My Life

About time

I’ve been thinking about this post I wrote a couple of years ago (and mostly the quote within it) a lot lately. Now that I have two littles my live has changed so much. It’s been hard trying to fit it all in and from time to time I find myself thinking it will be easier when baby Will gets a little older or when I this or that, but I know he’s only little for such a short time and I really don’t want to wish away. So I thought I’d repost this message since it’s been on my mind so much and since it really is so important to me to remind myself OFTEN.

Here it is:

I read this the other day (in a book called “Life as a Daymaker” it’s one of my favorites and anyone looking to be inspired should check it out!)

“We convince ourselves that life will get better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren’t old enough and think we will be more content when they are. After that we are frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage. We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his act together, when we get a nice car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire…the truth is, there is no better time to be happy than right now, if not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It’s best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.”

It really struck me.
As much as I do consider myself a happy person there are times that I “save” my happiness for later. I realized when I read this that happiness doesn’t save. It has no shelf life. No roll over minutes.  If you don’t use it, you lose it.

Why waste such a beautiful thing?

Why not just enjoy the terrible twos …cause I’ve heard three can be even crazier!

November 3, 2014 at 2:33 am

Hi Cara,
    I totally identify myself with this, and it’s very much true. We need to learn how to enjoy and be happy today!
    Btw, three’s are worse than terrible two’s, so watch out!

November 3, 2014 at 2:45 am

Thanks, I needed to hear this.

November 3, 2014 at 2:59 am

What an amazing quote – it is so spot on. I have so many friends I need to share it with too. Thank you 🙂

November 3, 2014 at 3:01 am

Perfect thing for me to hear today. Thank you! <3

November 3, 2014 at 3:41 am

Thank you I really needed to be reminded of this today!! Many Blessings to you!

November 3, 2014 at 4:13 am

Oh, man I hear you. We are in terrible two’s central right now… I barely made it through this weekend, pretty pleased to be in my nice quiet office right now…

But you’re right, it’s long days and short years! Let’s make the most of them! :0)

Diana Bartz
    November 3, 2014 at 5:08 am

Love this! You struck a cord with me today…I really appreciate the positivity here and in all of your posts. Thank you 🙂

Lacey Dawn Smith
    November 3, 2014 at 5:34 am

I love the post and the positivity, the pictures are adorable and yes I promise three is a little rougher then 2, they realize they aren’t “babies” anymore and gain this stubborn independence, but trust me it is beautiful because you will really see him come into his own and develope his personality and characteristics!!! WE have a lamb from Scentsy as well and we love it, my daughter calls it “Sheepy” lol they are adorable! Congrats on the new baby and I just love you and your posts and tips and tricks you are an inspiration!

wearabelle (@wearabelle)
    November 3, 2014 at 5:38 am

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you and what you said about keeping happiness! We don’t if we are going to be happier than right now.
    All the best

Jessica Johnston
    November 3, 2014 at 5:46 am

Thanks for sharing this thought! I struggle with living in the moment daily! Its great to have a reminder!

Kiersten M.
    November 3, 2014 at 5:56 am

a lot going on in my life right now and i totally needed this! thanks for brightening my day!!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    November 3, 2014 at 5:58 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I try hard not to wish time away, and think I will be happier when this or that happens, but I still do it sometimes. I know that my baby girl is only going to be little for such a short time, and I just need to treasure all of the time that she and I have together 🙂

Brittany Ruth
    November 3, 2014 at 6:13 am

Wow, I love this!

November 3, 2014 at 6:16 am

What a wonderful reminder! Happiness isn’t a destination … its a decision (adamantly it can be difficult) … which is why its nice to see we all have our moments of struggle with it. These kinds of reminders/messages give us the necessary push to re-think, to be here now, and not wait for happiness, but to find small moments of joy all the time. That change in perspective provides a lot of power.

November 3, 2014 at 6:30 am

Thank you! It’s taken me a long time to figure this out as an adult. When I catch myself saying that destructive line of “I’ll be happier when….” I remind myself – If I’m not happy now, I won’t be happy then either! I need a lot of reminding haha 🙂 Thanks again.

Kim Y.
    November 3, 2014 at 6:41 am

Thank you! I needed this today, as I am struggling a bit after having my third baby in 6 years :). Just ordered the book.

November 3, 2014 at 6:46 am

Sweet baby boy…love the pics. My little man will be 2 in Feb, and I am trying hard not to rush anything. I can’t believe how fast kids grow (you always here that but nothing beats experiencing it first hand!). Great reminder to count your blessings and always enjoy today. Thanks, Cara. By the way, Billy is a doll too.

November 3, 2014 at 6:57 am

This is true and a good reminder! And I would take the terrible twos over the horrible threes any day 🙂

November 3, 2014 at 7:05 am

Thanks for this! This was just what I needed today!

November 3, 2014 at 7:08 am

Thank you for posting. Exactly what I needed right now.

November 3, 2014 at 7:13 am

This is what I needed to hear today. I have fallen prey to the “happiness later if…” syndrome way too much lately and I’ve forgotten how awesome my day-to-day life is. You are a Godsend. Thank you beautiful girl who is gorgeous inside and out!

Tammy W. (NotARichGirl)
    November 3, 2014 at 8:03 am

I love this quote! I needed it today. Thank you!

November 3, 2014 at 8:33 am

What a great reminder! You are a lovely person, thanks for sharing it with the world! 🙂

November 3, 2014 at 9:49 am

Love the message, it’s so true!

November 3, 2014 at 10:53 am

I myself have a 4 week old baby, and in my sleep deprived state I often find myself wishing the same thing. Thanks for the reminder to relish every sweet moment. I needed that!

Diana M.
    November 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Thank you for this post, I needed this. I have a 2 year in the midst of her terrible twos and a 14 year old in the midst of being a teenager.

schoonheidssalon haarlem
    November 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm

bedankt voor het delen van je verhaal / thanks a lot for sharing i can find myself in this

November 4, 2014 at 12:11 am

November 4, 2014 at 6:41 am

This is a great post to bring up. I often find myself or family/friends saying, “If only this will happen then I will be happy.” I’ve done that to myself so many times, and what I wanted to happen happened and I did not feel any happier after. But I have learned in my late 20s to find happiness each day instead of looking always to the future. Great post 🙂

November 4, 2014 at 7:56 am

Thank you so much for this, it really couldn’t have come at a better time. I shared it with my two best friends as we are all struggling through very different situations and we also live pretty far away from each other now. Sharing this with them and bringing our focus back to “the now” really unified us yesterday when we talked about it. Its hard to express how meaningful this was. Thank you so much!

Summer Ann
    November 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

This had me tearing up and then laughing as soon as I saw the first picture. I can totally relate to that feeling and I am always reminding myself to not wish the days away and enjoy the moment. Boston is only 6 months but I am already missing the days he wanted to cuddle and nurse all day long. Now he would rather sleep in his crib than in my arms.

Summer Ann

Siera Bentley
    November 4, 2014 at 8:14 am

Just this morning I was just listening to one of the daily radio programs on 105.7 KSBJ… and they were talking about exactly the same thing! I find myself doing the same things, “if only… “. When I was single it was… If only I were dating my future husband. Now that I’m dating the man I want to marry it’s… If only we were married. The pattern can go on. I feel like this is the beauty of a relationship with God. In my alone time spent with him daily I can ask him to teach me how to be content in every situation and circumstance He brings me to! I know that every single day will be a battle to choose Him and his never-ending abundance of wisdom that He openly shares with me. It’s so exciting to think about the ways He inserts Himself into my life and teaches me how to live in peace and harmony with Him… Thanks for the post! I love your work and your blog, been reading it for a couple of years. If you have time I’d love for you to check out my blog at . It’s a lifestyle blog through the eyes of a outdoorsy-garden-girl!

Siera Bentley
    Myra’s Garden
    Bay City, Tx.

Tuesday Inspiration | LIQUID SUNSHINE
    November 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

[…] this advice that I stumbled across on Maskcara’s Blog. The time to be happy is […]

Erin L.
    November 7, 2014 at 6:05 am

Cara, I love this because it so speaks to me, too. I’ve always thought that happiness is just around the bend, and if I just wait it out, it’ll come to me. But you’re absolutely right, there’s no better time than the present to be happy because if you aren’t, then you miss out on life. Thank you for posing this!

November 8, 2014 at 3:02 am

for someone without a husband and kids, i have had to live by this motto. it’s difficult at times, but i remind myself all the time, i choose to be happy this moment.

Jessica Walter
    November 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

I have 4 kids going on 5 and I think the hardest thing to do is to actually live ‘in the moment’! I learned to do this a little better while the hubby was on a year long deployment. Not that I want time to go slow while he was gone cause heaven knows that ain’t true but I was the only parent watching them grow and I need to document everything for my husband. Also I honestly feel that putting children into every sport and activity known to mankind is the worst mistake one can make with your kids. If you want as much time with your kids, this is not the way to go!! Go hiking, fishing, crafts, paint nails, individual date nights, swimming anything really! Your kids will remember doing stuff but they will more so remember doing it with you! That’s my goal in a nut shell!