Before & Afters HAC Makeup

Monday Makeover – Aubrey

I’m Back!
It has been a really magical few weeks hanging out with my boys and not having to think about a darn thing aside from that, but also I’ve missed you guys!
Nothing like a break to make you excited and energetic all over again:)

Aubrey is one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met! When I first had the chance of doing her makeup I thought she looked really pretty but I kept going back to the photos and thinking, “I could have done a better job.”  I just couldn’t get it off my mind so I finally called her and asked if I could have a do over. This time i knew EXACTY what I wanted to do with her makeup and I LOVE the result.  Not to mention we did it at Jessica Janae’s studio with her beautiful photography which makes it 100 times better. I can’t tell you how frustrating it can be when I do a makeover and the photos just do not do it justice.  You know like when you feel SUPER cute but then you take a selfie and the person you saw in the mirror is NOT the same person looking back from your phone? That.

Plus Aubrey has the most sparkly blue eyes and lips for DAYS. So…without further adieu…

Photography: Jessica Janae

What I did:

First I started with a nice smoothing primer. Amazing Cosmetics Anti-Aging Primer.
And I primed her lids with some Soft Ochre
For her eyes I used IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette and the color Sunrise (an orangy gold color)  from lash up to the crease, then I deepened around the crease with Sunset (an orangy red color) Shading a teensy bit beneath her eye with the Sunrise as well. Then topped her off with some Too faced BTS Mascara, (pssst it’s a front runner in my best mascara search)
I filled her brows with Anastasia Dipbrow in Ebony (sounds really dark but I use a light hand I think one of the lighter colors would have been too warm)
On her lips I first lined with NYX Taupe Liner, then I blended that and layered on Buxom gloss in Cotton Candy
All of her foundation (and HACing) was done with the next generation IIID Foundation! Wheat (highlight) Stone (contour) Pink Grapefruit (blush)
One of my favorite tricks when there is redness or sun damage on the neck and chest is to use Sally Hansen Leg Airbrush spray in light. It evens everything out quickly and evenly surging having to use tons of regular foundation!

Hope you guys have a fantastic Monday!

October 6, 2014 at 2:50 am

Wow. She is gorgeous! Welcome back, Cara!

October 6, 2014 at 3:02 am

Stunning! Welcome back and congrats on your beautiful baby boy!

Laura Kesler
    October 6, 2014 at 3:19 am

She is beautiful. Quick question, you said the Too Faced mascara was one of your front runners. Do you like it better than the Benefit They’re Real?

Nadine Le Maitre
    October 6, 2014 at 3:21 am

Very well done Maskara. She looks beautiful. Hope you too have a fantastic Monday.

Pamm d
    October 6, 2014 at 3:28 am

ummmm whats her name? lol I thought u called her Aubry at top and Amber at bottom…

October 6, 2014 at 3:29 am

My favorite part is that you didn’t make her tan! Pale is pretty too! 🙂

October 6, 2014 at 3:46 am

Perfect! You did get it right 🙂 red orange is a color I love to use but doesn’t translate in photographs very well. But this looks great. Well done. I wonder what tool you used to cover her décolletage? It is nicely blended. Thank you for your excellent work!

Lisa Scott Provost
      October 6, 2014 at 3:57 am

I think it got added later, but Cara mentioned that Sally Hansen Leg Airbrush spray in light at the very end.

October 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I blend it with a big foundation brush but I think I should do a little video to show it!

October 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Yes, a video demo would be great!

October 6, 2014 at 3:47 am

I am so excited about this one because I have the exact same super red complexion. What color of the IIIDc foundation did you use on her? Cause when it comes out I want to buy it!

October 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm

The colors are named this time around! I Used the Stone contour and the highlight in Wheat. As soon as it’s available to purchase I’ll have this (and other photos) on the site to remind you!:)

October 7, 2014 at 3:42 am

Thank you! I am so excited to try it!

October 6, 2014 at 3:47 am

Wow. Stunning!

Lisa Scott Provost
    October 6, 2014 at 3:55 am

She (Aubrey? Amber?) is the super-cutest! I love that this captured that sweetness in a grown-up way without going too super-foxxy. Perfect balance. 🙂

Heather Hammel
    October 6, 2014 at 3:57 am

You did such an amazing job!!!

October 6, 2014 at 4:16 am

I love how you gave her a flawless finish. You did that just with the foundation? I try and try to cover my freckles (they are light) and they usually never cover, or I look like I caked the makeup on. I would love for you to do a tutorial on that!

October 6, 2014 at 4:16 am

Is the medium HAC going to available anytime soon?

October 6, 2014 at 4:37 am

She glows in just the right way. Great makeover!

Rachel @ Blonde with a Chanse
    October 6, 2014 at 4:47 am

She looks stunning!!! I love her eyebrows! Glad you’re back 🙂

Heidi D.
    October 6, 2014 at 5:35 am

SO happy to see you back! And so happy you got some family time:)

Heidi D.

October 6, 2014 at 5:38 am

The make looks great. Wehn i try to apply my makeup it looks caked on. I try to the HAC but it does not come out right. I am out of your make up and can’t wait until it comes back out.

October 6, 2014 at 5:38 am

I too have the same complexion — Brilliant Makeover!

October 6, 2014 at 5:47 am

How marvelous!!! You got a dramatic change! Congrats Cara 🙂
    Anyway, I also got a recent success removing my dark wrinkles around the eyes. I used Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Eye Treatment ( It really works! The wrinkles are vanishing and the skin is getting smoother than before. Besides, the brightness of my skin increased remarkably 🙂

Lorie Stennis
    October 6, 2014 at 6:28 am

I love all your makeovers. All the ladies are beautiful and you do such a good job enhancing that but, she looks RADIANT! Such a simple look but her personality just shines through.

Philly // Together in Italy
    October 6, 2014 at 7:09 am

Gorgeous eyes! My favorite part of her makeover is her eyebrows. They really are important and just make her look “done”

And welcome back, I’m looking forward to your new posts 🙂

October 6, 2014 at 7:12 am

wow, so pretty…especially her eyes!

October 6, 2014 at 7:14 am

Wow, wow, wow! This is the most amazing makeover. I am so impressed I can’t even believe it. She looks so pretty! Makeup is amazing. It can be so transformative and this makeover should be next to the definition of that in the dictionary. Gorgeous! You are literally a magician.

October 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

Amazing makeover! I also have a red complexion, how did you apply the Sally Hansen Leg Airbrush spray to her neck?

October 6, 2014 at 8:50 am

This makeover is very helpful and she looks beautiful!
    I am also very red. I second everyone else that is asking for a video on covering redness and freckles with your foundation and the Sally Hansen spray!!! 🙂 I also never knew orangey colors could look so good on that skin tone! I’ll have to do some experimenting! I’ve been wanting to try that palette out for months now!

Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog
    October 6, 2014 at 9:29 am

Oh my goodness!!! This might be one of the best makeovers. She is beautiful before, but the after is amazing!!! And yes, the BTS mascara = awesome. I did a post on it recently…still my favorite so far (and I’ve used a lot).

October 6, 2014 at 9:37 am

I love BTS but it always leaves smudges under my eyes. Is there someway to prevent that from happening?

October 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Yes, after your mascara dries, come up under your bottom lashes with clear mascara. It pushes your bottom lashes up a bit so they won’t hit your skin so readily. It also coats your mascara with clear and you shouldn’t see smudges:-)

October 8, 2014 at 3:43 am

Thank you! I will have to try that!

• Chery
            October 11, 2014 at 6:51 am

You’re welcome:-) The clear mascara also “pops” the color of the mascara somewhat. Of course “waterproof” is key as well. I am interested in your use of Sally Hansen’s Leg Airbrush…I see by the comments I am not alone! I also would love an explanation or vid on that one. This makeover, to me, is your most stunning yet!

Vicky McLellan
    October 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

Wow, wow , wow!! What a beauty!

October 6, 2014 at 9:43 am

Beautiful, love the lip color!!

October 6, 2014 at 10:20 am

So beautiful. You always do a great job. Her eyes are absolutely stunning!

Hope Howland (@HHDesigns)
    October 6, 2014 at 11:06 am

Oh gorgeous! Lovely!

Jane McGarry
    October 6, 2014 at 11:44 am

Gorgeous! And yes, tell us–is the medium HAC available soon? Love that she doesn’t look too made up, but still sooo much better!

Jenna Doeleman
    October 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Aubrey looks amazing! I really love the eyes and brows. The definition really makes them stand out even more than in the first picture!

Northern Beauty

October 6, 2014 at 12:24 pm

She is beautiful. Love what you did with her brows. Congrats on the baby!

October 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Can you explain how you applied the Sally Hansen Leg airbrush on her neck/face?

October 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I absolutely love the glowing effect you got on her eyes with relatively little makeup. If you were going to go for the same look for someone with green eyes, what shades would you choose?

Chrissie Dyson
    October 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Lovely makeover, such a pretty lady!

Jenny Kottke
    October 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Holy smokes! She could be on a bridal mag cover. So happy and radiant!

October 6, 2014 at 2:12 pm

What a beautiful lady! Just perfect- she looks like a million bucks. Congrats on the perfect make over!

Hannah Ison
    October 6, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Okay I just LOVE your blog! For my 16th birthday I was allowed to start wearing makeup. I came across your blog and have been hooked ever since. I love your techniques! Who needs beauty school when you have the internet? LOL! No really your blog is what helped me get on the right track straight from the beginning. I had to have my Dad approve so I could wear makeup, so I showed him your blog and said that I wanted to learn to do it like you. He was amazed at the makeovers you do. (I was too.) Just now I showed him this one and he thought it was Photoshopped. You do an AMAZING job. Thanks for taking your time to share your ideas and techniques to the public. 😀

One happy fan. 😀

October 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how big of a difference filling in brows can make. That one crucial piece of a makeup routine changed my life. You’re amazing Cara!

October 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm

One of the best I have seen yet!

October 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm

This is gorgeous! Great job! Just a question…when you use other photographers to capture your makeovers do they edit the pictures?

October 6, 2014 at 6:13 pm

She’s beautiful in both pics, but can you show the after with the exact same lighting, no editing software of any kind? Obviously the after has been edited. You can tell by looking at her eye color.

Sophie Hol
    October 7, 2014 at 1:23 am

Wow, your good! the difference is Amazing!

Sophie ~

October 7, 2014 at 3:17 am

Would love more info on the Sally Hansen Legs. You masking all that redness is remarkable!!!

October 7, 2014 at 6:22 am

This is amazing. The one thing I am having trouble with is in this instance it seems the brows are a little bit strong and they are competing for focus. I have only recently started filling my brows and have decided it is a must do but I just think they should be toned down a tiny bit in this instance. Over all the look is amazing!

The MakeupNation
    October 7, 2014 at 6:52 am

GORGEOUS CARA!!!! Love you and your work!!!!!

October 7, 2014 at 7:14 am

Foot some reason mobile isn’t displaying photos for me anymore. Darnit! But when I looked on the computer, this was lovely. Brows are powerful!

October 7, 2014 at 7:39 am

WOW she is beautiful! Her sparkly blue eyes are amazing!!!

October 7, 2014 at 9:50 am

Wow, isn’t she a beauty! Very well done, Cara! Happy to have you back! Kiss your new baby boy for us! 🙂

October 7, 2014 at 10:01 am

Cara, what does Miss Aubrey think about her makeover? I love her name, by the way! 🙂 Whenever you do one of your magnificent makeovers will you please be sure to include your model’s reaction to her new look? I would love to know what they think! 🙂 Such a beautiful look!!! Stunning, really.

The Makeupmama
    October 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm

She looks amazing! Aubrey, your eyes are gorgeous! I really like the contouring on her nose.

Annie Glass
    October 7, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Did you use the airbrush spray to even out her complexion on her face, too? It looks great! My face tends to be more red, would love to even out this well!

October 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm

You made her look younger, thinner and just…wow…amazing!

Bridgette Rydman
    October 8, 2014 at 1:42 am

I am astonished at how you made her pretty blue eyes shine and sparkle like a diamond, what a beautiful girl Aubrey is and you are talented beyond belief! I just started following your blog a few months ago and from what I gather you live in Las Vegas, is that correct? If so, I wish I would have found your blog earlier while I was living in Vegas as well. I would have loved for you to do a make over on me!

October 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

I don’t want to buy the entire IT palette but am looking for shades comparable to the sunrise and sunset eyeshadows. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maggie jensen
    October 9, 2014 at 5:57 am

Awesome job!!! She looks great! I have something that will heal the sun damage!! It an amazing product called Nerium! I can provide real photos of healed sun damage! Message me at

Liz Stratton
    March 5, 2015 at 10:51 am

I know I’m coming in a little late to this party, but I was really curious about the IIID color choices you made for Aubrey. My skin tone tends towards olive, but had a lot of red in it, which makes it hard to match. I picked “Sunlit” in the next gen foundation and it doesn’t look anything except, well, yellow. I noticed that despite Aubrey’s fairness, you had her in “Wheat” highlighter, rather than Sunlit, and I’m wondering what made you choose it. Thanks, and love your blog so much!

March 8, 2015 at 6:31 pm

You took her from pretty to POW!