 2015 at 9:28 am

The Laura Mercier flawless fluide foundation is AMAZING. Amazing. By far the best I’ve tried (and I have dry skin). I like the Revlon Colorstay as well, but I’ve found recently it’s been clinging to my dry patches, so I think it’ll be better in the summer when it’s humid out!
    xx
    Jenny // Mish Mosh Makeup

Helen Moxon
    March 18, 2015 at 6:21 am

I do not speak French well so I used an online translator. Just wanted to say that this blog is excellent. I will visit regularly updated. I have a web site that contains information about the banana powder. I set it up as a hobby. Please call in and see if you like it. Banana Powder

Best Makeup Foundation For Oily Skin 2014 | Best Makeup Tips Online
    November 3, 2016 at 3:47 am

[…] Tip Tuesday: Foundation for Oily/combination Skin! – … – Reply CC November 5, 2014 at 1:32 am. I noticed a huge difference in my oily/combo skin when I switched from regular cleansers to doing the oil cleansing method. […]