Baby Favorites

I figured I should write up my favorite items for new mama’s or one day mama’s while they are nice and fresh on my mind:)

Solly Baby Wrap
In all fairness I’ve never tried any other wrap, but I did talk to a bunch of friends and a whole internet of other moms to come to this decision to choose this one and I LOVE it. I am such a glutton for baby cuddles. I have no desire whatsoever to put him down. Ever. In fact I’ve got him on my chest right now. So this wrap is a life saver I love being able to get things done and play with Crush while still cuddling the little guy. The fabric is stretchy but still strong and secure and it’s also pretty cute:) I have the gray stripe but I’m wanting the hand dyed blue one too!

Sound Machine
This was by far my best purchase I made with Christian. Whenever I go into a friends house and everyone has to whisper and tip toe around as to not wake the baby I rush out and get them one of these babies. They are a LIFE SAVER. (Baby WIll is still pretty young so sounds don’t wake him much but he loves the white noise, it’s really soothing without me having to SHHHHH for hours a day:)

Nursing Bra
My first nursing bra that I purchased was pretty tight and I really think it was a big part in my already getting Masitist (yeah…not so fun!) I just forgot that I get major Dolly Partons when my milk first comes in so I probably just got too small of a size. I got this one as well though and I really love it. I still feel like a lady – not just a milk maker – but with all the functionality that I need.

Pumping Bra
Holy Moly. If you ever pump you NEED this bra. With Christian I never got one and at one point I had to pump for a few weeks straight (Crush had a bad latch and I was bleeding and cracking – sorry tmi) anyway it was always a 4 handed job to keep hooked up to the pump while trying to take care of a baby (who was usually hungry) and for years afterI had pumping nightmares. This time around I’ve pumped a few times and used the bra and it was just a BREEZE. Night and day I tell ya!

Hue Leggings
Two words: Muffin Top. I’ve got one in every pair of everything I own right now EXCEPT….These beautiful, generous and kind leggings. When I saw the words “Ultra Wide Waistband” I threw these in my cart immediately. Well they have truly exceeded my expectations. Not only does that waistband smooth out the tummy area but the leggings are nice and structured to smooth out the rest as well and they aren’t a smidgen see through (which I like) and yet they are still really comfortable and not hot. Kind of like the unicorn of leggings. Plus they’re on sale! You can get em at Nordstrom or if you have Amazon Prime get them THERE. I bought the gray ones originally but once I found out how awesome they are I got the black and brown as well.

Aden + Anais Bamboo Swaddles
I saw these on a friends instagram and honestly bought them for their cuteness alone but once I used them I fell doubly in love. They are perfect for swaddling and oh so soft and warm. (be sure to get the bamboo ones, they are MUCH softer!

Costco Wipes
Usually when you’re changing a diaper you have one hand to get wipes with and you only need one wipe at a time. Aside from the Costco brand every other type I use takes two hands or I end up with 4 wipes or no wipes because I need two hands to get them out of the dang bag!

MaxiCosi Carseat
I chose this carseat because it has a high safety rating and is also VERY light and if you’ve ever carted around a carseat you know how important that is! I also like that even though he’s really teensy it still cradles him in well and is soft and cozy.

Mamaroo baby swing
Nick’s mom bought us this amazing swing and Billy definitely loves it as much as we do. I know it’s a pricey but it’s really awesome! The swing motion is so seamless and mesmerizing. Plus it has a bunch of different swing motions (since they usually get sick of one) and sounds (including white noise!) It’s pretty great.

Covered Goods
I really prefer when I don’t have to use a cover because I really don’t think Will is big into them. He gets a little cranky and pulls away a bunch when he’s covered up and his little hair gets all sweaty and curly (which is cute but makes me feel bad!) and I’m usually just home most of the day, but there are still occasions when I need a cover and when that happens this is my favorite I’ve tried so far. It’s cute and discrete and I like that it covers my back a little too because my shirt sometimes comes up back there as well.

Happiest Hump Day to you all!

October 8, 2014 at 1:11 am

Kudos to you for having a new baby to take care of and getting this list sent out!

October 8, 2014 at 2:14 am

Thanks for the list!! I am having my 5th in December and I’ve never thought of the sound machine! Put that baby in my cart!:). I want to say I love that you can be real with the “bleeding and cracking” because let’s just be honest- things happen! Plus I love that you link everything to amazon because I am a prime freak!!:). Hope you are soaking it all in! The best right?!!!

Catherine R.
      October 8, 2014 at 3:48 am

I agree with Jenni! A great big thumbs up to you for being real about the nipple situation. My son got a lazy latch for a couple of weeks and I had a bad blood blister. It SUCKED! Thanks for reminding us that everyone goes through it!

October 8, 2014 at 2:55 am

Thanks for the legging tip! Was looking for a new pair that fit better around the middle. (Not post baby, just 41

Catherine R.
    October 8, 2014 at 3:46 am

I will have to check out those nursing bras when the time comes. The ones I used with my son weren’t very attractive. A nice bra goes a long way in making you feel good about yourself! I also really love that nursing cover! I used a Bebe au Lait but I like this more because the other showed my back some. Great post! Can I also just say how amazing you look! I know you aren’t quite back to where you were before the baby but he is still brand new and you already look fantastic! Keep up the good work!

October 8, 2014 at 4:21 am

It’s been many years since I’ve had a baby, but my favorite nursing bras had cups that opened from the center rather than the top, and closed with snaps. They were much easier to open and close and I could easily do it with one hand. They were similar to this one

October 8, 2014 at 5:21 am

My baby girl was born 9/17 and the sound machine has been a life saver as well as the vibrating rock and play!!! I have a ring sling but haven’t gotten the hang of it yet 🙁 and I made my own pumping bra by cutting holes in an old sports bra lolol. Not the prettiest thing but none of them are and it works! Congratulations on your new squish and best of luck!!!

Heidi D.
    October 8, 2014 at 5:28 am

My kids are 4 and 6 and I still buy the costco wipes! They are the best:)

Heidi D.

October 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

This is such a great list! We used the ergo baby carrier but I’m tempted to try the solly wrap for the next one. It’s so much cuter and it looks pretty comfy too.

The sound machine has been a lifesaver for us. We’ve traveled a few times with our 5 month old and I feel like the consistent sound brings familiarity to a new place.

Congrats on the new addition!

Summer Ann

October 8, 2014 at 7:54 am

The pumping bra was life save. I’m a working mama. I was able to pump and work at the same time. I swear by the simple wishes bra

October 8, 2014 at 8:06 am

I’ve got a boba wrap, but I’ve heard tons of great things about the solly wraps! They are so pretty! The boba wrap has a bit of a learning curve with how stretchy they are, but once I learned how to use it, it was awesome! No sound machine at my house – I’ve got two barky dogs so lil man had no choice but to learn to deal with sound. He sleeps right though anything 🙂 I bought knock-off aden + anais swaddlers from walmart. They didn’t start out crazy soft, but they’re getting softer with every wash. And they’re so handy for all kinds of stuff. Car seat cover, blanket, swaddler, nursing cover, etc. Just wanted to toss that out there in case anyone is afraid of the price of the real ones. I’m SO jealous of your mamaroo! Our aunts chipped together and got us a swing that was almost as expensive, but since this is baby number one, I sort of wish we had gotten a mamaroo instead! They’re smaller, quieter and have way more functions than our big fisher price guy. For anyone interested in those, heads up because there IS a difference between the rockaroo and the mamaroo! 🙂

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    October 8, 2014 at 8:31 am

I am totally getting that carseat when I have my next baby. The one I got for my baby girl just wasn’t great, and the second one I got for her still isn’t what I want! Thanks for posting these 🙂

Bailey Ferrulli
    October 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

Thanks for this list Cara! I’m 6 months prego with our first child and don’t even know where to start with these kinds of things! So overwhelming. What stroller do you like best?? I’ve had my eye on that car seat for awhile! Do you use the Quinny Buzz Xtra stroller with it? Thank you again for this list! Love it all 🙂 and congrats on your sweet little guy!

October 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

Did you order your normal size in those leggings?

October 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

That sound machine rocks! Best tip — PUT BATTERIES IN IT ALSO! If
    Your power goes out your baby/toddler will still sleep through the storm!

Congrats on your doll, he’s darling!

October 8, 2014 at 11:50 am

I’ve been shopping for a sound machine for awhile and by you’re recommendation, I just ordered the one you listed from amazon! Thank you for your wonderful blog!! 🙂

October 8, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Great list! We have almost everything on this list for our new 6 week old boy! My only question is about the Costco wipes. ..seems like the best deal but then I read recent reviews on the wipes and they complain of a bad smell…any experience with that? I’m sure they would return them if it was a problem.

October 9, 2014 at 3:52 am

When I was nursing, I used undercover mamas. Best invention ever:

Friday Favorites | Taking Back Monday
    October 10, 2014 at 4:57 am

[…] and now I’m intrigued.  I think I’ll need to pick up a pair at Nordstrom soon.  This review is pretty […]

October 10, 2014 at 8:40 am

Thanks so much for this, expecting a baby in January and feeling totally confused with what to get! The swaddles and the Solly Baby Wrap sound fab! xx

Mags xx

October 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Costco wipes r totally the best! I think they smell fine. My kids r 6 and 9 ans I still buy them too. Funny story… I used a name brand wipe for a couple years. One evening at a restaurant we started talking to another couple with babies and right there in an eating environment the husband said, “My hands would smell like poop even if I used wipes, but not with Costco wipes !” I figured if it meant so much to him to say it out loud while eating I would forgive the social woops and check them out. He was right!!! Second best lesson was getting professionally bra fitted 1 year and 3 years after nursing. Things just keep changing! Great list. Huge congrats on the precious bundle!! .

October 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

At 44 years old I am not post baby, but still ordered those leggings. They are amazing! At first I wished they were a touch longer, but then immediately realized it doesn’t matter since I will only wear boots with them. lol! I love the wide band and the quality of the fabric. They hold their shape and don’t attract tons of lint, which I hate. Thanks for bringing them into my life!

Ashley Cross
    January 25, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Welcome to the motherhood 🙂

June 28, 2015 at 5:05 am

I know this is from a while ago but it popped up in my pinterest feed so I clicked on it and I just wanted to say I’m so happy you breastfed! <3

Tenisha Maloney
    June 29, 2015 at 5:46 am

Once again thanx for sharing! This weekend i had trouble nursing and it reminded me of your heartfelt post on your difficulties, i don’t know how you pushed through! Hope you’re well, and your boys too

July 8, 2015 at 3:40 pm

You should try the stekki Bebe wrap if you like the solly